BCom is the second most popular course in the commerce field. The average salary of a BCom graduate is INR 4.44 to 7 lakh. The industries in which a BCom graduate can work are Information Technology, BPO, Financial Services, Manufacturing, Banking, Consulting, etc.
The basic eligibility to go ahead with the course is to have a qualifying degree of higher secondary level from any recognized board. With an average cost of study ranging from INR 10,000 to 50,000, admission to BCom is generally offered on the basis of merit.
However some Universities like Delhi University, Banaras Hindu University, etc. conduct their own entrances as well.
After successfully getting this degree, one can explore the service sectors in positions of Accountant, Tax Consultant, Account Executive, Commodity Trader, Bookkeeper, Actuary, etc.
Some of the top recruiters offering high paid jobs to these degree holders are tabulated below
|Ernst & Young||Deloitte|
The graph below shows the salary offered to BCom graduates by some of the popular companies:
Apart from studying further and doing a job in the field of Chartered Accountancy and Company Secretaryship, there are many other job options that you can select as per your choice and skills.
So, below we have described some of those BCom jobs:
|Job Roles||Job Description||Average Salary (INR)||Highest Salary (INR)|
|Tax Consultant||It is known to be one of the most lucrative options because taxation is a kind of field that affects everyone. So, here also the demand is really high.||5 Lakhs||9.23 Lakhs|
|Auditor||An auditor holds a very important position in a company as he/she basically keeps a check upon the financial statements and accounting ledger of the different companies.||4.61 Lakhs||10 Lakhs|
|Stock Broker||It is known to be one of the most interesting career options for commerce graduates. If you have a keen interest in the management of stock, securities market, finance, mathematics then you should for this job profile. What all you have to do is do a short certification course in this field and you are good to go.||3.93 Lakhs||8.11 Lakhs|
|Export-Import Manager||During graduation, you will also be trained in this field. All the companies which deal in the export and import of goods will definitely require an export-import manager. You can join at an entry-level position in a company and then soon you will attract excellent pay in this field.||2.44 Lakhs||6.50 Lakhs|
|Accountant||After the completion of the BCom course, it is one of the most ideal and common choices made by a BCom graduate. One other advantage of going for this course is that accountants are required in every company due to which they need for accountants. The initial payment will be less but gradually you will have a hike in your pay package.||2.48 Lakhs||5.08 Lakhs|
|Finance Consultant||The financial future of a company is planned by a financial consultant. They basically tell about the profitable investments and other beneficial plannings that are required in a company.||10.03 Lakhs||20 Lakhs|
|Banker||A BCom graduate can easily get a job in the bank by cracking their entrance exam. You can either go for a public sector bank or a private sector bank.||3.61 Lakhs||8 Lakhs|
|Insurance Consultant||An insurance consultant is quite similar to the finance consultant. One minor difference between the two is that an insurance consultant generally plans about backup plans if any accidental disaster occurs.||3 Lakhs||5 Lakhs|
So, there are numerous jobs for BCom freshers as well as experienced. If you are technically sound and you have skills and knowledge, then you can definitely grab a good job.
Career Options After BCom
Most of the students are opting for BCom nowadays because of the wide variety of career options available after doing this course. BCom helps in building an excellent foundation in the core commerce subjects like accounts, costing, law, and taxation. Now comes the point of what you want to do after completing your BCom course.
It will purely depend on your skills and interest in a particular field. You can make your choice on the basis of which subject do you love the most, in the industries like Financial Planning, Accounting, Equity Research, Capital Market, Stock MArkets, etc.
If you want to grab a better job, then you should go for further study i.e. a postgraduate course. This will not only widen your career opportunities but will be an addition to your skills and knowledge.
Which Academic Courses Can be Done After BCom?
- MBA: If you want to do business or you want to do a managerial role in a company then MBA is a perfect fit for you. But your career will surely depend upon the credibility of the college you are studying in. It is a 2-Year program and a most sought after course. You will get numerous networking as well as job opportunities.
- Masters in Applied Economics: If you are someone who is fond of economics and want to take it further then you can also go for a Masters in Applied Economics. This course is all about economics and specializations in the area of management and finance.
- Master of Commerce: After BCom, most of the students opt for MCom. It is like the advanced version of BCom in which you will do the systematic study of the core commerce subjects.
- Masters in Finance or Accountancy: If you want to study finance or accounting further then you can go for this course. The technical aspects of finance and quantitative methods will be taught. The duration will be around 1-2 years.
Which Professional Courses Can be Done After BCom?
- Company Secretary (CS): If you are interested in becoming the executive secretary to MD (Managing Director) or CEO (Chief Executive Officer) then you should opt for this course. It comes up with immense potential and job opportunities.
- Chartered Accountant (CA): ICAI (Chartered Accountants of India) conducts this course and it basically has 3 levels: CPT, IPCC, and CA Final. If you completed your BCom then you can directly appear for the IPCC level.
- Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India (ICWAI): It is basically a cost accounting course. After completing this course, you can work as a chief accountant, Financial Controller, Cost Controller, etc. Here also there are 3 levels- foundation, intermediate and final courses.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA): If you want to experience the competence in the field of Accountancy and that too all around the world, then go for this course. The duration of this course is 1 year and it is highly regarded as an international course and will also open various career opportunities in the field of accounting and CFO positions.
Accounts Related Courses that Can be Done After BCom
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants: ACCA is known to be one of the world’s leading organizations. It is growing at such a fast pace that most of the students are preferring this course. It consists of around 14 exams and the duration of this course is around 2 years.
- Business Accounting and Taxation (BAT): If you want to have hands-on experience in Accounting and Taxation then you must opt for this course. The duration of this course is 1 year and you will get a job in the field of taxation and accounting.
- Cost Accounting: The overall budget, cost, and profitability of various products, activities, and services come under the domain of cost accounting. You will get to explore concepts like planning a profit, cost management, pricing, cost variance analysis and many more.
Finance Related Courses
After BCom, some of the popular finance courses are Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Financial Modelling and Financial Risk Management (FRM). Banking and Insurance related courses are also there like Certified Bank Manager Program, Diploma in Banking and Financial Services, Post Graduate Diploma in Banking, Personal Insurance Course, etc.
Read everything about BCom to know about the course in detail.
So, there are numerous BCom job opportunities and it all depends upon your skills and interest that which career option suits you the best.