Master of Business Administration or MBA Strategic Management is a 2-year long postgraduate course which has been designed to ensure that the students’ know how to make management decisions which will improve a company's performance. Under this programme, the students would be taught the skill of business analysis and strategy skills.
Check the full list of top MBA Strategic Management Colleges in India.
Students who have completed their Bachelor’s degree from a recognised university are eligible for this course. The students can complete their graduation in any stream. Many colleges also ask for a minimum of 50% marks in graduation. Premier colleges might ask for 60%.
The admission to this course is usually on the basis of entrance exams. Few colleges would conduct a round of personal interview or exam. The cutoff required for admission would vary from college to college.
MBA Strategic Management is a specific specialization course that is available in only a few colleges in India. The average annual fees would be between INR 92,000 to 15,00,000, depending on the institute.
The table below gives the top colleges for MBA Strategic Management in India.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|16||IIT Kanpur||Kanpur||Entrance Based||INR 92,617||INR 8,80,000|
|31||Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB)||Bangalore||Entrance Based||INR 7,70,000||INR 14,00,000|
|44||Institute of Management, NIRMA University||Ahmedabad||Entrance Based||INR 4,47,600||INR 9,00,000|
|49||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||Entrance Based||INR 2,32,000||INR 19,75,000|
|53||IFMR University||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 8,80,000||INR 8,20,000|
The aim of the course is to develop expertise in a particular aspect of the business. In short, it ensures that students have mastered business theory about what factors influence a company's success or failure in order to be able to make strategic decisions.
The course is designed in a manner to equip students with the knowledge in commerce as well as in the field of computer programming and computer systems.
A student who has completed an MBA Strategic Management has career opportunities in a variety of fields. Students can work as Financial Analyst, Business Analyst, Research Investigator, Project Analyst, Compliance Officer, Product Strategist, etc.
The highest annual salary of around INR 18,00,000 can be expected after completing this course, while an average annual salary around INR 4,00,000-INR 10,00,000 is given.
Further study options post completion of the course include CFA, FRM, CRMA, etc. The students can also go on to earn an MPhil or PhD degree in Management.
MBA Strategic Management Admission Process
The universities follow the system of entrance based admissions, where few colleges might have a round of personal interview also. Admission process with respect to admission through exams varies from college to college.
- Most of the colleges have an online application system when once the link is opened you can apply through the prescribed link.
- In the case of colleges which have an entrance exam or interview, the result would be based on your performance in graduation and in the entrance.
- In cases of colleges which give admission based on your CAT, MAT scores, then it would be based on how well you have performed in the common entrance exams.
Steps to follow for applying for MBA Strategic Management :
- Step 1: Go to the website of the college that you are interested in.
- Step 2: Check if they have their own exam and if you are eligible for the same.
- Step 3: Check if they take students based on the marks of any of the common exams like CAT, MAT, etc.
- Step 4: Create an id or fill in a form as prescribed. Fill the details and pay the prescribed fees. Also, submit the required documents if needed.
- Step 5: Finally, keep checking the college website for recent updates and notifications with regards to the same.
Check the admission process of IIT Kanpur in detail.
MBA Strategic Management Eligibility
- Students must complete their Bachelor’s of any discipline from any recognised university.
- Students must have a minimum 50% aggregate marks in their graduation.
- Students must qualify in the required entrance examination to be eligible for the course.
MBA Strategic Management Entrance Exams
Most of the colleges in India take admission based on the marks received in CAT or other common MBA exams, or on the basis of exams conducted by colleges. The question pattern would vary from college to college.
Some of the most popular MBA entrance exams are discussed below.
- GMAT: This is an internationally recognised MBA entrance exam that will allow you to study in the top colleges all around the world including India. The test consists of four sections: Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Verbal Reasoning.
- CAT (Common Admission Test): This is the common entrance exam for MBA conducted by the IIM for admission for an MBA to the Indian Institutes of Management all over India. The test consists of three sections: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Ability.
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT): The standardised test for admission to Business Schools (B-Schools) for MBA and allied programmes in India.
- CMAT: Common Management Admission Test is an online computer-based test conducted for admission in all management programmes approved by AICTE.
|Entrance Exam||Conducting Body||Entrance Dates||Application Date||Mode of writing|
|GMAT||GMAC||Candidates can choose their own date||Throughout the Year||Online|
|CAT||IIM Council||Last Week of November 2020 (Tentative)||First Week of August, 2020 (tentative)||Online|
|MAT||AIMA||August 27 - September 2, 2020||July 14 - August 22, 2020||Online/Offline|
|CMAT||NTA||4th Week of January, 2021 (Tentative)||1st Week of November, 2020 (tentative)||Online|
|NMAT||GMAC||August 1 - October 5, 2020||August 1 - October 18, 2020||Online|
*Dates might change due to COVID-19
How to Prepare for the MBA Strategic Management Entrance Exam?
Following points should be kept in mind while preparing for the MBA Entrance exams:
- Study daily for at least 5 hours. Make a timetable and stick to it.
- Study according to the syllabus provided.
- Practice and improve on your Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning and Quantitative Ability.
- Solve previous question papers and practise mock test papers.
- Ask your friends to conduct mock interviews with you.
- Revise on your basics of Mathematics, Commerce and Marketing taught in 10+2.
- Time yourself when attempting mock tests so you can identify your weak areas.
- Give more attention to your weak areas while studying.
How to Get Admission in a Good MBA Strategic Management College?
- Most of the colleges grant admission to the candidates who have scored a minimum 50-60% in their graduation. So, make sure that you score well in graduation.
- Try to attempt as many MBA entrance exams as you can.
- Most of the top colleges usually have a cutoff of above 95 percentile. So, make sure that you score well in the entrance exams.
- Keep a track of all the news updates of the colleges that you want to apply to. In case of doubt, call the management and get updated information.
- Keep conducting mock interviews for oneself.
- Talk to alumni from those colleges to get a clear idea of what to do.
Also, read more on CAT 2020 Cutoff.
MBA Strategic Management: What is it About?
- An MBA Strategic Management equips students with knowledge about the market. It teaches how to tackle the market in such a manner that the business churns out revenue and profit.
- The degree will teach the students how to be strategic by using the help of lots of case studies.
- The students will be asked to analyse different companies and the company’s strategies.
- This course enhances the student’s analytic skill and equips them with skills like Market Research and Data Collection. It also teaches them how to put the data received into good use.
- Some of the subjects covered in this course are the Modern Business Organization and Management, Business Policies & Strategic Management, Business Research Methodology, etc.
- Students will gain an in-depth understanding of how to be analytic and how to assess the manner in which the customers or clients will react.
MBA Strategic Management: Course Highlights
The main points with regards to this course have been highlighted like the fees, salary that can expect, job opportunities, etc in the table below:
|Full-Form||Master of Business Administration in Strategic Management|
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Eligibility||Bachelors of any discipline from a recognised university with a minimum 50% aggregate.|
|Admission process||Entrance based|
|Course fees||INR 92,000- INR 15,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5,00,000 to INR 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Tata Consultancy Services, Reliance, Cognizant, Wipro, ICICI Bank, Amazon, Apple, etc|
|Job position||Financial Analyst, Business Analyst, Research Investigator, Project Analyst, Compliance Officer|
Why Should You Study MBA Strategic Management?
- Students who have this degree have an edge over other candidates during job interviews as they are good in strategizing and management.
- A candidate who has a degree in this course is assumed to have valuable skills in marketing and strategizing.
- Having an advanced level of expertise in strategic management is useful as it can be used for one’s own betterment and future career growth.
- The salary difference is comparatively high compared to a normal degree or other specializations.
- The job opportunities are varied and great as you can work as a budget analyst, project management coordinator, process coordinator, business development coordinator, marketing consultant, consumer insight analyst, etc.
- You can work in business, marketing, financial services, and also work in both public as well as in private sectors.
- The salary packages offered are quite high with an average salary of around INR 5,00,000 - 10,00,000 and most of the colleges have good placements drive.
- In the future, you could also choose to do various certificate courses which are internationally recognised that would help you to go up on your career ladder.
MBA Strategic Management vs MBA Human Resources
MBA HR is a course which is appropriate for candidates who have a foundational business background and want to focus more on human resource management. Whereas, MBA Strategic Management will equip candidates with skills required for a career in business management. The two courses have been compared below.
|Parameters||MBA Strategic Management||MBA Human Resources|
|Full-Form||Masters in Business Administration in Strategic Management||Masters in Business Administration in Human Resources|
|Course Overview||A postgraduate course which has been designed to ensure that the students’ know how to make management decisions which will improve a company's performance.||The programme imparts knowledge and training in managing, paying and recruiting the workforce of the organization.|
|Eligibility||Bachelors of any discipline from any recognised university with a minimum 50% aggregate.||Bachelors of any discipline from any recognised university with a minimum 50% aggregate.|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 9,50,000 - INR 15,00,000||INR 1,00,000 - INR 17,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5,00,000 - INR 10,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - INR 8,00,000|
|Colleges||NIRMA University, IFMR university||Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Indian Institute of Management (IIM)Ranchi, Management Development Institute|
|Job positions||Financial Analyst, Business Analyst, Research Investigator, Project Analyst, Compliance Officer||HR Generalist, Staffing Director, Technical Recruiter, Compensation Manager, Employee Relations Manager|
Source: College Websites
Also go through the full list of top MBA HR Colleges in India.
MBA Strategic Management Top Colleges
MBA Strategic Management is a specific specialization course and it is available in only a few colleges in India. The table below gives the top colleges with respect to this course in India along with the fees structure and expected placement package.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|16||IIT Kanpur||Kanpur||INR 92,617||INR 8,80,000|
|31||Xavier Institute of Management (XIMB)||Bangalore||INR 7,70,000||INR 14,00,000|
|44||Institute of Management, NIRMA University||Ahmedabad||INR 4,47,600||INR 9,10,000|
|49||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 2,32,000||INR 19,75,000|
|53||IFMR Krea University||Chennai||INR 8,80,000||INR 8,20,000|
|54||Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology||Patiala||INR 4,14,860||INR 8,60,000|
|63||Indian Institute of Technology||Chennai||INR 14,000||NA|
|NA||Suresh Gyan Vihar University||Jaipur||INR 42,500||INR 3,00,000|
|NA||C K D Institute of Management & Technology||Punjab||INR 1,65,000||INR 5,50,000|
|NA||Osmania University, Department Of Business Management||Hyderabad||INR 50,000||INR 3,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Here is a comparison between the best colleges offering MBA Strategic Management in India. In the table below, we have taken three top colleges that offer this course to do a comparative analysis in the lines of the eligibility process, fees, recruitment, etc.
|Parameters||NIRMA University||IFMR Krea University||IIT Kanpur|
|Overview||It is a deemed University located in Ahmedabad. It is one of the top business schools in India and provides various UG and PG level courses across Management, Engineering, Science, Arts and Commerce.||IFMR Graduate School of Business at Krea University is a private business school located in Sri City. It is a specialised Business School mainly focusing on MBA and PGDM courses.||One of the topmost Public Technical and Research Universities in India, IIT Kanpur has been consistently ranked in the management category as well. It mainly focuses on Engineering, Management and Research-Based Science Courses.|
|Rank||NIRF 2020- 44||NIRF 2020- 53||NIRF 2020- 16|
|Eligibility||50% minimum aggregate in qualifying exams||50% minimum aggregate in qualifying exams||55% minimum aggregate in qualifying exams|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Fees||INR 4,47,600||INR 8,80,000||INR 92,317|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 9,10,000||INR 8,20,000||INR 8,80,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Amul, Dabur, ITC, Hindustan Unilever, McEnroe, Mondelez International, Nestle India Limited, Reckitt Benckiser, TTK Prestige, Zydus Wellness||ANZ, Bajaj Finserv, Bank of America, Barclays, Crisil, Federal bank, Fincare, GIC Housing Finance, HDFC Bank, ICICI Prudential Life, Societe Generale, IDFC First Bank, JP Morgan Chase, Deloitte USI, Ernst & Young||Tiger Analytics, ford, IBM, Indiamart, Just pay, Ecom express, Deloitte, Reckitt Benckiser, HSBC, HDFC bank|
Source: College Websites
MBA Strategic Management Distance Education
MBA Strategic Management is offered in distance mode in very few colleges in India.
- The duration of these courses varies from 1 to 4 years, but generally it is of 2 years duration.
- The average annual fees for MBA Strategic Management Distance Learning is INR 50,000.
- The course will include Study Materials and online lecture series.
- The students will have to appear at the term end and course end examinations.
Two of the most popular colleges providing this course in distance mode have been tabulated below.
MBA Strategic Management Syllabus
This is the syllabus for the MBA students enrolled for this course, there might be few changes depending from college to college.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Modern Business Organization and Management||Business Research Methodology|
|Global Business Environment & Economics||Modern Marketing Management|
|Accounting & Financial Management||Information Technology for Business|
|HR & OB||Production Operations & SCM|
|Business & Corporate Law||Business Communication Skills|
|Semester II||Semester IV|
|Business Policies & Strategic Management||Business Ethics & Corporate Governance|
|Introduction To Strategic Management||Global Strategic Management|
|Environment For Strategic Management||Strategic Finance|
|Strategic HRM||Implementation Of Strategies|
|Strategic Marketing Management||Project Work|
*Few subjects may vary from college to college.
MBA Strategic Management Important Books
Some of the useful books for MBA Strategic Management students have been listed below.
|The Principles of Scientific Management||Taylor, F.W.|
|Strategy for a Networked World||Ramirez, R., & Mannervik,|
|The Social License: How to Keep Your Organization Legitimate||J. Morrison|
|Strategy Without Design: The Silent Efficacy of Indirect Action||Chia, R.C.H., & Holt, R|
MBA Strategic Management Job Prospects and Career Options
- Students who have completed MBA Strategic Management will get jobs in both Public and Private sectors.
- They can work in a variety of fields ranging from advertising, e-business and management related jobs.
- They can work in many reputed companies post completion of the degree.
- They can work as Business Analyst, Financial Analyst, Business Analyst, Research Investigator, Project Analyst, Compliance Officer, Product Strategist, Strategic Initiatives Associate, Project Management Coordinator, etc.
Below table lists some of the top job profiles along with their description and salary.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Business Analyst||To help the company by guiding businesses in improving processes, products, services and software through data analysis||INR 6,50,000|
|Business Development Coordinator||A person who is in charge of handling any logistics required for running a business by to provide support to an organization in administrative functions like purchasing, billing, reporting and filing||INR 4,50,000|
|Marketing Consultant||Provide marketing strategies and execute these strategies by monitoring outcomes, identifying new markets, etc.||INR 6,40,000|
|Consumer Insight Analyst||To help companies to understand their clients by performing research and data collection with regards to sales trends and client satisfaction.||INR 5,00,000|
Source: Payscale and Glassdoor
MBA Strategic Management Future Scope
- MBA Strategic Management has various and wide career options which in turn makes it easier for you to choose as per your requirements or passion.
- There are a variety of international recognised certificate courses that you can study which will help in your future career growth.
- You can study for Financial Risk Management and clear the required qualifying exam if you are interested in a career in risk management where the certificate course is offered by internationally recognised association GARP.
- You can study CRMA which is a certification course that will help you be recognised as a certified risk management assurance employee who is able to handle risk management profile easily.
- You can also opt for an MPhil or PhD degree in Business Management.
MBA Strategic Management FAQs
Ques. What is the average salary that I can expect on completion of my MBA Strategic Management?
Ans. You can expect around INR 5,00,000 to INR 10,00,000 per annum.
Ques. What course can I pursue after completing the MBA Strategic Management?
Ans. One can pursue CFA, FRM, CRMA, etc.
Ques. What type of careers is available for MBA Strategic Management graduates?
Ans. You can work in consulting, HR, strategic positions, etc.
Ques. Does MBA Strategic Management have any scope in India?
Ans. Yes, as it all boils down to the best strategy that will bring in more revenue or profits to the company, the scope for this course is increasing in India.
Ques. Is this a good field?
Ans. Yes, it is a good field as people who are skilled in business tactics or strategies are always in demand.
Ques. Is an MBA an expensive course?
Ans. MBA, in general, is slightly expensive. The fees differ from college to college.