B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering is a 4-year duration undergraduate degree program that offers study on the fundamentals of Metallurgical Engineering principles. The course offers theory and practical study on the science and technology of working and heat-treating metals and altering their physical characteristics.
Candidates are required to study the topics related Physical Metallurgy, Steel Making, Solid State Phase Transformation Process, Physics of Metals, Metal Working Process etc.
To be eligible for this course study, the candidates need to complete their 10+2 level from a recognized board/ council along with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects with at least 55% aggregate score.
Admission to B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course is mostly done on the basis of national/state-level entrance exams, like JEE Main, WBJEE, MH CET etc. Some reputed colleges and universities also conduct their own entrance exams.
After qualifying the entrance exam, the candidates have to go through the counselling round. However, few colleges also offer direct admission to this score on the basis of score obtained at the 10+2 level board examination.
After completing B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course, the candidates must have plenty of prospective job and career opportunities. They are basically employed in various fields, like metallurgical and chemical labs, iron and steel companies, hardware companies, airlines companies, railways etc.
They are basically hired as Metallurgy Engineer, Metallurgy Production Manager, Welding Engineer, Project Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Research Assistant, Maintenance Engineer etc.
Such professionals can easily expect an average starting salary typically ranges between INR 3,50,000 to 12,00,000 per annum. This annual salary package may increase on the basis of the students’ skills and expertise in the related field.
See More: All About BTech
There are many options after BTech like MTech or MBA Course. Students who prefer to further their studies related to engineering may continue with MTech. MBA is a prudent option for BTech students who want to enter the job market with high salaries.
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Course Highlights
|Exam Type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility||10+2 level with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects from a recognized board with minimum 55% aggregate score|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam Based. Merit Based in few cases|
|Course Fee||INR 30,000-2,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,50,000-12,00,000|
|Job Roles||Metallurgy Production Manager, Welding Engineer, Project Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Research Assistant, Maintenance Engineer etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Railways, Metallurgical and Chemical labs, Hardware Companies, Airlines, Iron and steel companies etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited, Hindalco Limited, Hindustan Copper Limited, Tata Iron & Steel Company, SAIL etc.|
B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering is a 4-year undergraduate degree program that offers in-depth study on the fundamentals of Metallurgical Engineering principles.
- The course covers study related to mining, extraction, designing and processing of metals. It involves theory and practical study on the science and technology that focus on working and heat-treating metals and alter their physical characteristics.
- The course offers studies related to the separation of metals from their ores, making and compound of alloys etc.
- Candidates having interest in various aspects of metallurgy and material science and different scientific principles of fabrication.
- The students who have extensive knowledge in Physics and Chemistry along with critical analytical skills are perfect for applying to this course.
- Some of the most popular topics covered in this course study are Physical Metallurgy, Steel Making, Solid State Phase Transformation Process, Physics of Metals, Metal Working Process etc.
Why Study BTech Metallurgical Engineering?
Students who wish to build a prosperous career in Metallurgical Engineering with better job options with a secured better annual salary packages, can opt for this course study:
- Candidates can get a wide range of potential job opportunities in Railways, Metallurgical and Chemical labs, Hardware Companies, Airlines, Iron and steel companies etc.
- They can easily get hired as a Metallurgy Engineer, Metallurgy Production Manager, Welding Engineer, Project Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Research Assistant, Maintenance Engineer etc.
- They can also perform research activities in various reputed Metallurgy R&D departments and research labs to perform advanced research activities in the related field.
- They can also join as a teacher or lecturer in the related field at the top-notch colleges and universities in India.
- They can also opt for further higher studies like M.Tech, MBA post graduation degree courses.
- Even they can also opt for lucrative job options in various government sectors by clearing UPSC or IES competitive examination.
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Admission Process
B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course admission is widely done on the basis of candidate’s performance in the entrance exam followed by the counselling session. However, few colleges allow direct admission to this course on the basis of merit.
The step-by-step admission process applicable for B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course is mentioned in the following:
Merit Based Admission
- The aspiring candidates can easily apply for this course through both online and offline. You can collect the application form directly from the college premises.
- In case of merit-based admission, the colleges qualify the candidates on their score secured at their 10+2 level.
- After checking all applications, the college authority will publish a merit list. If you clear the cut-off rank, then you are eligible for admission.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
Most common and popular national-level/state-level entrance exams obtained for B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course admission are JEE Mains, MH CET, WBJEE etc. However, some institutes also conduct their own set of entrance exams. Here we have to provide the guideline applicable for entrance exam-based admission process:
- After announcement of the registration dates of the entrance exam, the candidates have to create your own account with some of your basic details, like email id, phone number, password etc.
- Fill up the application form carefully and must ensure all your details are accurate and correct, otherwise the application will be rejected.
- Scan and upload all required details, like mark sheets, certificate, id proof, signature, photographs etc. in the specified format as mentioned in the online application portals.
- During the submission of the application form, you need to pay some minimal application fee through online and offline mode.
- Once all applicants are judged for eligibility, the college committee will release the admit cards for the eligible candidates. Download the admit card and get a print copy for appearing in the date of examination.
- Within a few days after the examination, the results will be announced. The qualifying candidates are then switched for the next round, counselling session.
- During this counselling period, the candidates have to choose the college based on their rankings, verify the documents and pay the course fee for the final admission process.
|B.Tech Colleges in Tamil Nadu||B.Tech Colleges in West Bengal||B.Tech Colleges in MAHARASHTRA||B.Tech Colleges in ORISSA|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering may differ from one institute to another. To be eligible for B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course study, the candidates need to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- The aspirants must have cleared their 10+2 level or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects from a recognized educational board or council.
- The minimum qualifying aggregate score required in the 10+2 board examination is 55% and above.
- Candidates having diploma in Metallurgical Engineering, after class 10, can also opt for this course through lateral entry.
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Entrance Exams
There are a number of entrance exams held every year for getting admission into the B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering program. These entrance exams are held at the national-level, state level or university level. Here we have mentioned a few of the top B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering entrance exams of India
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|JEE Mains||Check Here|
|JEE Advanced||Check Here|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: How to Prepare for Entrance Exams?
For better preparation and to perform well in the entrance examination, the candidates need to follow the below-mentioned tips:
- While preparing for the test, you should have a clear understanding about the exam syllabus. Download the full syllabus from the official website of the respective colleges.
- You should have a clear idea about the exam pattern. The entrance exam pattern may change every year.
- Most of the B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering entrance exams consist of MCQ type questions and have negative markings on wrong answers. So, be careful while answering.
- Clear up the basics first and then move to the tough chapters. Learn some tricky processes to answer your questions quickly.
- Prepare a strict time table. Schedule the time-frame for each subject and try to follow them. Must remember that the entire syllabus should be covered once in a year.
- Regular practice and mock tests enhance your confidence level and help you to perform well in the test. Attempt at least 25-30 mock tests before appearing for the entrance exam.
- Solve previous year question papers and sample question sets to have a better understanding of the exam pattern.
- You can follow the most recommended books and take proper coaching, even you can get online classes for preparing well.
See more: BTech Metallurgical Engineering Cutoff
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: How to get Admission into a Good College?
In order to get admitted into a good B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering college, the candidates need to keep the following pointers in mind:
- Scroll down the top B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering colleges available in India and make a list of the colleges based on their ease of access, geographical location, course fee etc.
- Most of the colleges allow admission to this course on the basis of entrance exam performance or based on merit.
- In case of entrance-based admission, the candidates must have a good score at any national/state-level entrance exam or exams conducted by the college itself.
- Being well prepared for the entrance exam. Candidates should start preparing for the exam one year before appearing.
- You can check the course curriculum offered by the colleges of your choice. Must have an updated knowledge about the eligibility criteria and admission process. You can also go through their official website to get more detailed information.
- Must apply for the course before closing the application window, otherwise the college authority will reject your application.
- You should have a clear knowledge about the placement scenario of the colleges you are willing to apply to. Must have an idea about the average CTC package offered to the last year candidates.
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Syllabus
B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course syllabus may differ from institute to institute. However, the overall subjects may remain the same.
The semester-wise course breakup for the entire 4 year duration is tabulated in the following:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Mathematics-IN||Strength of Materials|
|Engineering Mechanics||Heat Engineering|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer||Numerical Analysis|
|Geology and Minerals Beneficiation||Material Science|
|Electrical Technology||Thermodynamics of Materials|
|Mathematics-IIIN||Testing of Materials|
|Engineering Sciences Course||Fuels and Combustion|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Deformation and Fracture Behavior of Materials||Steel Making|
|Physical Metallurgy-I||Foundry Metallurgy|
|Iron Making||Extraction of Non-ferrous Metals|
|Chemical Kinetics and Mass Transfer||Solid state Phase Transformation Processes|
|Electro-Chemistry and Corrosion||Physics of Metals|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Alloy Steel Making and Ferroalloys||X-ray Diffraction|
|Metal Working Processes||Industrial Management and Engineering Economics|
|Material Engineering||Metal Joining and Powder Metallurgy|
|Elective I||Elective II|
|Theory of Metallurgical Processes||Advanced Characterization|
|Light Metals and Alloys||Coating Technology|
|Composite Materials||Nanostructured Materials|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Important Books
Listed below some of the most popular books that helps the students to have a broad understanding in B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Engineering Materials and Metallurgy||R.K. Rajput|
|Metallurgy of Welding||J.F. Lancaster|
|Physical Metallurgy||Prof. Vijendra Singh|
|Introduction to the Thermodynamics of Materials||David Gaskell|
|Powder Metallurgy Technology||G.S. Upadhyaya|
|Industrial Maintenance and Mechatronics||Shawn A. Ballee|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: List of Top Colleges
Listed below some of the top-notch colleges in India offering B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course:
|College Name||Course Fee||Average Annual Salary|
|Indian Institute of Technology||INR 90,000||INR 16,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology||INR 90,000||INR 13,00,000|
|Bengal Engineering College||INR 1,37,000||INR 3,20,000|
|National Institute of Technology||INR 70,000||INR 7,78,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology||INR 90,000||INR 14,00,000|
|Birsa Institute of Technology||INR 28,000||INR 6,47,000|
|College of Engineering||INR 75,000||INR 10,00,000|
|Coimbatore Institute of Technology||INR 55,000||INR 4,99,000|
|Jain University||INR 1,60,000||INR 4,16,000|
|National Institute of Technology||INR 70,000||INR 8,00,000|
|Kakatiya University||INR 26,650||INR 3,00,000|
|Government Engineering College||INR 1,500||INR 2,50,000|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: College Comparison
Here we mentioned the basic comparison among the top three B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering colleges in India:
|College Name||College of Engineering||Bengal Engineering College||Kakatiya University|
|NIRF Rank 2020||50||21||101|
|Overview||This autonomous institute is affiliated to Savitribai Phule Pune University. The college offers UG, PG, PG Diploma, PhD courses in various disciplines.||It is the second oldest engineering college in India. The institute offers 45 UG, PG and PhD courses in Engineering, Management, Science and Architecture disciplines.||It is an UGC accredited public university that offers various UG, PG courses in Engineering, Management, Computer Science programs.|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 level in Science stream with at least 55% aggregate score||10+2 level board examination with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics along with minimum 45% aggregate||10+2 level with PCM as main subjects with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||JEE Main/ MH CET||JEE Main||Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 75,000||INR 1,37,000||INR 26,650|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 10,00,000||INR 3,20,000||INR 3,00,000|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Course Comparison
B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering and B.Tech Chemical Engineering both are academic and professional courses. Here we provide a comparison study between these two courses based on the major important parameters:
Check out the top B.Tech Chemical Engineering colleges in India
|Parameters||B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering||B.Tech Chemical Engineering|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology Metallurgical Engineering||Bachelor of Technology Chemical Engineering|
|Duration||4 Years||4 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 level with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects from a recognized board with minimum 55% aggregate score||Class 12 or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from a recognized university with minimum 50% aggregate score|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam Based. Merit Based in few cases||Entrance Exam. Merit Based in few cases|
|Course Fee||INR 30,000-2,00,000||INR 3,00,000-9,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,50,000-12,00,000||INR 2,50,000-7,00,000|
|Top Colleges||IIT Roorkee, NIT Durgapur, College of Engineering Pune, Kakatiya University, Bengal Engineering College, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Birsa Institute of Technology etc.||IIT Madras, IIT Kharagpur, NIT Trichy, Vellore Institute of Technology, NIT Roorkee, NIT Warangal, IIT Varanasi, IIT Hyderabad etc.|
|Job Roles||Metallurgy Engineer, Metallurgy Production Manager, Welding Engineer, Project Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Research Assistant, Maintenance Engineer etc.||Chemical Engineer, Technical Service Engineer, Fire & Safety Officer, Chemical System Coordinator, Chemical Process Engineer etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Railways, Metallurgical and Chemical labs, Hardware Companies, Airlines, Iron and steel companies etc.||Educational Institutes, Chemical Industry, Textile Industry, Oil and Gas Industry, Chemical Research labs etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited, Hindalco Limited, Hindustan Copper Limited, Tata Iron & Steel Company, SAIL etc.||ONGC, Coal India, Geological Survey of India, HCL, IPCL, NALCO, TISCO, TELCO, Reliance, Neyveli Lignite Corp. etc.|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Job Profiles
Some of the most common and popular jobs and career options are mentioned in the following with respective job description and average annual salary:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Project Engineer||Their main responsibility is to schedule preparation, pre-planning and provide resource forecasting for different engineering and technical activities related to the ongoing project.||INR 3,41,900|
|Research Assistant||They actually assist in any kind of academic research performed in various institutes or research labs.||INR 3,01,500|
|Metallurgy Engineer||They are responsible for designing metal parts and control processes through which the metals are being shaped. They have to develop the processed metal into various useful applications.||INR 3,14,769|
|Project Manager||A Project Manager is responsible for the overall planning and management of the project and ensuring that they are completed within budget in a timely manner.||INR 5,50,000|
|Assistant Engineer||An Assistant Engineer is a professional who provides assistance to Senior Engineer through designing, developing and executing projects.||INR 5,00,000|
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: Future Scope
On successful completion of B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course, the students who wish to pursue further higher studies instead of being avail job opportunities can opt for the following courses:
M.Tech: Candidates who are willing to continue further higher studies in the same field of education, the students can opt for M.Tech Process Metallurgy course. It is a 2-year postgraduate degree program that helps the students to get advanced knowledge on Metallurgical Engineering aspects.
Also check out the top M.Tech Process Metallurgy colleges in India
MBA: If the student wants to continue their study in the managerial field, then he/she can opt for studying MBA or PGDM degree course. This 2-year management degree program helps the students to get job roles in Managerial Position in any top-notch organizations.
Competitive Exams: After completing this course study, the candidates seek jobs in various government sector jobs. The students need to appear for popular Civil Service examinations, like IES, IAS, IFS, NDA, Indian Railways etc to get a high-paid job in reputed government organizations.
BTech Metallurgical Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering?
Ans. B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course is a 4-year long undergraduate degree program comprising 8 semesters.
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility criteria for this course study?
Ans. The minimum eligibility criteria applicable for this course study is that the students must have completed their 10+2 level from any recognized board/ council with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as main subjects. They must secure a minimum 55% aggregate score at this level.
Ques. What is the admission process?
Ans. Admission to B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course is mostly done on the basis of entrance exam performance followed by counselling session. However, few colleges offer direct admission on the basis of merit.
Ques. Which are the most popular B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering entrance exams applicable for this course admission?
Ans. Some of the most common yet popular national/state level or university level entrance exams obtained for B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course admission are JEE Main, JEE Advanced, WBJEE, MHT CET etc.
Ques. Which are the top B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering colleges in India?
Ans. Some of the reputed B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering colleges in India are as follows:
- Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee
- National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
- College of Engineering, Pune
- Kakatiya University, Warangal
- Government Engineering College, Bhuj
- Bengal Engineering College, Howrah etc.
Ques. What is the average course fee applicable for this course study?
Ans. The average tuition fee charged by the top-most B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering colleges in India typically ranges between INR 30,000-2,00,000 ,based on the type of institute.
Ques. What after B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering course?
Ans. After completing this course study, the students will get employed as a Metallurgy Engineer, Metallurgy Production Manager, Welding Engineer, Project Engineer, Assistant Engineer, Research Assistant, Maintenance Engineer etc.
Ques. What is the average CTC for B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering students?
Ans. B.Tech Metallurgical Engineering degree holders can easily earn an average starting salary of INR 3,50,000-12,00,000 per annum on the basis of their skills and expertise in the related field.