B.Com. Accounting is a 3 year undergraduate course in field of auditing and accountancy. Minimum eligibility to pursue B.Com in Accounting is successful completion of senior secondary schooling, preferably from a commerce background.
Top institutes offering B.Com. Accounting are:
- Manipal University, School of Business and Commerce, Jaipur
- Maharani Lakshmi Ammanni College for Women (MLACW), Bangalore
- Xavier University, Bhubaneswar
- Maharaja Purna Chandra Autonomous College (MPC), Baripada
The main objective of this program is to impart in-depth knowledge of various aspects of commerce using theory and practice and the focus is on accounts, audit, taxation and finance. The tuition fee charged for this 3 year long course varies from INR 80,000- 5,00,000. Average starting salary of B.Com Accounting graduates is 3-5 lac per annum. The course that aims to equip students with the relevant skills to pursue careers in areas such as auditing and accounting in various organizations.
B.Com. Accounting: Course Highlights
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Course Fee||80,000-5 lacs Rupees|
|Average Starting Salary||3-5 lacs pa|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Delloite, KPMG, Ernst & Young, Genpact, Tata Consultancy Services Limited, WNS Global Services, Wipro Technologies Ltd., Tata Motors, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), National Small Industries Corporation Limited (NSIC), Heavy Engineering Corporation Limited (HEC Ltd)|
|Job Positions||Chief Accounting Officer, Accounting Firm Partner, Finance Director, Audit Manager|
B.Com. Accounting: Eligibility & Admission Procedure
As mentioned earlier, the minimum required eligibility for pursuing B.com in Accounting is successful completion of senior secondary schooling (10+2), preferably from a commerce background. Eligibility for different colleges might vary.
- The admission process involves filling out the admission application for different colleges when they are released.
- Some colleges allow direct admission through merit, i.e., the 12th class result is a deciding factor for admission of candidates into the course.
- Some colleges take an entrance test and grant admission on the basis of its result.
B.Com. Accounting Syllabus
The program for the degree of B.com in Accounting comprises of six half-yearly semesters in which all the essential topics like financial accounting, management accounting, corporate tax law and practice etc. are taught in theory and practice to the students.
The syllabus for this course has roughly been broken down semester-wise below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Financial Accounting- I||Financial Accounting – II|
|Business Economics||Business Economics – II|
|Business Organization||Cost Accounting – I|
|Business Law||Business Communication|
|General English 2||Environmental Science|
|Fundamentals of Mathematics & Statistics||Business Statistics|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Corporate Accounting||Advanced Corporate Accounting|
|Cost Accounting – II||Management Accounting|
|Corporate Laws||Financial Management|
|Income Tax Law & Practice||Indirect Taxes|
|Information Technology & Accounting (Lab Based)||Business Research Methods|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Advanced Accounts||Corporate Reporting|
|Financial Market Operations||Management Information System|
|Corporate Tax Law & Practice||Project Report – Viva Voce|
|Business Communication – II||Elective Courses: Any Four Courses from the followings:-|
|Value, Ethics & Governance||Advanced Financial Management|
|Business Analysis||Advanced Performance Management|
|Summer Training Report||Advanced Taxation|
|-||Advanced Audit & Assurance|
|-||Principles of Marketing|
|-||Banking & Insurance|
|-||Human Resource Management|
|-||Computerized Accounting (Lab- based)|
B.Com. Accounting: Future Options & Career Prospects
The employment rate of B.com (Hons Accounting) degree holders is quite high as every business requires a manager and other employees from a commerce background to manage the financial aspects of the firm.
Students holding a B.com in accounting degree can pursue higher education. Master of Commerce (M.com) is a 2 year long program offered by many prestigious institutions like Delhi University, Madras School of Economics. Master of Commerce is a post-graduate degree focusing on topics like commerce, accounting, management and economics related subjects.
Other post-graduation courses that candidates holding a Bachelor in accounting degree can pursue include:
- Chartered Accountant (CA)
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA in Finance)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
Areas of Employment
- Government Jobs
- Insurance Companies
- Legal Firms
- Telecommunication Companies
Studying commerce presents an array of employment opportunities, the details of which have been discussed below.
- Accounting Clerk: Performs various general accounting support tasks in accounting department like update and maintenance of journals, ledgers. (Average Salary- 2 lacs)
- Auditing Clerk: Works in conjunction with accounting and bookkeeping clerks in order to manage accurate financial records for large and small businesses. (Average Salary- 2.5 lacs)
- Accounting Associate: Assists Accountants and Auditors with bookkeeping, clerical duties, and managing accounts. They provide solutions to outstanding payments by communicating with departments, vendors, and clients. (Average Salary- 2.3 lacs)
- Director (Accounts): Responsible for overall growth in the accounting department. (Average salary- 10 lacs)
- Accountant: They document financial transactions by entering account information, and recommends financial actions by analyzing accounting options. (Average Salary- 2.4 lacs)
- Bookkeeper: Develops systems to account for financial transactions by establishing a chart of accounts, defining bookkeeping policies and procedures. (Average Salary- 4.5 lacs)
- Chief Accounting Officer: They bear the responsibility of overlooking all accounting departments. They coalesce with other accounting managers and plan strategies to increase productivity. (Average Salary: 3.5 lacs)
- Audit Manager: The job of an Audit Manager is to ensure that internal audits are in accordance with the annual audit plan of the company. They help a company figure out whether or not they fulfil their obligations towards international and government compliance policies. (Average Salary- 5 lacs)
- Forensic Accountant: The role of a Forensic accountant falls under a specialized practice of accounting which deals with legality issues. In the case of disputes, forensic accountants gather data and information to present as evidence in court. (Average Salary- 4.5 lacs)
After completing the course of B.com in accounting, candidates can seek jobs in various sectors where there skills and learnings would be put to use. The average salary for fresh candidates is INR 3 lacs but highly varies with the job position and the company.