What is MS Electrical Engineering?
MS Electrical Engineering is a 2-3 year postgraduate course that deals with the study of electricity and its applications. It is a research program that is oriented more towards the dissertation or thesis work rather than course credit. The course will help to make a career in electronics, electromagnetism, and manufacturing.
Go through the list of colleges providing MS Electrical Engineering in India.
To apply to this course the candidates should fulfill the minimum eligibility, i.e., Bachelor's degree in engineering from a recognized university. The admissions are usually based on the national level entrance exams like GATE, TANCET, etc.
MS Electrical Engineering offers specialization in areas like Intelligent Power Systems, Smart Electrical, Networks, and Systems (SENSE), Electrical Power Engineering, Electro-optical Engineering, Embedded Lighting Systems, Sustainable and Renewable Energy, Systems Engineering, Lighting Design, Intelligent Power Systems, etc.
There are various institutes that offer this course. The IITs and NITs also offer this course. The average course fees range from INR 20,000 - 1,00,000.
Some of the top colleges that offer MS Electrical Engineering are:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||Admission Process||Average Annual Tuition Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|1||IIT Madras||Entrance exam + Personal Interview||INR 19,670||INR 12,79,000|
|2||IIT Delhi||Entrance exam + Personal Interview||INR 52,900||INR 16,00,000|
|4||IIT Kanpur||Entrance exam + Personal Interview||INR 64,050||INR 10,00,000|
|7||IIT Guwahati||Entrance exam + Personal Interview||INR 18,150||INR 11,00,000|
|10||IIT Indore||Entrance exam + Personal Interview||INR 51,900||INR 16,06,000|
After completion of the course, the graduates can work for both the government and the private sector. They usually get jobs in the Power companies, Electronic appliance manufacturing companies, Indian Railways, IT companies, etc.
The starting salary the graduates can expect is around INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 per annum. The graduates can also pursue higher studies like a PhD in Electrical Engineering or any other equivalent field.
What is the Admission Process for MS Electrical Engineering?
The top institutes like the IITs and NITs conduct their admissions based on the national level entrance exams. The private institutes conduct admission either through the national level entrance exam or conduct their own examination. Some of the institutes also take direct admission, especially for students who have excellent academic records.
The admission procedures followed by most of the top institutes are:
- Step 1: The applicants will have to go through the national level entrance exam. The most common and popular one is GATE, which is accepted by most of the institutes in India.
- Step 2: Once the results of the entrance exams are out, the institutes will also release their cut-off. The applicants can now apply to the institutes where they are able to clear the cut-off.
- Step 3: The applicants will be evaluated based on the ranks or marks scored in the entrance examination and also the previous academic records.
- Step 4: The institutes will release a merit list of the shortlisted students.
- Step 5: The shortlisted students will be called for a personal interview.
- Step 6: The selected students will be sent an offer letter to join.
Read more on the Admission Process of IIT Madras.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for MS Electrical Engineering?
The applicants who plan to take up this course should fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- The applicant should hold a bachelor’s degree in Engineering from a recognized university.
- They should have scored a minimum of 50% marks in their bachelor’s degree.
Some relaxation may be offered to the reserved category and differently-abled students.
Also, go through the revised Eligibility Criteria for GATE Exam.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for MS Electrical Engineering?
The admission into this course is usually based on the national-level entrance examinations like GATE, TANCET, etc. The description and important details about some of the entrance exam have been mentioned below:
- GATE - GATE is a national level entrance exam for admission into postgraduate courses in IITs, NITs, IIITs, GFTIs, and STIs. The exam is conducted by the IITs on a rotational basis. The GATE 2021 is expected to be conducted by IIT Bombay.
- TANCET - It is a state-level entrance examination conducted by Anna University. It offers admission into various master’s degree courses offered by various institutes of Tamil Nadu.
|Exam Name||Mode of Exam||Application Period||Exam Date|
|GATE 2021||Online||September - October 2020||1st week of February 2021|
|TANCET 2021||Online||January - February 2020||March 1, 2021|
How to Prepare for the MS Electrical Engineering Entrance Exam?
For better and effective preparation, the candidates should first conduct proper research on the syllabus and the exams they are going to sit for. Students can start preparing according to GATE since it is accepted by most of the institutes.
Details to prepare for GATE and other such exams are mentioned below:
- Exam Pattern: The question paper consists of 3 sections: General Aptitude, Engineering Mathematics, and discipline-based section i.e electrical-based questions.
- Questions, marks, and exam duration: There will be a total of 65 - 70 MCQs that needs to be solved in 3 hours. The exam will be of 100 marks.
- Important topics: Some of the important topics that the candidates should cover while preparing for the exam are mentioned below:
|General Aptitude||Verbal Ability||English Grammar, Sentence Completion, Word Groups, Verbal Analogies, Instructions, Verbal Deduction, Critical Reasoning.|
|Numerical Ability||Numerical computation, Numerical Estimation, Numerical Reasoning, Data Interpretation|
|Engineering Mathematics||Linear Algebra, Calculus, Differential Equations, Probability and Statistics, Numerical Methods, Complex Variables, Transform Theory|
|Electrical Engineering||Electrical Circuits, Electromagnetic Field, Signals & Systems, Electrical Machines, Power Systems, Control Systems, Electrical & Electronic Measurements, Analog & Digital Electronics, Power Electronics.|
Marking Scheme: 1 - 2 marks will be awarded for correct answers. There is negative marking for wrong answers (1/3rd to 2/3rd marks will be reduced depending on the type of question. The is no negative marking for numerical type questions.
How to get admission in good colleges?
- Since the admissions are usually based on the entrance exams, the candidates will have to make a proper strategy to prepare for the entrance exam.
- The exam is considered to be quite tough, so taking up coaching classes can be quite effective to clear the concepts.
- Self-study has its own importance. Once the topics are covered in the coaching classes, the same topics should be repeated again by themselves to revise and also to practice.
- The candidate should also fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria of the course, otherwise, they won’t be able to sit for the examination.
Go through the complete list of Cutoffs of GATE Exam.
MS Electrical Engineering: What is it about?
- It is a master’s degree program that typically specializes in the study of electricity and the number of ways electricity is used.
- The course focuses on the applications of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.
- This course usually overlaps with other engineering courses like computer science and electronics engineering. Electronics engineering covers small electronic circuits and components, whereas electrical covers larger-scale assembly and distribution of electrical power.
- The subjects taught in the course will include Materials Science, Digital Control Engineering, Signal Processing, Antennas and Propagation, Integrated Circuits, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Internet of Things (IoT), etc.
MS Electrical Engineering: Highlights
MS Electrical Engineering is a highly opted course after B.Tech. The basic information about the course has been mentioned in detail in the table below:
|Full-Form||Master of Science in Electrical Engineering|
|Level of Study||Postgraduate|
|Course Duration||2-3 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor's degree in Engineering|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam + Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 - 1,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000 - 8,00,000|
|Job Options||Electrical Engineer, Systems Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Nuclear Engineer, Network Engineer, Broadcast Engineer, Systems Analyst, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||State Wise Electricity Boards, Hydroelectric Power plants, Thermal Power plants, Railways, Metros, etc|
|Top Recruiters||BHEL, BSNL, Indian Railways, etc.|
Why Should You Study MS Electrical Engineering?
- Students will be prepared for jobs in areas of electric power generation, distribution, and transmission. The scope of getting jobs in the government sector is high.
- They will learn to use their knowledge to design, create, install, and test equipment, devices, and systems that use electricity.
- They will learn to use various tools and devices to diagnose and modify systems & circuits like frequency calibrators, signal generators, voltage or current meters, etc.
- They may learn to use various software to make their work more comfortable and efficient like computer-aided drafting tools, circuit simulators, project management apps, etc.
- They will learn industry-specific skills like problem-solving, critical thinking, organizational abilities, creative thinking, and self-learning to clear communication.
MS Electrical Engineering vs MTech Electrical Engineering
MS Electrical Engineering and MTech Electrical Engineering are both postgraduate engineering degrees that specialize in electrical engineering. The basic difference between these two degrees are mentioned below:
|Parameters||MS Electrical Engineering||MTech Electrical Engineering|
|Level of study||Postgraduate||Postgraduate|
|Duration||2-3 years (as long as the student takes time to complete the project)||2 years|
|About||It deals with the study of electricity & its applications, electronic devices, and electrical networks on a practical basis. Here the students spend more time on self-study and projects and classes are quite limited.||It deals with the study of electricity & its applications, electronic devices, and electrical networks on a theoretical basis.|
|Eligibility||Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline||B.Tech|
|Admission Process||National level entrance exams like GATE, TANCET, BITSAT, etc.||National level entrance exams like GATE, TANCET, BITSAT, etc.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 20,000 - 1,00,000||INR 20,000 - 5,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000 - 8,00,000||INR 5,00,000 - 12,00,000|
|Job Options||Electrical Engineer, Electrical Construction Engineer, Executive Trainee, Researcher, etc.||Assistant Engineer, Site Engineer, etc|
Source: College Websites
Read more on MTech Electrical Engineering Top Colleges
Which Are the Top Colleges for MS Electrical Engineering?
Below we have listed some of the top colleges that offer MS Electrical Engineering courses. The colleges mentioned below are ranked in the NIRF 2020 ranking list.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||City||Average Annual Tuition Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|1||IIT Madras||Chennai||INR 19,670||INR 12,79,000|
|2||IIT Delhi||New Delhi||INR 52,900||INR 16,00,000|
|4||IIT Kanpur||Kanpur||INR 64,050||INR 10,00,000|
|7||IIT Guwahati||Guwahati||INR 18,150||INR 11,00,000|
|9||NIT Trichy||Tiruchirapalli||INR 28,700||INR 6,50,000|
|10||IIT Indore||Indore||INR 51,900||INR 16,06,000|
|25||IIT Ropar||Rupnagar||INR 29,370||INR 14,56,000|
|31||IIT Mandi||Mandi||INR 26,700||INR 13,50,000|
Source: College Websites
MS Electrical Engineering College Comparison
The difference between the top three colleges offering MS Electrical Engineering is mentioned below. The comparison is made on the basis of ranking, course fees, salary, and top recruiters.
|Top Colleges||IIT Madras||IIT Delhi||IIT Kanpur|
|Overview||It is known to be the best college for engineering. It offers various courses other than engineering like MSc and MBA. Admissions are quite competitive for all the courses.||IIT Delhi is known to be the 2nd best college for engineering. They have the best faculty and most of them are Ph.D. holders.||It is among the top-ranked IITs. They offer various specializations in the field of Engineering, Science, Management, and Design.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||1||2||4|
|Average Annual Tuition Fees||INR 19,670||INR 52,900||INR 64,050|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 12,79,000||INR 16,00,000||INR 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||Microsoft, Citibank, EXL Analytics, Flipkart, Intel, Mahindra & Mahindra Limited, American Express, HCL technologies, etc||Microsoft, Uber, HCL, Mastercard, Flipkart, IBM, etc.||YesBank, ITC Limited, Mahindra Finance, Deloitte, Barclays, Accenture, Bharat Petroleum, .etc|
Source: College Websites
Which are the Subjects Taught in MS Electrical Engineering?
The syllabus may differ from college to college, but the subjects that are covered during the course are usually the same. Mentioned below are the common topics that are usually covered during the course:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Field Computation of Electromagnetic Device||Modeling and Analysis of Electrical Machines and Drives|
|Modeling and Simulation of Dynamic Systems||Transducer Technology|
|Advanced Instrumentation Techniques||Power System Analysis|
|Special Purpose Electrical Machines||High Voltage Fields|
|Control System Engineering||Optimal and Robust Control|
|Advanced Power System Principles||Computer Control of Industrial Processes|
|Lightning Design & Calculation||Small Machines, Incremental Motion Devices & Actuators|
|Static Converters in Electric Drives||Computer Applications in Instrumentation|
|Digital Control Theory||Power System Operations|
|Elements of High Voltage Engineering||Dielectric Engineering|
|Material Technology||Real-Time Systems|
|Active Circuits & Systems||Nonlinear and Adaptive Control|
|Optimization Techniques||High Voltage Equipment|
|Solid State Power Supplies||Advanced Electric Drives|
|---||Power System Protection|
|---||High Voltage Measurements|
|---||Advanced Topics in Electrical Machine Design|
|---||Electrical Systems in Vehicular Applications|
|---||Advanced Digital Signal Processing|
|---||Power Electronics Applications in EHT Transmission|
|---||Condition Monitoring of High Voltage Equipment|
Which are the Most Important Books for MS Electrical Engineering?
Some of the books that the students can refer during their course and also prepare for the entrance exam are mentioned below:
|Name of the Books||Author|
|Electrical Power Systems||C. L. Wadhwa|
|Electrical Machinery||P. S. Bimbhra|
|Control Systems Engineering||I.J.Nagrath, M. Gopal|
|Power Systems Engineering||I. J. Nagrath, D Kothari|
What are the Jobs and Salary Trends after MS Electrical Engineering?
After completion of the course, the graduates can get jobs in both the private and government sectors:
- They often get jobs in the companies that deal with the generation, distribution, and transmission of electric power. They can also find jobs in areas like electronic device manufacturing industries, telecommunication sectors, etc.
- Some of the prime recruiters for such graduates are Indian Railways, State Wise Electricity Boards, Indian Armed Forces, Hydroelectric Power plants, and Thermal Power plants.
Some of the top job options after MS Electrical Engineering are:
|Job Prospects||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Electrical Engineer||They implement and design the components to induce electricity in a device. They focus on researching, creating, and improving the devices that require electricity.||INR 3,65,600|
|Electronics Engineer||Their work is usually to design, redesign, maintain, and comprehend electronic devices.||INR 4,00,900|
|Power Systems Engineer||They are responsible for designing, testing, constructing, and operating power systems. They usually conduct research for utility companies.||INR 4,15,000|
|Broadcast Engineer||They work for the broadcast media like radio or television. Their work is to ensure that the transmissions meet the organizational standards and to monitor, maintain & repair any sort of interference caused during the transmission.||INR 4,78,800|
|System Analyst||They are experts in the area of programming, operating system, and hardware. Their work is to find the problem and solve them in the most effective way.||INR 6,57,700|
What is the Future Scope After MS Electrical Engineering?
- Electricity has now become a basic necessity for us. It is impossible to imagine a life without it. Most of our appliances or devices are useless without electricity. And thus the graph for the scope in this will always rise.
- The generation and maintenance of electricity are usually taken care of by the government, thus the study in this field can help to fetch government jobs.
- After completion of the course, the graduates can take up higher studies like Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering or in the related field like Power Systems, Microelectronics, Electrophysics, Integrated Devices, and Systems, Nanoelectronics, etc.
- The graduates can also shift to the management line by taking up MBA courses.
MS Electrical Engineering FAQs
Ques. What are the areas where the MS Electrical Engineering can specialize?
Ans. The MS Electrical Engineering students can choose to specialize in areas like Intelligent Power Systems, Smart Electrical Networks, and Systems (SENSE), Electrical Power Engineering, Electro-optical Engineering, Embedded Lighting Systems, Sustainable and Renewable Energy, Systems Engineering, Lighting Design, etc.
Ques. Which of the countries has the highest demand for Electrical Engineers?
Ans. The countries that are in a developing stage have the highest demand for Electrical Engineers. Such countries include Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland, Germany, England, India, Japan, China, etc.
Ques. Which is better, MS Electrical Engineering or M.Tech Electrical Engineering?
Ans. MTech is a course of 2 years whereas MS can be completed within 2- 4 years. M.Tech has around 16 - 17 subjects to study and MS has 3-4 subjects and a large chunk of credit is given to the thesis work.
Ques. Do IITs offer MS Electrical Engineering?
Ans. Yes, IITs do offer MS courses. IITs are known for B.Tech and M.Tech courses, so people are not much aware that they also offer MS courses.
Ques. Does M.Tech and MS in Electrical Engineering have the same value?
Ans. According to the AICTE notification, the MS offered by the IITs and NITs is referred to as equivalent to the M.Tech course.
Ques. Does Google hire Electrical Engineers?
Ans. Yes, Google also hires electrical engineers along with computer engineers to handle the data center power system.
Ques. How to join IIT for MS Electrical Engineering?
Ans. To apply for IIT, the candidates will have to clear GATE and should have a minimum CGPA of around 8.0 in their bachelor’s program.