IISER TVM is accepting applications from eligible candidates for admission to the Ph.D. in the Schools of Biological (SoB), Chemical (SoC), and Physical (SoP) Sciences for the session beginning from January 2021. Candidates can apply before the last date i.e. November 20, 2020 along with an application fee of INR 500 for GE/OBC categories and INR 250 for SC/ST/PH categories.
Indian Institutes of Science Education & Research (IISER Thiruvananthapuram) offers academic programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral level. A total of 900 students in UG, 265 students in Ph.D. program, and 17 students are enrolled in Integrated Ph.D. at the Institute.
IISER Thiruvananthapuram Important Date
|Ph.D. Registration Deadlines||01 Nov - 20 Nov, 2020|
|Interview dates for Biological Sciences||09 Dec - 11 Dec, 2020|
|Interview dates for Chemical Sciences||10 Dec - 11 Dec, 2020|
|Interview date for Physical Sciences||07 Dec - 08 Dec, 2020|
IISER Thiruvananthapuram Highlights
|Type of Programs||UG, PG, and Doctoral|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Test|
IISER Thiruvananthapuram Courses
Given below are the courses offered by the Institute with their eligibility criteria:
Course 1: BS-MS Program
- Duration: 5-years | Full-time
- Eligibility: Intermediate graduate with science stream from a recognized board
- Total Fees: INR 50,885
Course 2: Integrated MS-Ph.D. Program
- Duration: 2-years | Full-time
- Eligibility: Bachelor’s degree in Biological/ Chemical/ Mathematical/ Physical Sciences/ Engineering/ Technology
- Total Fees: INR 52,865
Course 3: Ph.D. Program
- Duration: 10 semesters | Full-time
- Eligibility: Master’s degree in Science OR Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Medicine
- Total Fees: INR 38,615
IISER Thiruvananthapuram Admissions
The admission process of the Institute is managed by the Joint Admissions Committee (JAC). The candidates seeking admission will require to meet the basic eligibility requirements as per the Insitute.
BS-MS (Dual Degree) Admission
Eligible candidates can take admission through any of the 3 channels: Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojna (KVPY); Joint Entrance Exam (JEE Advanced); and State and Central Boards Channel (SCB). Given below are more details regarding the admission procedure:
- Candidates securing a rank within 10000 in the Common Rank List of JEE Advanced can apply.
- Students applying through the SCB channel will have to appear on the IISER Aptitude Test (IAT). This test is conducted at various centers across the country.
- Candidates having a valid KVPY fellowship are eligible to apply for admission. They will be required to meet the cutoff criteria as per their board of examination.
Integrated Ph.D. Admission
Selection is made on the basis of the Entrance Exam and Personal Interview conducted by the Institute. Candidates applying in the School of Physics must have a valid score of in JEST.
Selection to the Ph.D. course is based on scores obtained in GATE/ NET/ UGC-JRF /CSIR-JRF /JEST /JGEEBILS /INSPIRE-PhD /NET-LS entrance exams. The shortlisted applicants will be invited for a written test/interview at the institute. The final selection will solely be based on the performance in the interview.
Know more: IISER Thiruvananthapuram Admissions
The Institute offers admission through various channels and one among them is State and Central Boards (SCBs). The following table and graph show the total number of marks required for admission in IISER.
|Cutoff marks for admission (out of 500)|
Following seats are reserved as prescribed by the Insitute:
- 15% and 7.5% of total seats are reserved for Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe respectively.
- 27% of seats are reserved for candidates belonging to Other Backward Class (OBC)
- 3% seats are reserved for students who are Physically Disabled category.
- 10% seats are reserved for students belonging to EWS category
IISER Thiruvananthapuram Scholarships
The Institute offers the following scholarship to the students studying in the Institute:
- INSPIRE Scholarship: A limited number of scholarships are available for students admitted through JEE Advanced and SCB channel.
- KVPY Fellowship: Students admitted through the KVPY channel will be eligible for scholarships ad per KVPY norms.
- Integrated Ph.D. Fellowship: The students will be awarded a scholarship of INR 10,000 per month by the Institute. They must maintain a minimum CGPA of 6 until the course is completed.
- Ph.D. Fellowship: The Ph.D. scholars will be awarded fellowship per month as par with CSIR-UGC Junior Research Fellowship.
IISER Thiruvananthapuram Facilities
The campus is well-equipped with the following facilities for the students and teaching staff:
- Hostels: The Institute is a fully residential campus with hostel facilities for both male and female students. It has accommodations for nearly 1050 boys and girls with 2 dining halls.
- Library: It has an extensive collection of books, journals, magazines, e-books, software, images, etc. in all areas of science. The central library has affiliation with major library networks like E-ShodSindhu Consortium and the Developing Library Network.
- Laboratory: It has state-of-the-art computer laboratory facilities for Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. It has more than 50 workstations for the students.
- Health Centre: The Institute has a well-equipped health centre with ambulance service 24*7.
IISER Thiruvananthapuram Faculty
The faculty members at the Institute are engaged in research areas of basic sciences. Most of them have a high degree of autonomy and creativity. Given below are the details for the faculty members:
Prof. K. Shadak Alee
- Qualifications: M.Sc and Ph.D. in Physics
- Awards: Best poster award at ‘International conference on materials science and technology’; ‘International Discussion Meeting on Emerging Themes in Plasmonics and Nanophotonics’
Prof. Bikas C. Das
- Qualifications: B.Sc, M.Sc, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Awards: SERB Early Carrier Research Award, CSIR Senior Research Fellow, Postdoctoral Scholar
Prof. Kalika Prasad
- Qualifications: B.Sc, M.Sc, and Ph.D.
- Awards: Indian National Science Academy medal for young scientist, Prasadi Lal Gold Medal, Kanhaiya Lal Kakkar Gold Medal
Prof. Nisha N. Kannan
- Qualifications: B.Sc, M.Sc, and Ph.D.
- Awards: Best Poster Presentation at International Conference on Darwinism and Fellow of Takeda Science Foundation International Fellowship
Prof. Ramanathan Natesh
- Qualifications: B.Sc, M.Sc, and Ph.D.
- Awards: HFSPO Fellowship Grant, Trust Advanced Training Fellowship, and Ramalingaswami Fellowship
Click here: IISER Thiruvananthapuram Faculty
About IISER Thiruvananthapuram
The Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram was founded in the year 2008. It is located in Vithura, about 40 km from Thiruvananthapuram city. It is one of the most picturesque Indian campuses. It was established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India, based on the recommendations of the Scientific Advisory Council to the Prime Minister.
IISER Thiruvananthapuram FAQs
Ques. I have completed class 12th in the Science stream. To which program can I apply at IISERs?
Ans. Any intermediate graduate in the Science stream can apply for the BS-MS dual degree program in IISER. S/he must meet the eligibility criteria as provided by the Insitute. Also, for applying to the program, the students must have studied Mathematics in class 12th.
Ques. Do I need to apply separately for different IISERs?
Ans. No. All IISERs admit students through a common application process. One application form is valid for all of the Institute. It only accepts an online application form available on the admission portal.
Ques. Is there an application fee for the application process?
Ans. There is a non-refundable application fee of INR 2,000 for candidates applying under General, EWS, and OBC-NCL categories, and INR 1,000 for Persons with Disabilities and candidates under SC/ST category. The fee for foreign nationals is USD 100.
Ques. Can I apply for IISER Aptitude Test (IAT) if my result for class 12th is awaited?
Ans. Yes, you can apply for the entrance test and appear in the same. But, you will only be eligible for admission only if you satisfy the minimum eligibility criteria. While filing the qualifying exam result in the application form, candidates can choose the “Result Awaited” option. IAT is a computer-based test conducted in various cities across India by IISER.
Ques. I am shortlisted for the interview for admission in Integrated Ph.D. Program, what documents should I carry?
Ans. One needs to carry the following documents:
- Print out of online application form
- Print out of fee receipt
- Educational Qualification Certificates (UG, 10th, and 12th)
- National level examination certificates (GATE/NET/UGC-JRF/JEST etc.)
- Photo ID (PAN card/ Voter card/ Driving License/ Passport)
- Category Certificate in case of SC/ST/PwD/OBC