Bachelor of Engineering in Information Science and Engineering is an undergraduate program which specializes in computer science and information technology.
BE Information Science and engineering where candidates must have completed their 10+2 with at least 55% (relaxation is available for reserved candidates).
BE Information Science and engineering is a four-year course with two semesters each year. At the end of each semester, the students are required to pass through various internal evaluations, assignments, and theory.
The colleges/institutes conduct their entrance exams (BITSAT/LPUNEST) or offer admission based on JEE Mains, JEE Advanced, UPSEE entrance exams. Some of the institutes also offer admission based on merit prepared out of 10+2 marks.
BE Information Science Engineering focuses on developing field knowledge so that after completing the course, students will not struggle in the job market. The graduates of the BE Information Science and Engineering course get the jobs of IT, Software Engineer, Software tester, manager, Web designer, application developer, etc.
The students also have the opportunities to pursue the M.E. or M.Phil. to get better placement in the IT sector. Initially, the students are placed with monthly salaries ranging from 14k to 18k.
BE Information Science and Engineering: Course Highlights
|Course||BE Information Science and Engineering|
|Full form||Bachelor of Engineering in Information Science and Engineering|
|Admission Process||Entrance based|
|Average tuition fee||INR 50000 to INR 100000|
|Job Positions||Software Engineer, IT Manager, Software tester, Data Miner|
|Top recruiting areas||Web Development, Web Designing, IT services|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 4,00,000|
BE Information Science and Engineering: Admission Process
The BE (Information Science and Engineering) course admission is based on the common entrance test as well as a merit-based selection process (in some colleges/institutes).
- The admission in the top Engineering Institutes such as IITs, NITs is based on the JEE Advanced and JEE Main.
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into B.E Information Science and Engineering (like BITSAT) or some of the colleges/universities also take admissions through commonly held entrance exams like JEE Main, UPSEE, JEE Advanced. Hence students should keep visiting the official website to apply for these entrance exams.
- The students who perform well in the entrance exams get admission based on their merit.
- the colleges/universities prepare the merit list based on the marks obtained in the entrance exam and then the selected students are invited for the counselling process.
- After the counselling process, the students are allotted seats in the respective college or university. The selected students are asked to deposit the course fees and required documents at the time of the admission process.
The admission procedure is almost similar in all the Engineering colleges/universities.
See Also: Top BE Information Science and Engineering Colleges in India
BE Information Science and Engineering: Eligibility
Candidates must have passed their 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central board.
the students must achieve at least 55% (relaxation is available for reserved categories) of the marks with Science subjects (Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics) as the major subjects of study.
- The candidates must not be having any supplementary/ compartment in any of the subjects at 10+2 or equivalent level.
- Apart from the academic eligibility, the colleges/universities may also have their own rules and eligibility criteria, which differ from college to college.
- The candidates belonging to reserved categories should go through the admission notification before applying for the course. They must ensure their eligibility based on the relaxation they have.
- Most of the institutes offer admissions based on Common Entrance Test (CET) (like JEE Main, UPSEE). Candidates would have to qualify for the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks to get admissions to these institutes.
The above-mentioned eligibility criteria are common to most universities and colleges across the country.
Check Also: BE Information Science and Engineering Cut-Offs
BE Information Science and Engineering: Entrance Exams
The colleges/universities offer admissions for Engineering courses based on entrance exams conducted by states or some colleges conduct their entrance exams. They are given below
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|JEE Mains||Check Here|
|JEE Advanced||Check Here|
BE Information Science and Engineering: What is it about?
- The course is designed to prepare the students for the technological changes and innovations in society.
- The course prepares the students to face technical challenges and provide innovative solutions for such technical issues.
- The students get the knowledge to provide the solutions to the technical challenges as they get training on how to solve them. The candidates learn national and technological differences.
- With this course, the students also have the opportunity to pursue their further education in M.E. or M.Phil.
BE Information Science and Engineering: Top Colleges
Many colleges/ universities offer the undergraduate BE Information and Science Engineering program across the country. The students who have completed their 10+2 with the required marks can apply for the course. Here is the list of some institutes offering BE Information Science and Engineering:
|Acharya Institute of Technology, Bangalore||3.01 Lakhs|
|National Institute of Technology, Warangal||1.3 Lakhs|
|AMC Engineering College, Bangalore||INR 1.25 Lakhs|
|APS College of Engineering, Bangalore||INR 56,000|
|BIET, Devanagere||INR 92,000|
BE Information Science and Engineering: College Comparison
|Parameter||Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay||Manipal University, Manipal||SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai|
|Overview||IIT Bombay offers Admissions to B.Tech, B.S, M.Sc, M.Tech./ MS and M.Des through JEE Advanced, JAM. GATE and CEED scores respectively.||Manipal University is an AICTE approved University which offers undergraduate programs in various Engineering.||SRM IST offers a wide range of undergraduate Engineering programs.|
|India Today 2020 ranking||3||8||58 (overall)|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra||Manipal, Karnataka||Kanchipuram, Chennai|
|Admission Process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average Fees||INR 4,50,000||INR 3,35,000||INR 2,60,000|
|Average Salary Package||INR 4,11,000||INR 7.5 LPA||INR 10LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Anurag Kashyap Films Pvt Ltd, Encompass, Google, Grey Worldwide, Hanmer MSL, Big Synergy, CNN IBN,||Sachs, KPMG, HPE, L&T, MyGate, TCS, Accenture, Capgemini, Cleartax, Dell, Deloitte, Goldman||Google, Microsoft, Optum, Zs Associates, GE Digital, Udaan.com|
BE Information Science and Engineering: Distance Education
The aspirants seeking admission to distance Bachelor of Engineering course can pursue it through distance mode. The top universities/colleges offering a Bachelor of Engineering in Information Science and Engineering are:
- Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), Delhi
- Sikkim Manipal University Distance Education, Sikkim
It is a four-year or eight semesters degree program. The aspirants must fulfil the eligibility criteria to apply for the distance B.E. program. The candidates must have passed 10+2 with the required minimum percentage marks nearly 50% which may vary at different colleges/institutes.
BE Information Science and Engineering: Course Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Basics Civil and Mechanical Engineering||Basic Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Communicative English||Computer Programming|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Data Structure with C||Analysis and Design of Algorithms|
|Logic Design||Graph Theory and Combinatory|
|Unix and Shell Programming||Object-Oriented Programming with C++|
|Discrete Mathematical Structure||Microprocessors|
|Practical lab||Computer Organization|
|Electronics Circuits||Practical Lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Software Engineering||Computer Networks 2|
|Operating System||Database Applications|
|System Software||File Structure|
|Computer Networks 1||Information System|
|Database Management System||Elective 1|
|Formal Languages and Automata Theory||Management and Entrepreneurship|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Object-Oriented Modeling and Design||Software Testing|
|Programming the web||Mobile Computing|
|Software Architectures||System Modeling and Simulation|
|Data Mining||Elective 3|
|Elective Subject 2||Elective 4|
|Practical Lab||Practical Lab|
BE Information Science and Engineering: Job Profiles
The candidates have multiple opportunities in their career in BE Information Science and Engineering. One can choose from sectors such as web development, web designing, IT services, etc. Many MNCs hire Computer Science and IT Professionals to Indian and overseas offices and hence, there is a huge demand for such courses.
|Software Engineer||Work of software engineer involves developing various software and program algorithms as per the need of clients of the company.||INR 2 - 3 Lakhs|
|Software Tester||The job of a software-tester involves checking and eliminating any redundancy in the software program so, as to ensure the bug-free performance of the software.||INR 1 - 3 Lakhs|
|IT Manager||An IT manager is entrusted with the responsibility of making the IT system of the company work in a hassle-free manner through its effective management.||INR 1 - 3 Lakhs|
|Data Miner||A data miner’s job revolves around making the validation and authentication of the various transactions that take place through digital mode or through the use of cryptocurrency.||INR 1 - 3 Lakhs|
The candidates who have completed their graduate degree in BE Information Science and Engineering can get employed in areas such as Colleges & Universities, Hardware and Software Developing Companies, Aeroplane Companies/ Telecom Companies, Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd., Airports, IT Companies.
The candidates also get jobs in the following roles:
- Information Solution Provider
- Information Content Designer
- Information & Multimedia Designer
- Information Technology Web Designer
- Information Developer/Technical Writer
The candidates who have completed this program have the maximum chances of getting hired by the institutes. An Information Science Engineer works in a wide range of sectors or fields, and hence, the BE Information Science and Engineering graduates get a job in the different Engineering fields. The BE Information Science and Engineering graduate can opt for not only private jobs but also many govt.
BE Information Science and Engineering: Future Scopes
The IT sector is getting foreign companies to settle in our country, and hence, job security becomes questionable in such an unstable market. However, for those who spend a few years in the same company, the salary increases accordingly.
The graduates of BE Information Science and Engineering get hired in the companies some of which are given below:
- Airtel & BSNL
- Hutchison & Vodafone
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Ltd
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Accenture Solutions
- Cognizant technological Solutions
- ASUS, Cisco Systems
- Cypress Semiconductor Tech. Ltd
- Analogue devices India
Some of the Government jobs are mentioned below where the graduates of BE Information Science and Engineer course get employed :
- Ministry of electronics and information technology
- Indian Cyber Army
- Ministry of communications and information technology
- Indian Army
- National Informatics Center
- Indian Navy
The BE Information Science and Engineer graduates get the minimum salary of 2 lacs to the maximum salary up to 20 lacs per annum. The salary keeps on increasing with the experience of the candidate. The candidates with more than five year’s of experience are promoted to the managerial positions.
Graduates can also pursue further studies like ME/MTech or M.Phil. courses.
BE Information Science and Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What are the average fees of private and government Engineering colleges which offer BE Information Science and Engineering courses?
Ans. The course fees for private and Government colleges is not the same. The private colleges charge higher fees for BE Information Science and Engineering. The average fees structure is:
Public college- 260K
Private college - 450K
Ques. Do the BE Information Science and Engineering course have a scope?
Ans. The job areas for the graduates of B. Tech Information Science and Engineering are similar to that of Information Technology Engineering. The course syllabus is designed to grow the student’s skills to maximise job opportunities. And hence, this course has favourable scopes.
Ques. What is the difference between Computer Science Engineering and Information Science Engineering?
Ans. Computer Science engineering deals with the study of design, implementation, and management of information systems of both software and hardware processes. However, Information Technology deals with installation, development and implementation of computer systems and applications.
Ques. Is there scope of BE Information Science and Engineering?
Ans. Yes, there is a wide range of jobs for the graduates of BE Information Science and Engineering. An Information Science Engineering graduate can employ himself in the field of Computer Industry, Financial sector, Telecommunication Industry, Biotechnology Industry, e-commerce industry, etc.
Ques. Who Should opt for BE Information Science and Engineering?
- Students who have an interest in Computer technology and related studies, software development and testing.
- Those who are looking for a career in Information technology and Management.
- Those who want to pursue their higher studies.
Ques. What are the steps in the admission process of BE Information Science and Engineering?
Ans. The aspirants after qualifying for the entrance exams wherever applicable require to apply online through the official website of the college/university. They will be invited for a further round of selection if selected by the college.
Ques. What are the steps to apply Online?
Ans. Most of the colleges have Online applications. Hence, the aspirants are required to visit the official website of the college/university.
Ques. Is there a minimum requirement for course attendance to appear in the final exams?
Ans. Yes, the minimum attendance percentage may vary from college to college. Most of the colleges/universities make it mandatory to maintain 75 to 80% attendance in the course. The students with valid reasons (such as the death of family members, serious illness, accident, etc) can appear after producing the reason for absence certificate.