Master of Science (M.Sc.) in Computer science and Technology is a two- years post graduate computer science programme. The programme includes system development, software engineering, artificial intelligence and mathematical foundations.
See More: MSc Courses
The candidate must have completed class 10+2 or its equivalent examination from a recognized board to be eligible for MSc Computer Science And Technology.
Admission to these courses is based on the Entrance exams conducted at the state level and the national level like BHU UET, LPUNEST, IIT JEE, etc.
The starting salary for a freshman is about 3 lakhs to 9 lakhs LPA. Candidates who want to become Computer Engineer, IT Supervisor, Data Scientist, Software Developers, Data system Analyst, Web developers etc usually go after this course.
Table of Content
- MSc Computer Science and Technology: Course Highlights
- Why Study?
- MSc Computer Science and Technology: Course Advantages
- MSc Computer Science and Technology Admission Process
4.2 Entrance Exams
- MSc Computer Science and Technology: Course Comparison
- MSc Computer Science and Technology: Job Prospects
8.1 Future Scope
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Course Highlights
Few of the highlights of this course are given below:
|Full-Form||Masters of Science|
|Examination type||Semester type|
|Eligibility||B.Sc degree with minimum 50% score|
|Admission Process||Entrance or merit based|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000/- Per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 5 Lac per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||IBM, Wipro, TCS, Amazon.com, NTT Data etc.|
|Job Positions||Data Scientist, Software Developers, Data system Analyst, Web developers etc.|
Why should you pursue MSc Computer Science and Technology?
- MSc computing Science and Technology is a most popular course pursued in the IT Sector.
- This field has immersed potential to excel your career. It's a rapidly growing field with which imparts job opportunities both in India and abroad because the industry and demand grows.
- M.Sc. in computer science & Technology is a postgraduate degree that provides current computer scientists and engineers the opportunity to expand their knowledge base and gain a more sophisticated understanding of development, troubleshooting and more.
- Master’s in Computer Science programs cover Subjects like software development, computer language theory, advanced algorithms and more.
- However what you study will depend on your previous education and career focus. Some Computer science master’s programs waive basic courses for students that are completed similar coursework during their undergraduate programme studies more courses depend on your concentration and post-graduate goals.
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Course Advantages
- Computer science and technology is the complex study of computer processes.
- This field can be broad and experimental as the computer technologists are constantly seeking information on the maintenance of existing science & technology while also anticipating trends and impacts of emerging new technologies.
- Computer science & technology degree programs often include courses the software engineering, database systems, computational theory, programming, computer ethics, operating systems, hardware network administration and many more.
- Candidates who enrolled in the course of M.Sc in Computer Science are provided with knowledge about the technicalities of the domain of Computer & Technology.
- The objective of M.Sc in Computer Science programme is to increase the skills of students who are computer science enthusiasts and enhance their skills while imparting knowledge of the global standard.
What is the MSc Computer Science and Technology Admission Process
Admissions in MSc Computer Science and Technology courses are also done through both merit and entrance exams.
- Candidates who are willing to get admission in this stream can apply to MSc Computer Science and Technology colleges by both offline and online means.
- You can either reach the official website of the institute or to this step admission office of the institute to fill the admission application form.
- Fill the application form required and upload all the necessary documents which are asked in the form.
- After completion of the process of application, go for counselling round and attend the personal interview round to get your desired college.
Entrance Exam Based Admission
Few of the entrance exams are listed below:
- AIEEE, AICET, IIT JEE, JNU, CUCET : Chandigarh University Common Entrance Test, BHU UET, LPU NEST and more are conducted for admission in the Bachelor's programs of top colleges in India.
- Candidates need to have completed their bachelors in a Computer Science and Technology subject along with 50% marked to be eligible for Masters Computer Science and Technology courses.
- Certain colleges give admission on merit basis also, after considering the CGPA or Percentage obtained in graduation.
Do I qualify for MSc Computer Science and Technology Eligibility Criteria?
- Candidates must have a background in Computer Science or a related field at the graduation level.
- Candidates must have completed their undergraduate programme from a recognised university or institute.
- For admission in some colleges, students are also required to have Mathematics as one of the compulsory subjects either at the graduation level or in Sr. Secondary(10+2).
- Candidates must have scored at least minimum 50% to 60% marks in graduation in order to be considered for admission to M.Sc Computer Science & Technology.
What are the top MSc Computer Science and Technology Entrance Exams?
Top MSc Computer Science and Technology Entrance Exams are written below:
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|CUET PG||Check Here|
|IIT JAM||Check Here|
|TISS NET||Check Here|
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Divide your schedule: Studying without a deadline isn’t something that candidates can afford, therefore they must assign their days to certain topics and finish them within the deadline.
- Keep your resources limited: It is a must for candidates to remain focused and having too many resources will only alleviate the stress. Therefore, they must research well and shortlist some resources for the study plan and stick to it. Remember, Candidates can’t cover everything from everywhere, therefore keep it simple and accurate.
- Revision is the Key: Candidates should not keep revision for the last minute. They should keep revision sessions for regular intervals. They should make some crisp notes for the last minute reading and avoid unnecessary panic before the exam.
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Top Colleges
Many colleges are offering this course in India. Some of the top colleges offering this course are listed below –
|Name of the College||Average fees|
|Poddar Group of Institute, Jaipur||INR 30,000|
|Lovely Professional University||INR 80,000|
|Kanya mahavidyalaya, Jalandhar||INR 50,000|
|Jamia Hamdard, New delhi||INR 90,000|
|Amity university, Raipur||INR 45,000|
MSc Computer Science and Technology: College Comparison
College Comparison between Amity University and Lovely Professional University is given below:
|PARAMETERS||AMITY UNIVERSITY||LOVELY PROFESSIONAL UNIVERSITY|
|Rank||NIRF Rank 115||NIRF Rank 87|
|Course fees||INR 45,000 lacs||INR 80,000 Lacs|
|Average salary||4lacs to 6 lacs||3lacs to 5 lacs|
|Top recruiters||Amazon, Accenture, Ericson, Wipro, IBM||Cognizant, Infosys, TCS|
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Tips to get Best College
To get admission into a good college one needs to ensure to have scored more than 90% at the Intermediate level. Apart from this, most of the institutes provide admission to the course on the basis of entrance examinations, hence preparing well for the entrance exams is a must for an aspirant to get the best college.
Note: Before shortlisting and selecting colleges finally, they must ensure to check the placement rate of the college, method of course delivery, admission system, and the financial aid offered there.
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Syllabus
A typical MSc Computer Science and Technology syllabus is written below –
The table shows some of the topics taught in the course throughout the 2 years of education.
|Semester 1st||Semester 2nd|
|Computer Networks||Operating Systems|
|Computer Network Laboratory||C++ Programming|
|Computer Organisation And Architecture||Data Warehousing and Data Mining|
|Database Management System||Object Oriented Programming|
|Fundamental of Information Technology||Skill Enhancement Course|
|Mathematical Foundation For Computer Science||-|
|Programming in C||-|
|Design and Analysis of Algorithms||-|
|Semester 3rd||Semester 4th|
|Programming In python||Java Programming|
|Generic Elective||Web Tech/ Java Laboratory|
|Web Technology||Introduction to Big Data|
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Recommended Books
Some of the important reference books are mentioned below:
|Name of the Books||Authors|
|Computer Application In management||Prabhakar Gupta|
|Computer Application In Business||Parameswaran R|
|Computer Organization and Architecture||William Stallings and Rajaram|
|Dot Net Technology||Damini Grover|
|The C Programming Language||Brian W Kernighan|
|C Programming: A modern Approach||K N King|
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Course Comparison
All these degrees may sound similar. But MSc in Computer Science and Technology and MCA are different courses. Below is mentioned the comparison of all these courses:
See Also: Top MCA Colleges in India
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor degree with minimum 50 Percent Marks from recognised university||Bachelor degree in BCA or its equivalent.|
|Admission Process||Merit and entrance exam based||Merit and Entrance exam|
|Average Fees||50,000 per annum||80,000 per annum|
|Job Options||System Administrator, Software Programmer, Software Tester, Software Analyst Database Manager||Software Programmer, System Analyst, Software Application Architect, Software Consultant, Hardware Engineer, Systems Developer and Web Designer|
|Top colleges||Lovely Professional university, JECRC University jaipur, Chandigarh university, Thapar university, Arihant Group of institutes Pune, VIT University, Chennai||Lovely Professional university, JECRC University jaipur, Chandigarh university, Thapar university, Arihant Group of institutes Pune.|
MSc Computer Science and Technology: Job Prospects
After completing degree M.Sc in Computer Science, Students also get good career options in government sector organisations like National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC).
Top Job Profile and Average Salary are given below:
|Job Profile||Average annual Salary|
|Software engineer||INR 6-13 Lacs|
|Software developers||INR 4- 9 Lacs|
|Web developers||INR 3-9 Lacs|
|Data Analyst||INR 2-7 Lacs|
Future scope after MSc Computer Science and Technology
After completing the MSc Computer Science and Technology course graduates can continue doing their further study and go for a PhD. It will enhance their language skills and provide more knowledge. Graduates can work in the government sector as well as the private sector.
PhD: If a student wants to continue in the same field of education, the second program of choice is a PhD. It is a three to five year duration course and the eligibility criteria include having a MSc Degree in related disciplines.
See Also Top PhD Colleges in India
MSc Computer Science and Technology: FAQs
Ques. What is the admission process for MSc Computer Science and Technology?
Ans. The admission process for MSc. Computer Science and Technology is -
- Go to the official website of college whichever you want to apply to.
- Register yourself as a new candidate.
- Fill the application form.
- Provide all your academic details.
- Check whether admission is done on merit basis or entrance exam.
- Submit your email id.
- Pay the application fee.
- Submit the form.
- If admission is done on entrance basis then remember to download your admit card.
Ques. Is there any age limit for pursuing this course?
Ans. No , there is no age limit; a person of every age can pursue this course.
Ques. What is the salary of MSc. Computer Science and Technology fresher?
Ans. The salary for freshers is INR 2 to 4 LPA.
Ques. Is it possible to pursue MSc. Computer Science and Technology from distance mode ?
Ans. Yes, you can pursue MSc. Computer Science and Technology in distance mode.
Ques. What are the documents that are needed at the time of admission?
Ans. The documents are -
- Passport size photographs
- 10+2 Mark Sheet.
- High School Mark Sheet.
- Caste Certificate
- Birth Certificate
- Domicile Certificate
- Adhar card