MSc or Master of Science in Fashion Designing is a post-graduation course with a duration of 2 years. This course prepares the graduates of this discipline or corresponding subjects into skillful designers in textile and fashion apparel. This course evokes personal creativity and design philosophy to create new designs and styles in the fashion industry.
Know More About Fashion Design Courses
Students learn various aspects of textile, garments, fashion, apparel manufacturing, the art of designing and prints, and many other subjects which are required to be an expert in this subject or domain throughout the course. There are several universities and institutes where willing graduates can apply for Masters in fashion designing, like the International School of Design, National Institute for Fashion and Technology, International Institute of fashion design, and many more. The average course fee ranges from 20,000 INR to 4 Lacs INR.
M.Sc in Fashion Designing provides an opportunity to grow your career in different employment options like Costume designers, Graphic Designer, Fashion Coordinator, etc. The average salary of a professional fashion designer ranges from 3 lacs INR – 10 INR lacs per annum and gradually increases with experience and exposure. They can also opt for MBA Course after completing this course
M.Sc Fashion Designing Course Highlights
|Course Level||M.Sc (Post Graduate)|
|Full-Form||Masters of Science in Fashion Designing|
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||B.SC or Bachelors of Science in Fashion Designing with at least 50% marks|
|Admission Process||Based on the Entrance examination and a general round of interview|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to INR 4lacs on an average|
|Average Salary||INR 3 lacs - 20 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Sectors||Pantaloons, Omega Designs, Shoppers Stop, ITC ltd, Benetton, Raymonds, Vogue, Lifestyle, Uni Style India, Proline, Madura Garments, Orient Craft|
|Job Positions||Fashion Blogger, Costume Designer, Fashion Show Organiser, Fashion Coordinator, Fashion Journalist, and Lecturer|
M.Sc in Fashion Designing is a fine combination of intriguing fashion studies and immense studio practice. Below given are a few points about MSc Fashion Designing.
- MSc Fashion Designing is designed to provide eligible candidates a specialization in the wide range of applications and research skills used in the fashion industry.
- The students explore their creative side intellectually along with conceptualization, Textile manipulation and designing, prototyping garment, branding, and business, etc.
- To understand the complexity of fashion designing the students need to acquire knowledge, creativity, a mature sense of the fashion industry, learn skills, and specialize.
- MSc Fashion Designing curriculum helps students to develop their signature style and explore the conceptual contexts of their work and enables one to apply advanced theory and practice in the chosen specialization.
- This course also helps students to develop skills like Creativity and artistic taste, Knowledge of colors, textures, and shapes, Technical knowledge of tasks such as pattern cutting and sewing, Knowledge of fashion trends, Drawing and sketching skills, Originality, and innovativeness.
Why Choose MSc Fashion Designing?
MSc Fashion Designing students explore a lot of other disciplines for producing better outcomes that include conceptualization, textile manipulation, video storytelling, and lots more other aspects.
- Fashion Designing is one of the leading aspects of India today and continuously growing with the passing days.
- Students learn to develop new styles and products for clothing brands to suit local trends and buyers.
- MSc Fashion Designing graduates can work as a fashion designer in any clothing company or fashion house.
- They can also find excellent placements in the garment, leather, and jewelry industry as merchandising executives, fashion designers, illustrators, fashion co-coordinators, etc.
Check out: Top Colleges for MSc Fashion Designing
The admission process for a Master of Science in Fashion Designing is similar in every college across the whole country. Students have to appear in entrance exams that include the General Aptitude Test, Creative Ability Test, and Comprehension of English test to get admission. Students have to go through personal interviews in specific universities. In this process, the management of the university decides whether the students should be given admission or not. Some of the institutions also provide merit-based admission for the scholars and top scorers. Therefore, it is important for students to also go through personal interview tests efficiently.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for MSc Fashion Designing?
MSc Fashion Designing Aspirants must qualify the following criteria to be eligible for admission in this course.
- Candidates are required to secure an aggregate of 50% marks in their Graduation from a reputed college or institution.
- Candidates must have cleared the cutoff marks of the applied college or university.
- The marks of admission for this MSc Fashion Designing vary from university to university. In various colleges and universities, it conducts entrance exams plus interviews for the admission of the candidates.
What are the MSc Fashion Designing Entrance Exams?
There are several Institutes and universities which conduct their own entrance exams in order to shortlist candidates for MSc Fashion Design course. Some of the most popular entrance exams conducted for this course are mentioned below.
- CEED stands for Common Entrance Examination for Design is a joint entrance test conducted for admission into post-graduate studies in the field of fashion design. The exam is held annually for MSc Fashion Designing Aspirants.
- NIFT is conducted by the National Institute of Fashion Technology as it conducts its own entrance test in order to shortlist students for various undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
|Entrance Exams||Exam Dates|
|CUET PG||Check Here|
|IIT JAM||Check Here|
|TISS NET||Check Here|
Also Read: MSc Fashion Designing Entrance Exam Syllabus
What is the Syllabus of M.Sc Fashion?
|First Year||Second Year|
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Fashion Communication|
|Advanced Pattern Making||Construction of Women's Wear|
|Design Illustration||Computer-Aided Designing|
|Retail Marketing and Merchandising||Construction of Men's Wear|
|Knitwear design Technology||Fashion Communication|
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Construction of Men's Wear|
|Advanced Pattern Making||Construction of Women's Wear|
|Design Illustration||Computer-Aided Designing|
|Retail Marketing and Merchandising||-|
|Knitwear design Technology||-|
Which are the Top Universities/Institutes offering M.Sc Fashion Designing?
There are many other universities and privates institutions that offer admission to pursue MSc Fashion Designing
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Fees|
|International Institute of fashion design (Mumbai)||Entrance Based||INR 2.5 Lacs|
|International Institute of Fashion Technology (Delhi)||Entrance Based||INR 2.4 lacs|
|Asian Academy of film and television (Noida)||Entrance Based||INR 3.4 lacs|
|Lovely professional university (Jalandhar)||Merit-Based||INR 2.38 lacs|
|Kurukshetra University (Kurushetra)||Entrance Based||INR 80,000|
|International Institute of fashion design (Delhi)||Entrance Based||INR 76,000|
|CT University (Ludhiana)||Merit-Based||INR 60,000|
|International School of Design (Mumbai)||Entrance-Based||INR 76,000|
|The Counsellors (Mumbai)||Merit-Based||INR 60,000|
|Pacific University, Udaipur||Merit-Based||INR 35,000|
|Galgotia University, Greater Noida||Merit-Based||INR 1,60,000|
M.Sc Fashion Designing College Comparison
|Aspects||International Institute of fashion design||Lovely professional university||Asian Academy of film and television|
|Overview||IIFD Established in the year 2003, this college provides courses across the Fashion, Interiors, and Textile Design field. It provides level across B.Sc., M.Sc., and other short-term courses.||LPU is a private university located at Jalandhar, Punjab. It is recognized by UGC and provides more than 200 programs in about 55 disciplines.||AAFT was Founded in 1993, this college is located in Noida, Uttar Pradesh. It provides courses across B.Des, B.A., B.Sc., and other UG and PG level courses.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 2.5 lakhs to INR 5 Lakhs||INR 95,200 to INR 3.04 Lakhs||INR 1.02 lakhs to INR 3.54 lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 6,00,000||INR 5,00,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Top Companies||Caltex, Shopper stop, Tommy Hilfiger||Amazon India, IBM, Xerox, CTS, Federal Bank||MakeMyTrip, NDTV, MindFlame, Fortune, Sparsa.|
M.Sc Fashion Designing Course Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between MSc Fashion and MSc Textile Designing. The following table of both the course comparison will provide a better idea:
|Aspects||Fashion Designing||Textile Designing|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Examination type||Semester System||Semester System|
|Eligibility||B.Sc or Bachelors of Science in Fashion Designing with at least 50% marks||B.Sc / B.A/ diploma in Textile Designing with at least 50% marks|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 4,00,000||INR 40,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||3-20 LPA INR||2- 4 LPA INR|
|Job Positions||Costume designer, Fashion designer, Graphic Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Textile expert, Technical designer etc.||Specialists, Printing Supervisors or Managers, Curator, Stylist, In-house Designer, Textile Designer, Fabric Analyser and Fabric Resource Manager.|
What are the Job prospects and career options of M.Sc Fashion Designing?
Most of the luxurious apparel companies look for enthusiastic fashion designers for their market development and wider approach to fashion and style statement. The designers specialize in designing clothes, accessories, shoes, and many more, which eventually opens a path for better carrier prospects. As it’s a creative job profile one can create one’s own business or boutique to pursue a career as an independent fashion designer.
Here is a brief job description with salary:
|Job Profile||Description||Average Salary|
|Costume Designer||The professionals who combine the elements of color and fabric textures to design costumes of different kinds of occupation, era, or region.||INR 5,40,000|
|Fabric Buyer||The professionals who evaluate current trends and textiles then negotiate the market price with other fabric to provide the company with the right statistics to make a profit on.||INR 5,21,000|
|Technical Designer||These professionals work on visual aspects of designing, image, and perception. They work on graphics, animations, colors, sound, and movement.||INR 5,00,000|
|Graphic Designer||The professional who designs logos, signs, brochures, movie credits, and web site graphics. They often work for advertising, marketing, and media management firms. Designers assess client problems and design graphic solutions to aid product branding and sales||INR 2,74,000|
|Fashion Coordinator||These professionals handle the fashion events, employees, other’s careers in the fashion industry. They hire assistants and event managers.||INR 7,80,000|
M.Sc. Fashion Designing Future Scope
Fashion Designing is one of the leading aspects of India. Even in the Global Fashion, Indian fashion and textile have proven its worth through exclusive designs and material. With the constant growth and growth in the market of fashion industries, the career and future scope in fashion designing seem smooth and promising. But the person has to be hardworking and creative in order to reach the top, A Professional Fashion Designer.
- MSc Fashion Designing graduates having basic sketching skills can work in the apparel manufacturing process and help in fashion drawing and designing.
- The introduction of the international fashion market in India has given an impetus to the fashion industry, which has become a rapidly emerging industry and the demand for fashion designers is more than ever.
- MSc Fashion graduates can pursue a Master of Business Management in Fashion Design as it can help them in becoming successful entrepreneurs.
- They can work as a Celebrity fashion designer who designs costumes and apparel to be donned by the who's who of the film and television industry.
- MSc Fashion Designing graduates can also go for PhD Fashion Design. The course requires one to perform extensive research about the past, present and future expected trends.
MSc Fashion Designing FAQs
Ques. Is Fashion Designing a good career?
Ques. How much does it cost to do masters in Fashion designing?
Ques. What is the highest qualification in Fashion Designing?
Ques. What is the average salary of a Fashion Designer in India?
Ques. Is a diploma in Fashion Designing good enough?
Ques. Which Job profile provides the best salary package in the industry?
Ques. What are the job profiles one can apply after completion of this course?
Ques. What is important for fashion designing, knowledge, or creativity?