BSc Data Science is a 3 year full-time course that comes under the domains of Computer Science, Business Analytics and Artificial Intelligence.
Data Science is an interdisciplinary subject that includes the use of Statistics, Big Data Analytics, Machine Learning and related aspects in order to understand the problem or phenomena with respect to a set of real-world data.
This course is highly popular among students in India and Abroad because of its increasingly high demand and diverse future scope in tech companies, consultancies, market research companies and energy sector.
Admission to this course usually takes place on the basis of merit and performance in the university level Common Entrance Tests. The minimum eligibility required is the completion of Class 12 with Science stream (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics).
There are a number of colleges offering this specialized course. Below table shows some of the top BSc Data Science Colleges in India along with their course fees:
|College Name||Location||Total Fees|
|Navrachana University||Vadodara||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai||INR 2.25 Lakhs|
|NIMAS||Kolkata||INR 1.33 Lakhs|
|KR Mangalam University||Gurgaon||INR 3.09 Lakhs|
|Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies||Faridabad||INR 3.78 Lakhs|
Currently, most of the private universities are offering this course, whose course curriculum is approved by UGC. Major BSc Data Science subjects include Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, Data Visualizations, Python Programming, Operating Systems and others.
In terms of career, this is considered one of the trendiest and most promising courses of 2019 and many students are attracted to this interdisciplinary program.
You will not only learn about Big Data Analytics, but also get to study the related subjects which will enhance your skills and knowledge to become a great Data Scientist.
Average Starting Salary can be expected around INR 5-8 LPA, but after working on various projects and getting ample experience, you can earn as high as INR 16 LPA in reputed companies such as MuSigma, Publicis Sapient, Amazon, Accenture, E&Y, TCS, Cognizant and others.
BSc Data Science Admission Process
Admission to this course depends upon the college. Sri Sri University, AMET University, Jain University among others conduct Common Entrance Test (CET) for their admission process. After this, a Personal Interview also takes place to know the interest and capability of the candidate.
BSc Data Science Eligibility
Basic eligibility to this course is almost same in all the colleges, which is:
- Students must have completed Class 12 with Science stream.
- The subjects should be Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. If a student has studied Computer Science as an additional subject, then it will be treated as an advantage.
- Students must be above 17 years of age at the time of admission.
Colleges such as NSHM Knowledge Campus required at least 60% in Class 12. These minimum criteria may be different in different colleges, but you should have scored more than 50% to pursue BSc Data Science in India.
BSc Data Science Entrance Exams
Most of the admissions to this course take place through scores obtained in the Common Entrance Tests (CETs) but some colleges take admission on the basis of Class 12 marks as well.
Following list shows some of the university level entrance exams required for admission in this Data Science course:
- SSU CET: This exam is conducted by Sri Sri University for admission into various courses, including BSc Data Science course. Check Sri Sri University Admission 2020 to know more details.
- AMET CET: Academy of Maritime Education and Training University (AMET University) conducts this common entrance test. Check AMET Admission 2020 to know more details
- Jain University Entrance Test: Jain University is a private university, situated in Bangalore. Check Jain University Admission 2020 to know more about the admission procedure of BSc Data Science program.
- KR Mangalam Entrance Test: KR Mangalam University is a well-reputed private university situated in Gurgaon. They offer many UG and PG level courses along with this data science course. Check KR Mangalam Admission 2020 for detailed information.
?The exam date will be different for each of these exams, and will mostly occur in either May, June or July 2020.
How to prepare for BSc Data Science Entrance Exams?
- Download the entrance exam syllabus from the university site. The syllabus will not be very vast and will include common science subjects such as Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Some might have an English sector also.
- Search for sample papers and practice as much as you can to prepare well for these exams. Give more attention to the subjects in which you feel you are weak and require more attention.
- Make notes and give proper time to revision as well.
How to get admission in a good BSc Data Science College?
There are around 20 colleges in India that offer this specialized course. Therefore, it is better if you know in which college you want to take admission in beforehand so that you fulfill all it’s admission requirements on time. Check BSc Data Science Colleges for more information about different colleges.
You can know that a college is perfect for you by checking the following points:
- Syllabus, course curriculum and course objectives to get a fair idea about the outcomes and aims of the course.
- Placement Records and Average Salary offered by the respective college.
- Any sort of scholarship or financial aid
Follow these steps to secure a position in a good college:
- Fill and submit the complete application form on time. Forms will be available either online or offline.
- Give your best in the Written round and Interview round.
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents with you at the time of admissions like Birth Certificate, National Identity and other documents required for admission.
- Pay the admission fee on time for a hassle-free process and to avoid any delay in the admission process.
BSc Data Science: What is it About?
- is an interdisciplinary subject that uses the basic concepts of statistics, data analysis, machine learning and related subjects to understand and analyze various problems and phenomena with respect to a large set of data.
- includes various theories, techniques and tools from mathematics, statistics, computer science and information technology.
BSc Data Science is offered with the aim of:
- exposing students to broad areas and subjects of Applied Statistics, Data Mining, Predictive Modelling, Big Data Analytics, Machine Learning, Data Visualization across various sectors such as Business, Marketing, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, Operations, Human Resources, Genomics, Healthcare, Banking etc. using hands-on experience.
- producing agile and skilled professionals to understand, collect, extract, analyze and predict the given set of data to solve the major problems through real-time data analysis.
BSc Data Science Couse Objectives:
- This 3-year course is designed in such a way that graduates can perform and conduct data-driven investigations by managing and visualizing all types of data.
- Students will understand the concept and develop an in-depth understanding of data science and data analytics.
- Teach students the basic techniques and procedures to analyze quantitative and qualitative data to arrive at solutions by identifying the pattern, predict trends and analyze data sets from different sectors
BSc Data Science Course Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelor of Science in Data Science|
|Eligibility||Completed Class 12 with Science from a recognized board|
|Admission Process||Through Common Entrance Test (CET) conducted at University Level.|
|Exam Type||Semester Wise|
|Course Fees||Under 6 Lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5-7 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Cartesian Consulting, Publicis Sapient, Tredence Inc., Wipro Ltd., Oracle, Accenture, MuSigma, IBM, Amazon, TEG Analytics, Deloitte, HCL, GlobalAnalytics, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Data Scientist, Business Analyst, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, Data Architect, Data Mining Engineer, Research Analyst, Business Intelligence Analyst, Analytics Manager and many more|
|Higher Education Opportunities||MSc in Data Analytics, Software Engineering, Statistics, Cyber Security, etc. MBA in Business Analytics, E-Business, Data Analytics|
Why study BSc Data Science?
If you are genuinely interested to study Data Science and its various aspects, then BSc Data Science is a perfect course for you.
Skills and Knowledge:
- This course imparts the skills required to study, analyze and predict solutions across various sectors like manufacturing, healthcare, banking, finance, marketing, business strategies, etc.
- After completion of this course, you will be able to deal with large sets of data and you will become an expert in programming, machine learning, data wrangling, data intuition, software engineering, data visualization, etc.
- Core programming languages include Java, SQL, Python, R, SAS, Scala, Julia, MATLAB, along with the knowledge of Tableau, Hadoop, and other tools.
- As stated earlier also, data science is one of the trendiest jobs across the globe in terms of future scope and career stability.
- Currently, there are more than 2 Lakhs job openings related to this field of study. It is estimated that there will be an increase of at least 40-45% each year in job opportunities in this domain.
- After US, India is next into becoming the analytics hub of the world with over
- The national average salary of a Data Scientist is around INR 8.1 LPA, and with time, it can go upto INR 20 LPA within 5-10 years with enough experience.
- The minimum percentage hike for professionals in data science domain is at least 30-40% and it can go as high as 60-70% in well-reputed companies such as Amazon, Deloitte, Publicis Sapient, Cognizant, and others.
Data Science undergraduate course is offered in the form of BCA Data Science, BSc Data Science and BTech Data Science.
Below table shows, major differences between them:
|Parameters||BCA Data Science||BSc Data Science||B.Tech Data Science|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Computer Applications in Data Science||Bachelor of Science in Data Science||Bachelor of Technology in Data Science|
|Duration||3 years||3 years||4 years|
|Eligibility||Completed Class 12 in any stream, but most of the colleges prefer students from Computer Science background||Completed Class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics||Completed Class 12 with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|Course Overview||This course includes all the aspects of computer applications like software programming, language studies, along with the study and application of data science subjects.||This course is an interdisciplinary course which takes you through subjects of software engineering, machine learning, big data analytics and artificial intelligence.||This is an engineering course that focusses more on the application and technical aspect of software engineering and data science.|
|Course Objectives||The main objective of this course is to enable students to be an expert in fundamental computer application subjects including both software and hardware studies, along with core data science subjects such as Machine Learning, Applied Statistics, Programming, etc.||The main objective of this course is to provide both theoretical and practical knowledge in the field and subfields of data science. The curriculum is based on the basic computer science studies incorporated with advance data science fields and its applications.||The main objective of this course is to provide knowledge in three major areas such as mathematical expertise, technology, hacking skills and business strategy by the use of large data sets.|
|Average Total Fees||Under 3 Lakhs||Under 6 Lakhs||Under 8 Lakhs|
The career options and job prospects remain the same in all these courses since the specialization is same, therefore you can opt any of these courses basis your interest and eligibility to make a career in data science field.
BSc Data Science Colleges
Following table enlists the top BSc Data Science Colleges in India:
|College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|Navrachana University||Vadodara||INR 3 Lakhs|
|Sri Sri University||Cuttack||INR 2.70 Lakhs|
|Symbiosis Skill and Open University||Pune||INR 5.3 Lakhs|
|NSHM- Knowledge Campus||Kolkata||-|
|Academy of Maritime Education and Training (AMET)||Kanathur||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Sri Ramchandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||Chennai||INR 2.25 Lakhs|
|Ganpat University||Mehsana||INR 3.8 Lakhs|
|Techno India University||Kolkata||INR 4 Lakhs|
|Manav Rachna University||Faridabad||INR 3.78 Lakhs|
|KR Mangalam University||Gurgaon||INR 3.09 Lakhs|
|Guru Jambheshwar University||Hisar||INR 1.32 Lakhs|
|NIMAS||Kolkata||INR 1.33 Lakhs|
|More Details: BSc Data Science Colleges in India|
BSc Data Science Syllabus
Data Science is an interrelated field which includes subjects from Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence and Analytics field.
The syllabus for this specialized course is almost the same in all the universities with slight variation in electives, approved by the UGC. Below we have mentioned the major BSc Data Science subjects included in its course curriculum, along with a separate list of elective courses.
Have a look:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Linear Algebra||Probability and Inferential Statistics|
|Basic Statistics||Discrete Mathematics|
|Programming in C||Data Structures and Program Design in C|
|Communication Skill in English||Computer Organization and Architecture|
|Programming in C Lab||Data Warehousing and Multidimensional Modelling|
|Microsoft Excel Lab||Data Structure Lab|
|Programming in R Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Object-Oriented Programming in Java||Machine Learning I|
|Database Management Systems||Cloud Computing|
|Operating Systems||Data Warehousing and Multidimensional Modelling|
|Design and Analysis of Algorithms||Operations Research and Optimization Techniques|
|Database Management Systems Lab||Time Series Analysis|
|Object-Oriented Programming in Java Lab||Machine Learning I Lab|
|Data Warehousing and Multidimensional Modelling Lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Machine Learning II||Elective I|
|Introduction to Artificial Intelligence||Elective II|
|Big Data Analytics||Grand Viva|
|Data Visualizations||Major Project|
|Programming in Python Lab|
|Big Data Lab|
Below table shows the electives subjects which a student can pursue basis his/her interest:
|Data Science Electives|
|Reinforcement Learning||Marketing and Retail Analytics|
|Supply Chain and Logistics Analytics||Financial Analytics|
|HR Analytics||Social Media Analytics|
|Healthcare Analytics||Nature Processing Analytics|
|Software Quality Management||Software Testing|
|Tensorflow for Deep Learning Research||Visualization Techniques- TABLEAU|
Data Science Books and Study Material
There are numerous online sources to study and learn about Data Science. There are multiple books as well.
Below mentioned are some of the best books to be an expert in Data Science course:
|Data Structures and Algorithms in Java||Robert Lafore|
|Machine Learning Yearning||Andrew Ng|
|Blockchain Technology and Data Analytics||Isaac D. Cody|
|Data Analytics Made Accessible||Anil Maheshwari|
|R for Data Science: Import, Tidy, Transform, Visualize, and Model Data||Hadley Wickham and Garrett Grolemund|
|Applied Predictive Modelling: An Overview of Applied Predictive Modelling||Steven Taylor|
|Digital Computer Fundamentals||Thomas L Floyd|
|Discrete Mathematics and its Applications||K. H. Rosen|
|Operating System Concepts||Silberschatz, P.B. Galvin and G. Gagne|
|Data Mining Concepts and Techniques||Jiawei Han and Micheline Kamber|
|Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet||James F.Kurose and Keith W.Ross|
|Artificial Intelligence – A Modern Approach||Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig|
|Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning||Christopher Bishop|
BSc Data Science Jobs and Career Options
Data Science is considered one of the top 50 trendiest jobs in the world. Therefore, today is the right time to pursue this specialized course teaching you various aspects of data collection, data extractions, data analyses, data mining, data visualization, etc across diverse sectors of business, healthcare, logistics, banking and others.
- According to LinkedIn, Data Science is the future of business and e-commerce world.
- You not only can earn a higher salary and get a stable career, but you can also explore and learn different techniques and technologies involved in the process.
- Most of the engineers these days want to learn the basics of data science to learn and apply analysis in different types of data and extract valuable information from it.
- Around 40% increase in jobs have in data science from 2017 to 2019, and it is expected to increase in this rate, creating more than 2 Lakhs job opportunities by the year 2020.
The following table shows some of the major job positions you can get after completing this course.
Have a look below:
|Job Position||Description||Average Salary|
|Data Scientist||A Data Scientist has a major role to play in a Business or solving a problem. Their main role is to provide insightful information and values from a certain set of data after carefully going through the major steps of data science, and suggesting solutions to those problems or doubts.||INR 8.2 LPA|
|Process Analyst||A process Analyst is an important part of the IT team where he/she analyze the business processes and workflows in order to understand the business pattern and make sure that how these can be automated or increased.||INR 4.3 LPA|
|Data Solutions Analyst||Data Solutions Analyst usually maintain client-specific data along with useful reports with respect to company policies and procedures. They gather and collect information from the clients, maintain the data warehouse, follow the automated report production process and provide recommendations in case of any negative outcome or result.||INR 11.51 LPA|
|Business Analyst||A Business Analyst is supposed to analyze the business-related data and provide help in decision making with respect to many new business trends from the technical point of view.||INR 6 LPA|
|Statistical Analyst||A Statistical Analyst is responsible for collecting, reviewing and extracting valuable information from the data which will further help Business Analysts and Data Scientists in the real-time decision making process.||INR 6.02 LPA|
|Web & Social Media Analyst||Web & Social Media Analyst is responsible for the evaluation and analyzing user engagement with the help of various software and data structure tools.||INR 3.3 LPA|
|CRM Analyst||They are responsible for the evaluation of the client-related data provided internally or externally to know their behavior, their pattern and extracting insightful information from it which will help to maintain the relationship with clients by understanding their problem and resolving them on a macro scale.||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Business Intelligence Analyst||BI Analyst is responsible for transforming a large set of data into valuable information that will hold a business value. They analyze the latest trends and help make the business grow in a smarter and in a much efficient way.||INR 5.8 LPA|
|Data Architect||A Data Architect is responsible for everything about the company data. They maintain the solid structural database of the company containing all the necessary information. They create database solutions, evaluate requirements and prepare reports.||INR 19.3 LPA|
|Data Mining Engineer||Data Mining Engineer is responsible for creating and enhancing the statistical and predictive data and models and algorithms to analyze a large set of data.||INR 6.1 LPA|
|Database Administrator||A DB Administrator is responsible for planning, installing, designing, migrating, monitoring the data by using different softwares and tools.||INR 4.97 LPA|
Salary Trend Graph
Check More: BSc Data Science Colleges in India
BSc Data Science Future Scope
Data Science is a promising subject in the field of Computer and Information Science. Many foreign companies and national companies are investing in millions in the IT sector in India.
After US, India is expected to be a specialized market for Data Scientists across the globe. This course is not only valuable in India but across the globe. The National Average Salary for Data Scientist is around INR 11,48,252 and International Average Salary is around USD 113,436 according to Glassdoor, which means you can easily satisfy your need for career growth and stability.
Apart from diverse career options which we have already discussed above, here we shall discuss what can you do after completing your BSc Data Science course.
- Higher Education:
You can go for higher studies in this advanced field to gain expertise and knowledge in various data science field. You can become study a specialization also like data analytics or business analytics as per your career need. You can pursue Master of Science in these specializations:
|MSc Data Analytics||MSc Software Engineering||MSc Computer Science|
|MSc Statistics||MSc Cyber Security||Master of Computer Applications|
If you are interested in pursuing a managerial role in this domain then you can pursue Master of Business Administration (MBA) as well in specializations such as:
- International Opportunities:
US is considered the IT hub of the world, and the scope of Data Science is enormous and growing rapidly. There is a huge need for skillful data scientists across the world. Therefore, after gaining ample experience in various project work, you can be considered for diverse international projects in marketing, healthcare, banking and other areas.
You can be hired for different roles like Team Lead, Project Lead or on a manager position. Major international companies like Amazon, Cognizant, Deloitte, Publicis Sapient, E&Y, among others send skillful professionals to US, Canada, Germany and other countries. After gaining experience in handling projects at a large scale, you can have the opportunity to grow your career in these technologically advanced countries.
BSc Data Science FAQs
Ques. What is BSc Data Science?
Ans. BSc Data Science is a three-year undergraduate course, suitable for those who want to study Big Data Analytics. This interdisciplinary course is suitable for students who wish to make a career as a Data Scientist. Basic eligibility is the completion of Class XII from a recognized board, and admission takes place usually on the basis of merit. Some universities take the Common Entrance Test as well, followed by Group Discussion and/or a Personal Interview.
Check BSc Data Science Admission Process for full details.
Ques. What is the duration of BSc Data Science course?
Ans. This advanced undergraduate course is of 3 years.
Ques. What are some BSc Data Science colleges in India?
Ans. BSc Data Science is offered by colleges such as :
- Navrachana University
- Manav Rachna University
- NSHM Knowledge Campus
- Sri Sri University
- K.R. Mangalam University
- Jain University
Check BSc Data Science Colleges in India for a full list.
Ques. What are the common BSc Data Science subjects?
Ans. Data Science is an interdisciplinary field that includes the study of subjects such as Machine Learning, Computer Science, Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence.
Major BSc Data Science subjects include:
- Programming in C
- Basic Statistics
- Discrete Mathematics
- Data Structures and Program Design in C
- Probability and Inferential Statistics
- Database Management Systems
- Machine Learning
- Cloud Computing
- Big Data Analytics
- Data Visualization
- Programming in R
Ques. What are some BSc Data Science Colleges in Bangalore?
Ans. Jain University and International School of Engineering offer BSc Data Science course in Bangalore, Karnataka.
Check BSc Data Science Colleges to know about the colleges all over India.
Ques. What are the major data science career path in India?
Ans. Data Science opens a great scope in various aspects of data analytics, genome analysis and business analysis. Most of the people think that you can only become a Data Scientist after this course, but you can also become a:
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Statistical Analyst
- Data Architect
- Data Mining Engineer
- Database Administrator
Check More: Career Scope after doing BSc Data Science