BTech Electrical Engineering is an undergraduate degree course in Electrical Engineering. The course has a total duration of 4 years. BTech Electrical Engineering course is taught in some of the best engineering colleges of the country like IIT-Guwahati, NIT-Warangal, NIT-Tiruchirappalli, Chandigarh University.
BTech Electrical Engineering is one of the most popular branches of Engineering. It mainly focuses on the study of electricity and its various applications. The course also deals with the concepts of electronics and electromagnetism. Some of the important subjects that are taught to the students include Power System, Circuit Analysis, Power Electronics, Control System, etc.
Admission to the BTech Electrical Engineering course is mainly done on the basis of the performance of the candidates in the entrance tests. However, a few colleges also directly admit students based on their marks in the 10+2 board examination.
|NIRF Rank||College Name||Admission Process||Average Fee||Average Salary|
|1||Indian Institute of Technology, Madras||JEE Advanced||INR 75,116||INR 12.44 LPA|
|2||Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi||JEE Advanced||INR 2,24,900||INR 18.47 LPA|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai||JEE Advanced||INR 2,11,400||INR 14.11 LPA|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||JEE Advanced||INR 2,15,600||INR 10 LPA|
|12||National Institute of Technology, Rourkela||JEE Advanced||INR 1,78,000||INR 6 LPA|
BTech Electrical Engineering is one of the most popular engineering courses in India. So, here we have listed for you some of the best BTech colleges/ universities as per the NIRF Ranking:
The average tuition fee of the BTech Electrical Engineering course is INR 4,00,000 to INR 10,00,000. The fee charged in private colleges is way more than that of government colleges. Job opportunities are available in various electrical engineering sectors.
The average salary earned by BTech Electrical Engineering students is INR 3.5 to 6 LPA. The candidates may work at companies like Google, Microsoft, Power Grid, Samsung, etc.
What is the BTech Electrical Engineering Admission Process?
Every college has a different process of admission. Admission is either direct or on the basis of the performance of the candidates in the entrance test. There are various national-level and state-level entrance tests for admission to the top engineering colleges of the country.
These tests are mainly conducted from December to May. The counselling process begins shortly after the date of declaration of the results. Some colleges also have a few seats reserved for the management quota students.
BTech Electrical Engineering: Direct Admission
Step 1: Fill the Application Form
You will have to fill up the application form carefully which is available on the official website of the university. The admission forms can also be filled up in physical mode.
Step 2: Admission to the College
The college will release a list displaying the names of the candidates who have been shortlisted for the admission procedure.
BTech Electrical Engineering Entrance Test Procedure
Step 1: Fill the Application Form
You need to fill up the application form for the entrance test. This process will have to be carried out online.
Step 2: Appear for the Entrance Test
You need to appear for the entrance test, the cut-off score for the entrance test is released shortly after the results of the tests are declared.
Step 3: Counselling Round
In the counselling process, the candidates are allotted colleges as per their ranks. The counselling process continues for 2-3 months.
Step 4: Admission to the College
Once you have been allotted a college, you will be able to take admission to that particular page. Pay the admission charges and submit the required documents and you are ready to begin classes.
What is the Minimum BTech Electrical Engineering Eligibility Required?
Every institute has particular eligibility criteria. A candidate requires to fulfil that eligibility criterion if he/she wants to get admitted to that particular college.
The eligibility criteria have been given below:
- The candidates should complete their 10+2 or equivalent examination from a reputed board having PCM as their main subjects.
- The students must acquire a minimum of 55% in their higher secondary board examination.
- For the lateral entry students, they must complete their 3-years diploma in a related subject from a recognized board.
- The eligibility criterion is not the same for the reservation category. A certain relaxation of marks is given to them.
- All the candidates will have to clear the cut-off of the entrance test if they wish to stand eligible for the admission process.
BTech Electrical Engineering Entrance Exam
A lot of entrance tests are held in different corners of India for admitting the engineering students. The entrance tests are both state-level as well as national-level. The application forms for the same are mostly released in the month of December.
Here, we have listed a few of the top BTech Electrical Engineering entrance exams of India:
- JEE Main 2021: The JEE Main examination is the most popular entrance examination for the engineering students of India. Of late, the examination is being held twice a year in the months of January and April.
- JEE Advanced 2021: The JEE Advanced examination is for those students who wish to become a part of the IITs, CFTIs and NITs of India. The JEE Main shortlisted candidates will be eligible to appear for the JEE Advanced examination.
- BITSAT 2021: BITSAT is the admission test conducted by Birla Institute of Technology and Science. The examination is mostly held in May and the forms are released in January.
- VITEEE 2021: Vellore Institute of Technology conducts an entrance test every year for admitting the students to the various courses offered by the institute.
- WBJEE 2021: West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination is the state-level examination for the engineering aspirants of West Bengal. The examination is conducted once every year in the month of February.
|Entrance Test||Mode of Examination||Total Time||Date of Application||Date of Examination|
|JEE Main||Online||3 hours||September 2020 and February 2021||January 2021 and April 2021|
|JEE Advanced||Online||3 hours||April 2021||June 2021|
|VITEEE||Online||3 hours||January 2021||April 2021|
|BITSAT||Online||3 hours||January 2021||May 2021|
|WBJEE||Offline||3 hours||October 2020||February 2021|
How to prepare for the BTech Electrical Engineering entrance test?
The craze for engineering is an everlasting one. Every year, lakes of candidates aspire to become an engineer. So, if you wish to become a part of a college of your choice, then you must clear the cut-off of the entrance test.
Here are a few excellent preparation strategies for you:
- If you are aiming for the IITs, then you must start off with your preparations as soon as you are done with your class 10 examinations.
- You must be absolutely familiar with the syllabus and the question paper pattern. Otherwise, you will not be able to obtain an excellent score in the examination.
- Numerical type questions are quite important for each and every engineering entrance examination. So, you must give special attention to such questions.
- You must be really strategic about your preparation. There are a lot of students who, in spite of working hard, do not get the desired rank in the test because of poor strategies.
- Practicing questions from previous year’s question papers and sample papers is of primary importance for any Engineering entrance examination.
- A few links to some of the sample papers and previous year’s question papers have been mentioned below:
- Try to stay as calm and relaxed as possible. This is your only way to obtain a very good rank in your entrance. Your attitude will determine what rank you will acquire in the examination.
- Prepare from books published by reputed publishers. Getting hold of the right books will definitely help you out in succeeding in the entrance examination.
How to get admission in a good college?
India is one such country which is teeming with some of the best engineering colleges of the world. So, here are a few things that must be kept in mind if you are looking forward to getting admitted to a good college:
- You must have good marks in your 10+2 examination. There are quite a few colleges that give weightage to the 10+2 percentage for admission to the engineering courses.
- Being really well-prepared for the entrance test is a must. You must start preparing for your engineering entrance tests with sufficient time in hand. Otherwise you will not be able to become a part of the college of your dreams.
- You must take all the necessary steps to prepare well for the entrance tests. Follow the right books and take proper coaching if required. Start off with your preparations at least a year before the date of the entrance test.
- Next, you must find out whether the college you are applying for is good enough or not. Properly check the internet for ratings and review to get a clear idea about what the students have got to say about that particular college.
- You will have to acquire details about the placement scenario of the institute because engineering is mostly about good placements. Your college must have a very good average CTC.
- Also, you need to be extra careful while you are filling up the form for the entrance test. You must minutely go through the guidelines and also take the help of an elder if required.
BTech Electrical Engineering: What is it about?
Electrical Engineering is a widely popular engineering discipline. Thousands of students opt for this course every year. Let us see what the BTech Electrical Engineering course is all about.
- Electrical Engineering course is mostly about electricity and its fundamentals. It also covers various topics related to electronics and electromagnetism. It focuses on the industrial aspects of Electrical Engineering.
- The course teaches the students about the functions of various electrical components. The students will get to know how to use the electric components to develop major electrical equipment.
- The trained electrical engineers get to design computer chips, electrical motors, aircrafts, automobiles, space crafts and different other types of engines.
- The knowledge acquired from the BTech Electrical Engineering course can be used in various fields like geoscience, acoustics, robotics, ferroelectrics, automobiles, frequency control and many more.
- Some of the important topics covered in the BTech Electrical Engineering courses are Digital and Analog Communication, Control Engineering, Microprocessors, Electrical Drives and Control, etc.
BTech Electrical Engineering: Course Highlights
BTech Electrical is a popular engineering course pursued by millions of aspirants every year. Here are some quick highlights of course.
|Full-form||Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in 10+2 with PCM as the main subjects.|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission or on the performance of the candidates in the Entrance Test.|
|Course Fee||INR 4,00,000 to INR 10,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3.6 LPA -INR 6.5 LPA|
|Job Positions||Electrical Manager, Maintenance Engineer, Professor, Mechanical Engineer.|
|Top Recruiting Sectors||Energy & Power Sector, Pharmaceutical Sector, Chemical & Petrochemical Plant, Water Treatment Facilities, etc.|
|Top Recruiters||Electrical Engineering sectors, banks, hospitals and educational institutes.|
Why Study a BTech Electrical Engineering course?
BTech Electrical Engineering course exposes a student to various career options. Here we have few of the top reasons regarding why you should go for the BTech Electrical Engineering course:
- BTech Electrical Engineering students have excellent demands in the market. It is the best course for the students to develop and implement their own electrical abilities. They will also be able to put their ideas into being.
- The Electrical Engineering sector has been developing at a very fast pace over the past few decades. It provides a lot of job options to the students. The course provides the students with the options to develop advanced electrical equipment of their own.
- The Electrical Engineering engineers may acquire jobs in one of the many Electrical Engineering sectors of the country. Job options are open in both government as well as non-governmental sectors.
- The students may work as an electrical engineer, mechanical engineer, professor, lecturer, etc. Some of the most popular concerns offering jobs to the BTech Electrical Engineering students are Siemens, TCS, Samsung, Oracle, etc.
- The students also have the choice to pursue higher studies. They may opt for an M.Tech in Electrical Engineering. Many students also study MBA after completing their BTech course. The average CTC earned by a BTech Electrical Engineering student is approximately INR 3.6 to 6.5 LPA.
BTech Electrical vs BTech Electronics and Communication Course Comparison
There are many people who get confused between the BTech Electrical Engineering and the BTech Electronics and Communication Engineering course. So, let us see how these courses differ from one another.
|Parameters||BTech Electrical Engineering||BTech in Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering||Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering.|
|Course Overview||BTech Electrical Engineering mostly deals with the electricity and electrical circuits. It also lays focus on certain segments of electronics.||BTech ECE course is all about the study of design and analysis of electronic circuits. Its main implementation lies in the telecommunication sectors.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 55% marks in 10+2.||Minimum 55% marks in 10+2|
|Admission Process||Direct admission/ admission test||Direct admission/ admission test|
|Average Fee||INR 4,0,000 to INR 10,00,000 per year||INR 2,00,000- INR 10,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3.6 LPA to 6.5 LPA||INR 1.5 LPA to 3.5 LPA|
|Colleges||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee (IITR), Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IITD), National Institute of Technology, Rourkela (NIT-RKL), Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK)||IISc Bangalore, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK),Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IITD), BITS Pilani, Alpha College of Engineering, Chennai.|
|Recruitment||Energy & Power Sector, Pharmaceutical Sector, Chemical & Petrochemical Plant, etc.||Media and Entertainment industry, Telecommunication sectors, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Sr. Electrical Manager, Maintenance Engineer, Mechanical Engineer.||Electronic Engineer, Application Engineer, CAD Engineer, Verification Engineer, etc.|
Which are the Top BTech Electrical Engineering Colleges?
BTech Electrical Engineering is taught in almost all the top colleges of India. Here, we have mentioned some of the most popular BTech Electrical Engineering Colleges:
|NIRF Rank||College Name||City||Average First-Year Fee||Average Salary|
|1||Indian Institute of Technology||Madras||INR 75,116||INR 12.44 LPA|
|2||Indian Institute of Technology||New Delhi||INR 2,24,900||INR 18.47 LPA|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology||Mumbai||INR 2,11,400||INR 14.11 LPA|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology||Kanpur||INR 2,15,600||INR 10 LPA|
|5||Indian Institute of Technology||Kharagpur||INR 82,070||INR 14 LPA|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology||Roorkee||INR 2,21,700||INR 14.72 LPA|
|8||Indian Institute of Technology||Hyderabad||INR 2,22,995||INR 23.06 LPA|
|10||Indian Institute of Technology||Indore||INR 2,33,900||INR 18.86 LPA|
|11||Indian Institute of Technology||Varanasi||INR 2,28,180||INR 9 LPA|
|12||National Institute of Technology||Rourkela||INR 1,78,000||INR 6 LPA|
BTech Electrical Engineering College/University Comparison
India has a lot of top BTech Electrical Engineering colleges. Out of them, we have drawn a comparison between three of the prime engineering institutes of the country:
|College/ University Name||Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai||Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi||National Institute of Technology, Rourkela|
|Overview||IIT Madras has always been one of the top IITs of the country. It is excellent both in terms of quality of education and placement scenario.||IIT Delhi falls in the list of the best engineering colleges of the world. The college offers high ranking jobs to the students.||NIT Rourkela is a very popular institute in the field of management and technology. It has over 20 departments.|
|Average 1st Year Fees||INR 75,116||INR 2,24,900||INR 1,78,000|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in 10+2||Minimum 50% in 10+2||Minimum 50% in 10+2|
|Admission Process||Entrance test||Entrance test||Entrance test|
|Average CTC||INR 12.44 LPA||INR 18.47 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Company||Amazon, Cisco, Citrix, Cognizant||Microsoft, Uber, Flipkart, Zomato, Amazon||Mu Sigma, Wipro, Deloitte, Samsung, Accenture|
BTech Electrical Engineering Syllabus
BTech Electrical Engineering is a 4 years course which has a total of 8 semesters. Here, we have given the semester-wise syllabus for the BTech Electrical Engineering course:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Communicative English I||Humanities Elective I|
|Calculus, Matrix Algebra||Vector Calculus and Ordinary Differential Equations|
|Electrical Engineering||Electronics Engineering|
|Engineering Mechanics / Introduction to Thermodynamics||Engineering Mechanics / Introduction to Thermodynamics|
|Computer Programming||Object Oriented Programming|
|Engineering Drawing I||Engineering Drawing II|
|Workshop A / Workshop B||Workshop B / Workshop A|
|Physics Lab / Chemistry Lab||Chemistry Lab. / Physics Lab|
|Cultural Education||Cultural Education|
|Computer Programming Lab||Object Oriented Programming Lab.|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Integral Transforms and Complex Analysis||Mathematical Statistics and Numerical Methods|
|Digital Systems||Electrical Machines I|
|Electric Circuits||Electrical Measurements and Instrumentation|
|Mechanical Engineering||Electromagnetic Theory|
|Humanities Elective I||Humanities Elective II|
|Science Elective I||Science Elective II|
|Electric Circuits Lab||Measurements and Digital Circuits Lab|
|Simulation Lab and Electrical Workshop||Electrical Machines Lab I|
|SOFT SKILLS I|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Introduction to Microcontrollers and Applications||VLSI Design|
|Microprocessors||Transmission Lines and Radiating Systems|
|Electronic Circuits II||Digital Communication|
|Analog Communication||Elective I|
|Control Engineering||Environmental Studies|
|Electronic Circuits Lab II||Digital Communication Lab|
|SOFT SKILLS II||VLSI Design Lab|
|SOFT SKILLS III|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Power System Protection and Switchgear||Elective IV|
|Electrical Drives and Control||Management Elective|
|Power System Simulation Lab|
|Principles of Management|
|Power Electronics Lab|
Important BTech Electrical Engineering Books to Follow
The BTech Electrical Engineering course is all about studying the right books and preparing yourself during your 4 years’ study. Some of the most important books for BTech Electrical Engineering course have been mentioned below:
|Basic Electrical Engineering||C L Wadhwa|
|Abc of Electrical Engineering||Theraja B.L. and Theraja A.K.|
|Handbook of Electrical Engineering||Prashant Bharti|
|Objective Electrical Technology||Mehta V.K. and Mehta Rohit|
BTech Electrical Engineering Job Prospects and Career Options
Engineering students always have very good career opportunities in life. Electrical Engineering, being a core engineering discipline, has a lot of career paths to opt for. Some of the most popular options are:
- They may either study MTech in Electrical Engineering or go for an MBA in a field of their choice.
- Jobs are also available for the students in various power generation and transmission companies. Some popular companies where they can go looking for jobs are Siemens, Samsung, HCL, TCS, etc.
- The students may also opt for government jobs. If they wish to get a job in their field of study, they will have to sit for the IES examination.
- Otherwise, they may also appear for UPSC and other popular governmental examinations. Some of the popular job profiles for the BTech Electrical Engineering students are Electrical Manager, Lecturer, Professor, Maintenance Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, etc.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Senior Electrical Manager||The electrical managers look into the planning, design, implementation and testing of the various electrical tools and equipment.||INR 6 LPA|
|Professor||A professor provides knowledge to the students in their respective fields of study. They explain really difficult concepts to the students which are otherwise hard to understand.||INR 9 LPA|
|Mechanical Engineer||A mechanical engineer evaluates different electromagnetic and mechanical systems by applying the various important principles of mechanics.||INR 3 LPA|
|Maintenance Engineer||The responsibility of a maintenance engineer is to maintain electrical systems and tools in industrial organizations.||INR 3 LPA|
|Lecturer||A lecturer prepares lectures for the students and also carry out research works in their field of study.||INR 2 LPA|
Here, we have shown the salary trends of the common job profiles the BTech Electrical Engineering students:
BTech Electrical Engineering Future Scope
The Electrical Engineering industries have grown rapidly in the last few decades. The Electrical Engineering professionals have a very good future. They have numerous opportunities to build their future.
- BTech Electrical Engineering students may acquire prestigious jobs in the various Electrical Engineering sectors. Few of the popular sectors for the BTech Electrical Engineering students are the energy sector, oil and petroleum sector, power generation sector, engineering consultancy, pharmaceutical sector.
- The candidates may go for higher studies. A lot of engineering students opt for an MTech or an MBA after they complete their BTech course. This is especially meant for those students who wish to remain in the academic field and carry out research activities.
- The BTech Electrical Engineering students can look for jobs in the government and private companies. They may directly apply for jobs in the private companies after completion of the course. For jobs in government offices, they need to appear for additional examinations like IES or UPSC.
- Some of the most popular job profiles for BTech Electrical Engineers are Senior Electrical Manager, Lecturer, Professor, Maintenance Engineer, Mechanical Engineer and many more.
BTech Electrical Engineering FAQs
Ques. What is the total duration of the BTech Electrical Engineering course?
Ans. The total timespan of the full-time BTech Electrical Engineering course is 4 years.
Ques. What is the cut-off for the IITs for the BTech Electrical Engineering course?
Ans. There is no such definite cut-off. It varies each year according to the percentile score acquired by the candidates.
Ques. What are electrical engineering courses after completing a BTech?
Ans. The most popular course options include MS, MTech and MBA.
Ques. What should I do after my BTech Electrical Engineering course?
Ans. You can either search for appropriate jobs or pursue higher studies. You can also sit for government examinations.
Ques. How can I get a job after doing BTech in electrical engineering??
Ans. You can sit for both on-campus and off-campus placements. You may even sit for competitive examinations.
Ques. What is the condition of jobs in electrical engineering in India??
Ans. The Electrical Engineering sector offers enormous to the students each year. The availability of jobs is also increasing per year.
Ques. Which is the best entrance test for the BTech Electrical Engineering candidates?
Ans. Some of the popular entrance tests include JEE Main, JEE Advanced, BITSAT, WBJEE, etc.
Ques. How much marks should I have in 10+2 for a BTech Electrical Engineering Course?
Ans. You need to have at least 50% marks in your boards with PCM as your main subjects.