B.Com. in E-Commerce is a 3-year undergraduate course which combines the principles of Accounting with E -commerce. With internet becoming a household name, E-Commerce transactions are also fast gaining popularity. Business transactions that take place over the internet are referred to as E-Commerce.
The course essentially is an advanced study of:
- the modern technologies used to simplify banking processes through e- commerce
- the cycle of operation of such virtual transactions.
- allied concepts of Law, Commercial Accounting, Management, Taxation, Programming, etc.
- up-and-coming technologies and applications in the area of E-Commerce.
- application of the discipline across diverse firms in the banking sector.
The average course fee in India ranges between INR 5,000 and 30,000 for the total duration. The average annual salary offered in India to successful graduates of the course lies between INR 3 and 6 lacs.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Commerce [B.Com] (e-commerce)
B.Com. in E-Commerce: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized educational Board|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/ Based on performance in entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 - 30,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 - 6 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||State Bank of India, Bank of Baroda, HDFC Bank, Western Union Money Transfer, Muthoot Finance, Paytm, Paypal, Amazon, Flipkart, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Banks, Business Consultancies, Foreign Trade, Industrial Houses, Inventory Control, Educational Institutes, Investment Banking, Public Accounting Firms, Marketing, Merchant Banking, Policy Planning, Public Accounting Firms, Working Capital Management, Treasury and Forex Department, among others such.|
|Top Job Profiles||Accountant, Bookkeeper, Finance Manager, Marketing Manager, Assistant Manager, and suchlike.|
B.Com. in E-Commerce: What is it About?
B.Com. in E-Commerce is a modernized course designed to focus on technology-based transaction of information, money, goods, and services, etc.
The course aims to equip eligible candidates with advanced learning in:
- online business practices of organizations.
- procedures involved in managing a business online.
- devising business plans that work for the benefit of the organization.
- designing programs for businesses to buy and sell products and services on the internet.
- virtually marketing product to ensure maximum profitability.
- ethical, legal, and security issues pertaining to the internet and business in general.
The course includes components of study such as:
- Cost Accountancy
- Information Science
- International Business
- Human Resource
- Marketing Management
- Tourism, etc.
Such graduates are lucratively hired in virtual management of:
- government organizations, private enterprises
- online shopping websites
- online marketing/ management.
Top Institutes offering B.Com. in E-Commerce
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|Ayya Nadar Janaki Ammal College||Sivaganga||5,000|
|Bishop Heber College||Tiruchirapalli||13,500|
|Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University||Aurangabad||8,400|
|Dr. G R Damodaran College of Science||Coimbatore||16,500|
|Government Arts College||Coimbatore||1,250|
|GTN Arts College||Dindigul||22,500|
|Gurukul Institute of Management and Technology||New Delhi||20,000|
|PSG College of Arts and Science||Coimbatore||18,800|
|PSGR Krishnammal College for Women||Coimbatore||1,500|
|St. Xavier's College||Kolkata||44,200|
|V. V. Vanniaperumal College for Women||Virudhunagar||33,000|
Eligibility for B.Com. in E-Commerce
Candidates wishing to apply for the course need to fulfil the following minimum eligibility criteria
Senior Secondary (10+2) qualification, preferably in the Commerce stream,completed from a recognized educational Board.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Accounts, Business Studies, Economics as the main subjects of study at the 10+2 level.
- Candidates awaiting their 10+2 examination’s results are also eligible to apply on provisional basis.
B.Com. in E-Commerce: Admission Process
Most institutes in India offering the course admit students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes also admit students based on the candidate’s obtained merit at the 10+2 level, while some conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
B.Com. in E-Commerce: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|English-I||Language-II||Principles of Marketing|
|Principles of Accountancy||English-II||Object Oriented Programming with C++|
|Business Organization and Office Management||Advanced Accounting||Cost Accounting|
|Introduction of Information Technology||Database Management System||Statistic for Business|
|Computer Applications: MS Office||Computer Applications: Oracle||Computer Applications: C++|
|Language-I||Mathematics for Business||Commercial Law|
|-||Education – Human Rights||-|
|Principles of Auditing||Software Engineering||E-Commerce-II (Strategy and Applications)|
|Internet and Web Designing||Management Accounting||Software Development with Visual Basic|
|Executive Business Communication||E-Commerce Technology||Computer Applications: Visual Basic|
|Computer Applications||Java Programming||Elective|
|Principles of Management||Computer Applications: Java Programming||Cyber Law|
|Company Law||Banking and Insurance Law||Project Work|
|Income Tax Law & Practice||Supply Chain Management|
|Brand Management||Financial Markets|
|Fundamentals of Insurance||Business Finance|
|Indirect Taxes||Entrepreneurial Development|
B.Com. in E-Commerce: Who should opt?
Ideal candidates for the course would ideally possess interest in, and aptitude for:
- online business and e-commerce- concepts and processes
- business and business-related affairs.
- strategic planning and study system analysis
- web applications such as website-designing
- programming applications such as database and networks
- technology-driven industry/ commerce.
B.Com. in E-Commerce: Career Prospects
Such graduates are lucratively hired in areas of employment including:
- Accounting and management firms
- Organizations dealing with electronic transactions
- Banks and financial organizations
- Networking and marketing firms
- Accountancy departments of State/ local/ central government.
Some of the major career roles that such professionals commonly explore are:
- Actuaries Personnel, Accountant
- Certified Public Accountant
- Chartered Management Accountant
- Chief Financial Officer
- Financial Analyst, Investment Analyst
- Cost Estimator, Stock Broker
- Book Keeper, Budget Analyst
- Business Consultant
- Finance Manager, Marketing Manager
- Personal Financial Advisor
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of B.Com. in E-Commerce are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Marketing Manager||Marketing Managers are responsible for developing strategic marketing plans that are implemented and executed for an entire organization, business, and brands. They work towards attracting potential customers and retaining existing ones.||6-12 lacs|
|Budget Manager||Budget Managers work with Program and Project Managers in creating an organization's budget. They review managers’ and other executives’ budget proposals for adherence to company law, accuracy, and compliance with rules and other regulations. Besides preparing budget reports, they monitor institutional spending.||3-6 lacs|
|Finance Manager||Finance Managers review financial reports, monitors accounts, and prepare activity reports and financial forecasts of the company. They also investigate ways to improve profitability and cut down costs. Their duties also include analyzing market trends for business opportunities such as expansion, mergers, or acquisitions.||9-12 lacs|
|Accountant||Accountants prepare asset, liability, and capital account entries. They compile and analyze income and revenue expenditures. Additionally, they document financial transactions and recommend financial actions.||6-10 lacs|