National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Kannur, established in 2008, is located in God's own country, Kerala. It is ranked 9th amongst the 16 NIRF institutes across India, which is truly an achievement. Some of the top recruiters of NIFT Kannur are Arvind Lifestyle Brands Limited, Bata India Limited, H&M, Manyavar, and many other famous and popularly known brands and companies.
NIFT Kannur Highlights
|Types of Courses offered||UG and PG|
UG: B.Des, B.F.Tech
PG: MFM, M.Des
|Admission Criteria||Merit based+Entrance exam+situation test|
|Entrance Exams||NIFT exam or GAT/CAT|
|Facilities||Laboratories, resource center, workshop block, hostels, auditorium, gym etc|
NIFT Kannur Courses
This institute offers the UG and PG courses. The overview of the courses are mentioned briefly below:
Course Highlights and Selection Criteria
|Name of Course||Specialization||Duration||Basic Eligibility Criteria||Selection|
|Bachelor of Design (B.Des)||-Fashion communication -Knitwear design, -Fashion design, -Textile design.||4 years||10+2 passed with PCB + English as subjects along with NIFT entrance exam or GAT/CAT.||Entrance Exam|
|Bachelor of Fashion Technology (B.F.Tech)||Apparel production||4 years||10+2 passed with PCB + English as subjects along with NIFT entrance exam or GAT/CAT.||Entrance Exam|
|Master of Fashion Management (MFM)||-||2 years||UG degree from a recognized university/ board or 3 years diploma from NIFT/NID.||Entrance Exam + Skill test|
|Masters of Design (M.Des)||Design Space||2 years||UG degree from a recognized university/ board or 3 years diploma from NIFT/NID.NIFT||Entrance Exam+ GDPI|
Read More NIFT Kannur Courses and Fees
NIFT Kannur Admissions
The process of applying for the courses in NIFT has a common method irrespective of the campuses.
- Visit the website and fill out the form which asks for the personal and educational information of the student.
- Application fee of INR 1500 (for genFT Kannur Admissionseral merit/OBC) or INR 750 (for SC/ST/PHP) must be paid through online or demand draft in the favour of “NIFT HO” payable at New Delhi.
- If the fee is paid through DD, the information must be specified in the application form by the student.
- It is advised to preserve a copy of the application form until the admission process completes it.
Read more NIFT Kannur Admissions
NIFT Kannur Placements
The placements in this college are done at a central level. The student may receive pre-placement offers or can attend the placements on campus. The students from this institute not only get placed in top fashion businesses but also in media, journalism, consultancy and other similar fields. Some of the top recruiters are Arvind Lifestyle Brands Limited, Bata India Limited, H&M, Manyavar, and many other famous and popularly known brands and companies.
NIFT has a very organized central level placements which are done in 2 ways:
- On-campus: Here the students can register for the placements and attend the interview as per the scheduled date and time provided.
- Pre - Placement Offers: These offers are given before the on-campus placements based on the student's training, projects, internships, etc. The students who are placed here, will not be allowed to participate in on-campus placement.
The companies which come for recruitment may fall under these categories:
Product Group - Such companies expect expertise from the students in the following:
- Garment & other sewn products
- Lifestyle Products Services
Types of Firms - The following types of companies may come for placements :
- NGOs Export Organisations
- Domestic Retail and Manufacturing Organisations
- Multinational Retail Organisations
- Media/ Advertising/Publication Houses
- Buying Houses & Buying Agents
- Business Consultancies
- Start ups
On an average, the minimum salary each passout gets is
Bachelors Degree : INR 3,30,000 per anum
Masters Degree : INR 4,01,000 per anum
NIFT Kannur Scholarships
NIFT Kannur offers the scholarships and educational loan reliefs :
- Financial Assistance to meritorious students: the students can avail of this scholarship by filling out the application form and submitting it along with income certificate and marks card.
- Educational loan: NIFT's collaboration with Union Bank of India(UBI) offers educational loans at an interest rate of 11.75% for general merit male students and 11.25% for SC/ST/Female students.
- Assistantship Program: The student can apply for a part-time job within the college while studying.
NIFT Kannur Facilities
NIFT Kannur which got its permanent campus in 2012, has a beautiful campus of 10 acres which is truly a treat to the eyes. This college which has a beautiful campus, offers some of the best facilities like
- Hostel: NIFT Kannur provides students well-maintained dormitories as well as separate rooms with 24-hour power backup and security. There are separate facilities for boys and girls. The hostel also has a specially designed, separated study area for the students. The facilities also include WIFI access to students.
- Cafeteria: The college has a nice and spacious cafeteria for students and staff. The food items are available at a very considerable rate. The dishes are cooked by well-trained cooks at the university campus keeping in mind the quality of food.
- Library: The university has a well-ventilated Central library which contains abundant books covering all the fields being taught at the NIFT Kannur. The college subscribes to various reputed National and International journals.
- Auditorium: The Institute has a well-facilitated auditorium for the purpose of organizing various conferences, symposiums, workshops, seminars, and various other academic and cultural activities.
Under the guidance of Dr.Pawan Godiawala, director, there are many reputed and qualified members working in NIFT, Kannur as faculties.
NIFT Kannur FAQ's
Ques. Can a student join NIFT after completing 10th?
Ans: No. The minimum requirement for joining any bachelor’s degree here is 10+2 with PCB as compulsory subjects along with English.
Ques. What are the other courses provided in NIFT other than bachelor’s and master’s degrees?
Ans: NIFT provides Continuing Education (CE) programs, which have been developed with interaction with the industries The participants will be taught both theories and given practical training. They will also receive a certificate by the end of this program.
Ques. Which is the main branch of NIFT?
Ans: All the branches of NIFT run under the guidance of the director who is in New Delhi. However, each campus has its own heads and each department is looked after by their respective heads.
Ques. Is there any way that some campuses have better placements than others?
Ans: As it is clearly mentioned, the placement process in NIFT is centralized and common for all the students belonging to the NIFT family.
Ques. Since it is a fashion institute, will the students be given the chance to showcase their work?