BTech in Biomedical Engineering is a 4-year duration bachelor's degree program that focuses on including engineering practices within the medical world.
The course has vast scope for candidates in the coming future. Besides, there are numerous colleges, universities, and institutions which have been organizing the course program for the candidates.
The BTech Biomedical Engineering Syllabus includes topics like Matrices, Calculus, Differential Equations, Laser and Fiber Optics etc.
B.Tech Course Details:
Students who have passed Class 12 in Science stream from a recognized board are eligible to apply for admission to the BE Biomedical Engineering course. Almost all the top engineering institutes in the country admit students on the basis of entrance examinations like JEE Main and JEE Advanced. There is also a round of counseling held after qualifying the entrance examinations.
Get complete information about all the BTech Course.
There are a large number of government and private colleges/ universities that offer this course. The average course fees for the program ranges between INR 4,00,000 and 10,00,000.
BTech Biomedical Engineering degree holders will be able to get hired in public and private organizations in positions like Biomedical Engineer, Clinical Researcher, Lecturer/ Professor, Content Developer, Research Scientist etc.
They usually get employment in areas like Hospitals, Medical Industry, Laboratories etc.
Read More: How to Become a Biomedical Engineer
The average placement package that can be expected by fresh graduates of BTech Biomedical Engineering usually ranges between INR 5,00,000 and 12,00,000.
After completion of BTech Software Engineering course, one can opt to enroll in MTech Biomedical Engineering, MBA or PGDM, Law programs, Govt. jobs etc. Also check Top MTech colleges in India.
If the student wants to do higher studies then MTech, MS and MBA are the popular destinations. MTech helps students to have a good career in the academic field. Learn More: All About BTech
Highlights for BTech Biomedical Engineering program are provided in the table given below:
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Technology in Biomedical Engineering|
|Eligibility||Passed Class 12 or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.|
|Admission Process||Entrance/ Merit-Based|
|Average Fees||INR 4,00,000 - 10,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000 - 12,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Wipro Medicals, L&T etc.|
|Job Positions||Scientists, Chemicals or Medical Researcher, Lecturer/ Professor, Content Developer etc.|
Information and details about the BTech Biomedical Engineering program are as follows.
- It incorporates the designing and technicality of engineering for a better health maintaining analytics, tracking and treatment.
- It is an eight-semester program divided into four sequential years. The job roles associated with the courses are scientist, medical researcher, content developer.
- This course implements the mixture of expertise in medical science and engineering. Hence, it tends to bridge the two fields.
- It primarily utilizes physical science concepts to comprehend biological entities.
- The course involves application of technology and problem solving ability in the healthcare and medical industry for its advancements.
- BTech in BME is a blend of engineering field with the medical field that certainly has a vast scope in the coming future.
- It is the most widely applied because it tends to foster development of engineering solutions to both biological and clinical based fields.
- The focus is to develop innovative methods using approaches in biology, implants, processes so as to help in the diagnosis & prevention of numerous diseases.
Some of the reasons to pursue this course are as follows.
Why Study BTech Biomedical Engineering?
- Reputed profession: Biomedical Engineering is a high demand field where skilled graduates are able to find open job positions immediately in the Medical sector. It is one of the oldest and most reputable engineering divisions. Any student with the passion to excel in the field will find success soon.
- High pay: Average packages for BTech Biomedical Engineering graduates are on the higher side for both private and public organizations. This course is a mixture of design and problem-solving skills that come from engineering and expertise of medical and biological sciences for a revolution in the medical industry. Given the scale of work, the pay is also on the higher side.
- Career opportunities: A Biomedical Engineer is able to pursue a diverse array of career opportunities. There is no limit to educational programs one can choose. From law, management to competitive examinations to get employed in Government organizations, the sky's the limit.
- On completion of this program, students will be able to get handsome salary packages ranging between INR 5,00,000 and 12,00,000 depending on candidate’s expertise in the field.
- Candidates can further pursue PG courses such as MTech, Master of Engineering courses after completing this course.
Future benefits of Biomedical Engineers
According to an analytics project related to biomedical engineering can extend up to 7% in the coming years. There is an increase in a career opportunity in the field of Biomedical Engineering because of the evolution of advanced technologies and new improved medical tools. Higher demand for new medical procedures like artificial stomach, replacement to some bones part in humans and other increases gives exposure to more working and career growth.
What is the BTech Biomedical Engineering Admission Process?
The most popular engineering entrance exams in the country are JEE Main and JEE Advanced, which are mandatory for admission into primarily public universities. Private institutes also conduct their own examinations or rely on the national/ state level entrance exams.
The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Step1- Registration: In this step, students need to create an account by entering basic details like email-id, phone number etc.
- Step2- Application Form: Fill the application form with all necessary details. Care must be taken to ensure all details are accurate and correct.
- Step3- Uploading of documents: Scan and upload all requisite documents like mark sheets, photograph and signature. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Step4- Payment of Application Fees: Candidates have to pay the application fees either online or offline.
- Step5 - Downloading of admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Step6 - Entrance Exam: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Step7 - Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks of the exam day. If a candidate is successful in qualifying the entrance examinations, they can move on to the next round.
- Step8 - Counseling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student can now take admission in the BTech Biomedical Engineering course.
What is the BTech Biomedical Engineering Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for BTech Biomedical Engineering aspirants is not complicated and is as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from institute to institute.
- Admission to the BTech Biomedical Engineering in most colleges and universities is done based on the applicant’s score in a common engineering entrance.
- Candidates required eligibility for this course is to pass 10+2 in a Science stream from a recognized Board or University.
- Some entrance exams require candidates to have min 75% in 12th.
- The most popular entrance exams used for admission to BTech Biomedical Engineering include JEE Main & Advanced, WBJEE, IMU CET, SRMJEEE and MET etc.
Which are the popular BTech Biomedical Engineering Entrance Exams?
There are a large number of national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission into the BTech Biomedical Engineering course.
Some of the popular BTech Biomedical Engineering entrance exams are as follows:
|Exam name||Registration Date||Date of exam|
|JEE MAIN||December 15, 2022 – January 12, 2023 (Phase 1)
February 7, 2023 – March 7, 2023 (9 PM) (Phase 2)
Phase 1: January 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 2023
|JEE ADVANCED||April 30, 2023 – May 04, 2023||June 04, 2023
Paper 1: 09:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Paper 2: 02:30 PM – 05:30 PM
|WBJEE||December 23, 2022 (OUT) – January 8, 2023 (Tentative)||April 30, 2023|
|MHT CET||February 10, 2023 – May 15, 2023 (Tentative)||June 15, 2023 to June 20, 2023 (Tentative)|
|BITSAT||2nd week of February 2023 – 2nd week of May 2023||3rd week of June 2023|
How to Prepare for BTech Biomedical Engineering entrance examinations?
Candidates preparing for any of the above-mentioned entrance examinations are advised to take note of the preparation tips given below:
- Be thorough with the syllabus. Most Engineering Entrances cover the subjects of Chemistry, Maths, and Physics. Candidates seeking a good score are advised to study according to the topics to efficiently keep track of their progress and manage time properly.
- Decide on Exam Preparation material early, and stick to the decided Textbooks/ Prep Material throughout their study. This will help the student avoid confusion, especially towards the end.
- Practice with Previous Year’s Papers. This is the best way to become completely familiar with both the content and format of the examination. Practicing will also improve the student’s speed in completing the tougher sections. It will highlight the areas that require additional focus and preparation.
How to get admission in a good BTech Biomedical Engineering college?
To secure admission into a top-ranked BTech Biomedical Engineering college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- Be aware of the types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions asked in different entrance exams. Some papers are comparatively easier to attempt than the others. This will help in better preparation.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling, going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Revision of all basic concepts must be done.
- Some papers have an English section and an Aptitude section. Preparation for these sections can be by practicing past papers.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. Examination application dates, exam dates etc. are changed and advertised in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of any such news.
- Take a look at the daily news and affairs of the world regularly. Keeping up to date with the news will help in preparation for the exam and counseling round but also act as a break from studying.
What is the Syllabus of BTech Biomedical Engineering?
The subjects taught for the BTech Biomedical Engineering program are almost similar in most of the engineering colleges. The syllabus for the entire BTech Biomedical Engineering course is as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Engineering Chemistry 1||Engineering Mechanics|
|Basics of Biomedical Engineering||Thermodynamics|
|Mathematics 1||Physical Chemistry|
|Engineering Mechanics||Mathematics 2|
|Engineering Physics 1||Engineering Physics 2|
|Basic of Biomedical Engineering||Material Sciences|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Biomedical Process in Industries||Biofluids and Dynamics|
|Bio Technology||Human Physiology and Anatomy|
|Electric Circuits||Electronics Circuits|
|Open Elective||Radiological Equipment and Principles|
|Statistical Methods||Open Elective|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Applications of Microprocessor||Biomedical Expert System|
|Biomechanics||Diagnostic and Therapeutic Equipment|
|Instrumentation of Medical||Biomedical Embedded Systems|
|Open Elective||Biomedical Signal Processing|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Open Elective II||Open Elective IV|
|Open Elective III||Open Elective V|
|Hospital Safety and Management||Practical Paper|
|Project||Biomedical processing Technology|
Which are the Top BTech Biomedical Engineering Colleges?
The table below shows the top BTech Biomedical Engineering colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|VIT Vellore||VITEEE||INR 1,76,000|
|NIT, Rourkela||JEE Main||INR 1,78,000|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala||JEE Main||INR 3,24,800|
|SRM Engineering College, Kanchipuram||JEE Main||INR 2,60,000|
|MIT, Udupi||MET||INR 3,35,000|
|Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai||SA EEE||INR 1,75,000|
|JNTU Hyderabad||TS EAMCET||INR 12,500|
|NIT Raipur||JEE Main||INR 1,38,000|
|Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, Coimbatore||KEE||INR 1,88,500|
|BVDU, Pune||BVP CET||INR 1,20,000|
BTech Biomedical Engineering College Comparison
The table given below depicts the comparison made among the three top BTech Biomedical Engineering colleges in India.
|Parameter||VIT Vellore||NIT Rourkela||Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala|
|Objective||VIT University is considered the best technical university in India. This deemed university offers undergraduate, postgraduate, integrated and research programs in the fields of Engineering, Technology, Applied Sciences, and Management.||NIT Rourkela has been ranked 16th in NIRF 2019 Rankings among engineering colleges in India. The Institute offers 2 undergraduate, 3 postgraduate courses in the field management and technology.||Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology has been accredited with grade’ A+’ by NAAC and has been ranked 2nd among 13 Indian Private Institutions by THE Asia. This deemed institute offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs.|
|Average Fee||INR 1,76,000||INR 1,78,000||INR 3,24,800|
|Average Salary||INR 6,05,000||INR 9,03,000||INR 8,60,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Medical companies, Hospitals, Instrument Manufacturers, Diagnostic centers, Installation Units etc.||Medical companies, Hospitals, Instrument Manufacturers, Diagnostic centers, Installation Units etc.||Medical companies, Hospitals, Instrument Manufacturers, Diagnostic centers, Installation Units etc.|
BTech Biomedical Engineering Vs BTech Biotechnology
The course comparison between BTech Biomedical Engineering and BTech Biotechnology is as follows. Also check out the top BTech Biotechnology Colleges in India.
|Parameters||BTech Biomedical Engineering||BTech Biotechnology|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Technology in Biomedical Engineering||Bachelor of Technology in Biotechnology|
|Objective||The purpose of this course is to teach theory-based understandings of advanced technology and creativity of some new technical products||The purpose of BTech is to teach the candidates the idea behind working on technical products and bring changes in it.|
|Approach||Focuses on Theory||Focuses on Technicality|
|Average Fees||INR 4,00,000 to 10,00,000||INR 2,80,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top Job Options||Research Scientist, Lecturer, Physician, Technical Writer, Biomedical Engineer etc.||Maintenance Engineer, Service Engineer, Export & Import Specialist, Professor/Associate Professor, Executive, Biotechnology Expert, Application Scientist etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000 - 12,00,000||INR 5,00,000 - 8,00,000|
What are Job Prospects and Career Options after BTech Biomedical Engineering?
- Biomedical Engineers can get into Government and Private Enterprises such as Medical Companies, Hospitals, Instrument Manufacturers, Diagnostic centers, Installation Units etc.
- There are ample job opportunities for BTech Biomedical Engineering degree holders in Government as well as Private sector.
Some of the most common job profiles that a BTech Biomedical Engineering student can opt for along with job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Biomedical Engineer||As a Biomedical Engineer, one needs to apply engineering practices for designing healthcare devices and equipment. These devices help in the diagnosis and treatment of distinct medical conditions.||INR 3,70,000|
|Professor/Teacher||The job of a Professor or Teacher is to teach students everything about a particular subject.||INR 8,75,000|
|Content Developer||The job of a Content Developer is to create content, articles, and blogs based on the healthcare and medicine industry.||INR 4,32,000|
|Clinical Researcher||As a Clinical Researcher, candidates can work as a professional within laboratories to perform experiments and research in the biomedical field.||INR 4,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes of BTech Biomedical Engineering?
BTech Biomedical Engineering degree holders can prefer to do jobs on completion of this program or can go for higher studies. The most popular choices of education on completion of a BTech Biomedical Engineering degree are as follows.
MTech: If one wishes to pursue studies in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a MTech Biomedical Engineering. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a BE or BTech in Biomedical Engineering. This is one of the most popular masters engineering programs and admissions are highly competitive.
Check out the Top MTech Biomedical Engineering Colleges in India.
MBA: A large number of engineering graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test. Having a BTech degree together with an MBA in a specialization of choice is highly advantageous and many organizations actively search for such candidates.
Check out top MBA Colleges and PGDM Colleges in India.
Competitive examinations: Another route that graduates can opt to go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
BTech Biomedical Engineering FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to the BTech Biomedical Engineering program are as follows:
Ques. What is BTech in Biomedical Engineering?
Ques. What are the higher studies options that a student gets after a BTech Biomedical Engineering course?
Ques. What are the subjects covered within the course?
Ques. What are the subdivisions of Biomedical Engineering?
Ques. Do I need to give JEE for BTech Biomedical Engineering course?
Ques. What are the Job opportunities that a student gets after completing this course?
Ques. Which topics of Mathematics do I need to study In Biomedical Engineering?
Ques. Which Entrance Exam Should I give to Pursue BTech in Biomedical Engineering?
Ques. What is the Salary of Biomedical Engineers in India?
Ques. Is Biomedical Engineering and Biotechnology the same?