BA in Mass Communication is a 3-year undergraduate course which has been designed to teach the students about mass communication. It is designed to help students learn about each constituent of mass media in detail, for e.g. newspaper, radio, etc.
BA Mass Communication familiarizes students with the theoretical and methodological foundations of Media Studies as well as introduces students to the practice and study of media communication through Print Media, Broadcast Media, Social Media, etc.
Students who have completed 10+2 in any stream from a recognized board with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate are eligible. Colleges offer admission through both merit as well direct admission. The type of admission applicable depends on the college.
|CollegeDunia Rating||College||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Placement Salary|
|10||Symbiosis Center for Media and Communication||Pune||INR 1,00,000||INR 4 LPA|
|9.0||Altius Institute of Universal Studies||Indore||INR 41,500||INR 2.8 LPA|
|8.8||IAAN School of Mass Communication||New Delhi||INR 90,000||INR 3.5 LPA|
|6.8||Dayanand College||Hisar||INR 19,065||INR 3 LPA|
|6.4||Birla Institute Of Liberal Arts And Management Sciences [BILAMS]||Kolkata||Not Available||INR 3.2 LPA|
A student who has completed a BA in Mass Communication has career opportunities in films & TV, journalism, editing, publishing, public relations, direction, filmmaking, scriptwriting, and production.This document was edited with the online HTML5 composer. Please subscribe for a htmlg.com membership to remove similar messages from the edited documents.
There are quite attractive and high paying jobs for BA in mass communication graduates as journalist, actor, director, editor, screenwriter, producer, VJ depending on the interests and talent of an individual. The highest annual salary of around INR 12 lakhs can be expected, whereas an average annual salary around INR 3-6 lakhs can be expected.
Further study options post completion of this course include M.A in Mass Communication, MAJMC, MA in PR, etc.
What is the BA Mass Communication Admission Process?
The universities grant admission to students either on the basis of entrance test, or through direct admission. The admission process with respect to the course through exams varies from college to college.
- Most of the colleges have an online application system when once the link is opened you can apply through the prescribed link.
- In the cases of merit based admission, once the application is processed, the result is usually based on the marks of the qualifying exams.
- Narrow down the colleges that you want to apply to
- Go to the website of the college that you are interested in.
- Check if they have their own exam and if you are eligible for the same.
- Create an id or fill in the admission form as prescribed.
- Fill the details, pay the prescribed fees, and also submit the required documents if needed.
- The admit card will be provided as soon as the application is processed. Please keep a track of the dates of the exams.
- In the event of entrance exams, it is a mix of the aggregate marks scored in the qualifying exams along with the marks scored in the entrance exams. This is calculated on the completion of the entrance exam.
- Finally, keep checking the college website for recent updates and notifications with regards to the same.
What are the Various BA Mass Communication Entrance Exams?
Most of the colleges have their own round of entrance exams along with a round of personal interview usually. The pattern is usually Grammar, Writing Skills, Knowledge of Current Affairs and Critical Writing ability but the scheme of the exam can/will vary from college to college.
- CUET: Christ University Entrance Test is conducted in the months of February, March, April and May for admission. It is the standard Christ University admission procedure, it is followed with a round of personal interview or micro presentation round.
- SET: Symbiosis Entrance Test is conducted for admission to various UG programmes across all the Symbiosis institutions. The exam is a written test which is usually conducted in the month of May
- TANCET: It is a common entrance exam conducted for admission to colleges all over Tamil Nadu which is affiliated to University of Madras.
IPU CET: It is a common entrance exam conducted for admission for UG courses in Guru Gobind Indraprastha University
|Exam||Date of Application||Date of Entrance Exam||Exam Mode|
|CUET||From January- April||Rolling dates||offline|
|SET||From January 24, 2019 to April 15, 2019||May 04, 2019||offline|
|TANCET||From 7 January –4 Feb 2020||February 29,2020||offline|
|IPU CET||From March 01, 2020 to March 30, 2020||Date Changed due to Covid||online|
How to Prepare for the Entrance Exams?
The syllabus of the exams consists of verbal reasoning, logical reasoning, mathematics, etc. To ace the entrance exams, students are advised to start preparing a month earlier by going through the practice paper of the various entrance exams such as SET, TANCET, etc.
Here are a few things that you need to know about the entrance exams:
- The exams are usually held offline
- Most of the exams would have around 150- 200 questions of MCQ type where the candidate would have to attempt as much as possible.
- Few of the entrance exams might have negative marking like TANCET, so one should prepare accordingly
- Study the syllabus provided thoroughly as well as the exam pattern.
- Make notes while studying. These can help up with last minute quick revisions.
- Focus on your weak subjects and allocate more time to them.
- Do online quizzes that would improve on your logical reasoning, etc.
- Be up-to-date with current affairs especially in the field of media.
- If previous years' question papers are available, then it is good to solve them as it will build up your confidence. While solving the previous papers, keep in mind that there are negative marks so attempt accordingly.
- Time yourself when you attempt the mock tests so you can find areas where you spend more time on and improve on the same.
How to Get Admission in BA Mass Communication College? (h3)
List down and target a few colleges, go through the college’s admission procedure and start preparing accordingly.
The tips to follow to get admission in any BA Mass Communication colleges are:
- Study at least 3 hours every day and try to complete the commerce/arts syllabus given.
- Keep a track of all the latest updates of the colleges that offer bachelors of Arts (mass communication) especially the colleges of your choice. In case of doubt, call the management and get updated information.
- Keep solving past question papers and model papers like CUET, SET, CET, TANCET, etc.
- Keep attempting quizzes of logical reasoning and GK and read the paper daily
- Strategize on how you will attempt the paper based on your strong and weak points.
BA Mass Communication Highlights
This course provides the industry with skilled and trained media professionals who are adept in each and every field of communication. The method of teaching is a blended way where the students are exposed to both theoretical and practical aspects of mass communication and communication management.
|Full Form||Bachelors of Arts in Mass Communication|
|Eligibility||10+2 In Any Stream From A Recognised Board With A Minimum Of 50% Aggregate.|
|Admission process||Entrance Based and Merit based|
|Course fees||INR 1 Lakh-INR 2 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 Lakhs- INR 6 lakhs Per Annum|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Films, TV, Publishing Houses, Public Relations, Journalism|
|Top Recruiting Companies||New Indian Express, Scroll.in, Hindustan Times, Amazon India, Wipro, Penguin India|
|Job position||Fashion Photographer, Film Director, TV Correspondent, Sound Engineer, Journalist|
Why BA Mass Communication?
BA Mass Communication opens up a range of opportunities to the students to step into the world of Media and Entertainment. The course trains students about them through practical and theoretical training. Some of the primary benefits of pursuing BA Mass Communication are:
- The candidates will not only have academic excellence in the core subjects but will also be able to respond swiftly to professional challenges.
- It offers you job options where you can get job satisfaction as well as be able to express your creativity. It is also the field where you would be a part of the fourth pillar of democracy.
- The salary packages that are offered for graduates are quite attractive where you can earn around 3-6 lakhs at an entry-level and then you can earn around 12 lakhs after a few years of experience.
- In the future, you could also take a Masters in Mass Communication or Journalism.
Which is better, BA Mass Communication or BSc Mass Communication?
Though both BA Mass Communication and BSc Mass Communication belong to the world of media and entertainment, what sets them apart is, in BSc Mass Communication, students will be trained with the various tools used in mass Media. Whereas, in BA Mass Communication, students will be taught practically and theoretically about mass media.
The table below highlights the difference between the two courses.
|Parameters||BA Mass Communication||BSc Mass Communication|
|Full Form||Bachelors’ of Arts in Mass Communication||Bachelors’ of Science in mass Communication|
|Course Overview||It’s an undergraduate degree which will give you an in-depth understanding of the all types of mass media communication||It’s an undergraduate degree which will give you an in-depth understanding in dissemination of information in mass media by various tools|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1 - 12 lakhs||INR 1- 4 lakhs|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2 - 6 LPA||INR 2-7 LPA|
|Colleges||Christ College, Madras Christian College, Symbiosis||AAFT School of Mass Communication, Xavier University, Sree Narayana College|
Which are the Top Colleges for BA Mass Communication?
You can apply for admission in any BA Mass Communication directly after your 10+2 examination result. For some colleges, you may need to appear for the entrance exams to take admission. Here are some of the best BA Mass Communication colleges in India.
|Collegedunia Rating||College Name||Average Annual Course Fees||Average Annual Placement|
|10||Symbiosis Center for Media and Communication (SCMC)||INR 1,00,000||INR 4 LPA|
|9.0||Altius Institute of Universal Studies||INR 41,500||INR 2.8 LPA|
|8.8||IAAN School of Mass Communication||INR 90,000||INR 2.5 LPA|
|8.6||St. Francis College||INR 10,000||INR 3 LPA|
|8.5||Sacred Heart College||INR 6,170||INR 4.2 LPA|
|7.4||Makhanlal Chaturvedi National University of Journalism & Communication||INR 22,000||INR 3 LPA|
|4.4||Institute Of Mass Communication And Media Technology (IMCMT)||INR 10,000||INR 3.2 LPA|
|Unrated||Bishamber Sahai Degree College||Not Available||INR 2.8 LPA|
|Unrated||Birla Institute Of Liberal Arts And Management Sciences [BILAMS]||Not Available||INR 3.5 LPA|
Top BA Mass Communication College Comparison
Each college has their specialty that sets them apart. Be it their infrastructure or their faculty. Here we have handpicked three of the best BA Mass Communication colleges and compared them in the tabulate down below.
|Parameters||IAAN School of Mass Communication||Symbiosis Center for Media and Communication (SCMC)||Birla Institute Of Liberal Arts And Management Sciences [BILAMS]|
|Overview||A premier private university which offers a variety of courses in Mass Communication and Media Science||A private college that offers courses in media.||It is a public autonomous college of Kolkata that was established in 1987|
|Average Fees||INR 90, 000||INR 3,00,000||Not Available|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2.5 LPA||INR 4 LPA||INR 3.5 LPA|
What is the Bachelor in Mass Communication Syllabus?
The below table shows the tentative course plan for this course. The three-year course has been divided into six semesters along with their syllabi.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Political Science||Introduction to Journalism|
|Introduction to Theatre||Introduction to Advertising Introduction to Public Relations|
|History of Indian Cinema||Design Tools-I|
|Basic Sociology||Introduction to Audio-Visual Communication|
|Introduction to Aesthetics and Visual Communication||Mass Communication theories and Practices|
|Foundation of Photography||Business and Managerial Communication|
|Essentials of Marketing Management||Language, Culture & Communication|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|News Reporting and Editing||Management Perspective in Media and Communication Businesses|
|Introduction to Audio-Visual||Introduction to Audiography and Music|
|Research Methodology||Consumer Behaviour and Insights|
|Post Production Introduction to Camera and Lighting||Introduction to Television News|
|Creative Writing||Fundamentals of Feature Writing|
|Fundamentals of Media||Digital Marketing|
|Emotional Intelligence at Workplace||Retail Marketing|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
Which are the Best BA Mass Communication Books to Follow?
Apart from the books that are advised by the college, you should also follow books by mass communication experts from around the world while preparing for the courses and even during the courses for side reference. Here are the best BA Mass Communication books to follow.
|New Media||David Beer and Nicholas Gane.|
|Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story||Jerry Weissman|
|Ditch the Pitch: The Art of Improvised Persuasion||Steve Yastrow|
|Communication Skills For Dummies||Elizabeth Kuhnke|
Which are the Various BA Mass Communication Job Opportunities?
The job prospectus as mentioned earlier, students who have completed BA in mass communication will get jobs in films & TV, journalism, editing, publishing, public relations, direction, filmmaking, scriptwriting, and production. New Indian Express, Scroll.in, Hindustan Times, Amazon India, Wipro, Penguin India, etc.
Here is a tabulate where more of it is explained in detail.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Photojournalist||Conveys news through pictorial representation in newspapers.||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Content Writer||Professional writers who write engaging content to disseminate information.||INR 2.5 LPA|
|Radio Jockey||Communicate and disseminate information through radio||INR 2.8 LPA|
|News Editor||A news editor is in charge of the news selection and allocating work to the reporters, writing headlines and fact check reports.||INR 2.96LPA|
|Advertiser||Running ad campaign along with finding and retaining past clients||INR 3.2 LPA|
|Columnist||Analyze and research the news and write a column based on the data acquired for newspapers, blogs, and magazines.||INR 3.8 LPA|
What are the BA Mass Communication Future Scope Further Studies Options?
After completing the three-years graduation course, students can either opt for a full time job across various industries or opt for further studies. Some of the best further studies after BA Mass Communication are:
|Course||Overview||Average Starting Salary|
|MA Mass Communication||A PG course in mass communication that focuses on the various aspects of mass communication such as cultural issue, media production, media techniques, communication theories, etc.||INR 5.1 LPA|
|MA Culture and Media Studies||The course is designed to help students develop in-depth knowledge on historical developments, understand the consumption of media texts, etc.||INR 4.78 LPA|
|Master of Journalism and Mass Communication||This two-years PG course trains students in the various mass media platforms such as radio, television, newspapers, etc., through theoretical and practical knowledge.||INR 4.22 LPA|
|MA Public Relation||The MA Public Relation course provides students with a vast knowledge in the conventional and social communication tools. The two-years course will help students to learn PR media plans, event marketing, consumer research, etc.||INR 3 LPA|
This document has been composed with the free online HTML edior. Access it here and use it every time for document editing.
BA Mass Communication FAQs
Ques. How is the admission process for this Course?
Ans. The admission process is usually entrance based but there are few colleges that take in admission through merit.
Ques. Which entrance exams should I opt for?
Ans. Most of the colleges have their own exams so it depends on which colleges that you want to study in.
Ques. What are the average annual fees that would be required to complete the degree?
Ans. The average fees would range between 56,000 to 12 lakh.
Ques. Can I become a content writer after doing BA Mass Communication?
Ans. Yes, after BA Mass Communication, you can pursue your career as a Content writer, Journalist, Fashion photographer, RJ, etc.
Ques. Is studying this course a good choice?
Ans. Yes, especially if you are passionate about making your mark in the field of media.
Ques. Does a course in mass communication provide good scope for girls?
Ans. Yes it is. There are equal opportunities available for both genders.
Ques. How easy is this course?
Ans. No course is easy. It will depend on the effort and hard work you put in.
Ques. Is the course expensive?
Ans. Yes, this course is slightly expensive compared to other mass media related courses.