Master of Divinity (magister divinitatis in Latin) or also termed as MDiv, is known to be one of the first professional degrees in spiritual philosophy. The course curriculum mainly includes subjects related to Christian ministry and theology.
MDiv is a 3-year post-graduate course for students seeking to join the Pastoral profession. In this course, students study about ministerial skills, theology, history, language, the bible, and thus gain specialized knowledge in religious beliefs.
Admission to the program is based on the performance of the students in the entrance examinations conducted by different institutes. The syllabus of examination mainly consists of English and Knowledge of the Bible. The whole curriculum is divided into six semesters.
To join the course, students must possess a graduation degree (B.A./ B. Sc/ B. Com) from a recognized university or Bachelor of Theology from a recognized institute like Senate of Serampore, Asia Theological Association, etc with a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate.
The average tuition fee for the course is approximately INR 28,000 to 2.25 lakhs. Some of the top colleges in India that offer MDiv are mentioned below -
|Institute Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|New India Bible Seminary, Changanacherry||Entrance examination||INR 50000|
|India Bible College and Seminary, Kumbanad||Entrance examination||INR 2.25 Lacs|
|Faith Baptist Bible College and Seminary, Ernakulam||Entrance examination||INR 90,000|
|South Asia Institute of Advanced Asian Studies, Bengaluru||Entrance examination||INR 1.5 Lacs|
|Southern Asia Bible College, Bengaluru||Entrance examination||INR 80,000|
After completion of the course, students get placed in various roles in Chapels, Ministries, schools, hospitals, colleges, etc. The average starting salary received by the students in India is INR 6 lakhs per annum. The salary increases with the advancement in experience and expertise.
Although there are various roles to join post completion of MDiv, one can also study further and get degrees like Doctor of Divinity or Doctor of Sacred Theology, etc.
Master of Divinity (MDiv.) Admission Process
Many of the institutes collect online applications, while some accept offline as well as online registrations. A few institutes also provide direct admission to the course.
A step by step guide is mentioned below to apply online for the MDiv course -
Step 1- Go to the admission portal and register with a valid email id and phone number.
Step 2- Fill the application form properly.
Step 3- Upload the scanned copy of the necessary documents, photographs, and signature.
Step 4- Check the application form again to make sure that the form is filled properly.
Step 5- Pay the prescribed application fee to complete the application process.
Candidates who wish to pursue the course must fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria. The minimum eligibility criteria for acceptance into an MDiv course is mentioned below -
- The candidate must possess a graduation or equivalent degree in a relevant discipline from a recognized university.
- The candidate is required to have completed the Graduation course in any of the following- BA, B.Sc, B.Com, or Bachelor of Theology (B.Th).
- Bachelor of Theology degree should be acquired from the Asia Theological Association or Senate of Serampore.
- Candidates should possess at least 50% marks in aggregate while completing their graduation.
- Students who are currently studying in their final year of Graduation can also apply on a provisional basis.
- Candidates who do not meet the minimum educational qualification, but possess related experience and expertise, and are more than 30 years old, can apply for admission to the course as mature candidates.
All the eligible candidates would need to pass the entrance examination and personal interview in order to join the course.
MDiv Entrance Exam
Most of the institutes offering this course, like Faith Baptist Bible College and Seminary, South Asia Institute of Advanced Asian Studies, etc. conduct an entrance test for admission to the course. The entrance examination mainly tests the students’ knowledge about the Bible, General Knowledge, and the English language. Some of the popular institutes which conduct an entrance examination for admission to the course are mentioned below-
- Faith Baptist Bible College and Seminary, Ernakulam,
- South Asia Institute of Advanced Asian Studies, Bengaluru,
- India Bible College and Seminary, Kumbanad,
- New India Bible Seminary, Changanacherry
These institutes allow eligible applicants to the entrance examination, those who pass in the entrance examination are then called for an interview.
How to prepare for the MDiv Entrance Examination?
Though different institutes conduct entrance examinations individually, the main topics of the entrance examination are consistent among them. The entrance examination mainly tests the students’ knowledge about the following-
- The Bible
- General Knowledge, and
- English language.
Students who are well versed in these topics can easily crack the examination. Fluency in language and an exhaustive knowledge of the Bible will certainly help the student in the interview itself as well and depending on a candidate’s performance in both written examination and interview, the final merit list will be prepared.
How to get admission in a good MDiv college?
- Master of Divinity is a postgraduate course hence, one should focus on their graduation and ensure good marks.
- As most of the colleges provide admission on the basis of entrance examinations, preparing well for the entrance exams is a must.
- Candidates should be well versed with the syllabus and latest pattern of the entrance examinations.
- Candidates should note down the important dates related to the application, entrance exam, admission, and keep them in mind.
- Candidates should start preparing as soon as they can so that once they’ve completed the syllabus they can revise it and also attempt some mock papers.
- Candidates should write the exam with a calm mind and try to optimize the score.
- Candidates can prepare themselves for the interview by keeping them updated about the latest affairs, they can also go for some mock interviews before appearing for the real one.
MDiv: What is it about?
Divinity is a liberal subject that needs a different kind of mental orientation and one cannot approach the course with a pragmatic or secular kind of mindset. If you wish to make a career or wealth or have motives of earnings then this course might not be for you after all, as it requires more of a spiritual inclination to progress.
Aims and objectives
- The Master of Divinity program is designed in such a way that it allows the students to gain both extensive theological knowledge and ministry skills.
- It also allows the students to do specialization in a theological subject of the students’ choice. The subjects available for specialization are Theology, Biblical Studies, Practical Theology, Intercultural and Religious Studies.
- This course fulfils the minimum eligibility criteria that one needs to possess to be able to teach at the Graduate level (Bachelor of Theology).
- The curriculum is designed to prepare students for the work of the Christian Ministry through a comprehensive study of the biblical and theological disciplines along with discovering, nurturing and developing themselves to become more effective in the service of the religion and people.
- It is a multidisciplinary course that involves the study of different languages and history in detail, this makes the student well-versed in many other aspects as well.
MDiv Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Master of Divinity|
|Admission Process||Entrance based|
|Course Fee||INR 28000 to 2.25 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 6 lakhs|
|Job Positions||Youth Pastor, Associate Pastor, Hospice Chaplain, Hospital Chaplain, Pastor, Inspirational Speaker, Scholar, Counsellor, etc.|
Why Pursue a Master of Divinity (MDiv)?
- The Master of Divinity (MDiv) degree, is a qualifying requirement for individuals who are interested in performing the activities related to a Pastoral profession.
- It is also considered as a professional degree that allows the learner to become ordained to the clergy.
- People who hold a Master’s degree in Divinity often find themselves working with people for their betterment, hence those who like to work with people for different social causes can join the course.
- The work profile one gets after Master of Divinity often includes initiating social and cultural activities hence it is an exciting course for people who love to organize social and cultural events.
- Many students become motivators and speakers after acquiring the degree, those who like to motivate people for their individual good, and the collective good of the society can join the course.
- The Master of Divinity (MDiv) symbolizes that the holder of the degree has received education in a multidisciplinary area of study, which is an amalgamation of history, culture, language, and theology. This makes one a very good candidate for jobs in those specializations, especially if one adds another field of study to their existing degree, MA in history or language or psychology, etc for example.
Master of Divinity (MDiv) Course Comparison
MDiv vs M.Th: Master of Divinity and Master of Theology, both of the courses are related to the nature of divine and faith. Both of these courses serve a similar purpose, but they have a few key differences. Some of the differences between the Master of Theology and Master of Divinity are mentioned below:
|Full form||Master of Divinity||Master of Theology|
|Duration||3 years||2 years|
|Main Aim of Study||The Master of Divinity course prepares the students for being leaders or representatives in the churches.||The master of Theology course prepares the students for serving in churches for noble causes or working as a social worker or religious teacher.|
|Average Fees||INR 28,000 to 2.25 Lacs||INR 20,000 to 30000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 6 Lacs per annum||INR 4 Lacs per annum|
Master of Divinity (MDiv) Top Colleges
|Institute Name||City||Average Annual Fees|
|New India Bible Seminary||Changanacherry||INR 50000|
|India Bible College and Seminary||Kumbanad||INR 2.25 Lacs|
|Faith Baptist Bible College and Seminary||Ernakulam||INR 90,000|
|South Asia Institute of Advanced Asian Studies||Bengaluru||INR 1.5 Lacs|
|Southern Asia Bible College||Bengaluru||INR 80,000|
|India Bible College||Pathanamthitta||INR 28,000|
|Jubilee Memorial Bible College||Chennai||INR 1.3 Lacs|
Master of Divinity (MDiv) Distance Education
Many universities offer Master of Divinity in distance mode. Some of the popular institutes offering this course in distance mode are - Union Biblical Seminary, Indian Pentecostal Church Theological Seminary, etc.
The average fee to pursue the course in distance mode is INR 15,000.
Master of Divinity (MDiv) Syllabus
The program aims to traverse the human experience of belief and how diverse people and cultures communicate the same. The syllabus of the program is broken down below in a tabulated format -
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Elementary Greek Language I||Elementary Greek Language II|
|Advanced Church History I||Advanced Church History II|
|Advanced Minor Prophets||Advanced Poetical Books|
|Advanced General Epistles||Advanced Pentateuch|
|Advanced Hebrew Language||Advanced Prison Epistles|
|Advanced Comp. Rel.||Biblical Theology Of Miss.|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Advanced Theology I||Advanced Theology II|
|Greek Syntax||Greek Exegetical Methods|
|Elementary Hebrew Language I||Elementary Hebrew Language II|
|OT Introduction||NT Introduction|
|Advanced Revelation||Advanced Hermeneutics|
|Advanced Daniel||Dynamic Preaching I|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Advanced Theology III||Advanced Theology IV|
|Greek Exegesis||Advanced I Corinthians|
|Hebrew Syntax||Hebrew Exegesis|
|Advanced Romans||NT Theology|
|Advanced Bapt. Hist.& Distinctives||Advanced Dispensationalism|
|Dynamic Preaching II||Advanced History of Fundamentalism|
Master of Divinity (MDiv) Career Prospects
Divinity programs are professional and are generally organized around the pastorate and effectively changed for things like chaplaincy and missions work.
|Job Position||Job Description|
|Hospice Chaplain||Hospice Chaplains work to provide spiritual support to terminally ill patients and their families.|
|Inspirational Speaker||An Inspirational Speaker’s job is to present speeches on areas of their expertise to a live audience.|
|Youth Pastor||The job of a Youth Pastor is to ensure that the youth ministry is running in a focused and effective manner.|
|Counsellor||Christian Counsellors are professional counsellors who provide counselling services to people of faith.|
The graph below depicts the annual median salary of different roles that one can work in after successfully doing an MDiv.
Master of Divinity (MDiv) Future Scopes
Apart from the traditional job roles, there are many other career prospects for Master of Divinity graduates. Some of which include -
- Secular Ministries- Students can start their own ministry with the added benefit of the training that they received while pursuing the Master in Divinity Course. Ministries can be customized depending on who the founder wants as a target audience it can be: men, women, mothers, recovering alcoholics etc. There is no such compulsion as a ministry has to be entirely based on religion. They can also serve as a social service that people can use to get together. The students can serve as their primary adviser and motivator. They will be able to earn money from grants, donations, or special funding requested on behalf of those they will be helping.
- Teaching- The Master of Divinity (MDiv) denotes that the holder is educated in a multidisciplinary area of study which is a combination of history, culture, language, and theology. This makes one a very good candidate for students who want to work as a teacher in those specializations, especially if one adds another field of study to their degree like MA in the discipline that they want to teach in.
- Writer- A student who is pursuing the Masters in Divinity has plenty of opportunities to research on many interesting topics that arise as part of their studies. Documenting the learning that they gain amidst the process can result in writing for journals, or they can start their own writing venture in order to become a published author. This will open a lot of avenues for a professional as published scholars are always held in high regard in the academic arena.
- Higher Studies- A student after completing the course can opt to study further and obtain PhD degrees like Doctor of Divinity or Doctor of Sacred Theology etc. This will allow them to specialize in a theological subject and later they can join as a teacher in educational institutes that teach theological subjects.
Q. What is the full form for MDiv?
The full form for MDiv is the Master of Divinity.
Q. What is the duration of the course?
The minimum duration to complete the course is 3 years.
Q. What are some subjects that are taught in the course?
Elementary Greek Language, Advanced Church History, Advanced Minor Prophets, Advanced General Epistles are some of the subjects taught in the course.
Q. What after MDiv?
After completing the course you can join in job roles like Counsellor, International Speaker, Youth Pastor etc, or you can choose to form a ministry or explore your career as a teacher or writer.
Q. What is the average salary after MDiv?
The average salary after MDiv is INR 6 Lacs.
Q. What is the average fee for the course?
The average fee for the course is INR 28000 to 2.25 lacs.
Q. Is there a common entrance test for admission to the course?
No, there is no common entrance test, every institute conducts its own test for fresh admissions.
Q. How many semesters are there in the course?
There are 6 semesters in the course.
Q. Are there any criteria of minimum aggregate marks required in graduation to pursue the course?
Yes, the candidates should have 50% marks in aggregate in their graduation to join the course.
Q. Can this course be pursued in distance mode?
Yes, the course can also be pursued in distance mode.