Bachelor of Arts English Literature is a 3-year undergraduate course that teaches students about various avenues of English and Indian literature including novels, plays, poetry, prose etc. Students are taught about the basics and advanced techniques of writing in this course too.
BA English Literature is one of the most popular programs among students who wish to pursue a career in scriptwriting, journalism, teaching etc in India. The range of topics covered in the program starts from Shakespeare to Elizabethan age literature, Contemporary and Western Literature helps students develop essential thinking and reasoning skills later in life.
Most colleges that offer BA English Literature programs admit students either on merit basis or entrance examination. For eligibility criteria, the candidate must have completed their 10+2 level examinations successfully with at least 50% marks secured from a recognized board. Additionally, the candidate must have had English as a core subject.
Some of the top colleges in the country that offer a BA English Literature program are as below.
|India Today Rank||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|1||St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi||Merit-based||INR 34,890||INR 3,60,000|
|2||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi||Merit-based||INR 16,390||INR 7,50,000|
|3||Hindu College, New Delhi||Merit-based||INR 16,540||INR 4,00,000|
|4||Miranda House, New Delhi||Merit-based||INR 14,160||INR 3,50,000|
|5||Kirori Mal College, New Delhi||Merit-based||INR 12,345||INR 4,50,000|
Upon graduating with a BA English Literature degree, students can expect to gain employment as teachers, journalists, writers, proof-readers, editors etc. Job opportunities are abundant in various sectors of the economy, private and public organizations. The average salary is around INR 2,00,000 to INR 5,00,000 lacs p.a.
BA English Literature Admission Process
Admissions into most BA English Literature offering colleges is on merit-basis. Students are admitted on the basis of their 12th standard marks obtained. Some institutes do hold entrance examinations to admit students. The admission season is around May to July of each year when each institute releases its admission deadlines and admission process. The steps to be admitted into a BA English Literature college is as follows:
Step 1: Register for admission using the university’s website online or offline by visiting the campus.
Step 2: Fill up the application form and attach all required documents to support the admission.
Step 3: Upload and submit all documents.
Step 4: Submit the completed form and pay the application fee.
Applications submitted will be judged based on the cut-offs of each college. If a student meets the cut-off they will be invited for further admission process including entrance examination or an interview round. If seats are available and all due diligence has been done, the candidate will be offered a seat at the college.
BA English Literature Eligibility Criteria
Generally, the eligibility criteria to be admitted into a BA English Literature college is as follows:
- As per the minimum qualification requirement, the student must have completed their 10+2 level examinations with at least 50% scored from a recognized board.
- As a part of the core subjects, English must have been studied by the student.
Eligibility criteria will vary from college to college.
BA English Literature Entrance Exams
Some institutes conduct their own entrance examinations every year as part of their admission process. The important or most popular entrance examinations for BA English Literature are as below.
- DUET: Delhi University Entrance Test or the DUET is the entrance examination asked for admission into some University of Delhi affiliated colleges. The exam is computer-based and held during the month of May each year. The exam is held for over two hours.
- BHU UET: Banaras Hindu University’s Entrance Examination or the BHU UET is required for admission into undergraduate programs. The exam mode is online and is of 2 hours 30 minutes duration. The paper pattern is a multiple-choice question format. The topics and sections will depend on the course applying for.
- Jamia Millia Islamia University Entrance Exam: Jamia Millia Islamia conducts their entrance exam during the month of May every year for admission into the BA English Literature program. Depending on the program applied to, candidates are required to appear for a counselling round after the entrance examination.
The table below lists some of the important dates and details of the BA English Literature Entrance Exams.
|Exams||Conducting Body||Mode of Exam||Date of Exam|
|DUET||Delhi University||Online||To be announced|
|BHU UET||Banaras Hindu University||Online||To be announced|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University Entrance Exam||Jamia Millia Islamia University||Online||To be announced|
How to prepare for BA English Literature entrance examinations?
The paper pattern for entrance examinations varies from institute to institute. Most papers will have the following sections:
- Verbal ability
- Quantitative Aptitude
To prepare efficiently for the entrance examinations, the following tips can be referred to:
- The verbal ability section contains questions on grammar, sentence restricting, vocabulary, parajumbles and reading comprehension.
- To score higher in the verbal ability section, reading and practising as much as possible is recommended.
- The quantitative aptitude section contains questions on basic mathematics. Topics from classes 10th to 12th including matrices, permutations & combinations etc. are covered.
- For the reasoning section, students are tested on their analytical thinking. The best way to score high in this section is to practice past papers.
- Most entrance examinations also contain a section on general knowledge. The daily news must be read and kept up to date for this section.
How to get admission in a good BA English Literature college?
- To gain admission through merit-based BA English Literature colleges, a high 12th class percentage is required. Admissions are highly competitive at the top colleges.
- Cut-off lists and admission details are advertised regularly during the admissions season, they must be kept track of.
- For admission through entrance examination based colleges, the exam pattern, past papers etc. must be downloaded for practice.
- Reading through the latest national and world news must be made a habit. It is helpful during entrance examinations.
- Preparations must be started at least one year before admissions start so that there is enough time to be well prepared.
BA English Literature: What is it about?
- BA English Literature introduces students to English literature through the grass-root level to more advanced levels of topics.
- English literature not only covers subject areas like prose, poetry, essays, grammar, idioms etc. but also studying the works of writers like Jane Austen, Dickens, Shakespeare, Shashi Tharoor, Salman Rushdie, Vikram Seth etc. Topics covered start from the middle ages to up to the 21st century.
- The course helps students develop thinking and interpreting skills by teaching them literature through social, historical and political contexts. Communication skills are greatly improved in students of this program too.
- Most students either opt for higher studies or look for employment opportunities after graduation. Higher studies courses include MA or LLB or MBA etc.
- Some job profiles that a BA English Literature student may get hired as are journalist, copywriter, teacher, editor etc. Jobs can be found in both the private and government sector.
BA English Literature Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Arts|
|Examination type||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||10+2 (English as subject)|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Entrance Examination|
|Course Fee||INR 18,000 to INR 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 to 5 LPA|
|Job Positions||Editor, Proofreader, Writer, Researcher, Primary School Teacher, High School Teacher, Technical Writer, Copywriter|
Why study BA English Literature?
Each student admitted into the BA English Literature program has their own personal goals and reasons to pursue the program. Some of the reasons why this program should be considered are stated below.
- Multiple career opportunities: One of the major benefits of studying BA in English Literature is the diverse career opportunities that are available. Students can choose to work or study in their line of study or in a completely different field. Graduates from this program are in demand, especially in media and publishing houses, in both the private and government sectors.
- High salaries: The range of job profiles available are so wide, the salary range is also accordingly quite large for a BA English Literature graduate. Salaries will differ from company to company and according to the job profile. One can expect to earn between INR 2,00,000 lacs p.a. - INR 5,00,000 lacs p.a.
- Higher studies: An English Literature graduate can take admission in Masters of Arts in Literature and then a research-based program after completing their BA English Literature program. One attractive feature of this program is that graduates are not restricted to only Arts-based masters programs only. Management programs, law courses etc. all admit BA English Literature students.
BA English Literature Course Comparison
BA vs. BA in English Literature
|Parameter||BA English Literature||BA|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Arts in English Literature||Bachelor of Arts|
|Overview||This program specializes in all aspects of English Literature.||The BA program provides a general overview of all arts related subjects without specializing in any one subject.|
|Objective||This is a program designed to teach students about writing, grammar, poetry, prose etc.||Aim of this program is to familiarise students with arts subjects.|
|Admission Criteria||Students are admitted on both merit-basis and entrance examinations. Cut-offs are higher for this program.||Students are admitted on merit basis. Cut-offs are on the lower end.|
|Average Fees||INR 18,000 to 1 lakh||INR 30,000 to 1.5 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 25,000 to INR 35,000||INR 20,000 to INR 24,000.|
Source: College Websites
BA English Literature Top Colleges
The table below lists the top colleges of BA English Literature along with their fees and placement packages.
|NIRF Rank||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|1||St. Stephen’s College||New Delhi||INR 34,890||INR 3,60,000|
|2||Lady Shri Ram College for Women||New Delhi||INR 16,390||INR 7,50,000|
|3||Hindu College||New Delhi||INR 16,540||INR 4,00,000|
|4||Miranda House||New Delhi||INR 14,160||INR 3,50,000|
|5||Kirori Mal College||New Delhi||INR 12,345||INR 4,50,000|
|10||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 3,420||INR 5,00,000|
|12||Calcutta University||Kolkata||INR 1,184||INR 8,04,000|
|15||Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham||Coimbatore||INR 30,166||INR 2,19,000|
|17||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 26,090||INR 4,85,000|
|18||Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||INR 61,770||INR 3,50,000|
|19||Jamia Millia Islamia||Delhi||INR 7,200||INR 4,00,000|
BA English Literature College Comparison
The table below gives a comparison of the top BA English Literature colleges of India.
|Parameter||Banaras Hindu University||University of Delhi|
|Overview||BHU is a public university from Varanasi that was established in 1916. It is a highly ranked university for a number of courses. Admission is competitive.||The University of Delhi, also called Delhi University is a public university established in 1922. It is one of the most popular universities in the country for BA English Literature courses.|
|Rank||NIRF: 10||NIRF: 13 Outlook India: 8|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 3,420||INR 3,630|
|Average Placement Package||INR 5,00,000||INR 4,30,000|
|Top recruiting companies||TCS, Genpact, NIIT etc.||E&Y, Cognizant, KPMG, Deloitte, NIIT etc.|
Source: College websites
BA English Literature Syllabus
The table below gives the semester wise breakup of the BA English Literature Syllabus.
|Indian Classical Literature||European Classical Literature|
|Indian Writing in English||British Poetry and Drama: 14th to 17th Centuries|
|American Literature||Popular Literature|
|British Poetry and Drama: 17th and 17th centuries||-|
|British Literature: 18th century||British Romantic Literature|
|British Literature: 19th century||-|
|Women’s Writing||British Literature: The Early 20th century|
|Modern European Drama||Postcolonial Literature|
BA English Literature: Subject Books
|Name of the Book||Author|
|An Advanced History of India||Majumdar, Ray|
|Ancient India||Tripathi, R.S|
|The Wonder That was India, London 1954||Basham, A|
|Political History of Ancient India, Calcutta, 1963||Ray Chaudhary, H.C|
|The age of the Nandas and Mauryans||Sastri. K.A.N|
|Environmental Law||Dr. I.A. Khan|
BA English Literature Distance Education
BA English Literature Distance Education is offered by few colleges. The duration of the course is 3 years with the basic eligibility being successful completion of class 12.
The table below provides the course fee details of Distance education colleges.
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||INR 10,200|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||INR 10,835|
Source: College Websites
BA English Literature Job Prospects and Career Options
Career options after completing a BA English Literature degree is either looking for a job or going for higher education.
- BA English Literature graduates find jobs in media houses, publishing houses, MNCs and other industries in both private and public sectors.
- Some job profiles that graduates get hired as are content writer, copywriter, teachers, journalist, editors, proofreaders, human resources management etc.
Job profiles are not limited for BA English Literature graduates. One can gain employment in various sectors and industries. Some of the most prominent job profiles are as follows.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Teacher||Teachers in schools and colleges are responsible for teaching the future generation of children; prefer to hire BA English Literature graduates.||INR 3,00,000|
|Content Writer||Content writers are responsible for doing write-ups on blogs, company websites, advertisements, product descriptions and more.||INR 2,80,000|
|Journalist||Journalists are hired to chase the latest news and produce quality articles for newspapers.||INR 3,40,000|
|Script Writer||Scriptwriters, hired by media companies to write up scripts for television shows, movies and other forms of production.||INR 4,79,000|
|Proofreader||Proofreaders are hired at publishing houses to read and correct grammar and language of write-ups produced by other writers.||INR 2,48,000|
|Editor||Editors are hired to revise and review all material to be published in magazines, newspapers and also websites.||INR 3,90,000|
BA English Literature Scope
- A BA English Literature degree helps students gain essential communication skills and a large bank of knowledge of English literature. As such graduates from this course fit perfectly in any industry.
- Jobs are available in newspaper agencies, publishing houses, schools and colleges, MNCs etc. Higher education degrees like MBA, MA, Mass Communication etc. are also preferred by students.
Career Options after BA English Literature
- MA: The most obvious choice after a BA in English Literature is to do a Master of Arts or MA in English Literature. Building up the existing knowledge and choosing a specialization at the master level is the best formula to land high paying jobs in a career of choice.
- MBA: If one wishes to work in management, preparing for an MBA course is the way to go. MBA programs can be done in multiple majors and minors, as per one’s wishes. Pay grade will be high and job opportunities are abundant in this sector.
- Mass Communication: The scope of a BA English Literature student in Mass Communication is quite wide. Mass Comm will prepare students in the technical and creative aspects of working in radios, televisions, newspapers, movies etc. A BA English Literature student is bound to get a leg up in this field.
- Civil Services: Civil services examinations are a good choice for graduates of this course. One big aspect of the civil services exams is being able to frame and write the answers properly. The program will come in handy in this regard.
- Law: Many also opt to study for law courses like LLB. One major advantage of studying a law course after a BA English Literature course is that the standard five-year course can be skipped. Students become eligible for the three-year course instead.
Ques. What is the full form of BA?
Ans. The full form of BA is Bachelor of Arts.
Ques. What is taught in BA English Literature?
Ans. Some subjects taught in the program include Indian Classical Literature, American Literature, British Literature and Poetry, dramas etc.
Ques. What can be done after BA English Literature?
Ans. Students can look for job opportunities after graduation or opt for higher studies like MBA, MA, Law etc.
Ques. What are the top colleges to do a BA in English Literature?
Ans. The top universities to look into to do a BA English Literature are Delhi University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Banaras Hindu University among others.
Ques. What is the average tuition range to pursue a BA in English Literature?
Ans. The average tuition fee range for this program is between INR 18,000 to INR 1,00,000.
Ques. What are some job profiles a BA English Literature graduate can get hired as?
Ans. Graduates can get hired as translators, content writers, editors, journalists, scriptwriters, lecturers and teachers etc.
Ques. Can a student do an MBA after completing the course?
Ans. Yes. BA English Literature graduates can pursue any courses after completing their program.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria to get admitted in the BA English Literature course?
Ans. The eligibility criteria to be admitted in the program is that the student must have completed their 12th level examinations with at least 50% marks scored. The student must also have had English as a core subject.
Ques. What is the duration of a BA English Literature program?
Ans. A typical BA English Literature program is taught over 3 years which is divided into 6 semesters.
Ques. Is Delhi University the best college for a BA English Literature?
Ans. The University of Delhi is one of the top-ranked universities in the country. Its affiliated colleges are highly ranked for their BA degrees.