What is BA Public Administration?
BA Public Administration is an undergraduate degree program that extensively deals with the study of various concepts pertaining to Administration, Public Services, Public Organizations, and the Constitutional framework. This course lasts for 3 years.
Students pursuing this course learn about democratic values like secularism, equality, law and order, justice and how these values are incorporated in the Public Administration-related policies and various government policies.
Some of the top colleges offering BA
Students who wish to pursue BA Public Administration must have passed the 10+2 examinations from a recognized board with an aggregate of minimum 50% marks.
Admission to the course is offered either on the basis of the score obtained by a candidate in any relevant entrance exam or on merit basis. In merit-based selection, marks obtained by a candidate in the qualifying examinations are considered for offering admission into the course.
The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities for this course in India lies anywhere in between INR 1,000 - 1,00,000 per year. The fee varies as per the type of the institution.
Some of the top colleges offering BA in Public Administration are given below:
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fee||Average Salary Offered|
|1||Miranda House||Delhi||INR 12,160||INR 5,00,000|
|5||Presidency College||Chennai||INR 13,000||INR 6,00,000|
|17||Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 18,719||INR 2,50,000|
|27||Scott Christian College||Nagercoil||INR 10,200||INR 4,50,000|
|42||Fergusson College||Pune||INR 2,687||INR 6,00,000|
BA Public Administration graduates are offered a salary of INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000 per annum. The salary is proportional to the experience earned in the field. The salary offered increases with an increase in experience in the respective field.
BA Public Administration candidates are hired in Bureaucracy, Economic Development Agencies, Indian Civil Services, Education, Fire and Emergency Services, Public Works, Corporate Management, Land Revenue Systems, Municipal Bodies, Management Police Department, Panchayati Raj, Secretariat Tribal Administration, etc.
Some of the major jobs offered to BA Public Administration are Corporate Operations Manager, Administrative Officer, Business Consultants, Social Worker, etc.
The course offers diverse career opportunities. Apart from seeking jobs, students can also choose to pursue higher education. They can opt for higher degrees like MA Public Administration, PhD in Public Administration, etc. Students who want to dive into the field of management can pursue a MBA course.
What is the Admission Process for BA Public Administration?
Admission to BA Public Administration is offered either on the basis of the score obtained by a candidate in any relevant entrance exam or on merit basis. In merit-based selection, marks obtained by a candidate in the qualifying examinations are considered for offering admission into the course. The various steps involved in the admission process are given below.
- Submit the application to the colleges and universities you are interested in for admission.
- Perform well in the 10+2 examinations as the scores obtained in these form the basis of the entire admission process.
- In due course of time colleges release their cutoff lists. Check if you are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the required documents.
Entrance based selection
- Submit the application to the colleges and universities you are interested in for admission.
- Register for the entrance exams you will be required to qualify in order to make it the college of your choice.
- In order to be eligible for admission, one must score above the minimum qualifying score set by the respective college or university.
- In due course of time, the colleges and universities declare the result and release a merit list of finally shortlisted candidates on the basis of the score obtained in the written test.
- After the admission process, the final allotment of seats to the candidates takes place and the candidate is required to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
Read more on Madras Christian College Admission Process.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to BA Public Administration?
Students who wish to get admission to BA Public Administration must meet up with the following eligibility criteria.
- A candidate must have passed the 10+2 examinations from a recognized board with an aggregate of minimum 50% marks.
- A candidate should not have any compartment or backlog in any of the subjects.
- Students who seek admission for reserved seats are required to present their concerned certificates at the time of counselling.
- Apart from the above-mentioned criteria, different colleges may have their own additional criteria which one must fulfil in order to take admission.
Which are the Top BA Public Administration Entrance Exams?
In the entrance based method, students are required to qualify an entrance exam in order to seek admission in any concerned college. Some of the top entrance exams for BA Public Administration course are given below.
- BHU UET: BHU UET is a national level entrance exam conducted by Banaras Hindu University for shortlisting candidates for providing admission into BSc, BA, BCom, B.P.Ed, BVSc, BFA and other UG degree programs.
- ITM-NEST: ITM-NEST is a state-level entrance exam conducted by ITM University Gwalior for shortlisting students for providing admission into various undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs
- LPUNEST: LPUNEST is a university level entrance exam conducted by the Lovely Professional University. The exam is conducted for shortlisting students for providing admission into various courses like Engineering, Law and MBA. Besides admission, the exam is also considered for offering various scholarships.
|Entrance Exam||Conducting Body||Entrance Mode||Application Period||Exam Date|
|BHU UET||BHU||Computer based test (online)||January 30 to March 21, 2020||September 9 - 14, 2020|
|ITM NEST||ITM||Online and offline||January 30, to April 15, 2020||April 18, 2020 onwards|
|LPUNEST||LPU||Computer based test (online)||Till August 31, 2020||Till August 21, 2020|
How to Prepare for BA Public Administration Entrance Exams?
Scoring well in an entrance exam is not a difficult task if one is well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence, one should go through the previous year papers and perform a proper analysis of the exam pattern. Apart from this, one should do thorough research about the full syllabus of the entrance exam. Mainly there are four sections in almost every BA Public Administration entrance exam.
- General English
- Basic maths
- General aptitude and logical reasoning
- General knowledge and current affairs
One can go through the points given below in order to perform well in any entrance exam.
- Generally, multiple-choice based questions are asked in the entrance exam. In some of the exams, negative marks are offered for every wrong answer. So, make sure you attempt only those questions which you are sure of.
- The exam pattern incorporates questions which are simple in nature. The questions are of basic 10+2 level. Hence one must focus on revising the basic concepts.
- English section generally includes questions based on reading comprehension, sentence correction, sentence completion, fill in the blanks, verbal ability, etc. The best way to get acquainted with the language is to do as much reading as possible. Apart from this, one must practise questions from previous year papers and sample papers.
- The exam consists of a simple maths question based on simple arithmetic calculations. Some of the common topics asked include averages, mixture and alligation, percentage, profit and loss, interest, ratio and proportion, etc. One can refer to the NCERT books up to 10th level, in order to perform well in this section.
- The aptitude and reasoning section includes questions based on simple logic and data interpretation. One should solve simple puzzles. After enough practise, one can refer to the questions given in sample question papers.
- Some entrance exams also have general knowledge and current affair questions. The questions asked under this section are about national and international interests, politics, current happening, Indian history, etc.
- One must read newspapers and news articles daily to stay updated on the current affairs.
- Giving mock tests forms one of the most important parts of the whole preparation process. Once done with the syllabus, one must start taking mock tests. This helps one to get a taste of the type of questions which are usually asked in the exam. Taking around 10 to 15 mocks can help you perform really well in the entrance exam.
- On the exam, days meditate for a while and stay calm and composed. Be confident about whatever you have learned.
Read more on BHU-UET Exam Pattern and Marking Scheme.
How to Get Admission in a Good BA Public Administration College?
- The admission process to the course is either entrance based or merit-based.
- In the case of merit-based selection, one must perform well in the qualifying examinations.
- In the case of entrance based selection, it is very important to perform well and score above the qualifying marks in the entrance test in order to get admission in a good college.
- One must be well aware of the latest exam pattern. One must also know the weightage assigned to each section in the exam and prepare accordingly.
- One must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before as this gives ample time for learning and revision. Do keep your target institute in mind.
BA Public Administration: What is it About?
- BA Public Administration course extensively deals with the study of various concepts pertaining to administration, Public Services, Public Organizations, and the Constitutional framework.
- Students studying BA Public Administration study topics like Secularism, Equality, Law and Order, Justice and how these values are incorporated in the Public Administration-related policies and various government policies.
- The course imparts knowledge about the mechanism being followed in the major political institutions and agencies for the formation, implementation and regulation of various public policies.
- The course also deals with the prevailing political, economic and social conditions. It also involves studying the people who actively engage in the policymaking process, including interest groups, expert communities, media, agencies, etc.
- The course prepares multitasking professionals who look upon the dominant ideas currently working upon the formation of public policies and their successful implementation.
- The course strives at effectively improving public life in the social sphere by regulating administration policies.
BA Public Administration Course Highlights
The major highlights of the BA Public Administration Course are discussed in the table given below.
|Course||BA Public Administration|
|Full form||Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration|
|Examination Type||Semester based|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized board with an aggregate of minimum 50% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance based or Merit-based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1,000 - 1,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Bureaucracy, Economic Development agencies, Indian Civil Services, Education, Fire and Emergency Services, Public Works, Corporate Management, Land Revenue Systems, Municipal Bodies, Management Police Department, Panchayati Raj, Secretariat Tribal Administration, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Corporate Operations Manager, Administrative Officer, Business consultants, Social worker, etc.|
Why Study BA Public Administration?
BA in Public Administration course is one of the most sought after courses in India in terms of personal growth and career growth opportunities. The course has many benefits attached to it. Some of the benefits and perks of pursuing this course are given below.
- The course offers various career growth opportunities and promotes the growth of knowledge.
- The course is a must-do for students who have good communication skills, have excellent computer skills, are good at observing the minutest of details and are aware of Public Administration rules and regulations.
- The course focuses on both the theoretical as well as on the practical aspect of the subject. Its curriculum incorporates various assignments, projects and internships which provide hands-on industrial experience to the students.
- The course offers a handsome salary package ranging from INR 3 to 5 lakhs.
- The course opens up various career opportunities in front of students. Students can choose to work in the public sector. Apart from this, yet another option for students is to pursue higher education.
BA Public Administration vs BA Political Science
BA Public Administration and BA Political Science are two different courses offered in the arts stream. Some of the key differences and similarities between these two courses are mentioned below.
|Parameter||BA Public Administration||BA Political Science|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration||Bachelor of Arts in Political Science|
|Course Overview||BA in Public Administration course extensively deals with the study of various concepts pertaining to administration, Public Services, Public Organizations, and the Constitutional framework. Students pursuing this course learn about democratic values like secularism, equality, law and order, justice and how these values are incorporated in the Public Administration-related policies and various government policies.||B.A. Political Science revolves around the various concepts related to politics. The course as a whole touches the various systems of governance, economics, sociology, international relations, global politics, psychology, etc. The course gives an idea about how a government functions and teaches how to interpret and analyze political systems.|
|Admission Process||Entrance based or Merit based||Merit based|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized board with an aggregate of minimum 50% marks||10+2 from a recognized board with an aggregate of minimum 50% marks|
|Average Annual Fee in INR||INR 1,000 - 1,00,000||INR 5,000 - 1,50,000|
|Average Salary Offered in LPA||INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000||INR 2,00,000 - 4,00,000|
|Top Job Profiles Offered||Corporate Operations Manager, Administrative Officer, Business consultants, Social worker, etc.||Editor, News Reporter, Writer, Politician, Bank Manager, Clerk, etc.|
Source: College Websites
Go through the full list of top BA Political Science Colleges in India.
Which are the Top Colleges for BA Public Administration?
BA Public Administration course is offered by many top colleges and universities across the country. Some of the top colleges offering this course have been mentioned below with several other details.
|NIRF Rank 2020||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fee in INR|
|1||Miranda House||Delhi||INR 12,160|
|5||Presidency College||Tamil Nadu||INR 13,000|
|17||Madras Christian College||Tamil Nadu||INR 18,719|
|27||Scott Christian College||Tamil Nadu||INR 10,200|
|42||Fergusson College||Pune||INR 2,687|
|75||Loreto College||Kolkata||INR 11,217|
|90||St. Xavier's College||Mumbai||INR 14,740|
|96||Deshbandhu College||Delhi||INR 10,500|
|NA||Ranchi Women's College||Ranchi||INR 5,311|
|NA||Jyoti Nivas College||Bangalore||INR 40,000|
Source: College Websites
BA Public Administration College Comparison
Selecting one among various colleges can be a daunting task. This becomes more difficult when all the colleges hold a certain level of reputation. Hence, to ease the process, three colleges offering BA Public Administration courses have been compared below based on various parameters.
|Parameter||Jyoti Nivas College||Miranda House||Christ University|
|Overview||Jyoti Nivas College is an Arts College in Bangalore. The college offers various Undergraduate and graduate degrees. Admission to these courses is done either on a merit basis or an entrance basis.||Miranda House is a prestigious college for women in University of Delhi. It offers BSc. Physical Sciences and BSc. Life Sciences, etc.||Christ is a private university located in Bangalore, Karnataka. It offers certificate, diploma, undergraduate, postgraduate and research programs in various academic disciplines.|
|Admission Process||Merit based||Entrance based or Merit based||Entrance based or Merit based|
|Average Annual Fee in INR||INR 40,000||INR 12,160||INR 14,500|
|Average Salary Offered in INR||INR 4,00,000||INR 5,50,000||INR 5,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Can We Do BA Public Administration Through Distance Learning?
Sometimes, due to several reasons, one can pursue the desired course through regular learning mode, in such a case distance learning mode comes to their rescue. Students can pursue a BA in Public Administration course through distance mode as well. Before taking admission, Students must check for the validity of the course and the college in distance or correspondence mode.
To know more about IGNOU Admission Process, visit IGNOU Admission page.
- In order to be eligible for this course through correspondence mode students need to pass the senior secondary examinations from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- The minimum duration required to complete this course from distance mode is 3 year and the maximum duration of the same is 5 years.
- Admission to BA Accountancy course through correspondence mode is merit-based.
- The average fee for the course ranges from INR 1,000 to INR 50,000 annually.
Given below are some colleges which offer this course through distance mode.
|Name of the Institute||Duration||Location||Average Annual Fee in INR|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||3 years||Delhi||INR 9,000|
|Acharya Nagarjuna University||3 years||Guntur||INR 6,053|
|Vardhman Mahaveer Open University||3 years||Kota||INR 14,200|
|DU School of Open Learning||3 years||Delhi||INR 3,630|
Which Subjects are taught in BA Public Administration?
BA Public Administration is a 3-year degree program. Each year consists of 2 semesters. The course curriculum incorporates various assignments, presentations and projects. A detailed semester wise break up of the course is given below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Open Administration: Meaning, Nature, Evolution, Significance||Basics of Public Administration|
|Scope of New Public Administration||Hypotheses of Organization: Classical and Bureaucratic|
|New Public Management and Public and Private Administration||Workforce Administration: Meaning; Nature and Significance|
|Association: Meaning and Basis||Components of Personnel Administration: Recruitment, Training/Capacity Building|
|Standards of Organization: Hierarchy, Span of Control, Coordination, Supervision and Control||Financial plan: Principles, Preparation and Enactment of Budget|
|Communication, Decentralization and Delegation||Open Funds: Accounting and Auditing|
|Types of Organizations: Formal and Informal||Managerial Law|
|Department, Board, Corporation and Commission||Assigned Legislation|
|Independent Regulatory Commission||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Central Administration||State and District Administration|
|English Legacies over Indian Administration||States: Representative, Constitution Framework|
|Elements of Indian Administration||Chief Minister: Appointment Powers and Functions|
|Indian Administration in Socio-Economic Development||Committee of Ministers and State Legislature|
|Essential Rights and Duties||Powers, Position, Role, Organization and Structure of State Administration|
|President: Election, Impeachment, Powers and Position||State Secretariat and Directorate: Organization and Functions|
|Head administrator and Council of Ministers: Appointment, Powers and Role||State Planning Department and Board|
|Service of Home Affairs: Organization and Role||Divisional Commissioner: Powers, Functions, and Position|
|Ministry of Finance: Organization and Functions||-|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Rural-Urban Administration||Development Administration|
|Nearby Government: Evolution, Meaning, Features and Significance||Importance and Scope of Development Administration|
|73rd and 74th Constitution Amendment Acts||Concepts of Welfare State|
|Panchayati Raj Institutions: Composition, Functions||Directive Principles of State Policy, Welfare State, Association of Planning Agencies, Planning Commission|
|Sources of Income of Gram Panchayats, Panchayat Samities and Zila Parishads||National Development Council|
|Region Planning Committee: Composition, Functions and Significance||State Planning Board and Department|
|State Finance Commission||Preparation of Five Years Plans|
|Urban-Rural Relationship and Problems||Social Welfare Administration in India: Women and Children|
What Jobs and Salary Trends are Available for BA Public Administration Candidates?
BA Public Administration course comes with various jobs and career opportunities. Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect an initial salary of INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000 per year. The salary offered is proportional to the experience earned in the field. The salary offered increases with increase in the experience in the field.
Some of the major job profiles offered to BA Public Administration graduates are mentioned below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in LPA|
|Corporate Operations Manager||The Corporate Operations Manager administers and provides expert support to the association, particularly regarding the functioning and management of any organization.||INR 6,00,000|
|Administrative Officer||An Administrative Officer is responsible for the smooth functioning of any organization. He/She processes, manages, coordinates and provides solutions to the grievances of the employees in regards to their remuneration.||INR 5,00,000|
|Business consultants||Business consultants look after various aspects of business administration such as human resource policies or medicinal services. They provide customers or clients with valuable business advice in order to fix upon various aspects of their business.||INR 4,50,000|
|Public Relations and Fundraising Manager||Public Relations and Fundraising Managers analyse the prevailing political, social and economic situations in the country. After performing proper research and analysis of such trends they provide their customers with valuable advice regarding campaigns and fundraising strategies.||INR 4,00,000|
The Average Annual Salary for various job positions offered to BA Public Administration graduates is illustrated in the given graph.
What are the Future Scopes and Further Study Options after BA Public Administration?
Over the past years, the BA in Public Administration course has become immensely popular among students. More and more students are pursuing this course. The course offers diverse career opportunities. This further affirms the immense popularity of the course among students.
- BA Public Administration graduates are hired in Bureaucracy, Economic Development agencies, Indian Civil Services, Education, Fire and Emergency Services, Public Works, Corporate Management, Land Revenue Systems, Municipal Bodies, Management Police Department, Panchayati Raj, Secretariat Tribal Administration, etc.
- Major job profiles available to such graduates are Corporate Operations Manager, Administrative Officer, Business consultants, Social worker, etc.
Apart from seeking jobs, yet another option for students is to pursue higher education. Some higher education options available to students are given below:
BA Public Administration FAQs
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria one must fulfill in order to pursue a BA Public Administration course?
Ans. Students who wish to pursue a BA in Public Administration must have passed the 10+2 examinations from a recognized board with an aggregate of minimum 50% marks.
Ques. How much does it cost to pursue a BA Public Administration degree program?
Ans. The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities for this course in India lies anywhere in between INR 1,000 and 1 lakh per year. The fee is different for private and government institutes.
Ques. Which are some of the most popular colleges offering BA Public Administration courses?
Ans. Some of the most popular colleges offering BA Public Administration course are Miranda House College, Delhi, Madras Christian College, Chennai, Fergusson college, Pune, St Xavier's college Ahmedabad, Ahmedabad, St Xavier's college Kolkata, Kolkata, Scottish Church college, Kolkata, etc.
Ques. What are various job positions available to a fresh BA Public Administration graduate?
Ans. Some job positions available to BA Public Administration graduates are Corporate Operations Manager, Administrative Officer, Business consultants, Social worker, etc.
Ques. Can I pursue a BA Public Administration course through distance learning mode?
Ans. Yes, the BA Public Administration program is also offered through distance or correspondence mode. Some top colleges offering this course through distance mode are Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam University, Jagannath University, Don Bosco University Global Center for Open and Distance Education, Bharathiar University, Suresh Gyan Vihar University.
Ques. What are some of the popular entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist candidates for admission into BA in Public Administration degree program?
Ans. Some of the major entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for the purpose of providing admission into the course are BHU UET, ITM NEST, LPU NEST, etc.
Ques. Are the entrance exams for admission into the BA Public Administration course being postponed due to COVID19?
Ans. Yes, most of the entrance exams have been postponed. Some colleges are now adopting the merit based selection method for the purpose of offering admission to students.
Ques. What salary can a fresh BA Public Administration graduate expect?
Ans. Fresh graduates of this course can easily expect a salary of INR 3 to INR 5 Lakhs per year.