BA in Marathi is a 3-years undergraduate language centric course that covers Philosophy, Literature, Linguistics, Fiction, Communication, etc., of the Marathi Language.
The basic eligibility criteria for BA in Marathi is 10+2 qualification in any stream from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.
BA in Marathi admission is largely based on merit while some universities might also undertake BA entrance exams such as University Entrance Test (UET), Common Entrance Test (CET) etc.
Check: BA Admission
Fergusson College, KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce, MES Abasaheb Garware College, Wilson Colleges are some of the institutes in India offering BA in Marathi.
BA in Marathi syllabus includes Marathi, Economics, Geography, History, English amongst a few others. The average fee for BA in Marathi course ranges from INR 2,000 to INR 8,000.
Read More: BA in Marathi Colleges in India
Students holding a BA in Marathi degree are often appointed as Sociologists, Managers, Educationalists, Marathi Translator and Interpreter amongst other professions. The most common employment areas Colleges, Universities, R&D Departments, Customer Care Centres etc.
The average salary earned by the graduates of BA in Marathi ranges between INR 2 LPA - INR 5 LPA. Top recruiters for the graduates are government agencies such as Akhil Bhartiya Kirtan Sanstha, Maharashtra Sahitya Parishad, Media Houses, Banks, Business Houses, Consultancies, Educational Institutes, Fire Department.
BA in Marathi Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Arts in Marathi|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized university|
|Admission Criteria||Merit based|
|Average Fees||INR 2,000 - INR 8,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 LPA - INR 5 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Banks, Business Houses, Consultancies, Educational Institutes, Fire Department, Economic Development, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Multimedia Reporter, Marathi Translator and Interpreter, Marathi Teacher, Marathi Linguist, Executive Assistant, etc.|
What is the BA in Marathi Admission Process?
The admissions to BA in Marathi program are generally based on the performance of candidates at the 10+2 level. However, some universities/ colleges also conduct their own entrance test for the admission process.
- Candidates can avail the application form facility either online or offline.
- The institutes prepare merit lists on the basis of candidate’s marks in last qualifying examinations.
- Candidates also need to appear for a written test entertained by some institutes.
- The institute will publish merit lists and shortlisted candidates will be required to appear for counselling or document verification round.
BA in Marathi: Eligibility Criteria
Listed below is the eligibility criteria for the interested candidates who want to pursue BA in Marathi:
- Candidates must have 10+2 completed in any stream from a recognized institute.
- Candidates must also have secured a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at 10+2 level.
BA in Marathi: Tips to get the Best College
Below mentioned are some of the useful tips for candidates to get admissions to their desired college:
- Research on some top colleges as per their location and make a list of your preferred colleges.
- While researching, look for some important parameters such as ranking, infrastructure, facilities, faculty, location etc.
- Also make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria and the cut off set by the target university or college.
- Check if the institute conducts any written test so that you can prepare yourself accordingly.
- Also stay updated with the latest events, admission dates, processes etc so that you don’t miss any important event.
Check: BA vs BA hons
BA in Marathi: What is it About?
- BA in Marathi is an undergraduate programme focusing on the aspects and history of Marathi language.
- It is a language oriented course in the field of Arts.
- The course doesn't offer any specialisations and allows the students to study a broad range of subjects in order to maintain a flexible yet wholesome educational experience.
- Martathi is one of the most spoken languages in the world and is bestowed with rich literature, philosophy and history. Hence it is a promising field of study in language as it offers wide career opportunities.
- The course predominantly focuses on the pedagogy of linguistics, fiction, literature, history and development of Marathi. The subjects taught under the program include literary criticism and history, poetry, drama, fiction and philosophy about Marathi linguistics.
- The programme also includes pedagogy of some other subjects such as geography, general history, political science and economics in order to make the program more inclusive. The students opting for the program are able to learn a host of other subjects as well while learning the ins and outs of Marathi. This makes the field of opting for other higher educational courses open and not just limited to the language.
BA in Marathi: Course Advantages
- Students opting for BA in Marathi would have a detailed knowledge of the language at hand and would allow them to develop their research, analytical and communication skills.
- As there is no limitation in case of specialisation choices for Art courses at postgraduate level, the students have a wide array of career choices to choose from adding to the advantage of opting for the course.
- The students get an opportunity to develop their interpersonal skills and critical thinking which are essential for career development.
- The benefit of opting for a language centric course is that the field for further education or for a job is not restricted.
- The students get an opportunity to work for high end government jobs and other wide array of opportunities such as teachers, multimedia personalities, journalists etc.
- The students graduating in this course will be equipped with the detailed knowledge of the language and hence will provide them with an edge in career fields related to regional languages.
BA in Marathi Course Comparison
Below tabulated is the difference between BA in Marathi and BA in Marathi literature to help students choose the best course for them:
|Parameters||BA in Marathi||BA in Marathi Literature|
|Overview||BA in Marathi as a course focuses on holistic learning of the Marathi linguistics while focusing on the aspects such as history, communication, linguistics etc.||BA in Marathi Literature solely focuses on the education of Marathi literature such as fiction, poetry, drama etc and its literary impact and interpretation.|
|Duration||3 Years||3 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board||10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board|
|Admission Criteria||Merit based||Merit based|
|Average Fees||INR 2,000 - INR 8,000||INR 30,000 - INR 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 LPA - INR 5 LPA||INR 3 LPA - INR 7 LPA|
|Employment Areas||Banks, Business Houses, Consultancies, Educational Institutes, Fire Department, Economic Development, Export Companies, Foreign Affairs etc||Translation Bureaus, Publishing Houses, International Organizations, Hotel Industry, Travel and Tourism sector etc|
|Job Profiles||Multimedia Reporter, Marathi Translator and Interpreter, Marathi Teacher, Marathi Linguist, Executive Assistant, Tutor, Regional Sales Manager, Management Consultant, Customer Care Executive etc||Market Analyst, Faculty Chief, Humanist, Connection Executive, Political Researcher, Social Dissident, Educationist, Columnist etc|
BA in Marathi: Top Colleges
|Name of College/University||Average Fees|
|Fergusson College, Pune||INR 9,245|
|KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce, Mumbai||INR 8,795|
|Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College, Mumbai||INR 4,825|
|LS Raheja College of Arts and Commerce, Mumbai||INR 5,682|
|St. Xavier’s College, Bardez||INR 5,980|
|Abeda Inamdar Senior College, Pune||INR 9,240|
|Elphinstone College, Mumbai||INR 3,945|
|Kelkar Education Trust’s VG Vaze College of Arts Science and Commerce, Mumbai||INR 6,166|
BA in Marathi College Comparison
|Parameters||Fergusson College, Pune||KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce, Mumbai|
|Overview||Fergusson college was established in 1885 and is associated with Savitribai Phule Pune University. It is a private institute and is NAAC accredited. The college offers a plethora of UG, PG and Post-Doctoral courses.||KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce was established in 1964 as the premiere education institute. The college is affiliated to the Mumbai university and offers various UG and PG degree courses and PhD program.|
|Location||Pune, Maharashtra||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|The WEEK Ranking 2020 for Arts||11||31|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent from a recognized institute||10+2 or equivalent from a recognized institute|
|Admission Criteria||Merit based||Merit based|
|Average Fees||INR 9,245||INR 8,795|
BA in Marathi: Syllabus
|Year 1||Year 2|
|Compulsory English/ Hindi||Marathi|
BA in Marathi: Job Prospects
BA in Marathi graduates can find gainful career opportunities in the fields of literature, journalism, print media, academics, Marathi based BPO’S, cinematography etc. The students pursuing the degree can be hired for the job profiles such as sociologist, manager, journalist, educationist etc. There are plenty of government, semi-government organisations working towards the cause of continual development, preservation and enrichment of Marathi language. Some of the recommended job profiles along with their description and average salary are tabulated below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Journalist||A journalist seeks out news and presents them in an engaging manner. They usually work for a publication or a news channel.||INR 2 LPA - INR 5 LPA|
|Educationalist||Educationalists help in furthering the education by teaching the subject of specialisation.||INR 4 LPA|
|Personnel Manager||Personnel Managers provide orientation to newly hired employees on the rules and regulations. They also compile compensation and benefits of the employee.||INR 4 LPA - INR 7 LPA|
|Sociologists||Sociologists study human behaviour, interaction, and organization and help administrators, educators, lawmakers to solve social problems and formulate public policy.||INR 3 LPA - INR 6 LPA|
BA in Marathi: Future Scope
The future prospects of BA in Marathi graduates are mentioned below:
- The aspirants can go ahead and pursue higher education degrees and courses such as MA Marathi or any other field of specialisation.
- The students can go ahead and take up jobs in the field of journalism and multimedia personalities, educationalists etc.
- The candidates can also work for various financial firms and lobbying firms and work as PR representatives for regional artists and films.
BA in Marathi: FAQs
Ques. Does B.A(Marathi) have any scope?
Ans. Being a language centric course, it has a lot of scope in the country both from the point of view of career and further studies. The students are usually hired as managers, journalists, etc.
Ques. What is the average fee taken for the course?
Ans. The average fee taken for the course ranges from INR 2000 to INR 8000. There are certain colleges which charge a higher tuition fee than INR 8000.
Ques. Are there any entrance exams held for admission into BA in Marathi?
Ans. Usually the students are admitted on the basis of their performance at 10+2 level. While there might be a handful of colleges opting for entrance test schemes. In such cases, all the information regarding the admission procedure and the entrance test will be made available at the official university/college website.
Ques. Is it necessary to have proficiency in Marathi in order to opt for BA in Marathi?
Ans. No, it is not necessary to have proficiency in Marathi in order to opt for BA in Marathi. But it would deem helpful, if the candidate has a basic prior knowledge of the language.
Ques. Is only Marathi taught in BA in Marathi?
Ans. No, the course doesn’t revolve around the study of Marathi only. The students are taught other subjects as well such as economics, political science, history, English, Hindi and a few others in order to maintain an interdisciplinary approach to the course. Overall, students get detailed knowledge about Marathi courses along with other courses.