Sri Ramachandra Medical college, Located in Porur (Chennai), is one of the constituent twelve colleges owned by the Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute. The institute has been ranked 11th by NIRF ranking 2019 in the medical category. SRMC Chennai provides various UG, PG and Higher Specialty Courses in different domains. Apart from the MBBS program, it provides MD (Post Graduation in Basic Medical Sciences) courses in 9 specializations, MD/ MS (Post Graduation Degree Clinical Courses) in 14 specializations, and M.Sc. (Masters in Basic Medical Science Courses) in 5 specializations. There are 23 specializations offered for Higher Specialty Courses.
Admission to MBBS program is done through NEET-UG scores. Admission to MD/ MS is done through counselling conducted by MCC (Medical Counselling Committee), DGHS (Directorate General of Health Services) based on NEET PG examination conducted by NBE (National Board of Examination) whereas admission to DM/MCh courses is done through counselling conducted by MCC, DGHS based on NEET SS examination conducted by NBE.
Post the course, many students are placed as permanent residential doctors whereas many start their own clinics.
Sri Ramachandra Medical College Highlights
|Established | Institute type||1985 | Private|
|Affiliated to||Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education & Research (SRIHER)|
|Recognized by||Medical Council of India, General Medical Council of UK, Medical Council of Thailand and Sri Lanka|
|Courses Offered||MBBS, PG (Basic Medical Science), PG (Clinical Courses), M.Sc. (Basic Medical Science), Higher Specialty Courses|
|Application Mode||Online / Offline|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance + Merit Based|
|Entrance Exam||NEET-UG, NEET-PG, NEET-SS, All India Entrance Examination conducted by the deemed university|
|Facilities Available||Library (with online public access catalog), Canteen, DTP and courier service, Sports fields and courts, Bank, Auditorium, Post Office, Grocery store, Laboratories, Transport Service, Gymnasium, Dining Hall|
Sri Ramachandra Medical College Rankings
The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2019 has ranked Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research
- 54th overall India category.
- 33rd in the university category.
- 11th in medical category.
- 20th in the pharmacy category.
The institute was ranked 15 among medical colleges in India in 2018 by India Today.
Sri Ramachandra Medical College Courses
Sri Ramachandra Medical College, Tamil Nadu offers MBBS, PG and Specialty courses in various specializations. A brief about the same has been listed below:
Read More: Sri Ramachandra Medical College Fees
Sri Ramachandra Medical College Admission
Admissions at SRMC Chennai are both merit and entrance-based. The application forms are available online as well as offline. Candidates must apply for the required entrance exams from their respective websites.
How to apply?
- Candidates should fill up the complete application form along with enclosing the required documents and send the same before the given deadline
- Payment of the application fee can be done through a demand draft drawn in favour of “Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute (Deemed to be University)” payable at Chennai.
Read More: SRMC Chennai Admission
Sri Ramachandra Medical College Hostel
The institute has separate hostel facilities for both men and women students, with 3,500 single rooms available inside the campus to accommodate undergraduate and postgraduate students in medical and other disciplines. The campus has continuous running soft water supply and power supply.
Sri Ramachandra Medical College Facilities
- Library: The institute has a world class library with Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC). The library also has an Internet browsing facility, photocopying room, subscription to international journals, Wi-Fi and a study hall.
- Canteen: Hygienic, wholesome food is served at the canteen. Small service counters are available in the college.
- DTP and Courier Service: The service offers mailings and other communications tools to best meet students’ mail needs
- Sports: The institute has a cricket pitch, football field, Tennis court, Volleyball court and basket-ball court wherein students can actively participate in their favorite sports
- Bank: The institute has a bank and ATM facility for students for easy money transfer
- Auditorium: A large auditorium is home to most major events like conferences and convocations in the campus
- Grocery Store: A small Grocery store at the Hostel provides students with toiletries and other items
- Laboratories: The institute has well equipped Laboratories where students do their practical learnings
- Gymnasium: The institute has a well-equipped gymnasium facility for both boys and girls (separate). Those keen on fitness can make use of the gym
Other facilities include:
Sri Ramachandra Medical College FAQs
Ques. How is the faculty of the college?
Ans. Sri Ramachandra Medical College faculty are not only experts at their field of interest but through faculty development programs are always constantly redefining their skills in education. Each department has a Head and a Dean and the other faculties are working at the following positions:
- Professor: 518
- Associate Professor: 125
- Assistant Professor: 211
Read More: SRMC Chennai Faculty
Ques. What all achievements has the institute garnered?
Ans. The institute has following achievements to its name:
- The WHO has designated Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute as a WHO Collaborating Centre for Research and Training in Occupational Health
- In the 8th Medgate Today India Healthcare Awards 2018 function held at Mumbai in March 2018, Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute was awarded the ‘Best College encouraging Medical Entrepreneurship’ under the category of Best Private Medical Colleges.
- The Medical Council of India (MCI) has recognized and upgraded the Regional Centre in Medical Education Technologies, Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, as a Nodal Centre to conduct both Basic and Advance program in Medical Education Technologies for all medical college faculties in the region
Ques. How many programs does the institute offer?
Ans. Sri Ramachandra Medical College offers UG, PG and Higher Speciality Courses. It also offers various UG paramedical courses. For PG courses, it offers MD (Post Graduate Degree in Basic Medical Sciences) courses in 9 specializations, MD/MS (Post Graduate Degree in Clinical Courses) in 14 specializations and M.Sc. (Masters in Basic Medical Science Courses) in 5 specializations with capacity to intake a total of 166 candidates for MD/MS Programs and a total of 21 candidates for M.Sc. programs. For Speciality Courses, it offers DM/MCh Programs in 15 specializations with a total intake capacity of 32 students.
Ques. Does the college have an international student exchange program?
Ans. Yes. Every year lots of international students apply to study in the institute. Likewise there are International outbound programs as well which allow students to study abroad for a semester. Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (SRIHER) has over 100 MoUs with reputed International Partners across the world for various kinds of engagement.
Ques. Does the college provide any scholarship to students?
Ans. In order to aid meritorious and brilliant but poor/unaffordable students undergoing courses of study in the constituent units of Sri Ramachandra (Deemed to be University) the parent Trust, Sri Ramachandra Educational and HealthTrust, has set up a fund to award scholarships. The Scheme is named as Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research – Founder Chancellor Merit-cum-Means Scholarship. It is eligible for students who have passed the first year of their studies.
- It is provided to meritorious but poor students, whose parental/guardian’s annual income is INR 3 lakhs or less
- This scholarship is for students pursuing undergraduate courses
- The scholarships awarded will be towards full or partial tuition fee payable by the students and are tenable for the year of award only