BA Geography is a 3-years undergraduate course which spans across 6 semesters. It deals with earth and its different phenomena, features and inhabitants. It also involves the study of climate, soil, vegetation and plantations on earth..
Few of the top colleges and universities which offer a BA Geography course are Delhi University, Loyola College, Chennai, St. Xavier's College, Mumbai, NIMS University, Presidency College, Chennai, etc.
Important subjects that are taught in this course are Maps Projection, Economic Geography, Human Geography, Physical Geography.
To stand eligible for the BA Geography course, the candidates need to secure at least 50% marks in their 10+2 or equivalent examintion in any stream. In the event the college conducts entrance exam, the candidates must also qualify in the entrance test too to secure their admission.
The average BA Geography course fee ranges between INR 3,000 to INR 1.5 Lakhs. The course is offered by both government and private institutes. After completing the course, students may also go on to pursue higher education. The popular further studies option after BA geography included MA Geography, MA Geology, MA Disaster Management, etc.
After completing the 3-years bachelor’s course, students can opt for jobs in both private and government sectors across various departments such as Cartographer, Demographer, Land Analyst, etc. The average starting salary can be anywhere between INR 1.2 LPA to INR 10 LPA per annum depending on the students course performance, other on-field experience.
BA Geography: Course Highlights
Students who are interested in learning about earth, its components, along with weather, climate, etc., BA Geography is the perfect course for them. The course helps students to understand the various phenomena of earth through theory and practicals. Here are a few highlights of the course.
|Full-form||Bachelor of Arts in Geography|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 in Any Stream|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission or on the basis of marks acquired in the Entrance Test.|
|Course Fee||INR 3,000 to INR 1,50,000.|
|Average Salary||INR 1.2 LPA - INR 10 LPA|
|Job Positions||Cartographer, Demographer, Land-Use Analyst, Coastal Zone Manager, Landscape Manager, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Government offices, private sectors, NGOs, educational institutes, etc.|
Geography is one such course which explores the various geographical aspects of the planet. It includes different other areas as well like climate, vegetation and soil. The geography of the entire world is involved in this course.
- During the duration of the course, the students go for field trips for analysis of field data. This brings about an awareness of the surroundings and the environment. The students also master cartography skills. They prepare field reports based on their studies.
- The course will help students to master skills to analyze the different important concepts of Geography. The students will also be allowed to carry out independent research activities on topics of their choice.
- The BA Geography course aims to produce geographers who are extremely skilled at both social and economic Geography. The communication skills developed by the students will help the students to acquire jobs in different fields.
- Few of the important subjects which are covered in this course are Ecology, Spatial Analysis, Fundamentals of Remote Sensing, Comp Mapping, Political Geography, Cultural Geography, Demography and Population, Agricultural Geography and others.
Why Study BA Geography?
BA Geography is one such course which will definitely help you to build a prosperous career. Given below are a few major reasons regarding why you should choose the BA Geography course:
The BA Geography course will give you an in-depth understanding of the different geographical features of the planet. You will also learn to develop analytical skills and use it to generate critical reports.
- The students can get jobs in agricultural or economic organizations. They may also take up archaeology as a career option. The candidates may also work as demographers in various government and private sectors.
- The BA Geography students can also appear in Civil Service examinations. Some of the other options available for them are tourism, social services, transportation planning, etc.
- The students may opt for a career in teaching. They also have the choice to pursue higher studies or go for the research field. Geography is a very progressive subject for carrying out research.
- After completing the course, students can earn a salary of minimum INR 1.2 LPA which may go up to INR 10 LPA. The salary-scale will largely depend on the knowledge and practical skills of the applicant.
What is the BA Geography Admission Process?
Every university follows its own process of admission. In most cases, admission is done on the basis of the marks acquired by the candidates in their higher secondary examination. However, there are some colleges and universities that conduct an entrance examination and an interview.
BA Geography: Direct Admission
Few colleges offer direct admission to the students based on their 10+2 merit. Here is how you can grab direct admission in colleges.
Step 1: Fill the application form
You will be able to fill up the application form online. You may also collect the form from the university itself and physically fill it up. The form needs to be submitted before the deadline.
Step 2: Admission to the college
The candidates will be selected based on their 10+2 results. The marks requirement may vary from college to college. It depends on the overall percentage of the students applying for the course. The candidate further needs to submit the admission fees to secure their admission.
BA Geography Admission Process: Entrance Test
Apart from direct admission, few colleges conduct entrance exams to grant admission to the students. The motive of the entrance tests is to double check the eligibility of the applicant. The entrance tests are usually followed by a personal interview (PI) round. Here is what you need to do for entrance exams:
Step 1: Fill The Application Form
The application forms are available online on the official website of the university. Properly go through the guidelines before filling up the application form.
Step 2: Appear for The Entrance Test
If your college organizes an entrance test, then you will have to sit for it. The entrance test is held shortly after the last date of submission of the application form.
Step 3: Appear for The Interview (If Applicable)
The interview process is optional. It is only conducted by a few colleges and Universities. The students who clear the cut-off for the admission test are notified about the interview.
Step 4: Pay the Admission Fees
Once you have cleared the entrance test and the interview, you will be shortlisted by the college. You can secure your admission in that college or university by paying the admission fees.
What is the BA Geography Eligibility Criteria?
Each and every college has its own eligibility criteria that need to be fulfilled by the students. The most basic BA Geography eligibility criteria that every colleges asks for is:
- The candidate must complete his 10+2 examination from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% marks.
- The candidates should have studied all the major subjects of Humanities in his/her 10+2 or equivalent examination.
- The student must also qualify in the entrance test and interview in order to be eligible for the admission process.
Which are the Various BA Geography Entrance Exams in India?
There are quite a few colleges and universities in India which conduct an entrance test for admitting the students to the BA course offered by the University.
The exam dates are declared by the University after the application forms have been submitted. This year, however, the dates may have been altered due to COVID-19 crisis.
Here we have mentioned some of the popular BA Geography entrance tests:
- JNUEE : Jawaharlal Nehru University admits all its undergraduate students on the basis of the marks scored by them in the entrance test. The test is mainly held in July and applications are released in March.
- BHU UET : BHU UET is a yearly entrance test conducted and managed by Banaras Hindu University. It is a University-level examination that is conducted in online mode.
- NIMCET : NIMS University conducts an entrance examination for its admission process. The forms for the same can be filled up in online mode.
- CUCET : CUCET is the national level entrance test for the students who wish to seek admission to the Central Universities of the country.
- CUET : CUET entrance examination is conducted by Christ University, Bangalore every year. The entrance test is mostly held in online mode.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date|
|CUET||February 2023– 4th week of March 2023||
May 21 – 31, 2023
Reserved date: June 1 –7, 2023
|NPAT||December 01, 2022 – May 21, 2023||January 04, 2023 – May 31, 2023|
|TISS BAT||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|IPU CET||March 2023– April 2023||April 2023|
|JNUEE||To be Announced||To be Announced|
How to Prepare for the BA Geography Entrance Test?
If you wish to get admitted to a college of your dreams, then you must be really well-prepared for the admission test.
Here are a few important tips for you that will help you to crack the entrance test:
- It is very important for you to become well accustomed to the examination pattern. Only then can you expect a very good score in the entrance test. Visit the official website of the university and carefully check all the details of the examination process.
- You should be very careful while going through the syllabus. All the important topics will have to be covered carefully. Do not miss anything. You can also contact the existing students of the colleges to know which topics are important for the entrance test.
- You must also have a very good command on all the topics that you have studied in your 10+2 examination as most of the questions are frequently asked from your 10+2 syllabus.
- You should also read the newspaper regularly to remain well aware of the current happenings of the world.
- Prepare each and every topic. This is only possible if you are consistent in your preparation. In that way, you will have sufficient time for revision. Also, you must start your preparations at least 3 months before the actual date of the examination.
- Practice the questions from different types of sample papers. You can also go through the previous years’ question papers. Here are some links to the previous year’s question papers and the entrance exam sample papers of the various exams such as JNUEE, BHU UET, NIMCET, CUCET, etc.
- You must be really strategic. This will help you to finish up with your syllabus well before the deadline. You will also have sufficient time left for revision. Until and unless you revise the chapters properly you will never be able to acquire a very good score in the examination.
Make it a point to stay calm and relaxed the day before the examination. Do not stress out and try to remain positive. This will definitely help you out to fetch a good score in the examination.
Best BA Geography Books to Follow
Books will help you to achieve a really good score in your BA Geography examination. Given below are a few of the most important books for the BA Geography course:
|Models and Theories in Geography||Majid Hussain or K. Siddhartha|
|Physical Geography||Savinder Singh|
|Human Geography||Majid Hussain|
|Indian Geography||D.R Khullar|
How to get admission in a good college?
BA Geography is a prosperous course and hence, there are a vast number of good colleges providing the course. Here are a few important tips that will help you to become a part of a good college:
- You should have a pretty decent score in your 10+2 examination. This will help you to fulfil the eligibility requirement. For most colleges, the minimum requirement is around 50%.
- Secure a good score in the entrance test. Only if you are prepared for the entrance test, you will be able to clear the cut-off for the examination and get admitted to the college.
- In case there is an interview, be prepared for it. Search the internet to know the type of questions that are generally asked in the interview. You can also ask for advice from the existing students of the college.
- The application form should be filled up carefully. There should be no mistake. Also, submit the application form within the deadline.
- Always keep a watch for updates regarding the admission process. Check the official website of the university for the latest news and updates.
- Get to know what the students have got to say about that specific college. Also, have a look at the type of on-campus placements offered by the college. This will help you to know the college properly before you get admitted to it.
What is the BA Geography Syllabus?
The syllabus for the BA Geography course is divided into 6 semesters. Here, we have mentioned the topics which are covered in each semester:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Maps and scales||Representation of physical features|
|Geography of India||Physical geography I|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Representation of climate data||Maps projection|
|Physical geography II||Human geography|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Distribution maps and diagrams||Introduction to remote sensing and field survey report|
|Economic geography||Introduction to remote sensing, hours GIS and quantitative methods|
Which are the Best BA Geography Colleges?
BA Geography is a very popular course which is taught in quite a large number of colleges in India. Here, we have mentioned some of the most reputed BA Geography Colleges of India:
|College Name||Average Total Fee|
|Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi||INR 7,200|
|Delhi University||INR 6,600|
|Aligarh Muslim University||INR 84,845|
|Panjab University||INR 10,505|
|Visva Bharati University,Santiniketan||INR 6,650|
|Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur||INR 74,500|
|Calicut University||INR 48, 000|
|Banasthali Vidyapith, Jaipur||INR 74,500|
|Lovely Professional University||INR 48,000|
|Elphinstone College, Mumbai||INR 12,000|
|National Post Graduate College, Lucknow||INR 30,000|
Given below is a table where we have compared the top three BA Geography colleges in India based on several factors such as infrastructure, faculty, and placement opportunities. Here we have compared Fergusson College, Banasthali Vidyapith, and Shri HK Arts College
|College/ University Name||Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi||Aligarh Muslim University||Visva Bharati University, Santiniketan|
|Overview||Jamia Millia Islamia was established in 1920 at Aligarh and was later shifted to Delhi in 1925. The University is one of the most preferred universities of Delhi that provides BAchelor, Master, and PhD courses on a wide range of subjects.||Aligarh Muslim University was established in 1875 by Sir Syed Ahmad Khan. The university offers more than 300 courses in both modern and traditional educational branches.||Visva Bharati is one of the most prestigious universities of India founded by the noble laueterate, Rabindranath Tagore. The university offers courses in a variety of fields with some of the best faculties from around the world.|
|Average Total Fees||INR 7,200||INR 84,845||INR 6,650|
|Eligibility||Passed higher secondary from a recognized board||Passed higher secondary from a recognized board||Passed higher secondary from a recognized board|
|Admission Process||Direct admission or and interview||Direct admission or and interview||Direct admission or t and interview|
|Average CTC||INR 3.2 LPA||INR 2.9 LPA||INR 3 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Company||Amazon, , IBM, Infosys, Wipro||Genpact, IBM, Oracle, Wipro, Welspun, Philips.||TCS, IBM, Infosys, Wipro.|
BA Geography vs BA Sociology Course Comparison
The BA Geography course offers a course curriculum which is quite similar to the BA Sociology course Here we have compared the BA Geography and the BA Sociology course.
|Parameters||BA Geography||BA Sociology|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Arts in Geography||Bachelor of Arts in Sociology|
|Course Overview||BA Geography is all about studying the different physical and geographical features of the planet. It also involves other aspects like climate, soil and vegetation.||BA Sociology course mainly focuses on the different aspects of human society. It also deals with the relationship that human beings share with each other and their society.|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 in Arts Stream.||Passed 10+2 in Arts Stream|
|Admission Process||Direct admission or on the basis of Entrance test||Direct admission or on the basis of Entrance test|
|Average Fee||INR 3,000 to INR 1,50,000||INR 3,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 1.2 LPA to INR 10 LPA||INR 3 LPA to INR 8 LPA|
|Colleges||Chandigarh University, Lovely Professional University, Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Shri HK Arts College, Ahmedabad||Mount Carmel College, Bangalore, Loyola College, Chennai, St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai, Christ University, Bangalore.|
|Recruitment sectors||Agriculture Sector, Social Sector, Archaeological Sector, Colleges and Universities||Human Resource Management, Corporate Research, Public Relations, Communications Industry, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Demographer, Land-use Analyst, Landscape Architect, Coastal Zone Manager.||Lecturer, Counselor, Community Service Officer, Welfare Rights Officer, Social Researcher, etc.|
What are the BA Geography Job Prospects and Career Options?
Over the past few years, the career opportunities for the BA Geography students have increased sharply. The Geographers may work in various sectors which include the archaeological sector, tourism sector, agricultural sector and many more. The students are also allowed to conduct research activities in various fields involving Geography.
- The candidates can work as demographers in both governments as well as private sectors. They may also take up the job of a cartographer in different offices. Another very popular path for the BA Geography students is to pursue an MA in Geography. The students may also teach at various schools and colleges.
- Some of the most common job profiles for the BA Geography candidates are Cartographers, Zoning Investigators, Land use officers, Coastal Zone Managers, Landscape Architects and many more.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Cartographer||The cartographers produce detailed maps of different geographical areas. They also present information in the form of diagrams.||INR 2.6 LPA|
|Coastal Zone Manager||The coastal zone managers protect the coastal areas of the world and make sure that the coastal resources are properly utilized.||INR 9 L.P.A.|
|Land Use Analyst||The land use analysts mainly focus on the proper usage of land and evaluate the population of an area.||INR 5.5 L.P.A.|
|Landscape Architect||The landscape architects are responsible for meeting with the engineers and the clients and prepare site plans for a project.||INR 7 L.P.A.|
|Development Surveyor||A development surveyor looks after the development of properties and evaluates different environmental factors.||INR 6.5 L.P.A.|
|Zoning Investigator||The zoning investigators act on zoning complaints that require proper investigations. They also maintain logs on all the complaints.||INR 6.5 L.P.A.|
What is the BA Geography Future Scope?
The BA Geography students have a number of future prospects. Let us explore the career options one by one:
- The BA Geography students may work in different sectors like agriculture sectors and tourism sectors. The candidates may also teach at educational institutions.
- The students may look for jobs in government offices. They may take up the job of a demographer or a cartographer. They can also sit for civil service examinations.
- There are a lot of private firms and NGOs which offer jobs to the BA Geography students. They may earn a handsome salary by working in such companies.
- The BA Geography students may first pursue an MA and then a PhD in Geography. After that, they may conduct research activities in diverse fields related to Geography.
Here are some of the most interesting further studies options after BA Geography.
|Course||Overview||Average Course Fee||Average Salary|
|MA Geography||A PG course on Geography that consists of the study of the earth’s surface, composition, and essence.||INR 2000-1,00,000||INR 7.2 LPA|
|MA Geology||Study of earth’s structure along with its material, organisms, structure, etc.||INR 2000-50000||INR 3.5 LPA|
|MA Disaster Management||MA in Disaster Management focuses on the numerous natural disasters that controls the social welfare programs in both central and state level.||INR 5000- 1,00,000||INR 6.8 LPA|
BA Geography FAQs
Ques. Is BA Geography tough?
Ans. Depends on you. If you wish to perform well in your BA Geography course, you must get admitted to a good college and also follow the right books.
Ques. Can I take up BA Geography after studying Science in 10+2?
Ans. Yes, you are eligible to pursue both BA Geography and BSc Geography.
Ques. Is BA Geography available in distance?
Ans. Few popular MA Geography colleges are Jawaharlal Nehru University, St. Xavier's College, Kolkata, Loreto College, Kolkata.
Ques. How many years will it take to complete my BA Geography course?
Ans. It takes 3 years to complete your BA Geography course.
Ques. Do I have to sit for an entrance test for admission to the BA Geography course?
Ans. Yes, you may have to sit for an entrance test for admission to some of the BA Geography colleges.