MA Fashion Design is a 2-year postgraduate program, designed for aspirants to gain an in-depth knowledge about the world of fashion and explore its economic, ethical, social, ecological, and cultural aspects. Throughout the course, one studies subjects like Fashion Communication, Apparel Manufacturing Technology, Construction of women’s wear etc.
An aspiring candidate can be eligible for this course only after passing BA or any other equivalent qualification with minimum 50% marks from a recognized university.
Some of the Top MA Fashion Design colleges in India are mentioned below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Fee Structure (INR)||Average Salary Package (INR)|
|5||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Hyderabad||Entrance Based||1.9 Lakhs||5.7 Lakhs|
|9||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Gandhi Nagar||Entrance based||2.74 Lakhs||6 Lakhs|
|12||Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida||Entrance Based||1.16 Lakhs||11 Lakhs|
|14||Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Pune||Entrance based||3 Lakhs||4 Lakhs|
|25||Pearl Academy, Mumbai||Entrance Based||3.15 Lakhs||9.6 Lakhs|
Most of the colleges grant admission to this course on the basis of the marks obtained in the qualifying examinations. But there are some colleges which admit students through entrance exams.
In India, the average tuition fee charged for the course ranges anywhere between INR 2 and 12 Lakhs. The fee varies as per the institution.
Successful MA Fashion Design postgraduates can expect a salary ranging between INR 3 and 10 Lakhs, at an initial level, depending on his/her expertise and talent. Such professionals are usually hired in various fashion designing companies, fashion shops, malls, fashion show companies, fashion magazines, educational institutes, etc.
MA Fashion Design professionals can work as a Fashion Designer, Fashion consultant, Design Production Manager, Fashion coordinator, etc.
Apart from seeking jobs, students can even choose to pursue higher education in any relevant field. One can pursue PhD Fashion Design. Students who want to dive into management can pursue MBA or MFM (Master in Fashion Management)
MA Fashion Design Admission Process
Students who wish to pursue MA Fashion Design can refer to the points given below regarding the admission process.
Merit based selection
- Candidates need to apply for the respective college. They can apply either online by visiting the college website or offline by submitting the application form.
- Check the cutoffs and submit the required documents if eligible for admission.
Entrance based selection
- Fill the application form of the respective college and register for the entrance exam as well.
- Take the test and wait for the results.
- Apply for the counselling if eligible.
- Submit the required documents.
MA Fashion Design Eligibility
- Candidates who wish to pursue MA Fashion Design need to fulfill the eligibility criteria given below.
- One must have passed 12th examinations from a recognized board.
- One must have an Undergraduate Degree from any recognized university.
- A minimum percentage or equivalent aggregate of 50% is required at the level of graduation.
|Top MA Fashion Design Colleges in Delhi NCR||Top MA Fashion Design Colleges in Mumbai|
|Top MA Fashion Design colleges in Hyderabad||Top MA Fashion Design colleges in Bangalore|
MA Fashion Design Entrance Exams
There are several colleges and universities which conduct their own entrance exams in order to shortlist candidates for MA Fashion Design course. Some of the most popular entrance exams conducted for this purpose are mentioned below.
- PAF: PAF is conducted by the Pearl Academy of fashion for offering admission into courses like fashion, design, fashion media, etc. The exam is conducted annually as per the availability of the seats.
- CEED: Common Entrance Examination for Design is a joint entrance test conducted for admission into post- graduate studies in the field of fashion design. The exam is held annually.
- SOFT CET: SOFT CET or School of Fashion Technology Common Entrance Test is conducted by the School of Fashion Technology. The entrance test comprises three stages which any candidate needs to go through in order to seek admission in the university.
- AIFD WAT: AIFD WAT or Army Institute of Fashion & Design written admission test is conducted by the Army Institute of Fashion & Design annually. It's an university level exam.
- NIFT: National Institute of Fashion Technology conducts its own entrance test in order to shortlist students for various undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Date (Tentative)||Application Period||Exam Mode|
|NIFT||In the month of January||In the month of october, november and december||Offline|
|PAF||In the month of April||Begins in the month of October||Online|
|CEED||In the month of January||Begins in the month of october||Online & Offline|
|SOFT||In the month of May||Begins in the month of November||Online|
|AIFD WAT||In the month of July ( delayed)||Begins in the month of February||Offline|
How to prepare for MA Fashion Design Entrance Exams?
Doing well in an entrance exam is no difficult task if one is well aware of the syllabus and the exam pattern. But due to cut-throat competition one needs to follow an effective preparation strategy. Usually there are three sections in every entrance exam:
- General Ability Test.
- Creative Ability Test
- Personal interview and Group Discussion round.
One can refer to the tips given below in order to perform well in the entrance exam.
For creative ability test
- One should upgrade one's observation & visualization skills.
- One should learn time management.
- Try thinking out of the box. Curate ideas which are new and original.
For general ability test
- This part of the test has questions based on reading comprehension, verbal ability, basic maths, logical reasoning and general knowledge.
- For the english part, one must read as much as possible. Try upgrading your vocabulary. Solve previous year papers.
- For the maths part, revise basic maths of 10th level. Look for different types of questions. Some of the topics which come under this part are profit and loss, interest, percentage, ratio and proportion, averages, logarithm, etc.
- For logical reasoning, try solving puzzles. Look out for questions asked in the previous year papers.
- One of the most important aspects of preparation is taking mock tests. Make sure that you take at least 10 to 15 mocks before taking the original test
How to get admission in a good MA Fashion Design college?
- Apply for the colleges you are interested in.
- Take the respective entrance exam and make sure that you perform well.
- Be prepared for a personal interview round or a group discussion round if eligible.
- Wait for the final results and ranks.
- Check the cutoffs and accordingly apply for the counselling process.
- Visit the college and submit all the required documents.
MA Fashion Design: What is it about?
- The program in fashion designing is designed to provide eligible candidates a specialization in the wide range of applications and research skills used in the fashion industry.
- One learns to apply design and aesthetics or natural beauty to clothing and accessories and make it trendy around the world.
- The program enables one to apply advanced theory and practice in the chosen specialization.
- The program helps students to develop their signature style and explore the conceptual contexts of their work.
- The program enables students to create, develop and manage their portfolio and present a finished product, prototypes or collection which demonstrate research and technical design powers.
- The program helps students to develop skills like Creativity and artistic taste, Knowledge of colors, textures and shapes, Technical knowledge of tasks such as pattern cutting and sewing, Knowledge of fashion trends, Drawing and sketching skills, Originality and innovativeness.
MA Fashion Design Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination type||Semester system|
|Eligibility||Under Graduation in any relevant field from a recognized college or university.|
|Admission process||Merit based or Entrance based|
|Top Entrance examinations||AIFD, CEED, PAF, NIFT, SOFT, etc.|
|Average tuition fee||INR 2 to 12 Lakhs|
|Job profiles||Fashion Coordinators, Fashion Consultant, Fashion Journalist, Textile Designer, Textile Designer, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 3 to 12 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Raymonds, Allen Solly, Adidas, Spykar,Pantaloons, AND, Swarovski, Bata, Lifestyle, etc.|
|Employment Sector||MNCs, Consulting Firms, Colleges and universities Garment stores, Textile mills, etc.|
Why study MA Fashion Design?
- Students learn to develop new styles and products for clothing brands to suit local trends and buyers.
- The course is a must do for students who want to pursue a career in a creative and innovative field.
- The course comes with various career opportunities. One can work as a fashion designer in any clothing company or fashion house. With much experience and expertise one can even set up one's own fashion label.
- One can work as a costume designer for tv shows and films.
- Fashion industry in India has seen a boom in recent times. Hence the course has immense scope and it is expected to further increase in the coming future.
MA Fashion Design vs MA Graphic Design
MA Fashion Design and MA Graphic Design are two different courses. Some of the key differences between these courses are given below:
|Parameters||MA Fashion Design||MA Graphic Design|
|Objective||The program provides fashion designers a clear perspective on creativity and its application. The curriculum presents fashion design as a fun, topical & rewarding art. It introduces techniques for students to get new, fresh & original design ideas.||MA Graphic Design program is for Students who are interested in getting expertise in the field of Graphic Design and are interested in digital image making and many other things in this field.|
|Average Fee||INR 2 to 12 Lakhs||INR 1 to 4 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 12 Lakhs||INR 3 to 8 Lakhs|
|Job Roles||Fashion media, Design Production Management, Fashion Accessory Design, Designated custom designer, Fashion consultant etc.||Teacher/ Lecturer, Graphic Designer, Freelance Designer, Picture Editor, Design Manager etc.|
|Admission Process||Merit based or Entrance based||Merit based or Entrance based|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Clothing brands, Fashion houses, Textile companies, etc.||Colleges and Universities, Film Industry, Animation and Games Industry, Fashion Companies etc.|
MA Fashion Design Top Colleges
MA Fashion Design is one of the most sought after courses in India. Many colleges have included this course in their curriculum. Some of the top colleges offering this course are given below.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Average Fee (INR)||Average Salary (INR)||Admission Process|
|1||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||New Delhi||2.7 Lakhs||8 Lakhs||Entrance-Based|
|2||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Navi Mumbai||1.9 Lakhs||6 Lakhs||Entrance-Based|
|3||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Bangalore||2.5 Lakhs||4 Lakhs||Entrance exam|
|4||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Chennai||4.8 Lakhs||4.5 Lakhs||Entrance exam|
|5||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Hyderabad||1.9 Lakhs||5 Lakhs||Entrance Based|
|9||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Gandhi Nagar||3 Lakhs||6 Lakhs||Entrance based|
|12||Amity School of Fashion Technology||Noida||1.16 Lakhs||11 Lakhs||Entrance Based|
|14||Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID)||Pune||3 Lakhs||3 Lakhs||Entrance-based|
|25||Pearl Academy||Mumbai||3.15 Lakhs||10 Lakhs||Entrance-Based|
|30||Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||1.25 Lakhs||4 Lakhs||Merit-Based|
Selecting between two colleges can be a daunting task. It becomes more difficult when the two colleges are equally good. Hence to ease the process, two of the top colleges offering MA Fashion Design have been compared based on various parameters.
|Parameter||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Amity School of Fashion Technology|
|Overview||NIFT offers four-year undergraduate, as well as two-year post-graduate, program in Design, Management and Technology. Admission to the undergraduate and postgraduate programs are offered on the basis of an entrance test.||Amity University, Noida has been accredited by the National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) with grade 'A+'.The university has secured the IET’s international accreditation for six of its engineering programmes. It's school of Fashion Technology offers various programs in the field of fashion and technology.|
|NIRF 2020 Rank||1||12|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fees||2.5 Lakhs||1.5 Lakhs|
|Average Annual Package||8 Lakhs||10 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiters||ArvindMills,BataIndia, BlackBerry,Clothing, Decathlon, Dixcy, Group ,H&M||Aditya Birla Group, Label Ritu Kumar, Bestseller, Only, Gap, Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger|
MA Fashion Design Distance Education
For various reasons one may find it difficult to pursue the desired course through regular learning mode. In such cases distance learning comes to rescue. One must check the authenticity of the degree offered and the college.
Some of the colleges offering MA Fashion Design course through distance mode are given below:
MA Fashion Design Syllabus
MA Fashion Design is a 2 year long degree program. The two year course is divided into four semesters. The semester wise syllabus of the program is given below. It may differ from college to college.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Design Illustration 1|
|Fashion Communication||Computer Designing 1|
|Advanced Pattern Making 1||Retail Marketing & Merchandise 1|
|Construction of Women’s Wear||Seminar 1|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Knitwear Design Technology||Design Illustration 2|
|Advanced Pattern Making 2||Computer Designing 2|
|Construction of men’s wear||Retail Marketing & Merchandise 2|
|Seminar 2||Project Work|
MA Fashion Design Jobs and Career Prospects
Fashion designers work in a number of ways in designing clothing and accessories. They customize designs as per the requirements of their clients. They work within a wide range of materials, colors, patterns and styles.
The average starting salary of a MA Fashion Design graduate is around INR 4 to 6 Lakhs per annum. Some of the top job profiles available to MA Fashion Design graduates are:
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Salary (INR)|
|Fashion illustrator||A Fashion illustrator creates visual concepts, using computer software or by hand, to communicate or by hand, to communicate ideas that inspire, inform, and captivate consumers. They develop the overall layout and production design for applications such as advertisements, magazines, and reports.||3 Lakhs|
|Fashion coordinator||A Fashion Coordinator coordinates fashion shows and other promotional shows for companies and designers. Some are responsible for a particular department. Some Fashion coordinators also work in the entertainment industry.||7 Lakhs|
|Personal stylist||Personal stylist helps clients create the most suitable look by choosing clothes and accessories that fit clients’ body type and individual needs.||4.5 Lakhs|
|Fashion consultant||A Fashion consultant gives professional fashion advice and recommendations to individuals, customers or companies. They use their knowledge and trends in order to assist others in the realm of fashion.||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Fashion Accessory Designer||A Fashion Accessory Designer is responsible for conceptualization, designing and creating a range of products that compliment the fashion costumes and looks.||5.5 Lakhs|
The graph given below shows the salary trends for various job profiles available to MA Fashion Design Graduates.
MA Fashion Design Future Scope
- Fashion design is one of the most lucrative career fields in the modern world. The course comes with various jobs and career opportunities.
- The introduction of the international fashion market in India has given an impetus to the fashion industry, which has become a rapidly emerging industry and the demand for fashion designers is more than ever.
- Apart from seeking jobs, one can even set up one's own label, one can open a boutique or put on an exhibition of self designed clothes.
- In recent years, the fashion industry has flourished in India. This forecasts an ever increasing scope of the course.
The opportunities offered by this course are not limited to jobs. Students can also choose to pursue higher education. Some of the higher job options available to them are:
- MFM: MFM or Master in Fashion Management is a management course offered in the fields related to Fashion Design.
- MBA: MBA or Master of Business Management in Fashion Design is yet another course in the domain Fashion industry. Students who wish to become successful entrepreneurs can pursue this course.
- PhD Fashion Design: PhD Fashion Design is a doctoral level course in Fashion Design. The course requires one to perform extensive research about the past, present and future expected trends.
MA Fashion Design FAQs
Ques. What are the various job profiles available for MA Fashion Design professionals?
Ans. MA Fashion Design graduates can work as a Graphic designer, a Fashion Coordinator, a Personal Stylist, a Fashion Accessory Design, a Fashion Consultant, etc.
Ques. What average salary can one expect after completing an MA Fashion Design course?
Ans. The average starting salary of a MA Fashion Design graduate is INR 3 to 12 Lakhs.
Ques. What are some of the top colleges offering MA Fashion Design course?
Ans. Amity School of Fashion Technology, Pearl Academy, Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID), Chandigarh University, NIFT etc.
Ques. What is the average fee for an MA Fashion Design course?
Ans. The average fee for MA Fashion Design is INR 2 to 12 Lakhs.
Ques. How can I crack the entrance exam to take admission into MA Fashion Design course?
Ans. One should upgrade observation & visualization. One should learn to manage time. One should solve atleast 10 to 15 mocks.
Ques. What are the top entrance exams conducted for admission into MA Fashion Design course?
Ans. NIFT, PAF, CEED, SOFT, AIFT WAT, etc
Ques. What are the skills required to become a fashion designer?
Ans. Creativity and artistic skills, excellent drawing ability, fine eye for details, strong visualization skills, a sharp business sense, interest in evergreen trends.
Ques. What are the subjects taught in MA Fashion Design?
Ans. Fashion Communication, Apparel Manufacturing Technology, Construction of women’s wear, Knitwear designing, etc.
Ques. What is the duration of an MA Fashion Design course?
Ans. The duration of the course is 2 years.