What is LLM Human Rights?
LLM or Master of Legislative Law in human rights is a 2-year post-graduate course which deals with the law and order administration and procedures. The course is designed in a way to inculcate the knowledge of basic human rights and issues related to any field, be it women, gender, labor, refugee, children, and criminal justice. It aims to provide a holistic approach towards understanding the law, administration, judicial aspects and specially the human rights. Candidates who are willing to pursue this course must hold LLB or BL degree with minimum of 50% marks.
There are many colleges in India and abroad that offer the postgraduate course of LLM in human rights. Some of the top Indian colleges among them are:
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Fees per annum||Average Placement Offer|
|National Law School||Bangalore||Entrance Examination||INR 50,000||INR 7,00,000-10,00,000|
|Delhi University||Delhi||Entrance Examination||INR 30,000||INR 3,00,000- 4,00,000|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad||Entrance Examination||INR 45,000||INR 3,00,000- 5,00,000|
|Amity School of law||Noida||Entrance Examination||INR 45,250||INR 5,00,000- 7,00,000|
|Desh Bhagat University||Fatehgarh||Entrance Examination||INR 20,000||INR 2,00,000- 4,00,000|
The course is available both in regular mode and correspondence mode. This law course unlocks various future prospects. The average initial package after completing this course is around INR 2,00,000- 8,00,000. Ample of job prospects are available after the successful completion of LLM human rights. Private and public sector recruiters in various organizations, like judiciary, public prosecution, legal consultancy firm, NGOs, Human Rights Agencies, Social Welfare Departments, etc. Some students go as a social worker for doing some welfare of society. The salary package extension is given with an enhanced working experience.
LLM Human Rights is offered by many Indian institutes and admission is done on the basis of marks scored in entrance tests followed by a counselling procedure. The average fees per annum vary from INR 50,000 to 2,00,000 . Students who are willing for higher studies can pursue MPhil or Ph.D. with the same specialization. Some students also go for MBA to get better
Read more Top LLM human rights Colleges in India
What is the LLM Human Rights Admission Process?
The admission process for LLM human rights is basically a two-step procedure starting from an entrance test followed by a counselling. There are various central and state level entrance examinations held for admissions in this course.
- Some of the institutes also organize their own entrance examination to test the knowledge and skills of the candidates.
- Apart from this, some institutes offer admission on the basis of only marks scored by the candidates in the entrance examination.
- Counselling procedure is the second step held after an entrance exam. Group Discussions and Personal Interview rounds are held to evaluate the aptitude skills of the candidate.
- Admissions are done with combined scrutiny of both entrance examinations and counselling procedures.
What is Eligibility Criteria for LLM Human Rights?
Below are some of the eligibility criteria to be fulfilled LLM Human Rights admission:
- Applicants should hold a graduation degree of Law, either LLB or BL from a recognized institute.
- The minimum aggregate marks that are required to pass the eligibility criteria of this course are 50% for general candidates and 45% for SC/ST/OBC candidates.
- Several colleges have their own criteria for the eligibility of a candidate in this course.
- Colleges who admit students based on the entrance examination also want a score of the candidate either in common entrance examination or university based entrance examination.
How to apply for LLM Human Rights?
The candidates are required to follow the below mentioned steps to register for admissions in LLM Human Rights based on the entrance examinations:
- Candidates should visit the college website or portal to fill the registration form.
- The registration form has columns for details, both personal and academic which need to be filled properly.
- Documents that are required to be attached should be uploaded with the registration form.
- Download the registration form after fee payment.
- Download the Admit Card and appear for the entrance examination conducted by any central body or the university itself.
What are the top LLM Human Rights Entrance Exams?
There are various entrance examinations for admissions in this course. Some of the institutes organise an entrance exam of the college itself and some offer admission based
Students can either appear in NET examination or CLAT examination which are central level entrance examinations held for this course. Apart from these, Universities like Delhi University, Banasthali University, Jawaharlal Nehru University and others conduct their own entrance examination for the admission procedures.
Important Details about the university entrance examination for LLM Human Rights are:
|LLM Exam||Conducting body||Application Period*||Exam Date*|
|CLAT||Consortium of National Law Universities||August 08 – November 13, 2022||
December 18, 2022
|LSAT||Law School Admission Council (LSAC)||
November 10, 2022 - January 11, 2023
January 22, 2023 (January Session)
Jun 8, 2023 to Jun 11, 2023(June Session)
|AILET||National Law University Delhi (NLU-D)||September 07, 2022 onwards||December 11, 2022|
|ILICAT||Indian Law Institute||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|TS PGLCET||Osmania University, Hyderabad||To be Announced||To be Announced|
|IPU CET||Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU)||March 2023 – April 2023||April 2023|
*Dates mentioned are subjected to change due to recent covid situations
How to Prepare for LLM Human Rights Entrance Exams?
Following points one should keep in mind while preparing for entrance test:
- Go through your entrance exam syllabus thoroughly and follow the time table to complete the full syllabus on time.
- You should have some background or knowledge in respective subjects and strong command on the subjects like human rights, Indian constitution etc.
- Practice previous year question papers to keep a check on exam patterns.
- Knowledge base should be strong.
- Study and revise the graduation syllabus thoroughly.
How to get Admission to top LLM Human Rights colleges?
For getting admission in a good college for LLM human rights, following points needs to be considered:-
- Do proper research about various colleges in the area and filter out the best as per the preference.
- Connect with alumni on social media to get a better knowledge about the fee structure and placement pattern.
- Visit the college site and follow the admission procedure regularly.
- Be fluent in the respective subject by gaining appropriate subject matter knowledge.
- Make a strong command on the language.
- Prepare for entrance examinations well.
- Build a strong command on communication skills for GD and PI round.
LLM Human Rights: What is it About?
LLM Human Rights is a postgraduate course with a study domain that focuses on the analysis of codes, constitutions, legal administration and procedures along with basic human rights mentioned in the constitution.
- Legal studies are an important sector nowadays with the increased political and legal setup.
- LLM human rights course is designed in a way to teach the students fundamentals and basic knowledge about legal rights, proceedings and the legal system of the country.
- Candidates with a graduation degree of LLB or BL can apply for this course in various government and private institutes.
- After this course, students work as Lawyers, public prosecutors, judicial judge, legal consultant, academician, etc.
- Students willing for higher studies can pursue MPhil, MBA,or Ph.D. in the same specialisation.
LLM Human Rights Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate Course|
|Full-Form||Masters of Legislative Law in Human Rights|
|Examination Type||Semester Examinations|
|Eligibility||Candidate holding a graduate law degree with minimum 50% aggregate marks from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination/ Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges & University, NGOs, Human Rights Agencies, Social Welfare Departments, Government Organizations, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Red Cross, National and State Human Rights Commissions, Commonwealth Human Rights Initiatives, Oxfam International, CRY, Human Right Watch, Amnesty International, Liberty, Miracle Foundation, etc.|
|Job Positions||Government Relations State Advocacy Officer, Communication and Documentation Officer, Research Associate, Client Relationship Manager, Human Rights Lawyer, Lecturer/Professor, etc.|
Why study LLM Human Rights?
LLM human rights offer various perks for the students including a good package, interesting job profile, etc. Below are some points which make it worth choosing:-
- Popular: LLM human rights field is constantly growing worldwide, and is rated as one of the top jobs globally.
- Diversified Career Options: You can work in various government and private sectors at different job roles. Educational institute also hires lecturers and academics after this course. Public Prosecutor, Lawyer, Civil Judge, Oath Commissioner, Legal Consultant are some other options available.
- Future Prospects: - One can also pursue higher studies like PhD and MPhil in the same specialization. Some students go on to study for MBA to get better job prospects.
Learn more about: MBA career options and jobs
Course Comparison: LLM Human Rights vs LLM Family Law (H2)
LLM Human Rights and LLM Family Law have similarity but some of the differences are noted below:
|Course||LLM Human Rights||LLM Family Law|
|Duration||Two Years||Two Years|
|Overview||Human Rights is a specialized branch of law that includes the study of various laws and rights that every individual possesses.||It focuses on the topics related to family matters such as divorce, abuse, custody of children, financial matters etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 -8,00,000||INR 3,00,000-8,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Government Relations State Advocacy Officer, Communication and Documentation Officer, Research Associate, Client Relationship Manager, Human Rights Lawyer, Lecturer/Professor, etc.||Judge, Lawyer, Lecturer, Law Inspector etc.|
LLM Human Rights Top Colleges
|College Name||Location||Average Fees||Average Package Offered|
|Faculty of Law, University of Delhi (DU)||New Delhi||-||INR 7,00,000 -10,00,000|
|Nalsar University of Law||Hyderabad||INR 83,500||INR 3,00,000 - 4,00,000|
|Gujarat National Law University (GNLU)||Gandhi Nagar||INR 89,000||INR 3,00,000- 5,00,000|
|O.P. Jindal Global University, Jindal Global Law School (JGLS)||Sonipat||INR 4,25,000||INR 5,00,000- 7,00,000|
|Faculty of Law, Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Varanasi||INR 30,000||INR 2,00,000-4,00,000|
|National Law University (NLUD)||New Delhi||INR 77,500||INR 4,00,000-5,00,000|
|Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law (RGNUL)||Patiala||INR 95,000||INR 3,00,000-5,00,000|
|Hidayatullah National Law University (HNLU)||Raipur||INR 79,000||INR 2,00,000-3,00,000|
|Dr. Ram Manohar Lohiya National Law University (RMLNLU)||Lucknow||INR 73,500||INR 3,00,000-4,00,000|
|Faculty of Law, Jamia Millia Islamia University (JMI)||New Delhi||INR 8,550||INR 6,00,000-8,00,000|
|Army Institute of Law (AIL)||Mohali||INR 50,200||INR 4,00,000-5,00,000|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth New Law College (NLC)||Pune||INR 40,000||INR 3,00,000-5,00,000|
|Faculty of Law, University of Calcutta||Kolkata||INR 3,89,000||INR 4,00,000-6,00,000|
|University College of Law, Bangalore University||Bangalore||-||INR 3,00,000-4,00,000|
|Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT)||Kochi||INR 6,000||INR 2,00,000-4,00,000|
|National Law School of India University (NLSIU)||Bangalore||INR 80,100||INR 2,00,000-4,00,000|
|The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS)||Kolkata||INR 1,29,000||INR 3,00,000-4,00,000|
|The National Law University||Bhopal||INR 1,40,000||-|
|Symbiosis Law School||Pune||INR 92,000||-|
LLM Human Rights College Comparison
There are various colleges offering LLM Human Rights. Below is a detailed comparison of top 3 colleges for LLM Human Rights
|College Name||National Law School||Faculty of Law, Delhi University||Amity School of law|
|Overview||National Law School is a pioneer institute in India offering various UG, PG and doctorate degree with specialization in Law||Delhi University is a state university which offers various UG, PG and doctorate courses. There are many colleges under Delhi University.||Amity School of Law is a private coeducational university which is fully dedicated to various law courses under Amity University.|
|Average Annual Tuition Fees||INR 50,000||INR 10,000-15,000||INR 45,000|
|Admission||Common Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview||Entrance test + Personal Interview|
|Average Annual Placement Package||INR 7,00,000-10,00,000||INR 3,00,000-4,00,000||INR 5,00,000-7,00,000|
Distance Education opportunity in LLM Human Rights
Distance Education is quite popular nowadays and holds equal importance as the regular course.
- There are various universities in India offering LLM Human Rights Distance Learning programmes.
- The syllabus and curriculum for both distance learning and regular course is the same.
- The only difference between both of them is students with regular courses attend lectures and practical classes, however in distance learning, students have to study at home and attend semester examinations.
- The eligibility criteria for admission to a correspondence program or distance learning course may depend on the university/institution, the candidates, however, must hold a LLM degree with at least 60% aggregate marking.
- Admission procedure remains the same for the distance course as the regular one.
Top distance education universities for LLM Human Rights are mentioned below
|College/Institute||Location||Fees per Annum|
|IGNOU||Delhi, Ahmedabad||INR 26,400 – 33,600|
|Delhi University||Delhi||INR 5,000 – 10,000|
|Dr. BR Ambedkar Open University||Hyderabad||INR 12,700|
LLM Human Rights Syllabus
LLM Human Rights is a 2-year detailed study and follows different legal subjects. Apart from this, a student pursuing LLM in human rights needs to complete a dissertation for passing this course.
Year Wise Syllabus which is followed by most of the university in the course of LLM Human Rights is:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Concept & Classification of Rights||Emerging Concept of Human Rights|
|Concept of Human Rights||Human Duties, Responsibilities & its Effectuation|
|Concept of Human Duties||International Obligation|
|Dialectics of Human Rights||Human Rights & Criminal Justice|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Jurisprudence & Human Rights: Lego Philosophical perspectives||Human Rights and International & Regional Perspectives: Implementation Mechanism|
|Constitutional Governance of Human Rights in India||International Humanitarian Law|
|Refugee Law||People’s Rights to Self-determination|
|Extension Activities & Educational Tours||Dissertation Research|
LLM Human Rights: Important Books
Important Books which can be followed while studying LLM Human Rights are
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Human rights law and practice||Jatindra Kumar Das|
|A debate over rights||Matthew H. Kramer|
|International Human Rights Law||D.J. Harris|
|The law of Human Rights||Richard Clayton|
|Natural Law and Human Rights: Towards a recovery of practical reason||Pierre Manent|
*Various books and research guides are available for the course of LLM Human Rights based on a particular subject.
LLM Human Rights Jobs
After pursuing LLM Human Rights, one has a lot of career options to choose from. The job prospects in this field involve revolving around legal and constitutional related jobs. The job involves undertaking a role in the legal sector and law domain.
Being an in demand course, the jobs and salary after this course is lucrative with career options like Lawyer, Public Prosecutor, Judge, Legal Consultant, Academician in various NGOs, judiciary system and legal consultancy firms.
Below are some job positions which are bagged by a person pursuing LLM Human Rights:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Human Rights Lawyer||A Human Rights Lawyer investigates, evaluates, and defends people in litigation cases involving torture and abuse and may also solicit and use media attention to promote awareness of human rights.||INR 3,00,000 to 7,00,000|
|Research Associate||Research Associates monitor the progress of research projects and coordinate information between departmental sections and perform a complex variety of essays and studies.||INR 2,50,000 to 5,00,000|
|Lecturer/Professor||A professor/lecturer teaches and motivates students and keeps up with current research activities in their areas of expertise.||INR 4,00,000 to 7,00,000|
|Client Relationship Manager||A Client Relationship Manager builds and maintains relationships with clients and conducts business reviews to ensure clients are satisfied with their products and services.||INR 3,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Human Rights Defender||A Human Rights Defender works on cases and contributes to the promotion or protection of human rights laws.||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000|
LLM Human Rights Future Scope (h2)
LLM Human Rights is a trending course, and hence has a lot of market value. The person with LLM Human Rights can choose from a lot of options for future prospects and career options. Some of them are:-
- Students with LLM Human Rights can work in a government or private judicial services, legal consultancy firms, public prosecution departments and various academic institutions.
- For higher studies, either go for MPhil or MBA after the course completion.
- Students who want to pursue further studies can opt for PhD in the same field. A PhD in the same course will brush up the knowledge of a student and will develop a more legal thinking.
- After LLM in human rights, students can bag jobs of Lawyer, public prosecutor, judicial head, legal judge, legal consultant, professor, etc.
Read about some Top colleges in India which offer Ph.D. Law
LLM Human Rights FAQs
Ques. What is LLM Human Rights?
Ques. Can I do LLM Human Rights without doing LLB?
Ques. Is it compulsory to pursue MPhil or PhD in the same specialisation after completing LLM Human Rights?
Ques. Is clearing an entrance examination compulsory to take admission in LLM Human Rights?
Ques. Which are the top colleges providing LLM Human Rights?
Ques. What kind of specializations are there with LLM Human Rights?
Ques. What is the average duration for completing LLM Human Rights?
Ques. What are the subjects taught in LLM Human Rights?
Ques. What is the fee in LLM Human Rights?
Ques. In what sectors a person can work after completing LLM Human Rights?