Affiliated to Veer Narmad South Gujarat University (VNSGU), the Government Medical College in Surat, Gujarat dates back to 1964. The institution is renowned in the region for imparting medical education and also extending tertiary level care to approximately 4000 outdoor and 150 to 200 indoor patients. With a sprawling campus across 130 acres, the Government Medical College Surat houses a Civil Hospital, NABL accredited Pathological Laboratories, Blood Bank approved by NABH, apart from the Medical College, Nursing College, Physiotherapy College, and campus residences for students and staff members. Currently, the college offers a total of 29 MCI-approved programs in the medical stream, in both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, with an annual collective intake of 419.
Government Medical College Surat Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1964 | Public|
|Approved by||Medical Council of India (MCI)|
|Affiliated to||Veer Narmad South Gujarat University (VNSGU)|
|Set by||Government of Gujarat|
|Entrance Exam||NEET-UG, NEET-PG, NEET-SS|
|Courses Offered||MBBS, MD/ MS, M.Ch., DM, Diploma|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Test|
|Campus Area||130 Acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Hostel, Teaching-Bed|
Government Medical College Surat Courses
Government Medical College offers a total of 29 MCI-approved programs including the undergraduate MBBS degree and an array of PG programs in 22 broad specialty areas. The details of some of the courses are mentioned below:
|MBBS||Undergraduate Medical study||Duration: 4.5 years + 1-year internship
Eligibility: Should be 17 years of age as of December 31 of the admission year. Intermediate graduate with Physics, Chemistry, Biology with a minimum of 50% (45% for Gen-PH candidates and 40% for SC/ST candidates).
Selection Criteria: Valid NEET-UG score of minimum 50.
|MD||Pharmacology, Physiology, Psychiatry, Anesthesiology, Radio Diagnosis/ Radiology, Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy, General Medicine, Biochemistry, Social & Preventive Medicine/ Community Medicine, Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine/ Forensic Medicine & Toxicology, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: MBBS with a minimum aggregate score of 50%. Should complete the mandatory one-year Internship by March 31 of the year of admission; Also registered with the MCI/ State Medical Council.
Selection Criteria: Merit in NEET PG
|MS||General Surgery, Orthopedics, ENT|
|MD/MS||Anatomy, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ophthalmology|
|Diploma||Clinical Pathology, Child Health, Community Medicine, Ophthalmology, Oto-Rhino-Laryngology||Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: Completed an MCI-recognized MBBS and the mandatory one-year Internship; Also registered with the MCI/ State Medical Council
Selection Criteria: Merit in NEET PG
|M.Ch.||Plastic Surgery||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: Qualified either MD/MS/DNB or an equivalent recognized qualification or expecting to qualify by September 25, 2020. Should have registered with MCI/ State Medical Council.
Selection Criteria: Merit in NEET SS
Government Medical College Surat Admission
Admission is done centrally through separate Admission Committees for UG and PG courses under the Health and Family Welfare Department, Govt. of Gujarat. Selection is strictly based on valid NEET score, the minimum cut-off being 50 percentiles (45 for PH candidates, and 40 for SC/ ST candidates). Students need to register online at the official website to be considered for admission.
How to Apply?
- Step 1: Purchase Registration PIN online at the website or offline through select Axis Bank branches by paying a non-refundable fee of INR 200 for MBBS and INR 2000 for PG courses.
- Step 2: Complete the online registration process and take a print out of the registration slip.
- Step 3: Submit self-attested photocopies of all relevant documents supported by originals along with the registration slip at Government Medical College Surat or any other designated Help Centre for document verification.
Government Medical College Surat Placement
Medical graduates do not usually get placement facilities at the college. But since the students graduate as doctors, they get ample opportunities in clinics and hospitals to work. Many students go to higher education.
Students start to receive a stipend during their internship. The stipend starts around INR 15,000 per month. Also, doctors during residency during their MD and MS courses, receive stipends of INR 20,000 and above. The college also has its own hospital, where the doctors can get jobs.
Government Medical College Surat Scholarship
Below are mentioned some of the scholarships made available for the students. Some of the scholarships are mentioned below:
- All 1st-year students of ST category are given free books from the Central Library of Government Medical College Surat.
- Centralized Merit-cum-Means scholarship program for Minority Candidates.
- All ST/SC/SEBC Students get allowance under the Government’s Food Bill Schemes.
- Book Bank facility for students from SEBC/SC category.
- Special award for Topper in any Subject by Veer Narmad South Gujarat University.
- Students get coverage under Accident Insurance under the Veer Shahid Kinariwala Scheme.
- Students can also avail of financial assistance under the Mukhyamantri Yuva Swavalamban Yojana (MYSY).
- PG students receive a stipend as resident doctors attached to the Civil Hospital through the duration of their program.
Government Medical College Surat Facilities
The unitary campus of Government Medical College Surat houses not only the Medical College, campus residences, library, and sports facility but also a Civil Hospital which acts as the major field of practice for the aspiring medical professionals. Let us see in a nutshell the infrastructural facilities of Government Medical College Surat:
- Academic Facility: 5 Lecture Theatres equipped with audio-visual aids, each with a maximum capacity of 300 students; 24 Demonstration Rooms; 10 Practical Labs.
- Teaching Hospital: Teaching Hospital with an adequate number of Teaching beds (1197) for the convenience of students as well as a designated teaching area in each department.
- Library: Central Library with 24X7 reading room and a total collection of 20,500 book titles, 10,090 journals, and 130+ annual subscriptions to national and international journals. The Library also has an adjoining computer lab with internet connectivity to facilitate students.
- Hostel: Separate hostel facilities for boys and girls within the campus limits with a total capacity to accommodate 1262 students. Secure, well-furnished rooms on a sharing basis are allotted to applicants at the time of admission on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Canteen: Nutritious meals are served at multiple canteens/ food-joints on-campus at a subsidized rate to suit the students.
- Sports and Gym: A Physical Training facility with a dedicated Physical trainer as well as a cricket ground, Volleyball Court, Badminton Court, Table Tennis & many more indoor and outdoor games facilities at the Government Medical College Surat campus.
Click here Government Medical College Surat Hostel
Government Medical College Surat Faculty
Government Medical College Surat has highly qualified and accomplished faculty at the helm of academics. The numbers below present a clear picture of the strong pool of teaching resource at the college:
- Professor: 22
- Associate Professor: 52
- Assistant Professor: 84
- Tutor: 49
Government Medical College Surat FAQs
Ques. What is the total sanctioned intake for courses at Government Medical College Surat?
Ans. MCI prescribes the following numbers for the respective programs as annual intake capacity. The total number of seats for PG courses at the college is approximately 170 and 250 seats for the MBBS course.
Ques. What is the admission cut-off at Government Medical College Surat for the MBBS program in 2018-19?
Ans. The admission cut-off for MBBS degree at Government Medical College Surat for 2018-19 was 98.11%
Ques. What reservation provisions exist at Government Medical College Surat for special category candidates?
Ans. As per Government norms, the college reserves 15% of its total UG seats for All India Quota candidates while 50% of total sanctioned PG intake is kept aside for AQI candidates. Of the remaining seats, SC, ST, SEBC, and category candidates can claim 7, 15, 27, and 3 percent of seats respectively. However, out-of-state candidates are not eligible for these reserved seats.
Ques. What is the Tuition fees for the different programs at Government Medical College Surat?
Ans. The Annual Program Fees of the different programs at Government Medical College Surat for MBBS are INR 9 lakh, MD/MS INR 18 lakh.
Ques. Does Government Medical College Surat have DM courses?
Ans. No. Government Medical College Surat does not have DM courses to offer as yet. It only has M.Ch. in Plastic Surgery as a Super Specialty course.