MBA Business Analytics or Master of Business Administration Business Analytics is a post-graduate programme which can be completed in 2 years.
The minimum requirement to apply for this course is a bachelor’s degree from a recognised university with a minimum 50% aggregate.
Admission for the course by top colleges like IIMB, IIMC, NIMS, etc is offered through entrance exams. Students who make the cut off in the entrance exam go further with the selection process.
The entrance exam varies from institute to institute. However, CAT is one of those exams accepted widely in all the colleges. Some more popular management entrance exams include MAT, XAT, GMAT, CMAT etc.
After the completion of this degree, students can apply to positions such as data analyst, project manager, statistician, predictive modeler etc.
The course focuses on areas of artificial intelligence, decision analysis, statistics, predictive modelling, marketing and many more for two years.
The average fee of the course across India is between INR 5- 15 LPA. However, the fees of the course vary on the basis of the university.
Tabulated below are the top MBA Business Analytics colleges in India, as per the rankings of NIRF, 2019
|NIRF Ranking 2019||Name of College||Admission Process||Average Annual Fee||Average Annual Placement|
|1||Indian Institute Of Management - [Iimb], Bangalore||CAT||23,15,000||20-25.40 LPA|
|3||Indian Institute Of Management - [Iimc], Kolkata||CAT||2,70,000||23-24.54 LPA|
|17||NIT Trichy, Tiruchirappalli||CAT||INR 14,01,520||15-18 LPA|
|18||Great Lakes Institute of Management, Chennai||CAT||INR 16,00,000||14-20 LPA|
|20||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai||NMAT||INR 8,50,000||15-17LPA|
After the completion of the course students can apply for positions such as Data Scientist, Statistician, Predictive Modeller, Quantitative Analyst, etc. The average salary of these professionals ranges from INR 8- 16 LPA.
Some of the top companies to work with are HCL, Google, Godrej, Amazon, Motorola, Oberoi, HP, Indusind Bank, etc
In order to gain more advanced knowledge in the domain, students can also choose to study further. M.Phil or Ph.D courses in management are the best options for higher education after successfully obtaining the MBA Business Analytics degree.
MBA Business Analytics Admission Process
The admission process for most of the top universities like IIMC, IIMB, NIT Trichy, etc is offered through entrance exams. The exams accepted vary depending on the university. Some of the popular entrance exams are CAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT
Below mentioned are the steps of MBA Business Analytics Admission:
Step 1: Along with having completed graduation, applicants are required to clear an entrance exam. Apply for the entrance exams accepted by the colleges you wish to apply for.
Step 2: Appear for the entrance examination.
Step 3: Colleges’ shortlist applicants on the basis of the scores and cut off lists are prepared. You need to clear the cut off to be able to proceed further with the admission process.
Step 4: Once you are done clearing the exam, be prepared for a group discussion, interview, or written ability test. These are conducted to further check the skills of the students.
Step 5: After getting through the entire admission process, you can enroll yourself in the respective college. Enrollment in the college is done after the verification of all the original academic and personal documents.
MBA Business Analytics Eligibility
To be eligible to pursue MBA Business Analytics the students must complete the following conditions-
- Completed Bachelor’s with a minimum 50% aggregate (45% for SC/ ST category) from a recognised university.
- Students who are waiting for their final results or are giving their final examination can also apply.
MBA Business Analytics Entrance Exams
It is essential to give an entrance exam to gain admission into MBA Business Analytics and make the cut off selected by the university or college.
Students should check which entrance tests are accepted by the college they wish to apply to and give those.
Some of the other MBA Business Analytics Entrance Exams are:
- CAT 2020: It is the Common Aptitude Test which is conducted online. It is accepted by most of the Business Colleges including IITs, IIMs among others.
- MAT 2020: The Management Aptitude Test is conducted 4 times a year. It can be given in both online and offline mode. Some of the colleges accepting it are NSHM Knowledge Campus, PIET etc.
- NMAT 2020: NMAT is conducted by the Graduate Management Aptitude Council. It is an online exam taken over a 75 day period through October to December.
- CMAT 2020: The Common Management Admission Test is a 3 hour online-based exam conducted by The National Testing Agency. It is accepted by colleges such as Great Lakes Institute, IIMR Indore etc.
- XAT 2020: It is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur on behalf of XAMI for more than 60 years now. It is a national level aptitude test
|Entrance Exams||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|CAT||August 7-September 25, 2020||November 24, 2020||Online|
|MAT||March 6-June 24, 2020||May 25-July 5, 2020||Pen Paper Based/ Computer-Based Mode and Internet-Based Tes|
|NMAT||July 2-October 5, 2020||October 6-December 19, 2020||Online Computer Based Test|
|CMAT||1st Week of November-2nd Week of December 2020||4th Week of January 2021||Online|
|XAT||3rd Week of August-1st Week of December 2020||1st Week of January 2021||Online|
How to Prepare for MBA Business Analytics Entrance Exams?
The sections from which the questions are made in the management entrances are as follows:
- Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation
- Quantitative Aptitude/Reasoning
In order to clear tough entrances like CAT, MAT, XAT, NMAT, here are a few preparation tips for you-
- Identify the entrance exam you want to apply for and note all the syllabus down.
- Start preparing as soon as possible for better results. Do not wait till the end to cover the syllabus.
- Give as many mock tests as you can to get a better understanding of the entrance exam paper and the pattern it follows.
- Highlight the weak and strong areas. Focus more on the weaker areas, so as to not lose marks while attempting them.
- If the exam is near, leave out the untouched syllabus and focus on strengthening all that you already know.
- Follow a proper time-table in order to be on the track.
How to get admission in a good MBA Business Analytics college?
Following are the tips to for you to secure an admission into a good MBA Business Analytics college in India:
- Make sure to have secured a good percentage in the bachelor’s degree.
- Prepare for the syllabus that is marked up for the exams. Take the help of recommended books, previous papers and mock tests.
- Try hard to crack the entrances with the needed cutt-offs.
- Even after making the cut off, one must be mentally prepared for further rounds, that is, personal interviews and group discussion.
- Keep the exam dates noted such as the registration, getting the admit card, the day of the exam.
- Remain devoted to your goals and try to know the current happenings in the world.
MBA Business Analytics: What is it about?
Refer to the following points to know what MBA Business Analytics is about:
- MBA Business Analytics is a methodical exploration for business or organisations of the data.
- It uses statistical analysis and helps give insights on their performance and helps companies improve and profit using previous data.
- The course comprises Computer simulation, optimization, statistics, decision analysis, artificial intelligence, and many more.
- The course consists of two fields of practice, one is Business Intelligence and another one is Advanced Analytics .
Business Intelligence practices includes:
- Online analytical processing
Advanced Analytics practices includes:
- Cluster analysis
- Data mining
- Simulation Algorithms
- The main component of MBA Business Analytics is the descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analysis that provides real time solutions to company related problems.
MBA Business Analytics: Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are as follows.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full- form||Master of Business Administration in Business Analytics|
|Eligibility||Graduation with minimum 50% from a recognized university.|
|Course Fee||INR 5- 15 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 8- 16 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||HCL, Google, Godrej, Amazon, Motorola, Oberoi, HP, Indusind Bank, etc|
|Job Positions||Data Scientist, Statistician, Predictive Modeller, Quantitative Analyst, Project Manager, Market Research Analyst, etc|
Why Study the MBA Business Analytics course?
- MBA Business Analytics offers skills and knowledge regarding analytics, applied and theoretical statistics is gained for job opportunities.
- Business analytics has relevance in every industry like Marketing, Finance, Consultancy, Intelligence, etc
- It offers a wide range of career options including data analyst, data scientist, technical team leader, data mining expert, qualitative analyst.
- Top companies such as Microsoft, Infosys, Wipro, Google Tata Group, Facebook, Linkedin etc. have positions for these students.
- Great salary packages are offered with the average ranging between INR 8- 16 LPA.
MBA Business Analytics is in high demand by various companies for the following reasons:
- The course provides faster answers to business questions.
- MBA Business Analytics comes with a deeper understanding of customer behavior.
- It provides On-demand business metrics reports to the companies.
The following table holds the comparison made between MBA Business Analytics vs MS in Business Analytics on major parameters:
|Parameters||MBA Business Analytics||MS in Business Analytics|
|Qualification||Master of Business Administration in Business Analytics||Master of Business Administration in Finance|
|Course Overview||The field focuses on technical and business domains which aim to deal with technology and data driven environments. It follows a business and industry approach of study.||The field deals with management and business subjects as well as provides training in financial management.|
|Eligibility||Graduation with minimum 50% from a recognized university.||Bachelor degree from a recognized college.|
|Admission||Entrance-based||Merit + Entrance Exams|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 5- 15 LPA||INR 5-10 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 8- 16 LPA||INR 6- 12 LPA|
|Colleges||NIT Trichy, Lovely Professional University, Amity University, IFMR Graduate School of Business||Chennai Mathematical Institute , Christ University - Bangalore, VIT Vellore, Fergusson College Pune, etc|
Source: University Websites and Payscale
MBA Business Analytics Colleges
Tabulated below are some of the top MBA Business Analytics Colleges in India with their average fees, salary and location.
|College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Indian Institute Of Management - [Iimb]||Bangalore||23,15,000||20-25.40 LPA|
|Indian Institute Of Management - [Iimc]||Kolkata||2,70,000||23-24.54 LPA|
|NIT Trichy||Tiruchirappalli||14,01,520||15-18 LPA|
|Great Lakes Institute of Management||Chennai||16,00,000||14-20 LPA|
|Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai||8,50,000||15-17LPA|
|Institute of Management, Christ University||Bangalore||3,79,000||8-12LPA|
|Universal Business School||Karjat||15, 72,805||7-10 LPA|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||3,04,000||8-20 LPA|
|Pune Institute of Business Management||Pune||7,95,000||6- 11 LPA|
|Institute of Management, Nirma University||Ahmedabad||502,000||8.7-13 LPA|
The table drawn below is the comparison between some of the best MBA Business Analytics Colleges in India based on a few parameters like The NIRF Rankings, Fees, Salary, etc.
|Parameters||NIT Trichy||Great Lakes Institute of Management||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies|
|Overview||NIT Trichy is one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology in India. It offers 10 undergraduate and 28 graduate programs.||Great Lakes Institute of Management is ranked among the most innovative B-schools in business for the future. It offers 2 full time and 4 corporate programs in business.||NMIMS offers courses in B.Tech, M.Tech, MBA, BBA. It also offers them in the form of diplomas, PhD and PG Diploma.|
|Average Fees||INR 14,01,520||INR 21,50,000||INR 8,50,000|
|Average Placement||INR 15-18 LPA||INR 14-20 LPA||INR 15-17LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Cognizant, Amazon, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, L&T||BFSI, IT/ITES, and Tech Consulting, Accenture Strategy & Technology, HCL, Deloitte US & India and ZS Associates||ICICI Bank, Honeywell, L&T Infotech, Kotak Mahindra Bank, Aditya Birla Capital, HDFC bank, Cognizant, Max Life Insurance, OYO|
Source: University Websites and Payscale
MBA Business Analytics Syllabus
The 2 years course is divided into 4 semesters. The syllabus consists of various MBA Business Analytics subjects like Statistical Analysis, Business Intelligence, etc.
Throughout the entire course duration, students need several industry visits as well. MBA Business Analytics Syllabus is a mixture of both theoretical and practical approaches to study.
A semester wise detailed MBA Business Analytics Syllabus is given below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Quantitative Methods||Financial Management|
|Managerial Economics||Operations Management|
|Management Information Systems||Human Resource Management|
|Financial Accounting||Financial Analytics|
|Marketing Management||Optimization Analytics|
|Organizational Behaviour||Stochastic Modeling|
|Statistical Analysis||Business Intelligence|
|Data Modeling||Research Methods|
|Computational Methods||Managerial Communication|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Predictive Analytics||Strategic Management|
|Risk Management||Operations and Supply Chain Analytics|
|Marketing Analysis||HR Analytics|
|Data Mining||Big Data Analytics|
|Simulation Modeling||Ethical and Legal Aspects of Analytics|
|Analytics Systems Analysis & Design||Project Management|
|Industry Internship Programme||Professional Development|
|-||Analytics Capstone Project|
MBA Business Analytics Jobs and Career Options
Successful postgraduates can secure jobs as Business Analyst,, Business Analyst Project Manager, Data Analyst, Business Intelligence Expert, and Data Mining Expert, etc.
Industries such as Financial Services, Retail, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Oil and Gas, Social Media, Gaming, will also offer employment to candidates.
Some of the well-known employers are Accenture, HP, IBM, Cognizant, Tata Consultancy Services, American Express, and so on
The following table gives a list of the MBA Business Analytics jobs and their average salary offered in MBA Business Analytics
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary in INR|
|Data Scientist||Utilise the analytical, statistical and data niche to collect, organise and solve complex problems of businesses||15 LPA|
|Statistician||Use theoretical or applied statistics to collect, organise, summarise data to give useful information||10 LPA|
|Market Research Analyst||Their aim is to help a company’s profits grow by using what data is available.||8 LPA|
|Quantitative Analyst||Strategize to help maximise the efficiency of trade stocks||9 LPA|
|Project Manager||They help manage projects and project objectives including budgets, costs, goals etc.||12 LPA|
|Data Mining Expert||These experts are responsible building, deploying and maintaining data support tools, and database file/ table creation||6 LPA|
|Business Analyst||They examine data and documents to understand consumer needs or to fulfil internal needs of the organisation. They make complex data comprehendible.||11 LPA|
MBA Business Analytics Scope
The world of Business Analytics usually revolves around ‘Big Data’ and pursuing a career in this field can offer you a number of opportunities. It is predicted that by the end of year 2020, 40 Zettabytes of data will be in existence leading to a shot in career opportunities for both Business analysts and Data Scientists. MBA Business Analytics might take your career to:
- Descriptive Analysis: In the descriptive analysis, you would be assigned to get a thorough insight into ways to apply data to understand and find solutions to past and future business situations.
- Predictive Analysis: The predictive analysis involves the analysis of the business performance of your organization in the past.
- Prescriptive Analysis: Here, you explore and sort out optimization procedures to ensure stronger productivity and other factors. This leads to better returns for the company.
After having an MBA Business Analytics degree, a student can go for higher studies as well. They can pursue M.Phil or Ph.D courses in management to not only get a better grip over the subject, but also for ample research opportunities.
MBA Business Analytics FAQs
Ques. What can you do after an MBA Business Analytics?
Ans. After the completion of the degree, you can apply for job opportunities as a data analyst, project manager, market research manager, project modeller, data scientist etc.
Ques. Which is better an MBA or MS in Business Analytics?
Ans. An MBA in Business Analytics will give you a wider set of future opportunities while an MS in Business analytics will help score jobs in the data science sector.
Ques. Does MBA Business Analytics include coding/ programming?
Ans. MBA Business analysts deal with work in the IT sector but they do not need to know coding nor do they require it.
Ques. Is an MBA in Business Analytics worth it?
Ans. This specialization in MBA is worth it as it provides skill and knowledge in using data, analytics and statistics.
Ques. Which are some of the best colleges for MBA Business Analytics?
Ans. Some of the top colleges for MBA in Business Analytics are-
- Lovely Professional University
- Great Lakes Institute of Management
- NIT Trichy
Ques. Which entrance exam is the best to get into the MBA program of Business Analytics?
Ans. The entrance exam required by each university or college varies based on individual preference. Students should give the exam based on the university or college they wish to apply to. Some of the most common exams are CAT, NMAT, MAT among others.
Ques. Can you apply for this program without an entrance exam?
Ans. No, most universities do require the minimum cut off in the entrance exam of their choice to be applicable for admission to the MBA Business Analytics program.
Ques. Which companies can you apply to after an MBA in Business Analytics?
Ans. Some of the top companies which hire students with this qualification are Google, Amazon, HP, Motorola, Godrej, HCL etc.