B.Sc. in Renewable Energy is a 3-year undergraduate course, the minimum eligibility for admission to which is the successful completion of the 10+2 level of education.
The average tuition fee charged in India for the course ranges between INR 90,000 and 2.3 lacs.
Admissions to the course is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, followed by a round of counselling.
Such graduates are hired in capacities such as:
- Energy Engineer
- Renewable Energy Engineers
- Green Engineering Manager
- Renewable Energy Policy & Planning Manager
- Sustainable Energy Technologist
- Industrial Ecologist
- Environmental Manager
- Environmental Engineer
- Green Builder etc.
Popular hiring industries for such graduates include:
- Educational Institutes
- Space Research Institutes
- Health Care Providers
- Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry
- Chemical Industry
- Environmental Management and Conservation
- Research Firms
- Testing Laboratories.
The average annual salary offered to such graduates ranges between INR 2 and 10 Lakhs, varying with the candidate’s experience and skillset.
Top Colleges for Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] (Renewable Energy)
B.Sc. in Renewable Energy: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Science subjects|
|Admission Process||Based on counselling after qualification of entrance test|
|Course Fee||INR 90,000 to 2.3 Lakhs for 3 years|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 10 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Educational Institutes, Space Research Institutes, Health Care Providers, Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry, Chemical Industry, Environmental Management and Conservation, Research Firms, Testing Laboratories, etc.|
|Job Positions||Energy Engineer, Renewable energy engineers, Green Engineering Manager, Renewable Energy Policy & Planning Manager, Sustainable Energy Technologist, Industrial Ecologist, Environmental Manager, Environmental Engineer, Green Builder, and such.|
B.Sc. in Renewable Energy: What is it About?
The course acquires relevance in the light of factors such as:
- India’ s fast-increasing demand for energy.
- constant need and pressure to reduce emissions from fossil fuels.
- need to rely more on cleaner technologies and renewable sources of energy.
The course offers to eligible candidates:
- vocational training in the areas of renewable, clean energy, and energy management.
- advanced understanding of the effect of human activities on the environment.
- lessons in the socio-economic and business issues influencing delivery of the technology.
Major concepts covered in the course’s syllabus include:
- energy conservation and energy management.
- manufacturing and promotion of renewable energy.
- energy conservation systems.
- research training in development of technologically and economically viable renewable energy systems.
- energy-related issues of national, regional, and global importance.
Top Institutes offering B.Sc. in Renewable Energy
Listed here are the 2 top institutes offering the course in the country, with the corresponding locations of, and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Fees|
|Teams Global Village Academy||Thrissur||INR 1.30 Lakhs (course)|
|Pune University||Pune||INR 1.43 Lakhs (course)|
Eligibility for B.Sc. Renewable Energy
Listed below are the minimum criteria of eligibility that interested candidates need to fulfil in order to apply for the course.
- 10+2 education completed in the Science stream from a recognized educational Board.
- Physics, Chemistry, Math as the main subjects of study at the 10+2 level.
- A minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
B.Sc. in Renewable Energy: Admission Process
Most institutes offering the course admit students based on performance in a relevant entrance test. Admission process generally varies across colleges.
A few institutes also provide direct admission based on the candidate’s performance at the 10+2 level.
B.Sc. in Renewable Energy: Syllabus and Course Description
A year-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated here.
|Mechanics and Heat & Thermodynamics||Algebra and Geometry|
|Emerging Physics and Electricity & Magnetism||Calculus|
|Physical & Inorganic Chemistry||Fundamentals of Energy Systems|
|Organic & Inorganic Chemistry||Energy Conversion System|
|Mathematical Methods in Physics||Thermo-chemical Conversion Of Biomass|
|Electronics / Instrumentation||Solar Thermal Energy|
|Physical Chemistry||Wind Energy - 1|
|Organic Chemistry||Energy Storage System - 1|
|Renewable Energy||Other Renewable Energy sources - 1|
|Solar Photovoltaic Energy Conversion – 1||Energy Efficiency in Building & ECBC|
|Bio-Energy – 1 (Biochemical Conversion Systems)||Energy Management|
|Physics||Solar Thermal Energy - 2|
|Oscillations, Waves and Sound||Wind Energy - 2|
|Optics||Energy Storage System - 2|
|Inorganic Chemistry||Other Renewable Energy Sources - 2|
|Analytical Chemistry||Project Management|
|Solar Photovoltaic Energy Conversion - 2||Energy & Environment|
B.Sc. in Renewable Energy: Career Prospects
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has set up 4 specialized centers:
- solar energy
- wind energy
to focus on, and to promote better and cleaner technologies. Institutes concerning each department are:
- Solar Energy Centre (SEC)
- Centre for Wind Energy Technology (C-WET), Chennai
- Sardar Swaran Singh National Institute of Renewable Energy (SSS-NIRE)
- Kapurthala Punjab
- Alternate Hydro Energy Centre (AHEC), IIT Roorkee.
The course has been designed to build qualified scientific and technical manpower in the field of renewable energy, energy conservation, and energy management.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy
- Bureau of Energy Efficiency
- State Energy Development Agencies
- United Nation’s energy programs which involve renewable energy and energy efficiency
- R&D, manufacturing industries.
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency
- National Action Plan on Climate Change.
Such graduates can find lucrative employment opportunities in areas concerned with:
- photo voltaic (PV) cells.
- solar panels
- power distribution
- PV cell manufacturing
- wind turbines
- material management and procurement.
- energy research wings.
Energy potential varies across Indian States, such as:
- hydel energy in Uttarakhand.
- biomass and agriculture waste-based energy in Punjab.
- wind energy in coastal States.
Some such examples are:
- The Alternate Hydro Energy Centre at Roorkee works for the development of hydro energy in the hilly States of the country.
- An autonomous institution in Punjab, Sardar Swaran Singh National Institute of Renewable Energy (SSS-NIRE), is developing energy by converting rice husk to bio-waste.
- Tamil Nadu-based Centre for Wind Energy Technology (C-WET), an autonomous institution under the Government of India, is developing concepts and researches in the area of wind energy.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to successful graduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay Scale in INR|
An Energy Engineer is involved with the production of energy through natural resources, such as the extraction of oil and gas, as well as from renewable or sustainable sources of energy, including biofuels, hydro, wind and solar power. Energy engineers are focused on finding efficient, clean and innovative ways to supply energy.
They work in a variety of roles including designing and testing machinery, developing ways of improving existing processes, and converting, transmitting and supplying useful energy to meet our needs for electricity. Also, they research and develop ways to generate new energy, reduce emissions from fossil fuels, and minimise environmental damage.
|Renewable Energy Engineers||
Renewable Energy Engineers are part of the growing sector of green jobs that involve environmentally conscious production. These individuals maximize the energy potential of clean energy sources including wind, solar, geothermal and hydropower.
Renewable Energy Engineers monitor and develop alternative energy outputs. They may pursue different careers paths such as consultants and researchers. Similar to other engineering fields, Renewable Energy Engineers must have an aptitude for math and science.
They need to be able to apply these principles to solving problems and communicating their proposals effectively. Renewable Energy Engineers may alternate time between the office and a worksite. On the job, they may interact with other professionals including equipment installers and construction workers.
|Green Engineering Manager||They are responsible for the retro-commissioning of existing buildings, conducting energy audits, and peer reviews, building mechanical and electrical design documents.||9,46,711|
|Renewable Energy Policy & Planning Manager||They are responsible for policy development and implementation, and reporting and research. They build teams, and lead and manage talented and motivated teams of analysts working in high profile business areas.||2,92,705|
|Sustainable Energy Technologist||
A Sustainable Energy Technologist is a broad term for a career that encompasses any technical aspect of work in any of the multitude of sustainable energy fields, which include wind power, solar power, hydropower, geothermal, and bioenergy.
As green technology becomes more commercially viable, an increasing number of both professional and skilled workers are needed to sell, manufacture, design, construct, install, and maintain the spectrum of equipment involved in each type of sustainable energy at every stage.
Sustainable Energy Technologists also perform structural audits for energy efficiency and conservation, ensure regulatory compliance and understand the basic economic, environmental and social impact of energy systems through an understanding of energy production, delivery and consumption, and waste disposal.
|Industrial Ecologist||These ecologists help industrial companies perform their operations with limited impact on the environment. Most positions require at least a Bachelor's degree in a related field of science.||3,90,970|
|Environmental Manager||Environmental managers, also known as Sustainability Managers, are responsible for overseeing the environmental performance of private, public and voluntary sector organizations. They also create, implement, and monitor environmental strategies to promote sustainable development.||3,52,516|
|Environmental Engineer||With a Bachelor's degree in environmental engineering or a related field of engineering, these professionals find solutions to a variety of environmental problems.||4,20,659|
Green Builders specialize in the use of materials and technologies that ensure a well-built structure with a reduced impact on the environment. Green building encompasses a number of careers, including Architect, Engineer, and Interior Designer, but it is typically the role of the Construction Manager to choose materials and collaborate with many different workers to ensure that the job is completed correctly.
Good communication skills are essential, because Green Builders work closely with many industry professionals, like tradesmen, architects, building inspectors, and civil engineers. Green builders may need to manage multiple priorities if they are leading several projects concurrently. Much of their time is spent on construction sites.
Green builders may put in overtime hours to ensure deadlines are met, and because they lead projects, they may be needed to be on-call to handle problems as they come up.