MA Mathematics or Master of Arts in Mathematics is a two-year long postgraduate programme in Mathematics specialization. This is a programme for students who wish to build a career in statistics, research or teaching etc.
The basic eligibility criterion to get admitted into any college offering Masters in Mathematics is to have an undergraduate degree in Mathematics. A minimum aggregate score of 55% would also help in the selection process.
The admission process is mainly through entrance examination. LSR, St. Stephen’s College, Sri Venkateswara College, etc are some of the top colleges offering admission to the course through entrances.
Some of the top entrances for the admission to MA Mathematics are IPU CET, BHU PET, and PU CET.
The programme has a more application-based teaching method. Some subjects include concepts of theorems, algorithms, algebra, calculus etc.
The average course fees for a MA Mathematics programme is around INR 20,000 and INR 2 LPA in India.
The top five colleges in India that offer MA in Mathematics courses are as follows.
|The Week Rank||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Placement Package (INR)|
|1||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi||Entrance Examination||18,000||15 LPA|
|2||St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi||Entrance Examination||10,299||9 LPA|
|3||Hindu College, New Delhi||Entrance Examination||16,000||12 LPA|
|21||Sri Venkateswara College, Chennai||Entrance Examination||13.191||5 LPA|
|22||Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi||Entrance Examination||10,000||10 LPA|
Some of the most popular job profiles that an MA Mathematics graduate is offered are Teachers, Statisticians, Researcher, Loan Officers, etc.
Organizations and job areas where these professionals are hired vary from institutes, colleges, banks, financial organizations, engineering firms, private and Government organizations etc.
With Boston Consulting Group, Edward Jones, Intel, Qualcomm, Google etc. being some of the top recruiting agencies, the average salary a graduate can earn is INR 5-12 LPA.
After successful completion of the course, one can not only make a good career in the job field, but also can go for higher studies. M.Phil. in Mathematics, PhD in Mathematics and various financial courses are some of the best choices in that case.
MA Mathematics Admission Process
Colleges and institutes offering MA Mathematics programmes admit students on the basis of marks obtained in entrance examinations.
Some of the most popular entrance examinations candidates appear for the MA Mathematics course are BHU PET, IPU CET, etc.
The step-by-step process to apply for an entrance examination based admission is as follows.
- Registration: Like in merit-based admissions, the first step is to register the candidate at the college. Applications are opened up and the dates for the same are advertised in advance.
- Filling up application form: Fill up the institute’s application form with all previous educational qualifications and marks. Correctness must be ensured while filling up the application form.
- Upload documents: Scan all necessary documents and upload them using the application portal. Care must be taken to ensure all documents are of correct size and format. Click submit once done.
- Download admit card: All shortlisted candidates who are eligible for the entrance examination will be intimidated beforehand. Admit cards can be downloaded from the website to be used on the exam day.
- Entrance examination: Prepare for the examination and appear for it on the day advertised.
- Admissions: If a candidate is successful in passing the entrance examinations, they will be required to take admissions. An admission fee is to be paid to secure a seat in the programme.
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi Admission, 2020||Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi Admission, 2020|
MA Mathematics Eligibility Criteria
MA Mathematics eligibility criteria differ from college to college. The following points are the general criteria applicable to most institutes.
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in Mathematics as the main subject.
- A minimum aggregate score of 55% and above must have been scored at least at the bachelor’s level from a recognized university in order to meet the college’s cut-offs.
- Some colleges require their candidates to have an honors degree in Mathematics.
MA Mathematics Entrance Exams
Most institutes in India admit students to MA Mathematics on the basis of an entrance examination. Some of the most popular entrance exams are as follows.
- IPU CET 2020: This is an university level of entrance exams conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University. It is an online exam for various UG and PG admissions.
- BHU PET 2020: BHU PET is held every academic year by Banaras Hindu University for its postgraduate programmes.
- PU CET 2020: PU CET is a state level entrance exam conducted for the admission of various UG and PG Programs by Punjab University.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date*||Exam Mode|
|IPU CET 2020||March 3- June 10, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|BHU PET 2020||January 30, -March 21, 2020||To be announced||Offline|
|PU CET 2020||April 24-June 26, 2020(Extended)||To be announced||Offline|
How to prepare for MA Mathematics Entrance Examinations?
Some tips to follow while preparing for MA Mathematics entrance examinations have been stated below.
- MA Mathematics entrance test is designed to test the candidate’s understanding and knowledge of the mathematics material taught at the bachelor’s level mathematics programme.
- Most institutes release past year’s entrance examination papers along with the answer key to aid in preparation. These should be downloaded and used during the latter days of preparation.
- Some entrance examinations have a general knowledge or current affairs section too. Candidates are advised to keep up to date with all the latest news to ace this section.
- While practising, it must be done while timing oneself and recreating examination conditions. This will help in allocating time and ensuring one does not run out of time during the exam day.
- All material covered in the undergraduate level must be revised.
How to get admission in a good MA Mathematics college?
To help gain admission in a premier Masters in Mathematics offering college like, Hindu College, LSR, etc, the following pointers can be referred to.
- A minimum score of 55% and above is needed to be scored by the students willing to get admissions into top MA Mathematics colleges.
- Keep up to date about admissions news. Cut-off lists, application dates, examination dates are released by institutes in all major newspapers and online media. One must ensure no deadline is missed.
- Preparation for the entrance examination must be started as early as possible. Examination syllabuses cover many topics and all past information learnt must be brushed up.
- General knowledge and the latest news must be kept up to date with. Some institutes hold a round of personal interview for the admission process for which current affair questions could be asked.
MA Mathematics: What is it about?
Following are some of the points to know more about MA Mathematics:
- Master of Arts in Mathematics is a two-year long postgraduate programme. It is a course meant for candidates who wish to broaden their analytical knowledge and mathematical knowledge.
- The masters level course provides a study of various theorems, algorithms, calculus and various practical applications of mathematics in the real world. Students upon graduation are ready to work in the analytics field or as statisticians.
- This course tests the mental ability of the individual and any person who has a deep interest in analysing the problems should opt for this programme.
- MA Mathematics aims to make students prepared for research and analysis of problem and subject.
- This is a scientific course and those who love to deal with challenges should pursue this course.
- Students upon graduation can opt for higher education in the same field such as PhD or MPhil in Mathematics. Other masters courses in different Mathematical specializations can also be opted for.
MA Mathematics: Course Highlights
Some of the important highlights of MA Mathematics courses are tabulated below.
|Full-Form||Master of Arts|
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 and INR 2 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 5 to INR 12 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Boston Consulting Group, Edward Jones, Intel, Qualcomm, Google etc.|
|Job Positions||Teachers, Statisticians, Loan Officers, Researchers, Demographers, Accountants, etc.|
Why study MA Mathematics?
The reasons for choosing MA Mathematics as the programme of choice for a postgraduate degree will vary from candidate to candidate. Some of the reasons why MA Maths should be a career of choice is as follows.
- Wide Career Opportunities: An MA Mathematics graduate is able to work in multiple organizations and avenues of the economy. One can work as a teacher or a professor or work in the corporate field as a researcher or as a statistician. A number of organizations, public and private hire MA Maths graduates in various roles.
- Gateway to Higher Educational Degrees: Students who opt for higher studies instead of seeking placements have a number of options available. From research-based programmes like M.Phil. or PhD in Mathematics to management courses like MBA. One can also prepare for professional courses like ICWA.
- Sharpen Knowledge and Skills: Masters in Mathematics is a course that focuses more on polishing and finessing the knowledge bank of the students. For candidates who are looking to work in the same field, developing an analytical and a result-oriented mindset is useful which can be gained from this programme.
- High Salary: After completing an MA Mathematics course and obtaining the degree successfully, one becomes eligible for getting as high a salary ranging from INR 5 to INR 12 LPA.
The following table shows a comparison between MA Mathematics vs MSc Mathematics.
|Parameters||MA Mathematics||MSc Mathematics|
|Qualification||Master of Arts in Mathematics||Master of Science in Mathematics|
|Course Overview||MA Mathematics focus area is on developing analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.||MSc Mathematics focus area is on the core mathematics principles and concepts and its applications with a scientific base.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years
|Eligibility||Graduation with Mathematics as a chief subject.||Completed graduation from a recognized university with a minimum of 50% score in aggregate. English and Maths subjects are mandatory.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination||Entrance Examination|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000 and INR 2 LPA||INR 30,000 - INR 4 LPA|
|Top Colleges||Lady Shri Ram College for Women, New Delhi St. Stephen’s College, New Delhi Hindu College, New Delhi Sri Venkateswara College, Chennai Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi, etc
||Miranda House New Delhi, Hindu College New Delhi, Madras Christian College Chennai, Loyola College Chennai, Hans Raj College New Delhi, etc|
|Average Salary||INR 5 to INR 12 LPA||INR 6 to INR 12 LPA|
Source: University website and Payscale
MA Mathematics Colleges
Some of the top MA Mathematics Colleges in India are tabulated below
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Placement Package (INR)|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||New Delhi||18,000||15 LPA|
|St. Stephen’s College||New Delhi||10,299||9 LPA|
|Hindu College||New Delhi||16,000||12 LPA|
|Sri Venkateswara College||Chennai||13.191||5 LPA|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||10,000||10 LPA|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||56,000||6 LPA|
|University of Lucknow||Lucknow||30,160||7 LPA|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai||34,405||13 LPA|
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata||2,314||5 LPA|
We have drawn a table below to compare between two of the top MA Mathematics colleges in India.
|Parameters||St. Stephen’s College.||Hindu College|
|College overview||Affiliated to University of Delhi, St. Stephen’s College is a prestigious and one of the oldest colleges for arts and science courses.||Established in 1889, the Hindu College offers multiple UG and PG courses in science, arts, commerce and social sciences. Graduates from the college have gone to make a mark in various fields.|
|The Week Rank||2||3|
|Location||New Delhi||New Delhi
|Average Annual Fee||INR 10,299||INR 16,000|
|Average Annual Package||INR 9 LPA||INR 12 LPA|
|Genpact, OBEROIS group, Asian paints, Titan, NDTV, SONY India,, Infosys,BM, Accenture,Grail Research, etc||ACC Limited, Aegon Religare, Amol Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd., Axis Bank, BAJAJ Allianz, Bharti Cellular, Birla SunLife Britannia, etc|
MA Mathematics Syllabus
The following table gives a brief insight into the MA Mathematics syllabus of this course. Though mentioned carefully, this is not a strict description and the MA Mathematics subjects can vary from college to college.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Linear Algebra||Partial Differential Equations|
|Modern Algebra||Differential Geometry|
|Elements of General Topology||Computer Programming|
|Numerical Analysis||Continuum Mechanics|
|Ordinary Differential Equations||Computer Aided Numerical Practical|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Graph Theory||Modern Algebra-Advanced|
|Set Theory||Functional Analysis|
|Mathematical Logic||General Topology|
Check MA Mathematics Syllabus
MA Mathematics Job Prospects and Career Options
After completing MA in Mathematics course, one has the option to either enrol in higher studies in the same field or look for employment opportunities. Graduates with a MA in Maths degree are hired in bank and financial firms, central and state government departments, colleges and universities in teaching roles, research and development etc.
Graduates can expect to earn an average salary ranging between INR 5 to INR 12 LPA. Some of the top hiring companies are Boston Consulting Group, Edward Jones, Intel, Qualcomm and Google.
The top profiles of a MA Mathematics graduate are as follows, along with the average salary.
|Job Roles||Description||Average Salary(INR)|
|Teacher||Teachers are hired in schools for Mathematics to instruct, create class plans, assign homework, communicate with parents and look after the well being of students.||4 LPA|
|Lecturer Assistant||Lecturer Assistants are hired in universities and institutes to educate undergraduate and postgraduate students. Duties include planning lessons, instructing students, assigning projects and homework, and helping students with their research duties too.||6 LPA|
|Statistician||The primary duty of a statistician is to collect data through questionnaires and surveys, clean up and organise the data and detect trends and relationships within the data.||8 LPA|
|Researcher||A researcher has a similar job description to a statistician. Researchers work with others to collect, organize and analyze data. Researchers can choose to specialize in specific areas like science, sociology etc.||9 LPA|
|Accountant||An accountant works with financial documentation and records of organizations. Duties include researching, collecting and analysing accounting data, working with assets and liabilities and preparing the various financial accounts.||5 LPA|
Read more about MA Mathematics Jobs and career scope
MA Mathematics Scope
MA Mathematics students are not limited by their career options. If one chooses to enrol in higher studies, a number of programmes are available for which they are eligible. Some such programmes have been described below.
- M.Phil. in Mathematics: M.Phil. in Mathematics is a doctorate level degree which is equal to a PhD in Mathematics. This course can be completed in two years, longer if distance education mode is chosen. Some institutes offer the M.Phil degree along with their PhD degrees. Eligibility criteria for admission includes a masters degree in mathematics from a recognized university and admission is conducted through an entrance examination.
- PhD in Mathematics: The highest level of educational degree one can achieve in any field is a PhD. A PhD in Mathematics is an area with less competition which means more employment opportunities. The course duration is anywhere between 3 to 5 years. An entrance test and an interview round is held for admissions. Candidates must have a masters degree in mathematics to be eligible.
- Financial courses: MA Mathematics graduates can also opt to sit for financial or accounting competitive examinations like the ICWA. Having a mathematics degree will only add value exponentially to the candidate’s resume during such exams.
Apart from pursuing a career in the job industry with an MA Mathematics, studying any of the above mentioned courses can be considered as one of the beneficial choices. As this will enhance the existing knowledge of the subject and will bring ample advanced opportunities.
MA Mathematics: FAQs
Ques. What is the full form of MA Mathematics?
Ans: MA stands for Master of Arts in Mathematics.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for MA in Mathematics?
Ans: The minimum eligibility criteria involve having an undergraduate degree in mathematics from a recognized institute.
Ques. What are the top colleges for a MA in Mathematics?
Ans: The University of Delhi affiliated colleges like St. Stephen’s College, Hindu College, etc are rated top for a MA in Mathematics.
Ques. What is the minimum aggregate score required for admission?
Ans: The minimum cut-off will depend on college to college. However, a minimum score of 50% is considered good.
Ques. Is there a lateral entry in MA Mathematics?
Ans: Yes. Some colleges do offer lateral entry in their MA Mathematics programme.
Ques. What is the admission process for MA Mathematics?
Ans: Admissions to MA Mathematics are done mostly through entrance examinations.
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for MA Mathematics?
Ans: The average tuition fee for the course is between INR 20,000 and INR 2 LPA.
Ques. What is the average placement package for MA Mathematics?
Ans: An MA Mathematics graduate can earn between INR 5 to INR 12 LPA
Ques. Can B.Tech graduates apply for masters in Mathematics programme?
Ans: Yes. B. Tech students are eligible for admission in some colleges.
Ques. What are the career options after graduation?
Ans: After graduation one can work as teachers, statisticians, loan officers, researchers, demographers, accountant, etc.
Ques. Is there any scope for further studies after MA Mathematics?
Ans: Yes, after completing MA Mathematics, one can study M.Phil. in Mathematics or PhD in Mathematics