Bachelor of music is a 3 year course for undergraduates. It will help you to be a perfectionist in vocalizing. Music comprises vocal music, dance forms, instrumental music.
This course is for the students who passed 10+2 with minimum 50% marks scored and moderation to those candidates who are in reserved category. There should be no compartment in any of the subjects.
Admission to Bachelor of music can be Merit Based selection as on the basis of marks scored minimum 50% or Entrance test taken by some of the colleges and universities as CET (common entrance test) or Skill test.
Course fee will be INR 15,000 to INR 1 lakh per annum. Fees differ depending on the location of the university and companies. Also, it depends whether the university is private or government.
Tabulated Below are the top colleges offering Bachelor of music in India,as per The Week rankings.
|The week Rankings||College name||Admission process||Average annual fees (INR)||Average annual salary (INR)|
|3.||Hindu college||Merit based selection||16,540||5 LPA|
|7.||Miranda house college||Merit based selection||14,160||1.80 LPA|
|11.||Ramjas college||Entrance test||13,495||2.50 LPA|
|12.||Christ university||Entrance test||85,500||13 LPA|
|19.||Indraprastha college for women||Merit based/ entrance exam||24,100||3.50 LPA|
After graduation, Bachelor of music may apply for Artist & Repertoire (A&R) person, Band leader, Disc jockey, composer, concert promoter, etc.
Graduated students can do field work, work with the professionals, also they have opportunities related to music teachers for primary and secondary school etc.
Average salary offered to Freshers is INR 2-5 LPA . It can be more depending on the experience, skills.
Top recruiters are commission of fine arts, cultural affairs, department of education, AIR, voice of America, office of international education, etc.
Bachelor of music has many further study options. They can opt for Masters of music as specialization in performing, composing, lyrics writing, etc.
Bachelor of Music Admission Process
Admission to Bachelor of Music in India is offered both through the entrance test as well as Merit based selection.
Brief description of the process of admission is given below:
- Colleges or Universities conduct CET (common entrance test)
- Students who are interested have to register on a website. Candidate has to select their course during registration.
- Students have to clear these tests with the eligible marks to get admission in good colleges and universities.
- After conducting the test, the cut-off list comes out for conducting counseling for the selected students.
- Some colleges or universities conduct assignment tests for the students to get admission.
- After counseling of Students, final processes are allotted to allot seats to the respective student.
Merit based Selection:
- Cut-off lists along with admission forms (including eligibility to get admission) get listed out by respective colleges or universities.
- Students fill the form according to their eligibility.
- Colleges come out with the shortlisted names of the students to offer admission to the specific courses.
Bachelor of Music Eligibility
The eligibility criteria to get a Bachelor Of Music degree are:
- Students must have passed 10+2 with minimum 50% scored (moderation to reserved candidate).
- In addition, He/ she shall not be having any receptacle in any of the subjects at 10+2.
- Students who belong to reserved category will have to show their certificate with required eligibility.
- Some colleges or universities have their own criteria, so students would have to be satisfied to get admission.
- Sometimes, colleges or universities conduct CET and students have to qualify it.
Bachelor of Music Entrance Exams
Since Bachelor Of Music degree is an undergraduate level, entrances are conducted as per colleges through CET (common entrance test).
CET are the competitive exams conducted for the purpose of admission of students to the first year or first semester of full-time courses by professional colleges like LPU, Ramjas college, Christ university, etc. The mode of exam can be both online and offline, depending on the colleges. The type of questions that comes in these exams are mostly in the form of MCQ’s
How to crack Bachelor of Music Entrance Exams ?
Following are some tips on how to prepare for the common entrance exams:
- Firstly, you should know your syllabus for the entrance exam.
- Collect books with good material.
- Read the paper daily to enhance your general knowledge and current affairs.
- You should have knowledge of your opt subject.
- Search for the top institutes helping in cracking the Entrance Exam.
- Time management is one of the best reasons to crack your exam.
How to get admission into a good Bachelor of Music college?
Given below are some of the tips to secure an admission into top Bachelor Of Music colleges in India like Hindu college, Miranda house college, Ramjas college, Christ university, etc
- Choose the colleges and additional in which you are interested and confident to score high.
- You should score good marks in your 10+2. Score the best grades in 4 years of your high school.
- Focus on general knowledge and current affairs to crack entrance exams of a good college.
- Take school counseling during the end of the last year to clear your doubts about the course and college.
- Use your summer vacation to improve your skills, talent. Do more co-curriculum activities.
- Keep yourself updated on the important dates and notifications related to your dream colleges, so that you do not miss any update.
Bachelor of Music: what is it about?
Mentioned below points will help you to know more about Bachelor Of Music:
- Bachelor of music is a graduate degree granted by a college or university upon completion of your 3-years course in music.
- This degree provides a qualified and trained team of professionals in handling various aspects related to performance, recording, and distribution of the music album.
- Bachelor of Music helps to develop language and reasoning in students.
- Students pursuing this course can have a better sense of hearing and understanding who can pick out imagination patterns from surrounding noise.
- A bachelor’s level course in music provides knowledge and skills to the students in regards to these basics of performance, organization, and composition of the art form.
- These skills and knowledge are imparted to students in the face of theoretical subjects and practical modules.
Bachelor of Music: Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are tabulated below
|Full-form||Bachelor of Music|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% score (Moderation to reserved candidates|
|Admission process||Entrance test/ merit based|
|Course Fee||INR 15,000 to 1 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 2-5 LPA|
|Top Recruiting places||Orchestras, Bands, Performing Art Centers, Film TV industry,etc.|
|Job Position||Artist & Repertoire person, band leader, Disc Jockey, Composer, Concert Promoter,etc.|
Why study a Bachelor of Music Course?
Following are some of the advantages of pursuing a Bachelor of Music degree
- Bachelor of Music syllabus is Standardized and instruction provided by the professional teachers & artists in writing, recording, executing.
- Students with this degree can take part in band or orchestra, which greatly contribute to children's insidious development.
- Bachelor of Music subjects are not monotonous like other mainstream courses but include songwriting and composition, music therapy, and learning new instruments.
- The course can serve as both a hobby and a medium to earn livelihood. If pursued well, consistency can take these aspirants to making a career in the music industry.
- Bachelor of Music courses can bring both money and fame in the long run. The average salary earned by these professionals ranges from INR 2-5 LPA, but wait time and experience increases.
Given below is the comparison made between Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of actor Musicianship.
|Parameters||Bachelor of Music||Bachelor of Actor Musicianship|
|Course Overview||This course makes you perfectionist in composing, music therapist, performing, and many more.||This course offers you distinctive and practical training who have music skills.|
||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with 50% marks scored (moderation to reserved category)||10+2|
|Admission process||Merit based/ entrance exam||Merit based/ entrance exam/ skill test|
|Average fees||INR 15,000 to 1 LPA||
|Top colleges||Christ university, Miranda house college, etc||Kurukshetra university, lovely professional university, etc|
|Job roles||Artist & Repertoire person, band leader, Disc Jockey, Composer, Concert Promoter, etc||Live performer,Singing or playing instruments in theatre roles, storytelling through song, etc|
|Average salary||INR 2-5 LPA||INR 1-4 LPA|
Source; University websites and Payscale
Bachelor Of Music Colleges
Tabulated below are some of the top colleges offering Bachelor of Music in India:
|Name of the institutes||City||Average annual fees||Average salary|
|Christ university||Bangalore||85,500||13 LPA|
|Miranda house college||New Delhi||14,160||1.80 LPA|
|Hindu college||New Delhi||16,540||5 LPA|
|Indraprastha college for women||New Delhi||24,100||3.50 LPA|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||?72,833||5.2 LPA|
|Ranchi university||Ranchi||2,350||3.47 LPA|
|Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj university||Kanpur||28,000||2 LPA|
|Atal Bihari Vajpayee Hindi vishwavidyalaya||Bhopal||7,633||50 LPA|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||4,261||1 LPA|
|University of Calicut||Calicut||1,127||2 LPA|
The table below shows the comparison between the top colleges offering Bachelor of Music in India.
|Parameters||Miranda house college||Hindu college|
|College Overview||Established in 1948, Miranda House is a college for women at the University of Delhi, New Delhi, India. The college, in 2019, has been ranked as the best college in India by National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF).||Hindu college is acknowledged as one of the premier & esteemed academic colleges in the country. It was founded in the year 1899 by Late Shri Krishan Das Ji Gurwale (Nationalist struggler).|
|The Week Rankings||7||3
|Location||New Delhi||New Delhi|
|Average Fees||INR 14,160||INR 16,540|
|Average placement||1.80 LPA||5 LPA|
|Top recruiting companies||S&P Capital IQ, IBM, TCS, etc||HSBC, TCS, HCL, deloitte, etc.|
Bachelor Of Music Syllabus
The course curriculum is organized into 6 semesters lasting for 3 years. Each year consists of 2 semesters. The syllabus is related to the art of music. Bachelor Of Music Syllabus decided on the basis of music form.
Tabulated below is the Bachelor Of Music Syllabus
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Appreciation of music||Composition of music||Law of Acoustics|
|Khyal form of music||Classification of Ragas||Literature and Music|
|History of indian music||Evolution of Notation||Music and Fine arts|
|Natya shastra||Forms of Music||Vocal and Instrumental|
|Ragas and tala||Religious significance of Music||Recording of music|
|Arts performance||Practical/Theater performance||Viva voce|
|Open elective 1||Open Elective 2||Practical seminar|
Bachelor Of Music Books
Following are some of the Bachelor of Music Books
|Tantrinada||Dr. Lalmani Mishra|
|Sitar and its compositions Part – I & II||Prof. V.K. Aggarwal, Dr. Alka Nagpal|
|Compositions in Instrumental music (tradition and new creation)||Prof. Anupam Mahajan|
|Sitar Vadan Siksha||Pt. Krishna Rao Shankar Pandit|
Bachelor of Music Jobs descriptions and Career options
There are several positions that open after a Bachelor of Music degree for any candidate. There are many top recruiting companies in the music industry, here are some for your reference:
- commission of fine arts
- cultural affairs
- department of education
- voice of America
- office of international education, etc
Tabulated below are some of the Bachelor of job Music jobs along with the description of the role and average salary.
|Job profiles||Role||Average annual salary|
|Music producers||To produce or compose songs for the musicians||INR 5|
|Band leader||A band leader is the main vocalist of the band who leads the performance on the stage.||INR 3|
|Sound broadcasting||The job involves creating new effects for combination and integration of various genre of music as per the demand of the project||INR 2|
|Lyrics writer||A Lyrics writer is involved in the task of writing the wording and phrases of the song to be sung.||INR 4|
|Singer||A singer is involved in performing the art of music either on stage or in a playback for some actor.||INR 8|
Bachelor Of Music Scope
Future scope generally means opportunities seeking innovators and innovation. Opportunities like startups, scale-ups, lyrics writers, composers and investors, etc.
After the completion of graduation, there is a wide scope of music as many job opportunities are there.
Some of the job opportunities are for your preference:-
- Music industry
- production houses
- TV channels
- advertisement companies
- Music Teacher in school, colleges and universities
- can open music centers
- work in T.V serials
After graduation, they can choose for further studies in music. They can go for post-graduation. In post-graduation, they can opt for master in music as specialization in performing, vocalizing, composing, lyrics writing etc.
Specialization makes them perfectionists in the specific course and this will help them to search for a better company for them, a professional trainer, high package of salary.
They can opt for abroad studies and can prefer better job opportunities there.
Bachelor Of Music FAQ's
These are some frequently asked questions in regards to this course:
Ques. What is B.A in music?
Ans: It stands for Bachelor of arts in music.
Ques. Can Bachelor of music graduate in 4 years?
Ans: Yes, Some colleges and universities have 4 year courses. Otherwise, It is a 3year undergraduate course. You are provided a contact with a department of education, so that you can clear with the proper course time to choose and clear it in the first attempt.
Ques. Is it hard to get admission in musician institutes?
Ans: No, It is not hard to get admission in musician institutes. Just you have to score marks according to the eligibility of the college. Sometimes, it depends on your entrance test. If you are aware of proper syllabus, then you will get a good college.
Ques. Can I declare a concentration in composition, ethnomusicology, musicology, or performance?
Ans: The only “declaration” process is the declaration of the music major in consultation with a staff advisor. All music majors receive a B.A. in Music. If they wish, students may concentrate or specialize based on individual interests. Upper-division courses in each of the fields listed above are offered every semester. Consult undergraduate careers for planning suggestions, or meet with a faculty member to discuss options. Students are encouraged to select a faculty mentor who will help guide them along the chosen path. This is particularly important for students who are interested in pursuing graduate studies or considering a career in music.
Ques. What skills do we require to become a better bachelor of music?
Ans: Skills you require to become a better bachelor of music are:- Ability to be creative and think outside the box, improvising; composing innovative music; learning the music in advance of performances being part of an ensemble scheduling and getting to lessons and rehearsals, learning and performing music.
Ques. Is a Bachelor of music worth in one's life?
Ans: Yes, there are many job opportunities for Bachelor of music. A wide scope comes under this course where students learn many things related to music.
Ques: How do I start a career in music after the degree?
Ans: You can start your career in music when you find your best skills:
- Keep your appointments, show up for things on time and keep your communications professional.
- Consider expenses carefully.
- Meet your deadlines
Ques. Do music therapists make good money with Bachelor of Music degrees ?
Ans: The music therapist salary varies widely according to geographic location, type of practice and years of experience. salary varies between 10 lakh to 25 lakh per annum.