B.Tech Chemical Science and Technology is an undergraduate course which is held for a duration of 4 years. The course is divided into 8 semesters throughout the 4 years. This engineering course deals with petrochemicals, biochemicals, thermodynamics, chemical kinetics and much more.
The minimum eligibility for B.Tech chemical science and technology is that the aspirant should have passed 10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The admissions to the course is based on entrance exams like JEE, JEE Advanced, BITSAT etc.
There are many other private and government colleges which offer B.Tech/BE in Chemical Science and Technology and charge an average fees of INR 4 – 6 LPA.
The job profiles available are chemical engineer, research scientist etc. with an average salary of INR 15,000 – 25,000.
There are many options after BTech like MTech or MBA Course. Students who prefer to further their studies related to engineering may continue with MTech. MBA is a prudent option for BTech students who want to enter the job market with high salaries.
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Undergraduate (UG)|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Chemical Science and Technology|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam Based|
|Average course fees||INR 4 – 6 LPA|
|Average annual Salary||INR 3 – 5 LPA|
|Top recruiting companies||ONGC, Coal India Ltd, Piramal Healthcare Ltd, Pfizer Inc, SAIL, Bharat Petroleum etc.|
|Job Positions||Chemical Engineer, Junior engineer, Research Scientist, Maintenance engineer, nuclear engineer, biomedical engineer etc.|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: What is it About?
B.Tech Chemical Science and Technology is an engineering course held for a duration of 4 years. This course trains a student in the field of chemical science like biotechnology, nano materials, chemical kinetics, plan design etc. The course is a combination of theory subjects and practical as well.
BTech Chemical Science and Technology also provides a window for students wanting to opt for higher studies such as MTech or even PhD and research.
Why Study BTech Chemical Science and Technology?
- The course is an reputed engineering course and is an ever growing field of engineering.
- Scope for an BTech holder in Chemical science and technology is immense and huge employment opportunities are available.
- Due to widespread industry which employs graduates in this course like oil & petroleum industry, food industry, textiles industry, cement industry, healthcare industry, Pharmaceuticals and many more.
- The opportunity to study further and get deeper into the area of chemical science and technology is also available for those who like the subject. Furthermore research and PhD can also be done on it.
See more: BTech Chemical Science and Technology Career Options and Jobs
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Admission Process
The admission process for B.Tech Chemical Science and Technology is mainly done through entrance exams. These exams are conducted on national level like JEE, BITSAT etc. and on state level as well like KCET, WBJEE etc. Few private institutes in India conduct their own entrance exams as well.
The step-by-step exam process is as follows:
- Registration: Registering for the entrance exam by visiting the website of the exam is the first step to do. Fill the details in the application form and upload documents asked such as photographs, signatures etc.
- Application fee: Pay the application fee for the exam through the payment mode available. Most widely accepted payment method is bank transfer. UPI is also accepted by a few authorities.
- Download Admit Card: The admit card will be available after the completion of the above steps. You should download it once available for future reference. The allotted test centre will also be mentioned on it.
- Examination: Appear for the exam at the allotted centre and give your best. Utilise time properly and try to score as much as possible.
- Results: The results will be announced which the student needs to check along with the colleges accepting their score.
- Counselling: The counselling rounds will be held soon after results are announced where documents will be verified and candidates will be short-listed. The short-listed candidates will be selected and given a seat for the course.
|BE/B.Tech in Delhi-NCR||BE/B.Tech in Maharashtra||BE/B.Tech in Chennai||BE/B.Tech in Uttar Pradesh||BE/B.Tech in Telangana|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for B.Tech Chemical Science and Technology is as follows:
- The candidate should have passed in 10+2 or equivalent from a recognised board with minimum 50% marks.
- The candidate should have passed 10+2 with Physics, Maths and Chemistry subjects.
- The candidate should have qualified in any one of the entrance exams held for BE/BTech admissions.
See more: BTech Chemical Science and Technology Syllabus
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Entrance Exams
The entrance exams are held at national and state level. A few private institutes conduct their own entrance exam as well like PESU which conducts PESAT for admissions in engineering courses. Let us look at the popular entrance exams held for admissions into B.Tech Chemical Science and Technology.
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|JEE Mains||Check Here|
|JEE Advanced||Check Here|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: How to Prepare for Entrance Exams?
- Those who have not yet completed their 10+2, the best thing to do would be to score good marks in the exams held as they carry marks.
- Revise aptitude and mathematical formulas, learn basics and mathematical formulas. Aptitude is asked in a few of the entrance tests.
- Make a schedule to cover complete portions and stick to it.
- Revise the entire syllabus and solve previous year papers.
- Talk to existing students to enquire about your doubts and to know the gist of the course.
See more: BTech Chemical Science and Technology Cutoff
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: How to get Admissions in a Good College?
- Get to know the entrance exam you wish to take up. The time allotted, exam pattern, difficulty and everything related to the exam.
- Study the entire syllabus but most importantly know the concepts as the questions will be based on concepts.
- Be updated with general knowledge since a few questions on that can also be asked.
- Attending coaching centres can also turn out to be helpful.
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Mathematics I||Mathematics II|
|Computer Science||Modern Biology|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Mathematics III||Mathematics IV|
|Chemical Process||Inorganic Chemistry|
|Introduction to Quantum Chemistry||Computational Chemistry|
|Fluid Mechanics||Spectroscopy: Basics|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Environmental Chemistry||Heat and Mass Transfer|
|Chemical Kinetics and Electrochemistry||Petroleum and Petrochemicals|
|Industrial Chemistry||Introduction to Chemical Thermodynamics|
|Elective I||Elective II|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Modern Chemical Technology||Elective II|
|Technical Report and Presentation||Elective III|
|Project I||Project II|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Important Books
|Name of Book||Author|
|Objective Type Questions and Answers in Chemical Engineering||Prasad Ram|
|Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering||Julian Smith and Peter Harriott|
|Chemical Reaction Engineering||Octave Levenspiel|
|Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||YVC Rao|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: List of Top Colleges
Let us look at Top colleges for BTech Chemical Science and Technology according to the NIRF Ratings.
|College Name||Average Fees||Average Salary|
|IIT Patna||INR 2.23 LPA||INR 18 LPA|
|IIT Guwahati||INR 2.19 LPA||INR 20 LPA|
|IIT Varanasi||INR 85,000||INR 16 – 17 LPA|
|BITS||INR 4.2 LPA||INR 10 -11 LPA|
|NIT Karnataka||INR 1.52 LPA||INR 13.7 LPA|
|Motilal Nehru National Institute Of Technology||INR 84,666||INR 8.82 LPA|
|Thapar University||INR 3.25 LPA||INR 13.23 LPA|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: College Comparison
|Parameter||IIT Guwahati||BITS Pilani|
|Objective||IIT Guwahati is an ivy league college in India which is a government aided college. It comes with the IIT tag and is one of the best college for BTech Chemical Science and Technology||BITS Pilani is one of the finest private engineering colleges in India It is highly admired and it has a name of its own. It is the best private institution for BTech Chemical Science and Technology in India|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2.19 LPA||INR 4.2 LPA|
|Average Annual Placement||INR 20 LPA||INR 10 – 11 LPA|
|Top Companies Participating||Microsoft, Uber, IBM, Bajaj, L&T, Flipkart, Quadeye||Google, Microsoft, Dell, Amazon, Reliance|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Course Comparison
BTech Chemical Science and Technology and BE Chemical Science and Technology are similar streams but one belongs to engineering and other to technology domain. Some of the differences are listed below:
|Parameters||BE Chemical Science and Technology||BTech Chemical Science and Technology|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Focus Area||BE is theory oriented with less attention for practical and laboratories.||It is application oriented with more attention for practical and laboratories.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance exam||Entrance exam|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed in 10+2 from a recognised board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics||Passed in 10+2 from a recognised board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics|
|Average course fees||INR 2 – 6 LPA||INR 4 – 6 LPA|
|Job opportunities||Chemical engineer, biomedical engineer, nuclear engineer, maintenance engineer||Chemical engineer, chemical technician, production engineer, chemical material engineer, nuclear engineer|
|Areas of employment||oil & petroleum industry, food industry, textiles industry, cement industry, healthcare industry||oil & petroleum industry, food industry, textiles industry, fertilizers industry, paper and pulp industry, rubber industry|
|Average placement package||INR 3 – 6 LPA||INR 3 – 5 LPA|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Job Profiles
Job opportunities for BTech Chemical Science and Technology are not limited to any one industry since chemistry and its applications are unlimited. A lot of different industries hire graduates of this course into various job positions.
|Job Position||Job description||Average Annual Salary|
|Biomedical Engineer||Biomedical Engineers design and produce artificial organs, and human body parts. They also manufacture, use and run medical equipment.||INR 3 – 4 LPA|
|Chemical Engineer||Chemical Engineers perform chemical analysis, research and design new processes, perform tests, install and maintain equipment||INR 5 – 7 LPA|
|Nuclear Engineer||Nuclear engineers design, maintain nuclear plants. They also research and try to deduce new nuclear reactions.||INR 7 – 11 LPA|
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: Future Scope
The graduates in the course can get job placements and start their career in their chosen fields or even pursue further studies. The options available for further studies are:
ME/MTech: BTech Chemical Science and Technology students can pursue ME Chemical Engineering/MTech Chemical Engineering in the field. The course is for years and admissions are done through entrance exams like GATE, CET etc.
MBA: Another popular option amongst engineers is MBA. Engineers from any stream or specialisation can pursue MBA. The course is offered for a year or two and mode of admissions is entrance exams like CAT, GMAT etc.
Others: Other options include taking up highly competitive exams like GATE, UPSC etc. The students can also take up GRE or IELTS and pursue MS in foreign countries.
BTech Chemical Science and Technology: FAQs
Ques. What is the average fees for BTech Chemical Science and Technology?
Ques. Are the admission process the same for both BTech and BE chemical science engineering?
Ques. What is the average salary for BTech Chemical Science engineering?
Ques. Is calculator allowed in JEE exam?
Ques. Which college offers lateral entry for diploma students?
Ques. Are government jobs available?
Ques. Does NITK offer the course?