Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is a course that is pursued after class 10. The course focuses on imparting professional specialisation in the field of designing. The course includes the application of laws of physics for design, analysis and manufacturing of mechanical systems.
Students who choose the course are taught to form and collect motors and structures, control plants and vehicles of all sizes, understand concepts of mechanics, kinetics, hydraulics , energy and vitality.
Anyone who possesses excellent mechanical engineering and technical drawing skills can apply for the course. The new curriculum of course also requires students to know a certain set of computer skills for designing machines and equipment.
Candidates must pass class 10 or class 12 with physics, chemistry and mathematics as subjects of study. The candidate must score good marks like above 50% in the board exams to have a proper chance of getting admission in a college of his choice.
Read About Top Engineering Entrance Exams in India
The Top Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Colleges in India along with the NIRF Rankings, Fees and average placements are given in the table below.
|NIRF Engineering Rankings||College Name||Fees||Placements|
|35||Amity University||INR 6,15,000||INR 3,50,000|
|105||VJTI||INR 37,251||INR 6,80,000|
|117||Chandigarh University||INR 5,07,000||INR 3,20,000|
|125||Lovely Professional University||INR 59000||INR 4,20,000|
|200+||BFIT Group of Institutions||INR 1,05,000||INR 3,00,000|
The average tuition fee of Diploma in Mechanical Engineering ranges from INR 3 lac to INR 10 lac.
The average placements for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering ranges from INR 2.5 lac per annum to INR 5 lac per annum.
There are a lot of job prospects after Diploma in Mechanical Engineering like Mechanical Engineer, Professor, Mechanic, Manufacturing Managers and many others.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Admission Process
The admission process is mostly merit based, based on class 10 Board Exam. But there are certain colleges that take in students based on entrance exams like Chandigarh University. Thus there are two modes of entry for a diploma in mechanical engineering, they are merit based and entrance based. The process for entrance based admission process is:
- Some Institutes/Colleges depend on a Common Entrance Exam taken by a government body or a body under the government.
- Every state has their own exams and their own eligibility criteria to give that exam.
- Students will have to get the qualifying marks in order to get admission in such a college.
- After the test, a merit list will be published listing the candidates that have passed the examination.
- After the final admission process and submission of fees, the student is required to register himself in the institute for the academic year.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Eligibility
A student can get admission for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering after his class 10 boards or 12 boards according to his choice. The eligibility requirements of both are stated below:
- Candidates must have passed 10th grade from any recognized Board with a minimum aggregate score of 55%.
- Candidate with a 10th passing certificate and a Certificate in Motorcycle Service and Repair (CMSR)
- Candidates must have passed 12th grade with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as main subjects, and must have obtained a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates).
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Entrance Exams
Almost all states in India conduct Entrance Exams for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering admissions. Some of the admission examinations along with the state they are conducted in, eligibility and last date to apply for these exams are mentioned below.
|Exam Name||State||Eligibility||Last Date to Apply|
|AP POLYCET||Andhra Pradesh||
||April 21, 2020|
||April 17, 2020|
||April 30, 2020|
||April 20, 2020|
||April 17, 2020|
Some other Entrance Exams that are available for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering are:
- Jharkhand Polytechnic Entrance Competitive Exam (Jharkhand PECE)
- Kerala Polytechnic College Admission Test
- Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education Polytechnic Entrance (MSBTE)
- Madhya Pradesh Pre Polytechnic Test (MP PPT)
- Odisha Diploma Entrance Test (Odisha DET)
Preparation tips for entrance exams
Listed below are some preparation tips to help you clear these top diploma in mechanical engineering entrance exams.
- Check the Syllabus: The first and foremost thing to do before starting preparation for any entrance exam is to check the full syllabus of the exam. It is impossible to study for something if you do not know what to study.
- Time Table: Make a timetable that is appropriate for your own study. Here, the best judge for you is you yourself. Make sure that you follow the timetable you make, otherwise there is no point making it.
- Revision Notes: While preparing, make notes about important topics so that you can go through them later.
- Preparation Books & Material: To prepare well for the exam, make sure you have the best study material which suits you. Select a book that you understand. There are many books available in the market that might help you
- Sample Papers & Mock Tests: Make sure that you have solved as many sample papers as you can. We suggest that you must solve at least 10 of the mock tests.
- Mental Health: Apart from taking time for these studies, students should eat and sleep properly. Physical and mental refreshment is required to study.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: Course Highlights
The highlights of Diploma in Mechanical Engineering which states the course level, duration exam type, eligibility, admission process and other informations are mentioned below:
|Exam Type||Semester/Year wise|
|Eligibility||Class 10 Pass with 55% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit based/ Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee||INR 10000-5 lacs|
|Average Salary||INR 3-20 Lac|
|Top Recruiters||Samsung, Tech Mahindra,L&T Limited,TCS, Mahindra and Mahindra, TATA Power, Oracle, ACCENTURE, Just Dial, Oracle, TATA Consultancy Services, Vivo Mobile, Google, Amazon Flipkart, Samsung, Wipro, Bajaj, Hero, Leyland, Ford, Honda BARC, BHEL, NTPC, ISRO,Aban group, Nura Engineering Pvt. Ltd|
|Job Positions||Assistant Manager, Mechanical Engineering, Process Development Technologist, Section Head, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineer, Sales Engineer, Technician, Assistant Professor, Engineering Trainee, Manufacturing Manager, Professor, etc.|
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: What is it about?
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is just an extension of the various domains of engineering. The course deals with the application of principles of mechanical systems.
- It seeks to provide more accessible and quality education. The course touches each and every aspect of working of vehicle engines, watercraft, aircraft, warming and cooling frameworks, industrial equipment and machinery, robotics.
- Apart from this, the course touches the concepts of mechanics, kinetics, fluid mechanics, energy and many more.
The comparison between Diploma in Mechanical Engineering and Diploma in Civil Engineering on the basis of course fee, eligibility, job positions and gender ratio is given below:
|Parameter||Diploma in Mechanical Engineering||Diploma in Civil Engineering|
|Focus||It is a field of engineering that involves the application of the standards of Material Science for Investigation, Planning, Assembling, Upkeep of mechanical frameworks.||It is a field of engineering which specializes in the design, construction, and maintenance of physical and naturally-built environments, such as roads, bridges, canals, dams and buildings.|
|Course Fee||Government College: INR 10000-50000 Private College: INR 3 lac to 5 lac||Government College: INR 10,000 - 50,000 Private College: INR 3 lac - 5 lac|
|Eligibility||10th with minimum 55% aggregate marks||10th with minimum 50% marks|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3 to 7 lacs per annum||INR 3 to 6 lacs per annum|
|Job Positions||Assist. Manager, Process Development Technologist, Section Head, Mechanical Engineer, Sales Engineer, Technician, Assistant Professor, Trainee||Assistant Manager, Assistant Field Inspector, Construction Site Assistant Supervisor, Assist. Faculty Member, Executive Engineer|
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: Why Study?
- A Diploma course in Mechanical Engineering deals with the application of principles of mechanical systems.
- The course teaches various academic and practical aspects related to the domain to the students in a gradual manner.
- It gives you a chance to enter into the workforce just after 3 years of passing class 10.
- The student has the chance to do further studies down the line to add value to his Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
The detailed semester wise syllabus of Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is stated below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Engineering Mathematics||Engineering Mathematics||Manufacturing Engineering|
|Engineering Physics||Applied Mechanics||Fluid Mechanics|
|Engineering Drawing/Graphics||Material Science||Thermodynamics|
|Workshop (Practical)||Mechanical Drafting||Strength of Materials|
|Communication Skills||Basic Civil Engineering||Applied Electronics and Electrical Engineering|
|-||-||CADD (Computer-Aided Machine Design and Drawing)|
|Semester 4||Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Manufacturing Engineering||Thermal Engineering||Computer-Aided Manufacturing|
|Thermal Engineering||Design of Machine Elements||Tool Engineering|
|Theory of Machines||Manufacturing Engineering||Industrial Manufacturing|
|CADD||Industrial Design||Elective Subjects|
|Metrology and Instrumentation||Cost Estimating and Contracting||Project Work|
|Plant Maintenance and Safety||Elective Subject||-|
Project work is a very important part of the curriculum. Last two semesters have a special focus on project work which helps the student to implement their knowledge and skills.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Colleges
The table given below shows a comparison between some of the top colleges offering a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering based on several parameters like admission process, average fees and average placements:
|Name of the College||Admission Process||Average Fees||Average Package Offered|
|Lovely Professional University||Merit based||INR 59,000||INR 4,20,000|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh polytechnic entrance examination||INR 5,07,000||INR 3,20,000|
|Amity University||Merit based||INR 6,15,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute||Maharashtra polytechnic admission entrance examination||INR 37,251||INR 6,80,000|
|Galgotias University||Merit based||INR 90,000||INR 6,20,000|
|School of Engineering and Technology Suresh Gyan Vihar University||GVSAT, Merit and Personal Interview||INR 1,05,000||INR 3,21,000|
|Ganga Group of Institutions-Ganga Technical Campus||DET (Diploma entrance test), conducted by Haryana government||INR 66,600||INR 3,26,000|
|Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University||Merit based||INR 1,50,000||INR 15,00,000|
|Dev Bhoomi Institute of Technology||Merit based||INR 89,600||INR 5,70,000|
The comparison of top colleges providing Diploma in Mechanical Engineering on the basis of rankings and companies visited are mentioned below. There is also a short introduction about the college and its foundations.
|Parameter||VJTI Mumbai||Amity University||Chandigarh University|
|Overview||It is among the oldest engineering institutions in India. It teaches over 60 courses based on engineering.||A private research institution established in 2005 by an Act in the State Legislature of UP. The University is recognised by the University Grants Commision and accredited with Grade A+ by NAAC||A private university founded in 2002, recognised by UGC. It is a member of the International Association of Universities and the Association of Commonwealth Universities. It is accredited A+ by NAAC.|
|NIRF Engineering Rankings||105||35||117|
|Average Placement (INR)||6,80,000||3,50,000||3,20,000|
|Companies than visit most||Samsung, Tech Mahindra, L&T, TCS, Mahindra and Mahindra, TATA Power, Oracle||Accenture, Just Dial, Oracle, TCS, Vivo Mobile, Google, Amazon, Flipkart, Samsung etc||Adobe, Oracle, Cognizant, IBM, Hyundai, NIIT, HDFC, KOTAK Securities etc|
Amity University is the best ranked engineering university that provides Diploma courses in Engineering. It is a comparatively new university but the facilities are good as well as the rankings.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: Return on Investment (ROI)
When it comes to the cost of pursuing a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, then one can not deny that the fee for the course itself can reach up to 5 lacs. Hence it becomes important to look at the ROI value before investing in any college.
Return on Investment is calculated based on the fees the college takes and the placement the college provides. It helps to calculate the value of return of the investment that the student is going to make. The higher the ROI score, the better.
|Name of the college||Return On Investment (ROI)|
|Amity university, Uttar Pradesh||0.57|
|Veermata Jijabai technological institute, Mumbai||18.37|
|Galgotias University, Noida||6.89|
|School of engineering and technology Suresh Gyan Vihar University, Jaipur||3.05|
|Ganga Group of institutions-Ganga technical campus, Delhi||4.93|
- From the above information, it can be inferred that ROI value for Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai is the highest, hence investing in this college would be worth it.
- ROI values for some other colleges like Shri Ramswaroop Memorial University, Lucknow, Galgotias University, Noida, Dev Bhoomi institute of technology, Dehradun also offer a good return on investment.
Source: Official Institute Websites
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Distance Education
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is available in many colleges and universities. Almost all the universities that provide on campus classes for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering also have Distance Education. The time is 1-3 years for distance education. Some of the colleges that provide Distance Education for Diploma in Mechanical Engineering are:
- Wisdom School of Management
- Institute of Engineering and Management Studies
- Shivani college of IT and Management
- Karnataka State Open University
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Scope
A Diploma in Mechanical Engineering is a very smart way of investing your time and money. After this course you will have two options. You can study more and join the workforce later or if it is necessary you also enter the job market immediately. Both have their equal share of advantages.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Jobs
Entering the job market is very lucrative for mechanical engineer diploma holders. India has a lot of scope for engineers which help a diploma holder find a job with ease.
About 25% of all mechanical engineers earn less than INR 20,000 per month which can rise as high as INR 50,000 per month with experience. There is an average hike of 38% after a 6-7 years experience.
An individual is expected to get a hike of 13% every 17 months.
|Profession||Job Description||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Mechanical Engineers||Mechanical Engineers plan, build, introduce, and maintain a wide range of mechanical hardware, tools and components.||6,23,904|
|Engineer||Engineering is a technical professional where the professional applies the theories and principles of Physical Sciences to plan, develop, and grow.||3,37,899|
|Professors||Professors teach students a wide range of subjects at the post-secondary level. They deliver scholarly articles, perform research, and instruct in the discipline.||9,13,657|
|Manufacturing Manager||A Manufacturing Manager works at the creation plant itself, ensuring that goods are productively made, and meet the organization's manufacturing standards.||7,18,149|
|Assistant Professor||The Assistant Professor's responsibilities include teaching a requisite number of classes, providing guidance and supervision to graduate students, participating in departmental meetings, and providing academic support to Professors and other faculty members||4,50,000|
|Consultant Mechanical||As a mechanical engineering consultant, most of your activities will revolve around solving problems in real-world scenarios. It focuses on core areas like electro-mechanical devices, instrumentation and controls, mechanical design and analysis, material science and manufacturing.||7,35,000|
Engineering is a very sought after stream in India and for good reason. It gives good returns and helps the country grow. Students studying any type of engineering will find work without much hassle. India is a growing country and She needs its engineers to pave the way forward.
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: Higher Studies
Candidates with a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering can go on pursuing some other courses to increase their skill set and professional value. One can opt for a postgraduate degree in the discipline. One can even choose to pursue a management degree in any relevant field.
A diploma holder is expected to get a hike of 24% if he completes his Bachelor's Degree. He is also expected to get a jump of 29% on his salary if he completes his masters from the same field.
A student after completing Diploma in Mechanical Engineering can go for a graduation degree. Here are some of the college that provide Engineering Degree in india:
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology
- Sri Venkateswara University
- Karunya Institute of Technological Science
- PEC University of Technology
- Dr BR Ambedkar National Institute of Technology
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What are the subjects in diploma in mechanical engineering?
Ques. What can I do after a diploma in mechanical engineering?
Ques. Can we join navy after diploma?
Ques. Is it possible to do BSC after diploma?
Ques. Which branch is best for diploma engineering?
Ques. What is the fees of diploma in mechanical engineering?
Ques. Which engineering has highest salary?
Ques. Are engineers rich?
Ques. Which engineering is best for girls?
- Computer Science and IT
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Biotech or Bioengineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering