Master of Science [M.Sc] (Data Science)
Field of Study:
- The University of Sydney offers a master’s in Data Science for a duration of 1 year (2 terms).
- Data Science is a course-based program offered on a full-time basis.
- The Master in Data Science is offered through classroom teaching.
- This major program consists of 72 credits of core units.
- The Master of Data Science is a professional degree for people who are passionate about drawing meaningful knowledge from data to drive business decision-making or research output.
- In this course, students will develop their analytical and technical skills to use data science to guide strategic decisions in an area of expertise.
- Through this course, students will explore the latest in data mining, machine learning, and data visualization while developing the skills to communicate data insights to key stakeholders effectively.
- The faculty-student ratio for this program is 1:14.
- If students have qualifications in areas such as health and education, a Graduate Certificate in Data Science can provide the data science capability to complement existing skills and provide a pathway to the master's program.
- The University of Sydney is ranked 61st globally for engineering and technology by the 2020 QS University Rankings by Subject.
- The average salary goes up to 62,105 USD after completing this program.
|Semester1||Feb 11, 2022|
|Semester2||Jul 15, 2021|
Fees & Funding
Tution & Application Fees
Eligibility & Entry Requirement
- Students must have a four year Australian Bachelor’s degree or Bachelor's (Honours) degree with a credit average (65%) or with a GPA of 4.5 or higher in Data Science from a recognized institution.
- Entry to the course is competitive and academic achievement in the final 2-semesters of undergraduate study, or equivalent is considered.
- Students must be qualified in IELTS(6.5) or TOEFL(79) and GRE (304) to get admission in this program.
Indian Student Eligibility:
- An overall grade average of 65% in the best 4 academic subjects.
- CBSE: The student must have all India Senior School Certificate awarded by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). A total of the best four externally examined subjects are considered.
- Indian School Certificate: The student must have an Indian School Certificate awarded by the Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE). The required score is the average of the best four subjects, including English.
- Indian HSSC: The student must have an average of the best five academic subjects in the Higher Secondary School Certificate (HSSC) in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, and West Bengal. The requirement is higher for other states.
- International students from non-English speaking countries need to prove English proficiency through IELTS/TOEFL or any equivalent test.
- Applicants who hold a three-year bachelor's degree without honors in a quantitative discipline can apply to the Master of Data Science based on employment experience if applicants can demonstrate a minimum of two years of relevant industry experience in IT or Data Science/Data Analytics.
Required Document List
The Documents required are:
- College Transcripts: The marks statement provided by the education board after completion of the previous academic qualifications.
- Financial Documentation: The Proof that shows the financial background of the student.
- Award certificates: A document that is presented as a form of recognition for participation or achievement.
- Letter of Recommendation: This shows who recommended the student to pursue the degree.
- Statement of Purpose: This is an essay or any written statement written by the student while applying.
- Resume/CV: This provides a summary of the experience and skills of the student.
- Tests Score statement: IELTS/TOEFL/PTE or other English proficiency testing results.
- Supplementary documents: Students may be required to provide additional information with the application, depending on which University of Sydney course student chooses.
|Head||Avg Cost Per Year|
VISA & Work Study
An international student must obtain a Student VISA for study and work in Australia for a period longer than 6 months. There are different types of visa such as:
- Student Visa: The student visa is a temporary visa that allows students to come to Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian educational institution.
- Visitor Visa: After completing the course, students may need to apply for a Visitor (Tourist) Visa to attend the graduation ceremony or stay to have a holiday.
- Relative’s Visitor Visa: If student's relatives wish to attend the graduation ceremony and require a letter to assist with their Visitor Visa application, they can order an official Graduation letter.
- Temporary Graduate Visa: The Temporary Graduate Visa allows graduates to work in Australia temporarily after they finish their studies. It has two streams: the Graduate Work stream and the Post-Study Workstream.
- Applying For permanent Residency: International students who wish to remain in Australia permanently need to apply for Permanent Residency (PR).
- If students are under 18 years of age, they must have approved accommodation and welfare arrangements in place before a visa can be issued.
- Students will need the following documentation when applying for a Student VISA:
- A copy of the offer letter
- Valid Passport
- A copy of electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- The visa application payment specified on the Department of Home Affairs website.
- Australian students' visa allows international students to work part-time while pursuing their full-time degree courses.
- A student visa of Australia under subclass 500 allows the student to work for up to 40 hours every fortnight during the academic session.
- Students can work for unlimited hours during holidays or scheduled breaks with an Australian student visa.
- To ensure working while studying in Australia, a student must pursue a minimum 2-year degree course from an Australian university.
- The international students working in Australia have the same basic rights in their workplace as other Australian workers have.
- The student can start working while studying in Australia, once have started their course of study.
- Having a minimum lawful pay rate is mandatory.
- The minimum wages in Australia are generally calculated on an hourly or weekly basis.
- As per an announcement made by the FWC (Fair Work Commission), the national minimum wage for employees in Australia has been increases by 3.5%. The new pay rate has been set at 13.07 USD per hour.
Career and Placement after Course
Followings are the career/Job opportunities after this program:
- Data scientist
- Data-mining analyst
- Data management
Scholarship Grants & Financial Aids
|Name||Amount||International Students Eligible||Application Deadline|
|Collegedunia $150 Scholarship Program||$150||Yes||N/A|
|BrokerFish International student scholarship||$1000||Yes||Dec 21, 2020|
|Australian Government Research Training Program||Variable||Yes||N/A|