MA French or Masters of Arts in French is a 2- year post-graduate course in India. It has been designed to understand the French language deeply along with exploring the French culture, traditions and history through an academic viewpoint.
Students’ who have received a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate in the relevant field under the 10+2+3 pattern are eligible to take up this course.
However, few colleges like IIS Jaipur offer direct admission to students willing to study this course.
MA French: Key Highlights
The cost involved in studying an MA French course in India ranges from NR 4,000- 3, 00,000 to any individual.
The course is designed in a manner to offer students insights on using the French language in the modern world, to have an in-depth understanding of the French literature, as well as to have a more nuanced understanding and grip over the French language.
Tabulated below are some of the top colleges offering MA French in India, as per the NIRF Ranking , 2020.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|8||Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi||Entrance based||1,366.5||9-12 LPA|
|10||Banaras Hindu University||Entrance based||4,620||7-15 LPA|
|11||University of Calcutta||Entrance based||2,314||5-8 LPA|
|18||Delhi University||Entrance based||2,600||8-20 LPA|
|44||Panjab University||Entrance based||9,825||5-9 LPA|
Once they get done with an MA French degree, many job opportunities in the industries like travel & tourism, hospitality industry, MNC, embassies, international business, education institutions, export firms, etc becomes available.
An MA French degree also enhances job options in various international organizations like the United Nations, UNESCO, the EU, the International Olympic Committee, NATO, the Hague, and the International Red Cross.
|Alert: BHU has canceled BHU PET 2020 which was to be held from April 26,2020 to May 10, 2020, due to ongoing lockdown of COVID-19.|
The highest annual salary of around INR 12 LPA for a MA French degree holder can be expected, whereas an average annual salary around INR 3-8 LPA can be expected.
Further study options post completion of MA French include Phd in French, which will help the students to gain a stronger grip over the subject as well as an exposure to advanced career opportunities.
MA French Admission Process
Most of the universities follow the system of an entrance exam, few of the colleges might have a second round of personal interview. There are few colleges like IIS Jaipur which take in students directly based on the merit of the students.
In the case of entrance exams, it is a mix of the aggregate marks scored in the qualifying exams along with the marks scored in the entrance exams. This is calculated post the processing of the application and on completion of the entrance exam.
Steps to follow for applying for MA French admission are given below :
- Go to the website of the college that you are interested in.
- Create an id or fill in a form as prescribed.
- Fill the details and pay the prescribed fees.
- Also submit the required documents if needed.
- If the college has an entrance exam, then the admit card will be provided soon after the application is processed .Please keep a track of the dates of the exams.
- Finally, keep checking the college website for recent updates and notifications with regards to the same.
MA French Eligibility
Following are some of the MA French Eligibility criteria to be fulfilled:
- The applicant should have graduated with a bachelor's degree under the system of 10+2+3 system of education
- The applicant should have graduated with a bachelor's degree in the relevant subject or any subject as long as the applicant has a minimum of 50% of aggregate or a minimum of 48% in the subject of the post graduation degree.
- Few colleges ask for at least a diploma degree in French with a minimum 45% if the application did not include a bachelors in the relevant field.
MA French Entrance Exams
Some of the university level entrances exams for MA French admission are given below:
- BHU PET 2020: It is a postgraduate entrance test for admission in PG courses in Banaras Hindu University.
- JNUEE 2020: JNUEE is conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru University in order to shortlist students for various postgraduate degree programs.
- PU CET 2020: PU CET is a state level entrance exam conducted by Punjab University, this university offers various UG and PG Programs.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|BHU PET 2020||January 30, -March 21, 2020||To be announced||Offline|
|JNUEE 2020||March 2- June 15, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|PU CET 2020||April 24-June 26, 2020(Extended)||To be announced||Offline|
How to Prepare for the MA French Entrance Exams?
There are generally 3 sections in an entrance exam for MA French:
- Vocabulary: Questions would be framed in a manner to understand the candidate’s grasp on French language and phrases.
- Grammar: Questions will be asked to assess how strong is the candidate’s grammatical skills.
- Knowledge of French: This section will focus on the candidate’s knowledge on French history, alliteration and the ability to understand analysis French.
Points to keep in mind while preparing for the entrance exams:
- Make a proper schedule as per the syllabus of entrance exams to not miss any sections.
- Do as much reading as you can, in order to score well in the reading comprehension section.
- Trying reading French articles to improve on the vocabulary and listening to French audio will also help.
- Translating from French to English would help with your grammar and vocabulary skills.
- If previous years question papers are available, then it is good to solve them as it will build up your confidence.
- Keep on checking regularly about the updates and notifications related to your entrances.
How to Get Admission in a MA French Good College?
Following are some of the points to help you get into a good college offering MA French in India:
- For a merit-based admission, you will need a good percentage overall in your bachelor’s degree or a good score in the particular subject is also sufficient.
- Keep a track of all the news updates of the colleges that you want to apply to. In case of doubt, call the management and get updated information.
- Keep working on your French vocabulary and grammar skills. Attend certificate courses on French as this will help in improving the language.
- Admission to MA French is offered through entrances as well. Therefore, it is important to take preparation as per the syllabus of the same.
- Do not miss out any important notice related to your admission like application deadlines, cut-offs, etc.
MA French: What is it all about?
A MA French is a degree which has a multifaceted approach towards French culture, language and history. Students would learn about the French culture, through visual arts, literature and historical studies.
- One would be required to submit a dissertation or project mostly in French at the end of the course, depending on the track taken within the degree.
- Students will gain a deep understanding of French literature and will be able to understand and talk French fluently.
- This course is perfect for those who want to work abroad, in international agencies or in tourism.
- Other areas of interest for those with an MA in French include diplomatic positions, government jobs and other such employment opportunities.
MA French: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full Form||Masters of Arts in French|
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognised university under the 10+2+3 pattern|
|Admission process||Both entrance and merit|
|Course fees||INR 4,000- 3, 00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 12 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges & Universities, Language Departments, French Bilingual Offices, Translation/Data Offices, Embassies (embassies), MNCs, and such.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Accenture, Evalueserve, Wipro, Fiserv, TCS, Tech Mahindra, Infosys, Kuliza, Scabbard, RBI (Reserve Bank of India), Ministry of External Affairs, FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization), UNO (United Nations Organization), etc.|
|Job position||Teacher, Diplomatic Service Professional, Translator for MNCs and Government Organizations, Foreign Language Trainer, Tourist Guide, Interpreter, Air Hostess, Freelance Writer, Interpreter, Attendant at hotels, Public Relation Officer, Foreign Language Analyst, Language Instructional Developer, Textbook Author and Editors, Representative of Foreign Companies, Foreign Travel Adviser, etc.|
Why study MA French?
Listed below are some of the perks of pursuing MA French:
- Learning French is highly beneficial to people in India as French is the most popular and widespread Language across the world.
- The scope of the French language gives you a career boost and helps you find jobs overseas also as you will be able to communicate in ease and be able to make relevant connections across the world as you would be able to relate to them.
- It will also give you a boost in your career if you want to work in embassies or in any international agencies.
- There is high demand for people who know French for the import export business with Europe and having a degree in the same will give you an edge over other competitors as you could relate to the foreign clients and create your own business.
- It also gives you a chance to do something different from the norm and at the same time offers the safety of the usual jobs as people are few but the demand is high.
- Since the job opportunities are tailor made around the language, the salary packages offered are really huge ranging from INR 3 to 12 LPA .
- In the future, you could always take a Phd.in French and become a Professor as well.
MA French Colleges
Tabulated below are some of the top colleges offering MA French in India:
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees in (INR)||Average Annual Package in (INR)|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University||Delhi||1,366.5||9-12 LPA|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||4,620||7-15 LPA|
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata||2,314||5-8 LPA|
|Delhi University||Delhi||2,600||8-20 LPA|
|Panjab University||Chandigarh||9,825||5-9 LPA|
|University of Lucknow||Lucknow||30,160||4-7 LPA|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||56,000||4.5-6 LPA|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||3,540||4-10 LPA|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai||34,405||8-15 LPA|
Source: University websites
A comparison between the best colleges offering MA French in India is tabulated below:
|Parameters||Jawaharlal Nehru University||Banaras Hindu University||University of Calcutta|
|Overview||Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) offers various UG, PG and research courses in multiple specializations under the stream of Science, Commerce, Arts etc. To promote higher education, every full-time enrolled student of JNU receives financial assistance through various fellowship/scholarship facilities.||Established in 1916 by Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya, BHU is organized into 6 institutes and 14 faculties (streams) and more than 132 departments.||It was established on 24 January 1857 by the Act of Legislative Council of British India. The University was awarded 5 stars by NAAC in 2001 and in 2010 NAAC ranked the university as 'A’ grade in 2008.|
|Average Fees||INR 1366.5||INR 4,620||INR 2,314|
|Average Salary||9-12 LPA||7-15 LPA||5-8 LPA|
|Recruitment Companies||BAJAJ Allianz | Birla SunLife | Chowgule | Eureka Forbes | HDFC Bank | ICICI | IDBI Federal, etc||Indoco Remedies | IndusInd Bank| Dainik Bhaskar | DNA | FORTIS Healthcare | Fullerton Securities | HDFC Bank | Hewlett Packard, etc||ACC Limited | Aegon Religare | Amol Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd. | Axis Bank | BAJAJ Allianz | Bharti Cellular | Birla SunLife | Britannia|
MA French Syllabus
A semester-wise breakup of the MA French syllabus is tabulated here.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|History of French Literature 19th Century||History of 20th Century French Literature|
|Introduction to Linguistics||History of France|
|French Novel & French Poetry||French Drama|
|Use of French||Origin of Literature in French|
|Introduction to Literary Analysis of Fiction and Poetry||Evolution of French poetry and Novel as genre|
|Linguistic Approach to Translation||Comparative Literature|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Study of Literary Schools or Movement||M.A. dissertation|
|Didactic of French as a foreign language||Viva-voce|
|French Literature||Introduction to Francophone Literature|
|History of Art in France||Interpretive theory of Translation : New approaches to Translation based on the theory of Interpretation|
|Introduction to Translation Studies||-|
|Hygiène de l’assassin||Amélie Nothomb|
|Un soir au club”||Christian Gailly|
|Bonjour Tristesse||Françoise Sagan|
MA French Jobs and Career Options
Students who have completed MA French will get jobs in industries like travel & tourism, hospitality industry, MNC, BPO, KPO, Embassies, fashion, retailing, automotive, luxury goods, aeronautics, international business, education institutions and export firms.
With the average salary ranging from INR 3 to 12 LPA, One can work as a French translator, business development executive, etc. with this degree.
Having a MA French degree also enhances job options in various international organizations like the United Nations, UNESCO, the EU, the International Olympic Committee, NATO, the Hague, and the International Red Cross.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Translator||Translators are people who translate the material from one language to another.||4 LPA|
|Foreign Language Teachers||Teachers who teach foreign languages are always in demand||6 LPA|
|Air Hostesses||People who are in charge of providing smooth travel to customers from every country and who knows the language is preferred||7.5 LPA|
|Tourist Experts||Tourist Experts are in charge of helping individuals visit new regions. They ordinarily make special trips with groups of tourists to show them tourist spots and help them visit popular areas||9 LPA|
|French Writer||A French Writer is in charge of writing articles or books, on project basis in French. A French Writer ordinarily reports to an altering administrator or the central Editorial Manager.||5 LPA|
MA French Scope
The degree helps in getting an international outlook along with linguistic skill, and knowledge about France, French and European culture in general. This will aid in getting a job and enhance your career opportunities.
After successfully completing MA French, one can teach French in public and private universities by clearing NET exam.
Apart from being a French expert, one can also go for higher education to gain a more advanced knowledge of the subject. A Ph.D in French is the very next option chosen by these graduates. A 3-year full-time doctorate programme in learning French, the degree is curated for offering an understanding of the language, deepening it further.
MA French: FAQs
Ques. What is MA French?
Ans: An MA French is a master degree which has a multifaceted approach towards French culture, language and history
Ques. Can I do an MA in French after finishing my BA in English and a French course from Alliance Francaise?
Ans: Yes, you can do MA French after finishing BA in English and a French course from Alliance Francaise.
Ques. How is admission offered to MA French in India?
Ques. What is the average annual fee required to study an MA French in India?
Ans: The average annual fee required to study an MA French in India ranges from INR 4,000- 3, 00,000.
Ques. Can I go for MA French without having done bachelors in it?
Ans: Yes, if you have DELF B1 or higher certification (in French of course) or a second language as French at college level during your bachelors.
Ques. What is the scope of MA French?
Ans: You can pursue your Ph.D.in French or work as a French translator or teach French as a foreign language teacher.
Ques. How much can a student with an MA French earn on an average?
Ans: On an average candidates with an MA French degree can earn from a range of INR 3 to 12 LPA.
Ques. What jobs can I do with a Master’s degree in French?
Ans: You can work as French translator, work in big MNCS, work in the foreign embassies, etc.
Ques. Will my MA French degree help me to go abroad?
Ans: Yes, it will give you an edge over other candidates who are trying to work abroad especially in places where French is a common language.
Ques. Can I work in travel agencies with this degree?
Ans: Yes, you can work as a translator in any travel agencies.
Ques. Is the Course semester wise or year based?
Ans: Most of the colleges offering MA French in India follow a semester based system of curriculum.
Ques. How tough is an MA French course?
Ans: The course is not so tough as you would already have a French base even otherwise it’s not hard as they start from the basics.