BA Philosophy or Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy is a 3 year undergraduate degree program, with each year comprising two semesters.
The course is offered by various universities and colleges in India. The course deals with every possible aspect of philosophy like Indian philosophy, western philosophy, ethics, etc.
Check Top BA Philosophy colleges.
The basic eligibility criteria for pursuing this course is that the student should have cleared their senior secondary examination. Students should have passed 10+2 examinations from any recognized board with minimum 50% marks.
Admission to the course is done either on the basis of the marks obtained in the 10+2 examination or on the basis of the marks obtained in any relevant entrance test. Some of the most popular entrance exams conducted to shortlist students for admission into this course include GATA, MUEE, Patna University Entrance exam, etc.
The table given below mentions some of the top colleges offering Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy.
|Week Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|5||Madras Christan College||Merit based selection||INR 38,600||INR 2.31 lakhs|
|8||Hans Raj College||Merit based selection or entrance exam||INR 18,895||INR 5.5 lakhs|
|10||Fergusson College||Merit based selection||INR 2,000||INR 3 lakhs|
|12||Christ University||Merit based selection||INR 22,500||INR 6.85 lakhs|
|30||Nizam College||Merit based selection||INR 5,000||INR 2 lakhs|
The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities for this course varies from INR 5,000 to INR 50,000 per year. The fee is different for different colleges. It primarily depends on the type of the institution.
Fresh graduates of the course can expect an initial average salary in the range of INR 1.56 Lakhs and INR 10 Lakhs. The salary offered depends on their skills and experience in the field.
Some top recruiters for such graduates are Kotak Securities, CAPGEMINI, United Airlines, Axis Bank, etc. The course offers various career opportunities.
Apart from seeking jobs, students can even choose to pursue further education. They can opt for higher professional studies in journalism or advertising, etc.
BA Philosophy Admission Process
Admission to the course is done either on the basis of the marks obtained in the 10+2 examination or on the basis of the marks obtained in any relevant entrance test.
Some of the most popular entrance exams conducted to shortlist students for admission into this course include GATA, MUEE, Patna University Entrance exam, etc.
Entrance based selection
- Colleges or universities conduct their own entrance exams in order to shortlist students for admission into the course.
- Students are required to choose the subject and register on the official website.
- The dates of the examinations are notified on the official websites. Students must fulfill the eligibility before taking the test.
- After examination, cutoff lists are released by the respective college or university.
- The college or university then releases the final merit list of the shortlisted candidates.
Merit based Selection
- Students are required to fill the application form of the colleges they are interested in. They must check the eligibility for the same.
- The college or university then releases the cut off list based on the scores obtained in the +2 examination.
- Students with marks above the cutoffs are offered admission.
BA Philosophy Eligibility
Students seeking admission into the course must fulfill the eligibility criteria mentioned below.
- One must have passed 10+2 examinations from a recognized board.
- One must have obtained an aggregate of minimum 50% marks in order to be eligible for the admission process.
- Reserved category students are required to show their concerned certificates in order to seek reservation for the admission process.
BA Philosophy Entrance Exams
Admission to BA Philosophy course is done either on the basis of the marks obtained in the 10+2 examination or on the basis of the marks obtained in any relevant entrance test.
Some of the most popular entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist candidates for admission into the course are mentioned below:
- GATA: It stands for GoenkanAptitude test for admission. The exam analyses students in terms of logical skills, mathematics, English, general awareness, and scientific.
- MUEE: It stands for Mewar university entrance examination. The exam is conducted by Mewar University to shortlist students for various UG, PG and certificate programs.
- PUEE: PUEE or Patna university entrance examination is conducted by Patna University. The test is conducted to shortlist students for various undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs offered by the university.
|Entrance exam||Exam mode||Exam level||Exam Date||Exam duration|
|GATA||Offline||University||In the month of July(Postponed)||3 hours|
|MUEE||Offline||State||In the month of July(Postponed)||2 hours|
|PUEE||Offline||State||In the month of July(Postponed)||2 hours|
How to prepare for BA Philosophy Entrance Exams?
One of the most important factors responsible for excelling in any entrance exam is to be well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence one should do thorough research about it in order to develop a clear idea about the exam pattern.
Apart from this, one should know the full syllabus of the entrance exam. One can refer to the points given below in order to perform well in any concerned entrance exam.
- Make a seperate list of the entrance exams you are interested in.
- Know the complete syllabus of the concerned entrance exam.
- Gather all the books, magazines, newspapers or any other study material you feel will aid in your preparation.
- Take counseling if you have any confusion regarding the subject.
- Use your spare time in learning new things.
- Know your strength and weakness about the subject.
- Practice previous year question papers and take as many mocks as you can.
How to get admission in a good BA Philosophy college?
- Admission to the course is offered either on the basis of an entrance test or on merit basis. In the case of merit-based selection, the marks obtained by the students in the qualifying examination are considered for the purpose of granting admission to the course. Hence students must focus on performing well in their qualifying exams.
- In case of an entrance test, it is very important to score above the minimum required marks set by the respective college or university.
- One must keep track of all the important dates of the entrance so that one can register before the deadline for the exam.
- One must be well prepared with the syllabus of the entrance exam. One must solve the previous year papers to get acquainted with the exam pattern.
- Start preparing for the entrance exam a year before as this gives ample time for learning and revision. Do keep your target institute in min
BA Philosophy: What is it about?
- BA Philosophy is a subject for the students who are mastermind or critical thinkers. The course covers all the major aspects of Indian and Western Philosophy.
- Philosophy is a branch of study which enquires into the fundamental questions about human life. It is concerned about human knowledge, moral and scientific reasoning, art and society.
- This course has a vital part to play in professions like law, business, and public administration.
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy is an appropriate choice for students who are interested in a course in Arts and often find themselves contemplating questions of life and existence.
- The course prepares students to become critical thinkers and analysers. Through the course students learn to analyze and frame arguments, write clear and persuasive arguments and understand new ways of thinking.
- The course basically revolves around human life and it's subtleness. It gives deep insights about a healthy way of living.
BA Philosophy Course Highlights
|Full-form||Bachelor of arts in philosophy|
|Examination Type||Semester / year wise|
|Eligibility||10+2 (minimum 50% marks )and relaxation to SC/ST/OBC|
|Admission process||Merit based selection or entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000- INR 1,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 1.56 lakh – INR 10 lakh|
|Top Recruiters||Kotak Securities, CAPGEMINI, United Airlines, Axis Bank, etc.|
|Job Position||Teacher, Public Service, Social Worker, Journalist, Sales Executive, etc.|
Why pursue a BA Philosophy?
Over the past years, a lot of students have found BA Philosophy as one of the most sought after courses in India. The course comes with some special benefits and perks. Some of the benefits of pursuing BA Philosophy are given below:
- The course is a boon for students who want to pursue a Philosophy course. It provides them with a path to carve their careers in a completely different field.
- The course imparts in-depth knowledge about a healthy way of living. One gets to learn about the theoretical and practical aspects of philosophy in day to day life.
- The course imparts various skills to the students. Some of such skills include critical and logical thinking, analytical skills, decision making, problem solving skills, etc.
- There is yet another option for candidates who pursue BA in Philosophy. Instead of seeking jobs, they can pursue further studies. There are lots of postgraduate courses in the domain of Arts stream. One can choose any relevant course as per one's interest.
- After the completion of the course, graduates of the course can work as a teacher, social worker, Journalist, Philosopher, etc.
Knowing the difference between various courses can help one in choosing the right one. Therefore two very similar looking courses have been compared below based on various parameters.
BA Philosophy vs BA Hons Philosophy
|Parameters||BA in Philosophy||BA Hons in Philosophy|
|Full form||Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy||Bachelor of Arts Philosophy Hons.|
|Overview||Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy is an appropriate choice for students who are interested in a course in Arts and often find themselves contemplating questions of life and existence. The course prepares students to become critical thinkers and analysers. Through the course students learn to analyze and frame arguments, write clear and persuasive arguments and understand new ways of thinking||BA Hons in Philosophy course is an advanced course in Philosophy. The course explores the History of Philosophy and the writings of some of the prominent old philosophers. Students learn to express ideas verbally and in writing. They develop skills like critical thinking, decision making and problem solving. and skills learned will be needed in philosophical reasoning|
|Course duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50% marks and relaxation to SC/ST/OBC||10+2 with minimum 50% marks and relaxation to SC/ST/OBC|
|Admission Process||Merit based/ entrance exam||Merit based/ entrance exam|
|Average Fees||INR 5,000- INR 50,000||INR 2,000- INR 70,000 lakh|
|Average Salary||INR 1.56 lakh – INR 10 lakh||INR 2 Lakhs- INR 12 lakhs|
|Top Job profiles||Teacher, Public Service, Social Worker, Journalist, Sales Executive, etc||Novelist, Poet, Non-fiction writer, Mediator, Public relation journalist.|
|Top Colleges||Christ university, Hans raj college, etc.||GD Goenka university, Amity university, Patna university, etc.|
BA Philosophy Fees vs BA Hons in Philosophy Fees
BA Philosophy Salary vs BA Hons Philosophy Salary
BA Philosophy Top Colleges
Several colleges across the country offer Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy courses. Some of the top colleges offering this course have been tabulated below.
|The Week ranking 2020||Name of the institutes||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Salary Offered (per annum )|
|8||Hans raj college||New Delhi||INR 18,895||INR 5.5 lakh|
|10||Fergusson college||Pune||INR 2,000||INR 3 lakh|
|12||Christ university||Banglore||INR 22,500||INR 6.85 lakh|
|25||Jai hind college||Mumbai||INR 6,000||INR 4 lakh|
|30||Nizam college||Hyderabad||INR 5,000||INR 2 lakh|
|-||Christ church college||Kanpur||INR 3,380||INR 6.85 lakhs|
|-||University of lucknow||Lucknow||INR 10,500||INR 3.1 lakh|
|-||Maharaja’s college||Ernakulam||INR 2,500||INR 10.5 lakh|
|-||Kamla Nehru college||New Delhi||INR 10,000||INR 4lakhs|
The graph given below shows the average CTC offered by various top colleges.
Selecting between various colleges can be a difficult task at times. So for better reference, top three colleges offering BA Philosophy courses have been compared based on various parameters.
|Parameters||Christ university||Madras christan college||Hans raj college|
|Overview||Christ University has an excellent record for placement for over 20 years. Approx 150 organizations visit this campus from different places . Every year, recruiting companies are increasing .||Madras Christian College is an Arts and Sciences College located in Tambaram, Chennai. It stands as one of the most prestigious colleges in the country.||Hansraj College is a Public College affiliated to Delhi University. The Institute is located in Delhi and was established in the year 1948. The college is affiliated to The University Grants Commission (UGC) and accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with Grade ‘A+’|
|Affiliation||UGC, AICTE||UGC, AICTE||UGC, NAAC|
|Average fees||INR 22,500||INR 38,600||INR 18,895|
|Average salary offered||INR 6.85 lakh||INR 2.31 lakh||INR 5.5 lakh|
|Top recruiters||Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst & Young, etc||IBM, TCS, ZOHO, etc.||HCL, IKYA, amazon, swiggy, etc.|
BA Philosophy Syllabus
BA Philosophy is a three years long undergraduate degree program. Each year consists of two semesters. The syllabus of the course differs from college to college. Topics covered in various semesters are given below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Basic Logical Concepts||The fundamental Questions of Ethics|
|Traditional Logic||Virtue Ethics : Aristotle|
|Symbolic Logic||Nishkama Karma (Bhagavadgita)|
|Informal Fallacies||Non-Violence (M.K. Gandhi)|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Indian Philosophy||Western Philosophy|
|IInductive Logic||Plato : Knowledge and Opinion|
|Logic||Spinoza : Substance|
|Theories of Causation||Leibnitz : Theory of Monads|
|Theories of Reality||Hume : Theory of Causation|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Indian Logic and Epistemology||Vedic System of Values|
|Philosophy of Language, Epistemology and Metaphysics (Western)||Concept of Man and Humanity|
|Ethics and Philosophy of Religion||Purusharthas|
|Optional Paper||Nature of Svadharma|
|Karma and Rebirth||Varnashrama Dharma|
BA Philosophy Books
Some books pertaining to Philosophy prescribed by some of the top colleges and universities are given below:
|Name of the book||Author|
|The problems of philosophy||Bertrand Russell|
|Philosophy 1: A guide through the subject||A.C Grayling|
|Philosophy 2: Further through the subject||A.C Grayling|
|Invitation to philosophy||Martin Hollis|
|The republic||Plato , Tom Griffith|
BA Philosophy Jobs and Career Prospects
BA Philosophy course comes with various jobs and career opportunities. Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect an average salary of INR 1.5 Lakhs to INR 3.5 Lakhs per year.
The compensation offered is proportional to the experience earned in the field. Some of the top job profiles offered to BA Philosophy professionals are given below.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|HR executive||A background in ethics and philosophy makes a Philosophy graduate adept in people skills and hence perfect for a role as an HR Executive.||INR 2 Lakhs|
|Sales Executive||A degree in Philosophy helps in understanding the needs of society making an apt background for the post of Sales Executive.||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Teacher||Those with a knack for sharing knowledge can find employment as a teacher in schools.||INR 2 Lakhs|
|PR & Advertising Executive||In BA Philosophy, students develop an informed perception toward life and society making them well equipped for a role in PR and Advertising.||INR 2.9 Lakhs|
|Social Worker||A Philosophy graduate learns the ethics and thought process of a society thus making them the ideal candidates for social work.||INR 2.5 Lakhs|
The salary trend graph for various job profiles available to BA Philosophy professionals is given below:
BA Philosophy Future Scope
- BA Philosophy course comes with various jobs and career opportunities. Such professionals are hired in the position of HR executive, Sales executive, PR executive, School teacher, Student counselor, Journalist, etc.
- Besides doing a job, a philosophy graduate has a lot of opportunities to pursue higher studies.
- An obvious choice is an MA Philosophy degree which is available at all major Universities offering Postgraduate courses in India. A philosophy graduate can also opt for MA in English Literature, which also deals with various branches of philosophy and their contribution to literature.
- Those looking for a more professional option can opt for an MBA in Human Resource Management or MBA in Marketing.
BA Philosophy FAQs
Ques. What is BA Philosophy ?
Ans. It stands for Bachelor of arts in philosophy. It is a 3 year undergraduate course. The course deals with various aspects of philosophy like indian philosophy, western philosophy, etc.
Ques. What are the subjects taught in BA philosophy?
Ans. Some of the common subjects taught in the course include Indian Philosophy, History of Western Philosophy, Social and Political Philosophy, Greek Philosophy, Philosophy of M.K. Gandhi, Philosophy of Science, etc,
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria one must fulfill in order to pursue BA Philosophy?
Ans. Students should have passed 10+2 examinations from any recognized board with minimum 50% marks.
Ques. How is the admission process for BA philosophy carried out?
Ans. Admission to the course is either offered on merit basis or is based on an entrance test.
Ques. What are some of the popular entrance exams conducted for admission into BA Philosophy courses?
Ans. Some of the popular entrance exams conducted for this purpose are GATA, PUEE, MUEE.
Ques. What initial salary can I expect after the completion of BA Philosophy course?
Ans. One can easily expect an initial compensation of INR 1.5 Lakhs to INR 3.5 Lakhs.
Ques. What are some of the top colleges offering BA Philosophy?
Ans. Some of the top colleges offering this course are Hansraj college, Christ university, Madras christian college, Jai Hind college, etc.
Ques. What are the various job profiles available to BA philosophy professionals?
Ans. Some top job positions available are HR executive, Sales executive, PR executive, School teacher, Student counselor, Journalist, etc.