BTech in Computer Engineering is a 4-year undergraduate level academic programme which combines the field of Computer Engineering and Computer Science. The program spans over 8 semesters.
To apply for BTech Computer Engineering, aspirants are required to have education upto 10+2 with a computer or science background while having aggregate 50% marks.
Top institutions such as IITs, BITS, NITs etc. require students to take part in the annually held entrance examinations to be eligible for admission in Computer Engineering.
B.Tech Course Details:
BTech in Computer Science Engineering comprises subjects and topics that are related to algorithms, programming languages, programme design, computation, computer hardware, computer software etc. Aspirants not only learn computer dynamics and technicalities related to the course but they also learn how to modify them so they can be adjusted for upcoming technologies in near future.
The average fee for studying BTech in Computer Engineering is around INR 1 to 3 Lakhs. After finishing the 4-year program, aspirants can expect a minimum salary from INR 5 to 7 Lakhs, reaching upto INR 50-90 Lakhs per annum, some of the top recruiters are Facebook, HubSpot, Procore Technologies, Salesforce, Lululemon, Ultimate Software, Delta Air Lines, Adobe etc..
See Also: Top BTech Entrance Exams in India
After the successful completion of this course, students can also take into consideration
to study further in the same career sphere. A MTech in Computer Engineering is one of the most considerable degrees in this field. Studying furthermore will not only provide ample possibilities, but will also provide recognition and first-hand knowledge of the subject.
If the student wants to do higher studies then MTech, MS and MBA are the popular destinations. MTech helps students to have a good career in the academic field. Learn More: All About BTech
BTech Computer Engineer: Course Highlights
|Eligibility||10+2 PCM with 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission process||Entrance exam conducted by colleges, GD & PE|
|Entrance Exams||JEE Advanced, JEE Main, BITSAT, VITEEE, COMEDK|
|Course Fee||INR 2 to 10 LPA|
|Average salary||INR 10 to 30 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Facebook, HubSpot, Procore Technologies, Salesforce, Lululemon, Ultimate Software, Delta Air Lines, Adobe|
|Job Positions||Computer Programmer, System Database Administrator, Software Developer, Software Designer, System Designer, Data Warehouse Analyst, Engineering Support Specialist.|
BTech Computer Engineering: What is it About?
BTech Computer Engineering is a 4-year with 8-semesters undergraduate degree which teaches a candidate about every aspect of Computer Engineering.
- It includes a detailed study of coding languages, along with various other important concepts on Computer Architecture, Artificial Intelligence, Cyber Security, etc.
- It includes a detailed study of major programming languages like C, C++, Java and Python. Along with the software subjects, this course will also include hardware subjects like Analog and Digital Electronics.
- This course also includes compulsory internships and live projects, where a candidate would have to perform software operations on their own. This gives them the opportunity to learn about the subject under an industry environment.
After this course, a candidate will be able to design their own websites and apps, and maintain them efficiently and acquire positions of importance like Graphic Designer, Computer and Information Research Scientist, IT support analyst, Computer Hardware Engineer, Network Engineer, IT consultant, Programmers, Teacher etc.
The average salary offered to a BTech Computer Engineer ranges anywhere from INR 3 to 10 lakhs.
B.E. Computer Science degree holders are able to have a successful career in academia, industry, and public service, providing technical leadership by solving significant problems across a broad range. The course develops an individual well to adapt to new technologies, tools and methodologies that come their way.
Why Study BTech Computer Engineering?
One must consider pursuing BTech Computer Engineering because of the following reasons:
- In-Demand Course: The candidates of BTech Computer Engineering are always highly demanded in the tertiary sector. Hence, the demand for this course is always high.
- Demand to increase in future: With the rapid growth in the software industry, the demand for this course has been rising. Also, since COVID 19 Pandemic has pushed people further to use technology, they have grown more comfortable with it and there are high chances that it would affect the demand of Computer Engineers in the near future.
- High Starting Salary: The candidates with BTech Computer Engineering are offered an average starting salary in the range of INR 2 Lakhs to 14 Lakhs. But, if the candidates have a highly polished skill set, then the starting salary may easily rise upto INR 15 Lakhs.
- Opportunities of working in reputed MNCs: Reputed and top MNCs in the world including Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, etc regularly recruit these BTech Computer Engineers in large numbers. Furthermore, India is one of the favourite spots for MNCs to recruit employees.
- Opportunities of Working Abroad: BTech Computer Engineers graduates have a lot of opportunities for working abroad. The top MNCs generally offer a job in their headquarters which are usually situated abroad to their best employees.
Learn More About: JEE Main Question Papers
What is the Admission Process of BTech Computer Engineering?
Most of the institutes and universities in India follow an entrance-based admission process for admission to BTech Computer Science program. Top BTech colleges such as IIT, Jain University, LPU, etc. offer admission through entrances like JEE Main, LPU NEST, JET, etc. The steps of the entrance-based admission are provided below:
- Online Registration: Students are required to register for the entrance test by providing their email address, mobile number, and password after which a login id will be generated.
- Filling up of application form: After the creation of a login id, candidates have to fill up the online application form by providing their personal and academic details.
- Uploading of documents: In this step, candidates have to upload the necessary documents such as a photograph, signature, id proof, Class 10 and 12 certificates, etc.
- Application Fee: On uploading the requisite documents, students will have to pay the requisite amount of application fee using Credit Card, Debit Card, or Net Banking.
- Download Application Form: After paying the application fee, candidates have to save and download the form for future references.
- Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of the details submitted by the students, the admission authority will issue the admit cards to the eligible students.
- Entrance Exam: After getting the admit card, exam dates will be released by different conducting bodies. Candidates have to sit for the entrance test and qualify the same to get admission.
- Declaration of Result: In the final stage, admission authorities will release the results of the entrance test they have appeared for.
- Counselling: The selected candidates have to appear for counseling to choose their branch of study in engineering.
Important documents which are needed to be submitted for the process of document verification are listed below.
- Marksheet and Pass Certificate of class 12
- Marksheet of class 10
- Birth Certificate / Class 10 Admit Card
- Entrance Exam Rank Card
- Seat Allotment Letter
- Entrance Exam Admit Card
- Domicile Certificate (if required)
- Passport Size Photographs
What is the BTech Computer Engineering Eligibility Criteria?
- A candidate must hold a graduate degree with a minimum of 10+2 years of formal education with Mathematics as one of the subjects from a recognized board.
- Candidates, who are in the final year, are also eligible to apply provided they complete their formal education.
- The candidates must be a minimum of 17 years of age or above. However, the maximum age is set to be 23 years.
- Candidates should have passed 12th standard or equivalent examination recognized by AICTE and State Government in Physics and Mathematics subjects along with Chemistry / Electronics / Biology / Biotechnology / Computer Science as optional subjects and English as one of the languages of study.
- Students must have obtained a minimum of 45% marks in aggregate (40% for SC/ST/OBC).
The colleges which accept admission through JEE Main follow the eligibility criteria set by the JEE authority.
- For being eligible for JEE Main, a candidate must secure minimum 75% aggregate marks at the 10+2 level.
- For the other colleges, which may not consider JEE Main Score, the minimum required aggregate marks ranges between 50% - 65%.
However, one must note that the eligibility criteria for BTech Computer Engineering varies from college to college.
|Exam name||Registration Date||Date of exam|
|JEE MAIN||December 15, 2022 – January 12, 2023 (Phase 1)
February 7, 2023 – March 7, 2023 (9 PM) (Phase 2)
Phase 1: January 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 2023
|JEE ADVANCED||April 30, 2023 – May 04, 2023||June 04, 2023
Paper 1: 09:00 AM – 12:00 Noon
Paper 2: 02:30 PM – 05:30 PM
|WBJEE||December 23, 2022 (OUT) – January 8, 2023 (Tentative)||April 30, 2023|
|MHT CET||February 10, 2023 – May 15, 2023 (Tentative)||June 15, 2023 to June 20, 2023 (Tentative)|
|BITSAT||2nd week of February 2023 – 2nd week of May 2023||3rd week of June 2023|
- JEE Main: Joint Entrance Examination Main is the most popular Engineering Entrance Exam in India. It is a CBT exam conducted twice a year by NTA. The candidates may appear in both the sessions, the best of the two scores will be considered for ranking. Around 10,00,000 lakh candidates appear in this entrance exam every year for admission to all the major engineering courses in India.
- JEE Advanced: Only the candidates who successfully qualified JEE Mains are eligible for appearing in JEE Advanced Entrance Exam. It is conducted by the IIT Council and is regarded as one of the toughest Entrance Exams in India. This exam is the gateway to all the IITs in our country.
- WBJEE: West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination is the state level entrance exam conducted by WBJEE board for admission to all engineering and pharmacy courses offered by the engineering and pharmacy colleges located within the state. It is conducted once a year in offline mode.
- COMEDK UGET: COMEDK UGET is a state-level examination providing a gateway to students for admission in engineering and architecture courses offered by institutes of the state. The exam has a total of 180 objective questions that will have to be attempted in 180 minutes.
- BITSAT: Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences conducts this entrance exam for admission to all the courses offered by both the campuses of the institute. The entrance exam is conducted in CBT mode once a year.
- MHTCET: Maharashtra Common Entrance Exam is a state-level entrance exam for admission to engineering courses offered by the engineering colleges located in Maharashtra state.
|Exam Name||Application Last Date||Exam Date|
|JEE Main||January 12, 2023 (9 PM) (Phase 1)
March 7, 2023 (9 PM) (Phase 2)
|Phase 1: January 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 2023
Phase 2: April 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 2023
|JEE Advanced||3rd week of May 2023||1st week of August 2023|
|BITSAT||2nd week of May 2023||3rd week of June 2023|
|VITEEE||March 31, 2023 (Tentative)||April 15 – 21, 2023 (Tentative)|
|SRMJEE||April 16, 2023 (Phase 1)
June 5, 2023 (Phase 2)
|April 21 – 23, 2023 (Phase 1)
June 10 – 11, 2023 (Phase 2)
How to Prepare for BTech Computer Engineering Entrance Exams?
- Stay alert about the latest exam pattern which will help you to prepare well for the exams.
- Check the latest syllabus for the exam which is available on the official websites.
- Practice all types of questions including MCQ so that you don't get confused at the time of examination.
- Do not go for guesswork if there is negative marking.
- Make reading the newspaper your daily habit to stay updated about current affairs.
- Revise prepared topics thoroughly until the final exam.
- Do not go for new topics a day before the actual exam as this might confuse you.
- Sit for mock exams as this will give you an idea of how the exams take place.
Most of the BTech Computer Engineering Entrance Exams consist of questions from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. Some may also contain questions on English and general aptitude. The question paper pattern for JEE Mains is discussed below.
- The exam consists of two papers, paper I and paper II. Paper I is for BE and BTech courses, while Paper II is for architecture and designing courses.
- The question paper I consist of 90 questions on Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics, 30 questions from each subject.
- The maximum marks for the whole paper I is 360. Each correct response will fetch you 4 marks, while 1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer.
- All the questions will be MCQ type, with a single correct response.
Some of the important points which will help students crack BTech Computer Engineering entrance exams easily are as follows:
- Try to complete the entire syllabus of the entrance exam at least 1 month before the exam date. This will help you get ample time for revision.
- Focus on your calculations. Try to do fast and accurate calculations.
- Be thorough with the syllabus and important topics to cover so that no topic is left out.
- Practice as many sample papers as you can. Try to solve them within a stipulated time period in the exam environment.
- After solving the sample papers, check your scores and note them down. This will help you in tracking your daily progress and recognising the areas for improvement.
What is the BTech Computer Engineering Syllabus?
|Year I||Year II|
|Chemistry 1||Energy Studies|
|Economics for Engineers||Computer Organisation and Design|
|Elementary Mathematics for Engineers||Basic Electronics Engineering|
|Basic Engineering Mechanics||Materials Science|
|Value Education, Human Rights, and Legislative Procedures||Multivariate Analysis, Linear Algebra and Special Functions|
|Environmental Studies||Complex Algebra|
|Law for Engineers||Elementary Biology|
|Business Communication and Presentation Skills||Design and Analysis of Algorithms|
|Computer Programming||Digital Systems|
|Chemistry Laboratory 1||Data Structures and Algorithms|
|Applied Physics 1||Basic Electronics Engineering Laboratory|
|Sociology and Elements of Indian History for Engineers||Discrete Mathematics|
|Engineering Graphics||Chemistry 2|
|Engineering Workshop||Basic Simulation Laboratory|
|Applied Physics Laboratory 1||Operating Systems (Unix Programming)|
|Basic Electrical Engineering||Formal Languages and Automata Theory|
|Applied Physics 2||-|
|Year III||Year IV|
|Simulation and Modelling||Pattern Recognition|
|Internet Web Programming||Elective Course 4|
|Embedded Computing Systems||Elective Course 6|
|Compiler Design||Project Work 1|
|Optimisations and Calculus of Variations||Elective Course 9|
|Fuzzy Mathematics||Mobile Computing|
|Computer Graphics and Visualisation||Elective Course 5|
|Advanced Biology 1||Elective Course 7|
|Artificial Intelligence||Elective Course 8|
|Software Engineering||Project Work 2 and Dissertation|
|Elective Course 1||-|
|Elective Course 3||-|
|Object-Oriented Analysis and Design||-|
|Elective Course 2||-|
See Also: Top BTech Colleges in Guntur
What are the Top BTech Computer Engineering Colleges?
|College Name||Average Fees|
|Dhole Patil College of Engineering, Pune||INR 1.1 Lakhs|
|Madras University of Technology, Chennai||INR 90,440|
|Vishwakarma Institute of Information Technology, Pune||INR 1.6 Lakhs|
|A C Patil College of Engineering, Navi Mumbai||INR 1.9 Lakhs|
|Datta Meghe College of Engineering, Navi Mumbai||INR 1.8 Lakhs|
|Hindustan College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore||INR 1.7 Lakhs|
|Shri Vaishnav Institute of Technology and Science, Indore||INR 1.22 Lakhs|
|Rajarshi Shahu College of Engineering, Pune||INR 2.1 Lakhs|
|Shri Govindram Seksaria Institute of Technology and Science, Indore||INR 1.8 Lakhs|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani||INR 6.5 Lakhs|
|Vidyalankar Institute of Technology, Mumbai||INR 2.6 Lakhs|
|Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu||INR 2.5 Lakhs|
|Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||INR 26,600|
BTech Computer Engineering: College Comparison
|Parameters||Indian Institute of Science||Birla Institute of Technology and Science||IIT Madras|
|Overview||Indian Institute of Science was set up in 1909 at Bangalore, Karnataka. The college has 6 academic divisions and 45 academic departments. The college has an active placement cell that annually conducts recruitment drives for eligible meritorious students.||Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani is a deemed university and is backed by the Aditya Birla Group. It was established in 1969.||Indian Institute of Technology Madras is a public technical and research university located in Tamil Nadu. It was established in 1959 and is of national importance.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Placement Percentage in 2019||25%||-||100%|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 32,000||INR 3.2 Lakhs||INR 1.09 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 25 Lakhs||INR 9.2 Lakhs||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiters||Oracle, Toshiba, HSBC, Cisco, Dell.||Big Bazaar, Bosch, Taj Hotels, Toyota, CISCO, Accenture, Cognizant, JSW, Indiamart, etc.||-|
BTech Computer Engineering Vs. BE Computer Engineering: Course Comparison
|Parameters||BE Computer Engineering||BTech Computer Engineering|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Engineering||Bachelor of Technology In Computer Engineering|
|Overview||This course includes a detailed study of Coding Languages, Data Structures, Operating Systems, Computer Networks, Computer Architecture, etc.||This course also includes the similar subjects, but this course focuses on the technical aspects and practical based learning, rather than the theoretical learning.|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Examination Type||Semester based||Semester based|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 with PCM and English||10+2 with PCM and English|
|Top Colleges||Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Jamia Millia Islamia, Army Institute of Technology, etc.||IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, Hindustan College of Engineering and Technology, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 to INR 3 Lakhs||INR 50,000 to INR 2 Lakhs|
|Job Profiles||Software tester, Software Developer, Project Engineer, Web Developer, Front End Developer, Back End Operator, etc.||Software tester, Software Developer, Project Engineer, Web Developer, Front End Developer, Back End Operator, etc.|
|Recruiting Areas||MNCs, Corporate Houses, Banks, Software Development Companies, Web Designing Firms, etc.||MNCs, Corporate Houses, Banks, Software Development Companies, Web Designing Firms, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3 Lakhs to 7 Lakhs||INR 2 Lakhs to 14 Lakhs|
What are the Job Prospects After BTech Computer Engineering?
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Computer Programmer||Computer programmers help create the code for various software applications and different operating systems. The code created helps computer applications run on computers.||INR 5 Lakhs|
|Software Engineer||Software engineers are prone to design, develop, maintain, test, and analyze computer software.||INR 6 Lakhs|
|System Database Administrator||System Database Administrator generally oversees the security, performance, and integrity of data in the database.||INR 5 Lakh|
|Engineering Support Specialist||Engineering support specialist offers technical support and assistance to resolve consumers and businesses related issues involving technical, hardware and software systems.||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Data Warehouse Analyst||Data warehouse analysts collect, analyze, mine and help the business leverage of the information stored in data warehouses.||INR 8.5 Lakhs|
|System Designer||The roles of a system designer are to define the structure, interfaces, and data for a system.||INR 14 Lakhs|
|Computer Operator||Computer operators maintain a logbook, check viruses, upgrade software and carry out basic tasks, etc.||INR 10 Lakhs|
|Research Analyst||The role of the Research analysts is to conduct surveys, document data, collect information via the internet and conduct research on various niches.||INR 4 Lakhs|
What is the Future Scope After BTech Computer Engineering?
Some of the Job Roles played by computer engineers are below:
|IT Consultants||Security Analysts and Consultants|
|Web Developers||Data Architects|
|Software Testers and Developers||Microsoft|
|IT Auditors||Data Warehouse Developer/ Manager or Analyst|
Some companies that recruit BTech Computer Engineering students after graduation are:
|Infosys Technologies||IBM Services|
Multiple higher studies options are available for these candidates. Some of these options are:
- MTech Computer Engineering: Master of Technology in Computer Engineering is one of the most highly sought after MTech courses in India. It is offered by almost all the top Engineering colleges in India, including the reputed IITs and NITs. A candidate must qualify the GATE exam with a good score to get admission to this course.
- MS Computer Engineering: Master of Science in Computer Engineering is a master degree course which can be done after completing any undergraduate computer engineering course. The candidates will have to qualify GATE for getting admission to this course.
- MBA IT: MBA Information Technology is a popular MBA course among CSE and IT students. This course is specifically curated for students with technical background and includes a detailed study of both management and IT subjects. A candidate will have to qualify CAT or any other MBA Entrance Exam for admission to MBA IT course.
- MBA Finance: MBA Finance is the second most popular MBA option for Computer Engineers after MBA IT. The candidates who wish to join as IT Officers in various banking organisations generally prefer doing this course.
BTech Computer Engineer: FAQs
Ques. Can a BTech Computer Engineer possibly tackle a PSU job?
Ans. Yes. as there are many Indian PSUs that are hiring computer engineers in India. Some of those top companies are ISRO, CIL, BEL, ICL, ONGC etc.
Ques. Can I go for a freelancing job after pursuing BTech Computer Engineering?
Ans. It is very easy for a computer engineer to be a freelancer due to the skills and knowledge he or she possesses.
Ques. What should I do to become a teacher after pursuing BTech Computer Engineering?
Ans. To be a teacher in the engineering sector, it is required to have real-life working experience. The most common qualification In India for being a teacher is to have a PhD degree if you want to teach college students.
Ques. Is JEE helpful for me if I want to pursue the BTech Computer Engineering field as a student?
Ans. JEE offers you access to top colleges in India if you want to pursue a career in engineering. It is required to score 75% in 10+2 if your target institutes are IITs or NITs.
Ques. Is BTech Computer Engineering tough?
Ans. It goes both ways depending on the time spent understanding the concepts.
Ques. Is BTech Computer Engineering in demand?
Ans. The employment of computer engineers is predicted to grow 6 percent from 2018 to 2028. Given this, the demand for computer engineers will gradually increase.
Ques.Which courses are best for BTech Computer Engineering students?
Ans. The following courses are great for BTech Computer Engineering students:
- Web Development
- Mobile Application Development
- Software Engineering
- Systems Architect
- Machine Learning
- Data Engineering
Ques. Which engineering course has the highest salary?
Ans. Highest Paid Engineering Courses are:
- Computer Science
- Aerospace engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Biomedical engineering
Ques. What rank is required for enrollment in IIT Bombay for BTech Computer Engineering?
Ans. As per the last year records, the closing rank in IIT Bombay for CE is 45.
Ques. Is BTech Computer Engineering a good course to study?
Ans. Yes, as there is a high demand the career opportunities are showing up increasingly for graduates of degree programs in computer engineering.