Doctorate of Medicine (DM) Neurology is a 3-year super-specialty post-doctorate course in the field of medicine. The course is inspected and approved by the Medical Council of India.As a minimum criterion of eligibility, such aspirants need to have completed Doctor of Medicine (MD) in any branch of medicine.
Top Institutes offering this course are:
- Stanley Medical College, Chennai
- Government Medical College, Kerela
- Allahabad University, Allahabad
- Gauhati Medical College and Sciences, Guwahati
- Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow
The average course fee charged in India ranges between INR 50,000 - 2 lacs for the total duration.
Admission to the course is on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test.
Neurology relates to ailments concerning the nervous system. It is often considered the most complex branch of medicine as it relates to the brain and nervous system directly. It requires several rigorous years of study and dedication. Major components of the course consist of Neuroanatomy, Neurophysiology, Pediatric Neurology, Neuro Radiology, Neuro-ophthalmology, Neuro Biochemistry, Neuropathology, Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology, Neuro Pharmacology, and such.
Practical components of the course include rigorous clinical training, seminars, journal clubs, bedside clinics, interdepartmental meetings. Candidates have imparted skills in diagnosing and providing therapeutic interventions to treat diseases and treating diseases concerned with the central nervous system of the human body. The average annual salary offered to successful postgraduates of this field lies between INR 10-15 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Doctorate of Medicine [DM] (Neurology)
DM Neurology: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course.
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MD/MS from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Direct admission to colleges. Entrance test in some cases.|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 2 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 10-15 lacs|
|Top Recruiting Organizations'||Medanta Hospital, Apollo Super Speciality Hospital, AIIMS, GMC, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas'||Neuro Centers, Hospitals, Clinics, Research Centers, Academics, and such.|
|Top Job Profiles||Neurologist, Neuro Physician, Neuro Surgeon, among others.|
DM Neurology: What is it About?
Neurology is the study of nerves and is a medical specialty related to the human nervous system. This is a specialized branch of medicine which studies the ailments of the nervous system components like the brain, spinal cord and related tissues and muscles.
such professionals are responsible for diagnosing, treating, and managing patients suffering from disorders of the nervous system, brain trauma, stroke, multiple sclerosis, Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
DM Neurology: Who should opt?
Candidates for the course would ideally possess:
- a caring personality and humble attitude.
- good communication skills to convey their research findings and discussing treatment plans with other medical staff.
- good eye-hand coordination.
- ability to work long, irregular hours in high-stress medical environments.
- good managerial skills.
- problem-solving abilities.
- observational, listening and inquisitive attitude.
- reading, enquiring and researching habits to find solutions to difficult issues.
- time-management and teamworking skills.
Top Institutes offering DM Neurology
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by each.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees per annum in INR|
|Institute of Human Behavior and Allied Sciences||New Delhi||8,560|
|Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research||Chandigarh||3,370|
|Smt. N H L Municipal Medical College||Ahmedabad||4.18 lacs|
|Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute||Bangalore||66,700|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences||New Delhi||2,550|
|Amrita School of Medicine||Kochi||12 lacs|
|Baba Farid University of Health Sciences||Faridkot||1.52 lacs|
|Bombay Hospital and Institute of Medical Sciences||Mumbai||64,400|
|Dayanand Medical College and Hospital||Ludhiana||6 lacs|
|Gandhi Medical College||Kozhikode||24,000|
Eligibility for DM Neurology
Candidates aspiring for admission to the course are required to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria.
- Post-graduation (MD), completed from an institute recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) or any of the State Medical Councils.
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% (50% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the level of post-graduation.
- 1- year compulsory rotating internship.
- Preferably, a minimum of 12 months of professional experience, as most reputed institutes prefer candidates with work experience.
DM Neurology: Admission Process
Generally, in most of the colleges and institutes offering the course, admission is provided based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test, such as NEET PG, conducted at the national level, followed by a subsequent round of counseling.
The round of counseling involves two additional rounds of Group Discussion and Personal Interview, wherein candidate’s general aptitude for the course is examined. A merit list is subsequently released issued by the institute allocating available seats to the qualifying candidates.
Listed below are some of the entrance exams held in the country for admission to DM in Neurology:
- All India D.M / M.Ch. Entrance Examination
- All India Institute of Medical Science Entrance Exam (AIIMS)
- Banaras Hindu University Entrance Exam
- Delhi University Super Specialty Entrance Test – DUMET
- Institute of Human Behavior and Allied Sciences (IHBAS)
- Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) Entrance Exam
- Madras Medical College – Institute of Neurology Entrance Exam
- Maharashtra Super-specialty Entrance Test - MH SSET
- National Brain Research Centre Entrance Exam
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS) Entrance Exam
- Sree Chitra Thirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology Entrance Exam
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute Entrance Exam
- Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University Medical Entrance Exam
- University of Delhi Entrance Exam.
DM Neurology: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below.
|Basic General Sciences and Investigative Neuro Surgery||Neuroradiology||Electrocorticography|
|Computer Science||Tomography of skull and spine||Brain Mapping|
|Statistics||CT Scan, MRI & MRA & MR Spectroscopy||Ultrasonography of Brain|
|Basic Neurosciences||Angiography||Transcranial Doppler|
|Neuro Anatomy||Myelography||Clinical Neurology|
|Neurophysiology||EEG and EMG||Basic Neurology|
|Neuropathology||Nerve Conduction Study||Neurological Disease|
|Neurochemistry||Evoked Potential||Congenital Malformation|
|Neuropharmacology||Parasitic and Fungal infections||Functional & Sedative Neurosurgery|
|Developmental Anomaly||Vascular diseases||Neuro Anaesthesia|
|Elicitation Interpretation of Neurological Symptoms and signs||Spine and Spinal cord – Disorders – Operative Surgery||Pre & Post-operative care|
|Brain death||Intracranial Tumors – Operative Surgery||Medico Legal Aspects in Neurosurgery|
|Clinical Neurosurgery, practice of Neurosurgery and Recent Advances||Stereotaxy||Neuro Endoscopy|
|Intracranial Pressure Monitoring||Movement disorders||Gene Therapy|
|Developmental Anomalies – Operative Surgery||Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy||Immunotherapy|
|Trauma – Operative Surgery||Paediatric Neurosurgery||Neuronavigation|
|Bacterial infections||Intraoperative Monitoring||Neuro Rehabilitation|
DM Neurology: Career Prospects
The constant advent of medical advancements and emergence of new technologies ensures that such professionals are constantly required for treating a variety of brain, spinal, and muscular function disorders.
Such professionals typically:
- diagnose and determine treatment by examining the patient's brain and neck nerves.
- examine muscle strength, movement, balance, and reflexes.
- perform common diagnostic tests like:
- CAT scan
- spinal taps
- perform non-surgical techniques to treat neurological problems.
- neurological and clinical research
- basic research
- translational research
Related DM Neurology courses are:
Read more about Doctorate of Medicine courses
Some of the popular professional avenues open to postgraduates of the course are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Neurologist||Neurologists are highly trained physicians who diagnose and treat the diseases of a patient's brain as well as any impairment to the spinal cord, nervous system, muscles and blood vessels that are associated with any of these structures.||15-18 lacs|
|Neuro Physician||A Neuro Physician examines and diagnoses nervous disorders and diseases and suggests treatments for the same. They consult with patients to determine and fix the appropriate course of treatment.||12-15 lacs|