Master of Arts in Sociology or MA Sociology is a postgraduate course in Sociology which has a total duration of 2 years, divided into 4 semesters. This course revolves around the detailed study of society and different related mechanisms.
MA Sociology syllabus includes topics like Religion and Society, Political Sociology, Sociology of India, Economic Sociology, Sociology of Development, Methods of Sociological Research, etc.
Check the full list of Top MA Sociology colleges in India.
In order to be eligible for a MA Sociology course, you must complete your graduation from a recognized college or university. The candidates must attain minimum 50% marks to be eligible for this course.
The admission process is either merit-based or on the basis of the marks acquired by the candidates in the entrance test. The shortlisted candidates will be called for Personal Interview and Document Verification. The selected candidates will be granted admission to the course.
Some of the subjects that are taught to the students in the MA Sociology course are Sociological Theories, Methods of Sociological Research, Sociology of Kinship, Sociology of Development, Sociology of Symbolism. The choice of the subject generally differs from institute to institute.
MA Sociology is quite a prosperous course in India. The course is offered by various institutes. Here we have listed some of the top colleges/ universities to study MA Sociology :
|The Week Rank 2019||College Name||Admission Process||Average Course Fee||Average Salary|
|4||Loyola College, Chennai||Merit Based Admission||INR 40,000||INR 3,50,000|
|9||St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata||Merit Based Admission||INR 60,000||INR 3,50,000|
|20||Jesus and Mary College, New Delhi||Merit Based Admission||INR 34,000||INR 3,80,000|
|30||Nizam College, Hyderabad||Merit Based Admission||INR 54,000||INR 3,00,000|
|50||St. Mira’s College for Girls, Pune||Merit Based Admission||INR 30,000||INR 3,50,000|
The average tuition fee for completing MA Sociology course ranges between INR 5,000 to INR 2,00,000.
The main recruiting areas are public relation firms, international organizations, law firms, etc. Some of the common job profiles are counselor, administrator, consultant, researcher, etc.
The average MA Sociology salary offered to the candidates lies between INR 3,50,000 to INR 6,50,000.
After completing the MA Sociology course, the students may go for higher studies and pursue an M.Phil or Ph.D. in Sociology.
MA Sociology Admission Process
The admission is done in two ways. It can either be on the basis of the performance of the candidates in the entrance test or on the basis of their performance in graduation.
- The application forms are generally released in the month of June.
- The list of shortlisted candidates are mostly displayed on the website of the college.
Here, we have mentioned the various steps of admission for both the ways:
Merit Based Admission
- Step 1: Fill the application form
The candidates will have to fill the application forms of the colleges in which they would like to apply for the MA Sociology course.
- Step 2: Admission to the college
The candidates are shortlisted on the basis of the marks acquired by them in their graduation courses. The shortlisted candidates will be called for the final step of admission.
Entrance Based Admission
- Step 1: Fill the application form
The application forms are released mostly in the month of May or June. The application forms can be filled and submitted online.
- Step 2: Appear for the entrance test
After you have successfully submitted the application form, you will have to appear for the entrance test. The date for the entrance test is declared in advance.
- Step 3: Admission to the college
The candidates who clear the admission test will be selected. They will then be called to take admission to the college.
Check the full list of MA entrance exams in India.
MA Sociology Eligibility
The eligibility criteria vary from college to college. Here, we have listed some of the common MA Sociology eligibility criteria that must be fulfilled by the candidates:
- The students must complete his/her graduation in any undergraduate course. The students from Humanities background will have an advantage over others.
- The minimum graduation percentage may vary from 45% to 50%. The percentage differs from college to college.
- Some colleges also conduct their entrance test. The students need to clear the entrance test in order to be eligible for the course.
- A certain relaxation of percentage is given to the SC /ST / OBC/ PwD candidates.
MA Sociology Entrance Exams
Appearing for the entrance test is mandatory for a few colleges and universities. The application forms are released a few months before the date of the examination. However, all dates for the current academic year have been postponed due to COVID-19 crisis. Here, we have listed some of the common entrance tests for the MA Sociology course
- IPUCET 2020: IPUCET is the entrance test conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University for admission to the various UG and PG courses. The application forms are available in the online mode from March.
- TISSNET 2020: TISSNET is the online examination conducted by Tata Institute of Social Sciences. The examination is conducted one every year and it is held in January.
- PU CET 2020: PU CET is the Punjab University Combined Entrance Test. It is a state-level entrance test for admission to the different colleges under Punjab University. The application forms are released in March.
- MGU CAT 2020: MGU CAT is the University level admission test for admission to the postgraduate courses. The examination is held in the month of April and the application forms are released in February.
- AUAT 2020: AUAT is the admission test for admission to Aliah University. The application forms are released in March and the examination is generally held in the month of June.
Some of the important dates related to these exams are tabulated in the table below.
|Entrance Exam||Mode of Examination||Total Time||Date of Application||Date of Examination|
|IPU CET||Online||2 hours 30 minutes||Till July 20, 2020||To be notified|
|TISSNET||Online||1 hour 40 minutes||October 2019||January 04, 2020|
|PUCET||Online||1 hour 10 minutes (each section)||Till September 27, 2020||October 10-11, 2020|
|MGU CAT||Online||1 hour 30 minutes||Till June 15, 2020||To be notified|
|AUAT||Online||2 hours||May 15 to June 15, 2020||June 25-26, 2020|
How to Prepare for the MA Sociology Entrance Exams?
If you wish to score well in the entrance test, then you must be well prepared in advance as preparation is very important for your examination. Here are a few important preparation tips for you.
- Know your syllabus thoroughly. Some of the important topics from which questions are generally asked in the entrance test are Indian Society, Concepts and Theories in Sociology, Current Affairs and Methods of Sociological Enquiry.
- Time management is really important. You should properly divide the syllabus into different parts and complete each part within a definite span of time. This will help you to complete your syllabus in an organized way.
- Practising previous year’s question papers is also important. The examination will be of 1 to 2 hours. So, you must try to complete an entire paper within that time.
- Make sure that you revise all the important sections properly before the date of the examination. Revision constitutes an important part of preparation. Until and unless you revise well, you will never be able to score well in the entrance test.
- You must know the pattern of questions asked in the entrance test so that you can prepare accordingly and acquire a really good score.
- Get hold of all the important books for that particular entrance test and read them thoroughly. You must also have a very good grasp of your graduation syllabus.
Check the TISSNET Cutoff 2020.
How to Get Admission in a Good MA Sociology College?
Getting admitted to a top-notch MA Sociology college isn’t an easy task. Here, we have shortlisted a few important points that you must keep in mind if you wish to get admitted to a good college.
- Try to acquire a good score in graduation. Your graduation marks will help you to fulfill the eligibility criteria of the college. You would require at least 50% marks in graduation to get admitted to a good college.
- In case there is an entrance test, be well prepared for it. Know the syllabus properly and read all the important sections thoroughly. Practice the previous year’s questions and also get a proper idea about the type of questions that are frequently asked in the examination.
- You must be well aware of all the important dates related to the admission process like date of admission, date of entrance test, etc. Make a note of all the important dates so that none of the dates skip out of your mind accidentally.
- Get to know about the quality of education offered by the institute where you wish to get admitted. You can do so by researching information on the internet. You should also know about the educational qualifications of the faculties who are currently teaching at that institution.
- You must also know the type of placements offered to the students by that particular institute.It is of extreme importance that you get to know about the placement scenario of the institution. Otherwise, you may have to regret later.
- Make a list of all the colleges around you that offers a Master in a Sociology course. Study their rankings properly. Also, read the ratings and reviews from the ex-students. Thus will help you to know the college better.
MA Sociology: What is it about?
- Sociology is all about the study of society and its various aspects. An MA Sociology teaches the students about the different elements of society and their interactions with each other.
- The students will get to know human society, its origin, its evolutionary stages, and the various problems associated with it. This will, in turn, help the students to discover ways of overcoming those problems.
- The course will prepare the students for a better understanding of the societies and the different communities across the world.
- The course has a number of specializations in disciplines like Religion and Society, Sociology of India, Political Sociology, Economic Sociology, etc. You can go for any of the courses depending on your interest.
- The MA Sociology course helps the students to develop better written and oral communication skills. They will be able to understand complex techniques and apply them in various real-life situations.
MA Sociology Course Highlights
|Full-form||Master of Arts in Sociology|
|Eligibility||Completed graduation in any discipline with a minimum of 45% to 50% marks.|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission or on the basis of Entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000- INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3.5 LPA - INR 6.5 LPA|
|Job Positions||Counselor, Administrator, Consultant, Journalist, Researcher|
|Top Recruiters||Monsanto India, Bayer Crop Science, Coromandel Fertilizers, Buhler India|
Why Study MA Sociology?
MA Sociology has always been a very popular course, especially in India. It is offered by a number of renowned organizations. Here are a few reasons as to why should you pursue an MA Sociology :
- The students will get to know about the society in which they belong. They will become aware of the different elements of society and how they interact with one another. The students will also get to know about the different hierarchies of the society.
- The students will have a better understanding of the different communities around them and they can take necessary measures for the improvement of the community. They will get to know how societies function in this contemporary world.
- The students will receive excellent job offers from health organizations, international companies, and law firms at the end of their course. The academic career option is also open to them. They may also teach at educational institutes.
- The average salary earned by a fresher is around 3.5 LPA - 6.5 LPA. The salary will largely depend upon your job profile and your designation. With time and experience, the salary will definitely increase.
- The students may also pursue research in various fields. They can go for a Ph.D. or an M.Phil in Sociology. A number of universities in India offer Ph.D. courses in Sociology.
MA Sociology vs MA Social Work
There are various courses that are similar to the MA Sociology course. One such course is MA Social Work. Let us see how these courses differ from one another.
|Parameters||MA Sociology||MA Social Work|
|Qualification||Master of Arts in Sociology||Master of Arts in Social Work|
|Course Overview||Master of Arts in Sociology mainly centres around society, its various important segments and their interaction with one another.||Master of Arts Social Work deals with the different ways in which society can be benefitted by human beings. It involves social work practices in hospitals, communities, etc.|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any stream with a minimum of 45% to 50% marks.||Minimum 50% score in graduation in any stream|
|Admission Process||Direct admission or entrance test||Direct Admission or Entrance test.|
|Average Fee||INR 5,000- INR 2,00,000||INR 20,000- INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,50,000 - 6,50,000||INR 2,00,000 - 3,00,000|
|Colleges||Loyola College, Chennai St. Xavier's College, Kolkata Nizam College, Hyderabad||TATA Institute of Social Science (TISS), Mumbai Delhi University, Delhi Christ University, Bangalore Loyola College, Chennai|
|Recruiting Areas||Law firms, international organizations, human resource departments, health and welfare organizations.||Healthcare, social services, international NGOs and human rights departments.|
|Top Job Profiles||Lecturer, Professor, Counselor, Administrator,||Social Activist, Program Manager, Program Coordinator, Social Counselor.|
Source: College Websites
Also, go through the full list of top MA Social Work Colleges in India.
MA Sociology Top Colleges
MA Sociology is taught at various institutes across India. Here, we have mentioned some of the top MA Sociology Colleges of India:
|The Week 2019 Rank||College Name||City||Average Course Fee||Average Salary|
|4||Loyola College||Chennai||INR 40,000||INR 3,50,000|
|9||St. Xavier’s College||Kolkata||INR 60,000||INR 3,50,000|
|20||Jesus and Mary College||New Delhi||INR 34,000||INR 2,50,000|
|22||Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||INR 20,000||INR 8,00,000|
|30||Nizam College||Hyderabad||INR 54,000||INR 3,00,000|
|41||Sacred Heart College||Ernakulam||INR 87,000||INR 3,00,000|
|43||Mehr Chand Mahajan Dayanand Anglo Vedic College for Women||Chandigarh||INR 40,000||INR 5,50,000|
|46||Post Graduate Government College for Girls||Chandigarh||INR 44,000||INR 3,00,000|
|50||St. Mira’s College for Girls||Pune||INR 30,000||INR 3,50,000|
Source: College Websites
Out of all the top colleges offering an MA in a Sociology course, we have compared 3 colleges based on various important factors. Let us have a look at the comparison table given below:
|College Name||Loyola College, Chennai||St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata||Nizam College, Hyderabad|
|Overview||Loyola College was established in 1925 and it functions under the University of Madras. It offers a number of UG, PG and Doctorate courses in different streams.||St. Xavier's College is a very prestigious college in India. The college offers a huge number of undergraduate and postgraduate courses to the eligible students. It is an autonomous college established in 1860.||Nizam College is an AICTE approved public institution of Hyderabad that offers a wide range of courses to the students.|
|The Week 2019 Ranking||4||9||30|
|Average Fees||INR 40,000||INR 60,000||INR 54,000|
|Eligibility||Minimum 50% in graduation||Minimum 50% in graduation||Minimum 50% in graduation|
|Average CTC||INR 3,50,000||INR 3,50,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Company||HCL, Akshar Arbol Schools, Cactus, Real Foundations, Sutherland, etc.||Cognizant, IBM, Genpact, Wipro, Collegedunia, Google, etc.||Google, Infosys, Cognizant, Accenture, Amazon, Wipro|
Source: College Websites
MA Sociology Distance Education
This mode of education is especially useful for those candidates who are not able to attend the classes regularly. The total duration of the MA Sociology distance course is a maximum of 5 years. Some of the popular colleges/universities which offer a distance learning programme in Sociology are given below:
|Name of the institute||Location||Admission Process||Duration||Average Total Fee|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||New Delhi||Merit-based||2 years||INR 12,000|
|Center for Distance and Open Learning, Jamia Millia Islamia University||New Delhi||Merit-based||2 years||INR 20,000|
|School of Open Learning, University of Delhi||New Delhi||Entrance Test||2 years||INR 10,000|
|Annamalai University||Tamil Nadu||Merit-Based||2 years||INR 10,000|
|Karnataka State Open University||Karnataka||Merit-based||2 years||INR 13,500|
In open universities like IGNOU, the admission process is generally merit based. IGNOU will provide materials which the candidates will have to study themselves. At the end of the course, the candidate will have to go to any one of the IGNOU study centres to appear for the final examination. Check the complete list of IGNOU Study Centres in India.
MA Sociology Syllabus
Here, we have given the semester-wise syllabus for the Masters in a Sociology course. The syllabus may slightly differ from college to college.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Sociology of Kinship||Sociology of India|
|Religion and Society||Economic Sociology|
|Sociological Theories||Sociology of Development|
|Political Sociology||Methods of Sociological Research|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Industry and Society||Urban Sociology|
|Sociology of Symbolism||Populations and Society|
|Gender and Society||Sociology of Science|
|Sociology of Organizations||Sociology of Media|
|Sociology of Education||Agrarian Structure|
Important Books for MA Sociology Course
Books constitute an important part of every course. Here, we have enlisted some of the important books for the MA Sociology course:
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Sociology||C. N. Shankar Rao|
|Indian Sociological Thought||B. K. Nagla|
|Sociological Theory||George Ritzer|
|Indian Society||M. Senthil Kumar, S Rijesh|
Some colleges like IGNOU provide their own study material for preparation.
MA Sociology Job Prospects and Career Prospects
The professional career path is also wide open for the MA Sociology students. They may acquire jobs in human resource departments, law firms and international organizations. Some of the common job profiles include researcher, consultant, administrator, etc.
The students may apply for jobs in various government sectors. They may teach at government schools and colleges. Various government offices also require MA Sociology students. However, an additional examination may be required.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Educator||An educator teaches at various schools and universities in India||INR 4,00,000|
|Counselors||Sociology students can become excellent counselors as they know how communities work.||INR 2,40,000|
|PR Executives||The Sociology students can become PR Executives because of their knowledge in civilizations.||INR 2,90,000|
|Marketing Research Executive||MA Sociology graduates can work as good marketing executives as they have a good grasp of cultural themes and symbols.||INR 4,80,000|
|Researcher||MA Sociology students can also carry out research activities in various organizations.||INR 4,00,000|
|Journalist||MA Sociology students can also establish a career in journalism. This career path is also open to them.,||INR 3,00,000|
Here, we have represented the salary trend of some of the popular job profiles of MA Sociology :
MA Sociology Future Scope
MA Sociology course has a very good future scope. The students have a lot of opportunities to become successful in this field.
- MA Sociology students can opt for higher studies. They may go for a Ph.D. or an M.Phil in Sociology if they wish to remain in the academic field. After that, they may either opt for research activities or teach at various academic organizations.
- The students may look for jobs in various health and welfare organizations, international organizations, law firms, etc. Some of the most popular job profiles for the MA Sociology students administrator, counselor, researcher, etc.
- Jobs are available for the MA Sociology students in various banking sectors as well as government sectors. In that case, they may have to qualify an additional examination.
- Some of the top recruiting areas for the MA Sociology students are Public Health and Welfare Organization, Law Firms, International Organizations, Advertising Firms and many more.
Check the full list of PhD Sociology Colleges in India.
MA Sociology FAQs
Ques. What is the scope for MA Sociology?
Ans. You may go for higher studies and pursue a Ph.D. You can also look for jobs in various sectors like law firms, health and welfare organizations, etc.
Ques. What should be my job profile after I complete my MA Sociology course?
Ans. The common job profiles are Counselor, Consultant, Administrator, Researcher, Lecturer/Professor, etc.
Ques. Does an MA Sociology from Ignou hold any value?
Ans. Nowadays, most PSUs and other organizations are declining students with a degree from IGNOU. However, there are a lot of organizations that accept distance learning program degrees.
Ques. Is an entrance test necessary for MA Sociology admission?
Ans. A number of popular Universities like JNU and DU conduct entrance tests for admission to the MA Sociology course. So, you will have to find out whether the college where you wish to study conducts an entrance test or not.
Ques. What is the best MA Sociology course?
Ans. MA Sociology has a number of specializations. You may choose your specializations according to your interest.
Ques. Can I do an MA Sociology after engineering?
Ans. Yes, graduate students from any discipline can apply for a MA Sociology course.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for an MA Sociology course?
Ans. You require a minimum of 45% to 50% in your graduation course.
Ques. What are the best colleges for a MA Sociology in India?
Ans. Some of the best colleges/ universities are Loyola University, Chennai, St. Xavier's College, Kolkata, Nizam College, Hyderabad and many more.
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for the MA Sociology course?
Ans. The average tuition fee is between INR 5,000 to INR 2,00,000
Ques. What are the placements after MA Sociology from JNU?
Ans. The placement scenario is quite good and over90% students get placed every year.
Ques. What should be my salary after completing my MA Sociology ?
Ans. Your expected salary should be between INR 3.5 LPA -INR 6.5 LPA.
Ques. Has the entrance test dates for the MSc in Agriculture courses been deferred due to COVID-19?
Ans. Yes, all examination dates have been deferred due to the present situation of the country. You can check the official website for the latest updates.