BTech Textile Technology or Bachelor of Technology in Textile Technology is a 4 year undergraduate Textile Engineering course.
See more: BTech Textile Technology Colleges in India
The course deals with the application of scientific and engineering principles to the design and control of all aspects of fiber, textile, and apparel processes, products, and machinery.
Some of the subjects taught in this discipline are Mathematics, Engineering Graphics, Chemistry for Technologists, Physics for Technologists, Engineering Mechanics etc.
To be eligible for B.Tech Textile Technology course the student should pass 10+2 (Science stream a must) or its equivalent from any recognized board.
The admission to the B.Tech Textile Technology course is based on 12th percentage. Some universities and colleges also conduct their own entrance exam for admission which is followed by a round of counselling.
The course fees vary with respect to one institute to another institute. The average course fee for the B.Tech Textile Technology is up to INR 7, 00,000 per annum.
The graduates of B.Tech Textile Technology course enjoy a large number of job opportunities through campus placements itself, during the final year of the course such as Aerospace Engineer, CAD Technician, Design Engineer, Maintenance Engineer, Manufacturing System Engineer, Materials Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Automotive Engineer etc.
The average annual salary for the graduate of B.Tech Textile Technology course ranges from INR 2,50,000 to INR 40,00,000 for higher ranking colleges (IITs, NITs etc.), placement packages ranges from INR 6,00,000 to as high as INR 1,50,00,000 for the deserving candidates.
The graduates will have an opportunity to study further to get M.Tech Textile Technology and Ph.D. or MBA.
BTech Textile Technology: Course Highlights
The major highlights for B.Tech Textile Technology degree program are provided in the table given below:
|Course||B.Tech Textile Technology|
|Full form||Bachelor of Technology in Textile Technology|
|Eligibility||Minimum 55% in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the main subjects.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by counselling|
|Average tuition fee||Up to INR 7,00,000|
|Job Positions||Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Software Developer, Mechanical Engineer, Systems Engineer, IT Support, Associate Software Engineer etc. as Associate / Fully Fledged.|
|Top recruiting areas||Malls, Colleges & Universities, Retailing Sector, Silk Factory, Dying Units, Showrooms, Fashion Companies, Textile Research Centres etc.|
|Top recruiting companies||Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Infosys Limited, HCL Technologies Ltd., Accenture, Capgemini, HP, Intel, etc|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 to 10,00,000|
BTech Textile Technology: What is it About?
B. Tech in Textile Technology is a professional undergraduate degree programme that can be pursued by the students after the completion of class 12 with the science stream.
- B.Tech in Textile Technology in a 4-year undergraduate degree to provide world-class education in textile technology for the students who wish to pursue their career in the textile industry.
- In this year of the program, you will study from polymer science, fiber manufacturing process to fabric manufacturing and finishing process.
- You will also study some mathematics and applied for mechanics courses.
- You will get to learn about the different types of manufacturing plants of the textile goods and apparel industry, machinery, and management of the plants.
- You will also learn about the characteristic techniques, chemical processing, finishing, and nanotechnology.
- In 2nd year of the college, you will study some introductory courses of fiber properties and different types of the fiber manufacturing process.
- You will also learn about the different processes for yarn and fabric manufacturing.
Why Study BTech Textile Technology?
Some of the reasons to pursue B.Tech Textile Technology course are as follows.
- It helps inculcate in the students an awareness of the erstwhile needs and requirements of the world and channel their analytical and technical prowess to solve problems amidst constraints and effective resource allocation.
- The curriculum of the B.Tech course includes professional subjects specific to the course of pursuance of the specific aspirants while educating them in the nitty-gritty of the technical aspects of the course.
- The B.Tech Textile Technology course also helps in further studies such as M.E. /M.Tech. M.Phil., Ph.D., etc.
- Textile technology degree is also beneficial to provide you with the skills and knowledge needed for a professional career in the fashion and textile industries, including sportswear and performance apparel, interior textiles, automotive textiles, and advanced technical materials.
- The course provides you with a firm grounding in textile materials and processes and allows the graduates to work in the comprehensive development of textile products and industrial garments, projects which involve linear textile structures and non-woven fabrics and treatment and finishing operations for textiles and biopolymers.
BTech Textile Technology: Admission Process
In B.Tech Textile Technology degree, students are mainly selected on the basis of the 10+2 score or there are special BTech entrance examinations conducted by few institutes such as JEE Mains which are conducted once in a year followed by JEE Advanced.
- Most of the colleges and universities follow entrance exams and Personal Interviews for final selection.
- Few colleges admit students based on their performance in 10+2 level.
- Some colleges and universities also offer lateral entry to the B.Tech Textile Technology course.
- The application forms for the entrance tests are released mostly in December/ January.
- After the declaration of the result of the entrance exam, the admission authority conducts counselling sessions where students are allotted colleges based on their rank in the entrance test.
BTech Textile Technology: Eligibility Criteria
The B.Tech Textile Technology aspirants need to fulfil certain eligibility criteria provided below to apply for this course:
- Aspiring students should have passed the 12th exam with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics or equivalent with minimum 55% marks.
- Some reputed colleges and institutes conduct an entrance examination for admission.
BTech Textile Technology: Entrance Exams
Most of the colleges and universities offer admissions on the basis of the entrance test and release their own cut-off. Admission for the B.Tech Textile Technology course is based on merit-list and entrance-exam. Some of the entrance exams are mentioned below:
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|JEE Mains||Check Here|
|JEE Advanced||Check Here|
BTech Textile Technology: How to Prepare for Entrance Exams?
Here are a few familiar preparation tips candidates should follow to clear the entrance exams for B.Tech Textile Technology:
- Knowledge of the exam paper pattern: The paramount step in preparing well for the entrance exam is a deep-rooted understanding and comprehension of the paper pattern and the syllabus.
- Effective time management: Focus points should be kept in mind, with particular emphasis on weaker subjects and the daily practice of numerical problems.
- Enrolling in coaching institutes: A coaching class and a tutor especially for clearing the entrance exam is a bonus as the teacher will help the students in focusing on the weaker zones and will aid in practice and comprehension of topics.
- Practice makes perfect: Candidates should practice and revise before the exam so that it reduces the unnecessary pressure one day before the examination.
- Read Newspaper: Reading the newspaper on a regular basis will be helpful for the General Knowledge section which has 30 questions.
See more: BTech Textile Technology CutOff
BTech Textile Technology: How to get Admission in a Good College?
Candidates who wish to get admission in the best college or university of B.Tech Textile Technology then they should smartly plan their schedule and get prepared to clear the entrance exam.
- A good preparation for the entrance exam is always a plus point
- Preparation must be started after the announcement of application fill up that doubles up the chances of doing well in the entrance exam.
- For the interview as well as the Current Affairs part candidate should read the newspaper on a daily basis and check the current global affairs.
- Checking the course curriculum, regular and visiting faculty as well exposure, internship will help the candidate to sort out the best college for them.
BTech Textile Technology: Syllabus
The entire syllabus is divided into 8 semesters. Semester wise breakdown of syllabus is given below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Technical English I||Technical English II|
|Mathematics I||Mathematics II|
|Engineering Physics||Physics for Technologists|
|Engineering Chemistry||Chemistry for Technologists|
|Computing Techniques||Engineering Mechanics|
|Engineering Graphics||Principles of Electrical and Electronics Engineering|
|Physics Laboratory||Applied Physics Lab|
|Chemistry Laboratory||Applied Chemistry Lab|
|Computer Practices Laboratory||Electrical and Electronics Lab|
|Engineering Practices Laboratory||-|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Probability and Statistics||Numerical Methods|
|Environmental Science and Engineering||Solid Mechanics for Technologists|
|Fundamentals of Polymer Chemistry||Technology of Woven Fabric Manufacturer|
|Technology of Pre-Spinning Process||Technology of Yarn Spinning|
|Technology of Pre-Weaving Process||Characteristics of Textile Fibres II|
|Characteristics of Textile Fibres I||Fabric Structure|
|Fibre Science Lab||Spinning Process Lab II|
|Spinning Process Lab I||Cloth Analysis Lab|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Chemical Processing of Textile Materials I||Chemical Processing of Textile Materials II|
|Knitting Technology||Garment Manufacturing Technology|
|Process control in spinning||Mechanics of Textile Machinery|
|Quality Evaluation of Fibres and Yarns||Fabric Quality Evaluation|
|Technology of Manufactured Fibre Production||Financial Management for Textile and Apparel Industries|
|Practical||Technology of Bonded Fabrics|
|Fabric Manufacture Lab||Textile Chemical Processing Lab|
|Fibre and Yarn Quality Evaluation Lab||Fabric Quality Evaluation Lab|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Structural Mechanics of Fabrics||Elective II|
|Structural Mechanics of Yarns||Elective III|
|Operations Research for Textile Industry||Project work|
|Total Quality Management for Textile Industry||-|
BTech Textile Technology: Top Colleges
B.Tech Textile Technology is taught at a number of top-notch colleges in India. Here, we have mentioned some of the most popular B.Tech Textile Technology Colleges of India.
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|Osmania University, Hyderabad||INR 10,000||INR 4,50,000|
|DKTE Society’s Textile and Engineering Institute, Kolhapur||INR 1,01,000||INR 1,20,000|
|Shri Guru Gobind Singhji Institute of Engineering and Technology, Nanded||INR 86,643||INR 3,00,000 to 5,00,000|
|SSM College of Engineering, Namakkal||INR 75,000||INR 4,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Uttar Pradesh Textile Technology Institute, Kanpur||INR 1,03,900||INR 7,50,000|
|PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore||INR 87,000||INR 1,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi||INR 2,24,900||INR 16,00,000|
|Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore||INR 50,000||INR 3,25,000|
|Dr. B.R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar||INR 88,000||INR 8,57,000|
|Alagappa College of Technology, Chennai||INR 57,160||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000|
BTech Textile Technology: College Comparison
Some of the top institutes according to the NIRF 2020 ranking for pursuing B.Tech Textile Technology courses are described in the table below.
|Parameter||PSG College of Technology||Indian Institute of Technology||Kumaraguru College of Technology|
|Overview||PSG College of Technology offers Bachelor and Master Degrees in various technical Disciplines of Science. The College provides courses for B.Sc. in Applied Science, Computer System & Design and M.Sc. in Applied Mathematics.||Indian Institute of Technology is one of the 23 IITs created to be centers of excellence for the research, training, and development in science stream, engineering, and technology in India.||Kumaraguru College of Technology is an Engineering College which was established in the year 1984 by Ramanandha Adigalar Foundation, a charitable educational trust of Sakthi Group.|
|NIRF 2020 ranking||85||3||101|
|Location||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu||New Delhi, Delhi||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average annual fees||INR 87,000||INR 2,24,900||INR 50,000|
|Average annual package||INR 1,00,000 to 6,00,000||INR 16,00,000||INR 3,25,000|
|Top recruiters||Accenture, IBM, HCL, Amazon, Intel, Goldman Sachs, Cognizant, MU Sigma etc.||IBM, PwC, Infosys, Qualcomm, Cisco, ITC, HT Media Limited, KPMG, Deloitte etc.||Accenture, Honeywell, HP, Standard Chartered, Sube, Syntel, L&T InfoTech etc.|
BTech Textile Technology: Course Comparison
Below we have listed some of the key differences between B.Tech Textile Technology and B.Tech Textile Engineering courses in India.
|Course||B.Tech Textile Technology||B.Tech Textile Engineering|
|Full form||Bachelor of Technology in Textile Technology||Bachelor of Technology in Textile Engineering|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Course Overview||B.Tech. Textile Technology courses stress on creative explorations from concept to prototype developed through various stages of further explorations and refinement.||This course provides an adequate amount of basic knowledge on machinery and other various technologies deployed in textile engineering using which research can be carried out by the Textile Engineers for the betterment of textile manufacturing.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 55% in 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as the main subjects.||50% in 10+2 from a recognized board in India|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by counselling||Merit based/ Entrance exam|
|Average tuition fee||Up to INR 7,00,000||INR 25,000 - 2,00,000|
|Job Positions||Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Software Developer, Mechanical Engineer, Systems Engineer, IT Support, Associate Software Engineer etc. as Associate / Fully Fledged.||Textile Technologists, Process Engineer, Quality Control Supervisor, Medical Textile Engineer, Development Engineer etc.|
|Top recruiting areas||Malls, Colleges & Universities, Retailing Sector, Silk Factory, Dying Units, Showrooms, Fashion Companies, Textile Research Centres etc.||Textile Companies, Dyeing Units, Retailing Sector, Fashion Companies, Research Centres (textile) etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2,00,000 - 10,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - 6,00,000|
BTech Textile Technology: Job Profiles
Some of the popular professional avenues open for the successful graduates/ postgraduates of the B.Tech Textile Technology course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Description||Average Salary|
|Fiber Artist||Fiber artists are responsible for creating crafts, quilts, wearable clothing and fine textile art from natural and synthetic fibers and fabrics.||INR 4,00,000|
|Retail Buyer||Retail buyers are responsible for selecting and purchasing clothes that will be sold in stores to consumers. Those candidates who are employed by large companies usually specialize in men's, women's or children's apparel.||INR 10,00,000|
|Fashion or Clothing Designer||Fashion or Clothing Designer in the fashion industry is responsible for creating and assisting in the production of men's, women's and children's apparel.||INR 9,00,000|
|Textile designers||Textile designers are responsible for making decisions concerning the fibers, colors and patterns used to make fabrics for clothing, furniture and homewares.||INR 5,00,000|
|Developer||As a developer, the aspirants can work on the crux and vital aspects for organizational growth like the website, app development etc.||INR 5,01,874|
BTech Textile Technology: Future Scope
After pursuing a B.Tech Textile Technology, one has a wide range of opportunities and career options in the specified field.
- You will also get the opportunity to work with computer software designers and fashion designers. Thus you gain a lot of experiences in other sectors too
- In future you can transfer your skills to alternative career options by pursuing MBA.
- Candidates can also further dive into MTech Textile Technology by giving the GATE exam.
BTech Textile Technology: FAQs
Ques. What is the full form of B.Tech Textile Technology?
Ques. What is Textile Technology?
Ques. What are some of the subjects taught in B.Tech Textile Technology course?
Ques. What are the job prospects after B.Tech Textile Technology?
Many job offers are made and the profiles offered are Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Software Developer, Mechanical Engineer, Systems Engineer, IT Support, Associate Software Engineer etc. as Associate / Fully Fledged.
Ques. What is the duration of the B.Tech Textile Technology course and how many semesters are there?
Ques. What is the average fee required to pursue B.Tech Textile Technology?
Ques. What are the further study options available after the completion of B.Tech Textile Technology degree programme?
Ques. Name some of the entrance tests for admission to B.Tech Textile Technology?