BSc Geography or Bachelor in Science in Geography is an undergraduate degree with an emphasis on Geography for 3 years. It is the study of the Earth and its many properties, characteristics, people and phenomena, in addition to the map and geographical image-interpretation.
Check the full list of top BSc Geography Colleges in India.
Candidates who have passed Higher Secondary School Certificate 10+2 securing a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in Science discipline or Arts discipline are eligible to apply for BSc Geography.
Admissions are generally given on the basis of marks scored by the candidate in the previous examination. Some university/college like BHU may ask the candidates to appear for the entrance test.
The total cost of attending the BSc Geography course varies depending on the university you choose to attend, ranging from INR 5,000 to INR 5,00,000.
According to NIRF Ranking survey 2020, the top colleges in India offering BSc Geography course are :
|NIRF College Ranking 2020||Name of Institute||City||Admission Process||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|5||Presidency College||Chennai||Merit-Based||INR 1,262||INR 8,00,000|
|9||Hans Raj College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 16,173||INR 5,50,000|
|17||Madras Christian College||Chennai||Merit-Based||INR 71,240||INR 2,31,200|
|41||Queen Mary’s College||Chennai||Merit-Based||INR 1,532||INR 2,50,000|
|75||Loreto College||Kolkata||Merit-Based||INR 21,713||INR 3,00,000|
In general, geography is considered a science which attempts to explain the world around us and the impact of factors and events both natural and manmade. BSc Geography falls into Earth Sciences which focuses on physical geography. The study of Earth's seasons, climate, atmosphere, soil, streams, landforms and oceans is physical geography that comes under this course.
After completing the course, the candidates can work as Urban Planner, GIS Specialist, Cartographer, Environmental Management, Climatologist, and such. The top recruiters are Planetariums, local government, universities, private companies, and so on.
The average annual salary for BSc Geography candidates stands in the range of INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 and increases with the candidate’s experience and skillsets.
If the candidates want to go for higher studies after completing this course, then they can pursue an MSc Geography after successfully completing BSc Geography.
BSc Geography Admission Process
- Admission to BSc Geography course is done mainly through Merit, but some colleges like BHU may require the candidate to clear university level entrance tests.
- Application forms for admissions are invited generally during the month of May on web portals/newspapers/website of the college/university.
- Reservations are applicable to SC / ST / EWS / OBC NCL / PwD candidates as per Govt. of India rules.
A student seeking admission to BSc programme shall submit the application form along with :
- Proof of birth date
- Higher Secondary School Certificate / 10+2 or equivalent qualification
- Secondary School Certificate
- Gap certificate if applicable.
- Caste Certificate if applicable.
BSc Geography Merit Based Admission
- Step 1: Application forms are available from the college sales office.
- Step 2: Application should be filled with personal details and academic details with required documents and submitted with the application fee.
- Step 3: Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in selection criteria, candidates found suitable for admission will be accepted.
- Step 4: The names of the accepted candidates would be notified on the college site.
BSc Geography Entrance Based Admission
- Step 1: Candidates need to register to the official website by providing their email id, mobile number, and password.
- Step 2: Filling up the online form with personal and academic details and course details.
- Step 3: Upload all the scanned documents like candidate’s Photograph, Signature, Photo Identification, mark sheets, caste certificate, etc.
- Step 4: Admit cards will be issued to the eligible students based on the information provided by candidates.
- Step 5: On the announcement of results, based on the marks obtained by the students and institutes cut off, seats and academic records of the candidate’s seats are allocated.
Check the full list of BSc Entrance Exams in India.
BSc Geography Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates should have passed 10+2 in either Science or Arts or equivalent qualification from a recognized board.
- Minimum aggregate of 50% marks or equivalent grade in 10+2 is required to be eligible for this course.
- Science candidate with Math is preferred, but maths is not a compulsory criterion.
- The age criteria for this course is 17 years of minimum age and maximum age limit is 25 years.
- Candidates who appeared for 10+2 / Diploma and are waiting for their results can apply, provided they pass the course before the date of document verification.
- In the case of reserved category SC / ST / OBC / PH candidates, relaxation of 5% marks or equivalent grade is given as per UGC guidelines.
BSc Geography Entrance Exams
Few institutes offering BSc Geography programmes like BHU, AMU and LPU conduct their own entrance exams for admission to BSc Geography course, to assess the eligibility of the candidate for the pursuance of the course. However, most institutes admit students through their performance in qualifying exams.
Some of the most popular institute level entrance exams for this course are discussed below.
- BHU-UET: Banaras Hindu University conducts this entrance exam for granting admission to all the UG courses offered by the University.
- AMU Entrance Test: This entrance exam is conducted for granting admission to the various courses offered by Aligarh Muslim University. Though this exam generally takes place in offline mode, this time it will take place in online mode due to COVID-19 crisis.
- LPUNEST: Lovely Professional University conducts LPUNEST every year to grant admission to UG, PG and PhD courses offered by the University.
Some of the important dates related to the entrance exams are tabulated in the table below.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Date of Application||Date of Examination||Mode of Examination|
|BHU UET||Banaras Hindu University||Till June 20, 2020||August 16 - 31, 2020||Online|
|AMU Entrance Test||Aligarh Muslim University||Till June 3, 2020||To be notified (Postponed due to COVID-19)||Online|
|LPUNEST||Lovely Professional University||Till July 31, 2020||July 31, 2020||Online|
How to prepare for the BSc Geography Entrance Exams?
- The entrance test is on the basic knowledge of geography and the aptitude test.
- On the basis of previous year papers, layout a study plan which will allow you to cover the syllabus as well as revise efficiently.
- Be thorough with Maths subjects as quantitative questions are asked from Class 10 to Class 12 syllabus.
- Practising sample question papers and model tests certainly offer students an advantage because they are able to learn the exam's style and layout well beforehand.
- Shortcuts should be applied while solving paper as it will give you ample time to solve the paper.
- To improve your general knowledge skills, start reading a newspaper daily.
Check the cutoffs of BHU-UET.
How to Get Admission in Top BSc Geography Colleges?
- To secure a seat in a good college for a BSc Geography, a candidate must have very good marks at the 10+2 level.
- Candidates must score high ranking marks in the entrance exam as well to secure a seat in a good college.
- It is always advised to attempt at least 70% - 80% questions in the entrance exam to secure safe ranks. But, the cutoffs may increase as well. So, try to attempt as many questions as you can.
- Be aware of the negative markings. Don't attempt questions with negative marking until and unless you are 100% sure of the answer.
- Prepare for the entrance exam well in advance and solve mock tests before the test day.
- Look out for the eligibility, cut-offs, selection criteria, admission process, application procedure, and other updates to benefit you for better preparation.
BSc Geography: What is it about?
- Geography is a mixture of social and physical sciences which combines the study of the physical properties of the planet with a focus on societies and how they interact.
- BSc Geography focuses on Physical geography which includes the climate, atmosphere, ecosystems and natural processes of the Earth including tectonic plates, glaciers, erosion, and volcanology.
- It is a three-year undergraduate programme in the domain of Earth Sciences which provides theoretical and practical knowledge.
- It extends basic knowledge of human geography, economic geography, physical geography, maps and scales.
- It involves field trips, providing fieldwork to immerse students in local environments so that lessons learned in class can be implemented.
- Modules may include river topics, ecology, environmental engineering, physical environment, climate change policy, modern city building, political geography and geopolitics, economic geography, coastal and marine ecosystems, environmental hazards, and energy resources.
- The course can be pursued full time/part-time through correspondence.
BSc Geography Course Highlights
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 / Diploma|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based / Entrance Test|
|Average Course Fee||INR 5,000 - INR 5,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 - INR 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Planetariums, Local Government, Universities, Private Companies, the Armed Forces, Environmental Protection Agencies, Environmental Consultancies, Charities, Education Authorities, Information Systems Organizations, etc.|
|Job Positions||Urban Planner, GIS Specialist, Cartographer, Environmental Management, Climatologist, Demographer, Writer or Researcher, Geo Analyst Trainee, National Park Service Ranger, Geography Teacher, and so on.|
Why Study BSc Geography?
- A degree in geography equips a candidate to make a difference around the world, whether to help avoid climate change and natural disasters or improve the quality of life and overpopulation.
- Geography is regarded as one of the most detailed subject fields. In the current scenario, it has one of the highest levels of employ-ability.
- A variety of transferable skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, data processing, analytical programming and team-work can be gained through this course.
- The degree program is structured to provide students with a clear scientific context, specific disciplines related to natural processes, climate patterns, and ecology.
- The training is a perfect way to train for a career with a science or policy organization, to work with a government agency or to work with individuals to improve the natural environment and well being.
- It improves your prospects of highly-paid employment and opens up a wide range of opportunities.
BSc Geography vs BA in Geography
BSc Geography and BA in Geography are almost similar courses except for a few differences. The below-given comparison is given keeping in mind all the important parameters of differences.
|Parameters||BSc Geography||BA in Geography|
|Overview||BSc Geography mainly focuses on physical geography. It involves the study of not only the external features of Earth but also the internal structure of Earth.||BA in Geography will help us understand human geography. It mainly focuses on the external features of the Earth surface. It does not go into the details of the internal structure of Earth.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 5,000 - INR 5,00,000||INR 3,000 - INR 3,00,000|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based / Entrance Test||Merit-Based / Entrance Test|
|Top Colleges||Presidency College, Hans Raj College, Madras Christian College, Queen Mary’s College, Loreto College||Abbas Khan College for Women, Abdul Aziz Ansari Degree College, Bajali College, Abhay Pratap Singh Degree College, Adarsh Mahavidyalaya|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Planetariums, Local Government, Universities, Private Companies, the Armed Forces, Environmental Protection Agencies, Environmental Consultancies, Charities, Education Authorities, Information Systems Organizations, etc.||Research Agencies that focus on Environmental Issues, Population Studies and Rural Development, Teaching at Universities, Colleges, Schools and Coaching Institutes, so on.|
|Job Positions||Urban Planner, GIS Specialist, Cartographer, Environmental Management, Climatologist, Demographer, Writer or Researcher, Geo Analyst Trainee, National Park Service Ranger, Geography Teacher, and so on.||Remote Sensing Specialists, Urban and Regional Planners, Researchers, so on|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 - INR 8,00,000||INR 1,20,000 - INR 10,00,000|
|Further Studies||MSc in Geography||MA in Geography|
Source: College Websites
Also, check the full list of top BA Geography Colleges in India.
BSc Geography Top Colleges
Here is the list of NIRF Ranking of top universities offering BSc Geography for your reference. These colleges show the admission process, location, and average fee charged for a BSc Geography course.
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||City||Admission Process||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|3||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||Entrance Based||INR 4,400||INR 5,00,000|
|5||Jadavpur University||Kolkata||Merit-Based||INR 2,400||INR 6,62,000|
|23||Kerala University||Thiruvananthapuram||Merit-Based||INR 9,000||INR 2,50,000|
|54||Calicut University||Calicut||Merit-Based||INR 39,000||INR 2,00,000|
|55||Banasthali University||Jaipur||Merit-Based||INR 1,17,500||INR 3,60,000|
|78||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||Merit-Based||INR 53,200||INR 4,50,000|
|81||Goa University||North Goa||Merit-Based||INR 13,515||INR 4,20,000|
|83||Periyar University||Salem||Merit-Based||INR 16,100||INR 3,00,000|
Source: College Websites
BSc Geography College Comparison
Below given is the college comparison of the top colleges offering BSc Geography in terms of several parameters like average fee, college overview, admission process, top recruiter, and many others.
|Parameters||Presidency College||Jadavpur University||Hans Raj College|
|Overview||It is a private college founded by the Presidency Group of Institutions.||It is accredited with A Grade by NAAC and offers courses through its Departments and Affiliated Colleges.||It is a Public College affiliated to Delhi University.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College - 5||University - 5||College - 9|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,262||INR 2,400||INR 16,173|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8,00,000||INR 6,62,000||INR 5,50,000|
|Top Companies Visited||SAP, Infosys, Wipro, so on.||Infosys, CG Power and Industrial Solutions, TATA Consultancy Services, Synopsis, HPCL, so on||Bain Capability Network, Boston Consulting Group, United Airlines, DeShaw, so on|
Source: College Websites
BSc Geography Distance Education
Most students enjoy using distance education to do BSc because it allows them the freedom to learn the course at their own speed.
- The course is generally for a duration of a minimum of three years, but in the case of distance education, it can be more.
- A distance education degree is a valid degree, and it is also offered for working professionals.
- The course is offered to candidates who have cleared 10+2 in any stream with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks.
- Admission will be based on the performance of candidates in the qualifying exam.
- Course Material is available online or offline.
List of few open university offering BSc Geography are:
|Name of the University||Location||Admission Procedure||Duration||Average Course Fees|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||Madurai||Merit-Based||2 years||INR 5,000|
|Kalinga University||Raipur||Merit-Based||2 years||INR 61,000|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||Merit-Based||2 years||INR 40,000|
|Jaipur National University||Jaipur||Merit-Based||2 years||INR 14,717|
BSc Geography Syllabus
BSc Geography is divided into six semesters. Modules may include River topics, Ecology, Environmental Engineering, Physical Environment, Climate Change Policy, Modern City Building, Political Geography and Geopolitics, Economic Geography, Coastal and Marine Ecosystems, Environmental Hazards, and Energy Resources. Here is a semester wise syllabus of the course :
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Geography of India I||Physical Geography I|
|Geomorphology||Human Geography I|
|Cartographic Techniques (Practical)||Thematic Cartography (Practical)|
|Maps and scales (Practical)||Representation of Physical Features (Practical)|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Physical Geography II||Human Geography II|
|Representation of Climate Data (Practical)||Maps projections (Practical)|
|Statistical Methods in Geography (Practical)||Economic Geography|
|Geography of India II||Field Work and Research Methodology (Practical)|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Regional Planning and Development||Introduction to Remote Sensing, Hours GIS, and Quantitative Methods|
|Distribution Maps and Diagrams (Practical)||Prologue to Remote Sensing and Field Survey Report (Practical)|
|Remote Sensing and GIS (Practical)||Evolution of Geographical Thoughts|
|----||Disaster Management (Project)|
BSc Geography Job Profiles
- Many of the graduates are recruited under research institutes, urban planning institutions, cartography centres, content writing (geological), environmental agencies, zoos & national parks.
- Graduates join the workforce as government employees, supplying useful research data to survey teams, urban planning departments, and others.
- Many students work with private strategy and consulting companies by offering useful insight into their specific activities.
- Many administrative positions will be open to graduates in the financial and industrial sectors too.
Here are some job positions available after graduating in BSc Geography :
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Urban Planner||Meet public officials, developers and the general public about development plans and land use. Administer state plans or policies that affect land use. Data from market research, censuses, and economic and environmental studies are collected and analysed.||INR 5,00,000|
|GIS Specialist||Creating spatial data sets, visualization and database maintenance. But GIS analysts often regularly write reports, conduct analysis and have a professional opinion. As a GIS analyst, you 're needed for spatial data management in almost every discipline.||INR 2,50,000|
|Cartographer||Cartographers are concerned with all aspects (scientific, technical, and artistic) of map-making. They are responsible for: analysis, compile, store, retrieve, analyze and manipulate data. Map architecture.||INR 3,00,000|
|Environmental Manager||Environmental managers are responsible for monitoring the environmental performance of private and public sector organizations and developing, implementing and monitoring sustainable development environmental strategies.||INR 4,50,000|
|Climatologist||As a climate scientist, you are researching the patterns of weather and the mechanisms that cause them. To research patterns, identify the causes, and make forecasts, you use long-term meteorological data such as temperature, wind speed, and precipitation.||INR 5,70,000|
|Demographer||The demographers are researching population composition, distribution, and patterns. They also make observations about the causes and effects of changes in population, such as rises in birth rates or immigration. Demographers gather statistical data, analyze data to detect any patterns, and then forecast trends to come.||INR 6,80,000|
|Researcher||Researchers are responsible for communicating their research, collaborating with others where necessary, and transferring and exploiting knowledge for the benefit of your employer, the economy, and the whole society. Researchers have a duty to perform their work in a truthful and ethical manner.||INR 6,00,000|
|Geo Analyst||Geospatial analysts examine a variety of geographical data including aerial photographs, GIS data, cartographic records (including old maps, new maps, specialist maps such as soil and geological maps), satellite data, soil and other environmental samples, and any academic literature.||INR 12,00,000|
|National Park Service Ranger||This is the duty of park rangers to protect our state and national parks; the natural resources, habitats and wildlife within them; and the people who visit. Park rangers may act as law enforcement agents, environmental experts, historians or a mix of the three.||INR 6,00,000|
BSc Geography Future Scope
- After completion of BSc Geography, if the candidate wishes to pursue further studies then there are various postgraduate degree options available such as Masters in Science in Geography, PG Diploma or PG Certificate courses in geography, MBA, etc.
- Admissions in some above-mentioned courses will be done through the merit of marks scored in BSc Geography degree or entrance exam such as CAT / GATE / University level exam.
- Candidates can later pursue PhD in Geography provided they are interested in research and hold an exceptional academic record and qualify national level entrance tests such as UGC NET / UGC CSIR NET which makes them eligible for the post of Lecturer in universities/colleges.
- The combination of transferable skills including problem-solving and critical thinking, geography graduates are seen as employable.
- Geography graduates are also likely to take up graduate positions that may seem more loosely linked to the topic in business, finance, and human resources, and some opt for marketing, public relations, and sales.
- Some students go on to serve as urban designers, cartographers, surveyors, environmental consultants and activists, travel agents, emergency managers, meteorologists and landscape architects.
- Some graduates find jobs for non-governmental organizations in the public sector, such as some working in sustainability, poverty and climate change, while others are seeking careers in journalism, local government, civil service and utility companies.
BSc Geography FAQs
Ques. What is the eligibility to pursue BSc Geography?
Ans. Candidates who have passed Higher Secondary School Certificate 10+2 securing a minimum aggregate of 50% marks in Science or Arts discipline are eligible to apply for BSc Geography. Candidates who have completed 10+2 in Science / Math subjects are preferred.
Ques. Is qualifying an entrance test compulsory for joining this course?
Ans. No, general admission to the BSc course is performed on a merit basis. Nevertheless, some colleges and universities do administer BSc entrance exams.
Ques. What is taught in BSc Geography?
Ans. BSc Geography involves the study of the Earth and its many properties, characteristics, people and phenomena, in addition to the map and geographical image-interpretation. It falls into Earth Sciences which focuses on physical geography. It is the study of Earth's seasons, climate, atmosphere, soil, streams, landforms and oceans are physical geography.
Ques. What is the duration of BSc Geography?
Ans. The course duration for BSc Geography is 3 years which is divided into 6 semesters.
Ques. What is the difference between BA & BSc Geography?
Ans. BSc degree is targeted at those students with academic backgrounds who have an interest in geographical aspects of the physical and natural sciences. A BA degree is designed for those students with social sciences and humanities backgrounds who are interested in the subject's physical, financial, economic, cultural, and historical aspects.
Ques. Is fieldwork required to complete the course?
Ans. The course provides theoretical and practical knowledge. It is an essential part of the course to immerse students in local environments so that lessons learned in class can be implemented.
Ques. Is it necessary to pursue an MSc after BSc?
Ans. It is not necessary to pursue an MSc after BSc. But the scope for Masters is available in the subject. It is for the candidates who would opt for a higher degree that encapsulates a broader spectrum of expertise, visibility, and experience will have a better chance of achieving their objectives.
Ques. Why should one pursue a BSc Geography?
Ans. If a candidate has an interest in physical geography and wants to pursue a career in conservation, sustainability, and geoscience, town and transport planning, international aid and development, tourism, ecology, and environment, cartographer and GIS consultancy and so on.
Ques. Is it compulsory to study Science in 10+2 to pursue BSc?
Ans. Eligibility for admission to BSc varies with the institution. Although it is mandatory for the student to have studied Maths / Science subjects in 10 + 2 for some colleges, some other colleges have no such rule in this regard.