MSc Applied Psychology is a postgraduate program in the applied psychology discipline of 2 years duration. Candidates who have a bachelor’s degree in psychology or related disciplines with 55% marks are eligible to apply for MSc applied psychology course.
Pondicherry University, Annamalai University, and University of Kolkata are the top government colleges that are known for their MSc applied psychology course. The fees for MSc applied psychology ranges between INR 25,000 and 90,000.
After MSc Applied Psychology, students may pursue further studies and pursue PhD in Psychology or may take jobs associated with applied psychology. The average salary offered to an MSc Applied Psychology graduate is between INR 4 and 5 LPA.
1.1 Why MSc Applied Psychology?
2.3 Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
3.1 MSc Applied Psychology Subjects
4.2 Private Colleges
5.1 PhD After MSc Applied Psychology
6.1 Top Job Profiles
6.2 Top Recruiters
All About MSc Applied Psychology
MSc Applied Psychology is an extensive program that focuses on principles of psychology, its theories, and concepts. Any affiliated educational institution admits eligible candidates to complete the PG course for two years. The course is semester-based and consists of four semesters throughout the course duration.
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Eligibility to this is a bachelor degree in science, technology, engineering, pharmaceutical or engineering and has secured an aggregate of 55% or equivalent CGPA or candidates who have completed their B.Sc. degree with subjects like math, physics, and chemistry etc. from a recognized institute (in a science stream) are also eligible.|
|Admission Process||Merit-Based and may also be followed by an interview and Group discussion.|
|Course Fee||Between INR 25,000 and 90,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4 and 5 LPA starting.|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Welfare organizations, the advertising industry, colleges, defense forces, hospitals, community and mental health centers, prisons and correctional programs and institutions, counseling, child care, clergy, rehabilitation centers, youth guidance etc.|
|Job Positions||Community relations officer, developmental psychologist, research psychologist, child-support specialist, clinical psychologist, neuropsychologist, clergymen, psychiatric assistant, school psychologist, social psychologist etc|
Why MSc Applied Psychology?
- Doing a master's in psychology and its applied fields is completely up to the decision of aspirants. In general, two major sub-fields are categorized under psychology as research psychology and applied psychology.
- Research psychologists occupy the laboratory to research studies to find the answers related to mental health.
- Applied psychologists comply with the principles of psychology in finding the results attempted by the research psychologists.
- Applied psychology also attempts to help patients or individuals suffering from mental stress and work stress, life stress to sustain, etc. The experts in applied psychology adapt the theories and concepts to develop human mental ability.
- Hence the faculty focuses on the development of research and analysis in psychology with concerned theories associated.
- MSc applied psychology aims to apply the knowledge and findings earned in research psychology to the developmental behavior of patients with psychological problems. The psychologists are called counseling psychologists or clinical psychologists.
MSc Applied Psychology Admission Process
- The admission process varies from University to University determined based on the standards of the University. Mostly online and sometimes offline admission processes are executed concerning the college/ University’s convenience.
- Candidates who are willing to admit to the MSc applied psychology are asked to apply for proper entrance exams proclaimed national level or University level.
- The marks obtained in the entrance exam and the Cumulative grade point acquired in the Under Graduation degree put together to calculate the cut-off marks and the ranks to state the position of placements.
- The merit-based admission process includes only the marks secured in the Bachelor’s degree perhaps the entrance-based admission involves cut-off marks calculated from the entrance exam marks and CGPA of UG degree.
University or college called for admission process before notification. Students can apply to admit MSC applied psychology if scored the required marks in the Bachelor’s degree and entrance exam.
MSc Applied Psychology Eligibility
- Students who are willing to admit to MSC applied psychology are required to have attained an aggregate of 55% in the Under Graduation in relevant field.
- A recognized University or college Certification is a must for completion of Under Graduation.
- Along with UG degree certification, maximum marks are required to secure in the national level or University level entrance exam. The cut-off mark is calculated as the sum of marks obtained in the UG and the entrance exam.
- Apart from Government colleges or Universities, some colleges execute direct admission without an entrance exam.
- To admit directly to the Master’s degree, the candidate must secure the required marks in the UG program.
- Reputed Universities offer scholarships to the eligible candidate who has gathered maximum marks in the Under Graduation program.
- Only the eligible candidates are ranked as per marks secured and called for counseling and admission sessions.
- Admission for MSC applied psychology is based on the entrance exam or merit marks secured in the Under Graduation program.
- Merit-based admissions are done based on the marks secured in the Bachelor of Science in a relevant field or BA or MA.
- Candidates must secure an aggregate of 55% in Bachelor of Science in the appropriate stream. The University board frames the rank list based on marks obtained for further admission process.
Merit scholarships are available in some reputed colleges or Universities. Candidates can make use of scholarships following specific principles.
- Apart from merit-based admissions, some Universities and colleges are following the admission process as entrance-based.
- Candidates need to apply for appearing entrance exam and those who are securing minimum aggregation in the entrance are eligible for attending the Counseling session.
- After the counseling, a group discussion takes place which is the end of the admission session.
- BHU PET, IPU CET, JNUEE are common occurring national level entrance exams conducted for admission of MSC applied psychology.
Reputed colleges and some Universities alone conduct entrance exams for the admission process. Agra University, Amity University of Psychology, and Allied sciences are some of the Universities conducting entrance exams before admissions.
MSc Applied Psychology: Entrance Exam Dates
By the month May or June or July every year, most of the Universities conduct entrance exams.
Application process to appear entrance exam is similar in all Universities. Here is the table that denotes the entrance exam and application process.
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|CUET PG||Check Here|
|IIT JAM||Check Here|
|TISS NET||Check Here|
MSc Applied Psychology: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- To prepare for the entrance exam for MSC applied psychology, start with basics that are learned previously in the school.
- NCERT books of classes 11 and 12 would favor better the preparation of the entrance exam to admission.
- If Delhi University is the choice of institution for instance to study MSC applied psychology needs attention that the admission aspires on two-basis: merit-based admission and entrance-based admission.
- Candidates need to know the basic knowledge related to the theories and concepts of psychology.
- The concepts are taught in the previous school session. So be thorough in the basic concepts of psychology to appear in the entrance exam for MSC applied psychology.
MSc Applied Psychology Syllabus
The syllabus for MSc applied psychology for the four semesters is given below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Advanced social psychology||Positive Psychology|
|Child development||Medial psychology|
|Theories of personality||Statistics in Psychology|
|Psychological Research Methodology||Environmental Psychology|
|Clinical Training: Experimental Psychology||Psychology of Interpersonal relationship|
|General Psychology||Elective 1|
|Basic psychopathology||Clinical training|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Advanced psychopathology||Consumer Behavior and Marketing|
|Psychological Remedies and Therapy||Psychological Experiments and Testing|
|Community Psychology||Practical Training|
|Health psychology||Research Project|
MSc Applied Psychology Subjects
MSC applied psychology subjects involve the principles, theories, and concepts of psychology and solving problems of mental stress in an individual.
On that basis, the following subjects are dealt with for two years in MSC applied psychology. The subjects are similar in and around all the Universities throughout India.
|Advanced General Psychology||Psychopathology and Mental Hygiene|
|Life span Psychology||Research Methodology|
|Advanced Social Psychology||Health Psychology|
|Organizational psychology||Human Resource Management|
MSc Applied Psychology Colleges
Each educational institution follows its principles in the admission process, seat allocation, and eligibility criteria. In India, Many government colleges and private institutions are offering MSC applied psychology courses.
MSc Applied Psychology Government Colleges
Based on NAAC and UGC grades, Government and private colleges are ranked every year. Government colleges that provide MSC applied psychology in the best manner are:
|Rank||Name of Institution||Course Fees|
|11||University of Kolkata||INR 16,088|
|32||Women’s Christian College||INR 12,655|
|48||Pondicherry University||INR 43,118|
|45||Annamalai University||INR 26, 500|
|291||Agra University & Allied Science||INR 4,300|
MSc Applied Psychology Private Colleges
|Name of Institution||Course Fee|
|The Neotia University, Kolkata||INR 1.53 lakhs|
|Mount Caramel College, Bengaluru||INR 2 Lakhs|
|Guru Jambeshwar University of science and tech, Hisar||INR 34,000|
|Justice Basheer Ahmed Syed College for Women, Chennai||INR 64,000/ year|
After MSc Applied Psychology Course
Soon after completing MSc Applied Psychology, job opportunities are plenty both in the public and private sectors. Besides job opportunities, MSc aspirants can go ahead with the PhD program.
Job opportunities for MSc applied psychology are available in various fields. Some of them are:
- Human Resource Manager
- Psychological Consultant
- Research Associate
- Operations Manager
Urban Planning Officer
PhD After MSc Applied Psychology
- The admission process for applying to PhD program includes the same procedure as MSc applied psychology. Respective Universities proclaim entrance exam to admit in the PhD after MSc applied psychology
- Candidates who secured an aggregate of 50% in the PG in the respective stream are eligible to apply for PhD program.
- Aspirants need to crack entrance exams respective to educational institutions or colleges to admit for Doctoral programs.
- Many top colleges are supporting the PhD program in both government and private sectors.
- AIIMS New Delhi, Jamia Millia Islamia, IGNOU, University of Hyderabad, Christ University, Bangalore are top colleges that offer PhD programs in applied psychology.
Check: PhD Psychology
MSc Applied Psychology Jobs and Career Options
Good placements and job opportunities are guaranteed after MSc applied psychology. The placements are diversified as popular roles in both private and government sectors.
Private and public organizations that hire MSc Applied Psychology graduates are:
- Apollo Hospitals
- Cognizant Technologies
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Goldman Sachs
- Indian Council of Medical Research
- Government Mental Health Hospital
- Government Authorized Psychological centers
- Indian Army
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Psychological Science- IIT Madras
MSc Applied Psychology: Top Job Profiles
The job profiles are diversified in various fields as:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Aviation Psychologist||Improve performance of Pilots, flight attendants, air traffic controllers||INR 1.1 -1.4 LPA|
|Career counselor||Experts who assess aptitude, personality, interests & other aspects||INR 3 – 3.1 LPA|
|Clinical psychologist||Identify and diagnose mental, behavioral and emotional problems. Develop Therapeutic process.||INR 2.3 – 4.1 LPA|
|Child Protection Specialist||Provide technical assistance and guidance for child protection||INR 3.4 LPA|
|Developmental Psychologist||Work with all ages of people to understand and support their growth.||INR 3.6 – 4.2 LPA|
|Educational Psychologist||Diagnose psycho-educational assessment; conduct psychological counseling in educational communities.||INR 7.7 -9.7 LPA|
|Forensic Psychologist||Understand human behavior of criminals, witnesses, victims, jury to attorneys or other legal professionals.||Fresher earn INR 1.25 LPA Average experienced earn INR 4 LPA Experts earn INR 30 LPA|
|Industrial-organization psychologist||Use psychological principles and research methods to solve problems in work place and improve working environment||INR 25000 to 40000/ month|
|School Psychologist||Support and develop student’s ability to learn, side by side, teacher’s ability to teach.||INR 2.97 – 3.81 LPA|
MSc Applied Psychology: Top Recruiters
Job prospects are scrutinized and offered by popular banners from the private sector.
Alternately for government job placements, respective exams are conducted to recruit officials in the mental health department.
|Top Recruiters||Salary (INR)|
|Bharat Biotech||3.3 – 4.6 Lakhs|
|Cap Gemini||5 – 19 Lakhs|
|Eureka Forbes||2- 2.5 Lakhs|
|First American India||4,05,880|
|Home Credit||12 Lakhs|
|India Info Line||2.3 – 3.5|
|Maruti Suzuki||2.9 Lakhs|
MSc Applied Psychology Salary
The momentum of job opportunities for psychologists is accelerating in ascending manner. Henceforth the salary for the psychology experts is tabulated as initial level, intermediate level, and maximum level.
|Experience Level||Salary (INR)|
|Initial Level||180K - 220K|
|Intermediate Level||840 - 990 K|
|Experienced Level||1175K - 2600K|
MSc Applied Psychology: FAQs
Ques: Is there eligibility criteria for physically handicapped?
Ans: Yes. Physically-handicapped individuals are invited under quota. The eligibility varies concerning the physical challenge they are meeting with. Official sites of respective Universities and colleges denote the criteria for physically handicapped for admission.
Ques: Is clinical psychology is allied science of applied psychology?
Ans: Clinical psychology is one of the streams that are included in the applied psychology. The theories and concepts of clinical psychology are implemented in learning applied psychology.
Ques: Do you say that psychology is an applied discipline?
Ans: Of course! Psychology is the applied discipline taught academically using the principles and concepts of research carried on. The applied psychology is based on the perception, cognition, emotion, personal behavior of individuals. Research studies and their theories are implemented in applied psychology.
Ques: What is the future for applied psychologists in the years ahead?
Ans: The idea of the psychological approach is increasing in the past years. The momentum of gaining psychological counseling is rising in the current decade. Based on the accountability of job seekers, the applied psychologists are gaining more importance in the future. A stressed lifestyle is also the reason for the flying colors of applied psychologists.
Ques: Can psychologists prescribe medicines?
Ans: Psychologists are Doctors (PhD) but not medical officers. The applied psychologists are not prone to prescribe drugs for their clients. The applied psychologists do not treat the clients but provide counseling for mental issues and stress.