M.Tech Design Engineering is a 2-year postgraduate program that aims to prepare the aspirants for leading roles in Research & Development or Design functions of Engineering Industries. Candidates need to possess a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized university in a relevant discipline as a minimum eligibility criterion.
Top Institutes offering this course are:
Admission to the same is entrance-exam based. GATE is one such entrance exam conducted for admission to the course.
Candidates, through this program, will acquire skills like Design Thinking, Maths & Engineering principles, Contemporary Computational Software and Project Management. All these are essential to Engineering & Research functions of an organisation.
M.Tech Design Engineering is focused on the mechanical aspects and modern practices of design and its applications. The stream offers subjects such as Advanced Solid Mechanics, Theory of Mechanisms, Theory of Vibrations, Concepts of Engineering Design, and many others.
The students are encouraged to engage in research activities and write for national/international journals. The course fees range between INR 50,000 - 1.5 lacs for the total duration. The probable salaries offered to successful postgraduates in this field are between 5-8 lacs per annum.
Top Colleges for Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Design Engineering)
M.Tech Design Engineering: Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of the course:
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Graduation from a recognised university|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam- based Eg. GATE|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 1.5 lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5-8 Lacs|
|Top Recruiting Fields/Areas||L&T Construction Ltd., Nissan Ashok Leyland, Hyundai, 3dPLM, Pricol, PATNI, WABCO, GE (Oil & Gas), UST Global, Tata Advanced Materials, Abaqus, ABB, Bosch, L&T ECC, WIPRO, L&T Infotech Ltd., Nationstar Mortgage, IP Infusion, Tavant Technologies Pvt. Ltd., Safran Engineering Services Pvt Ltd.|
|Job Titles||Mechanical Engineer, Service Engineer, Instructional Designer, etc.|
M.Tech Design Engineering: What is it About?
M.Tech Design Engineering lays emphasis on real-time applications and trains students in the design, development, and simulation. The course also enables learners to explore new areas in Engineering Design and allied sciences.
M.Tech Design Engineering aims to produce design engineers with exceptional creative abilities and caliber to solve real-life problems. In order to cater to industry requirements of the growing design engineering, the program facilitates internship and hones the practical skills of the students.
As the program completes, learners will be able to:
- Design elements of a machine with complex geometry and composite material systems.
- Determine vibration for mechanical systems and recommend improvement.
- Perform computational modelling of product functions.
- Integrate mechanical systems with electrical and electronic control systems.
- Comply methods and instruments suitable for various experimental setup.
- Select the most appropriate materials suitable for components based on performance, manufacturability and environmental sustainability.
- Lead research and development projects.
M.Tech Design Engineering: Top Institutes
Listed below are some of the top institutes offering the course Master of Technology M.Tech in Design Engineering in the country with the corresponding locations and fees charged by them:
|Name||City||Fees per annum in INR|
|Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS)||Pilani||85,600|
|Indian Institute of Technology- IIT Bombay||Mumbai||18,626|
|Indian Institute of Technology- IIT Delhi||Delhi||60,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology- IIT Chennai||Chennai||16,979|
|College of Engineering, Anna University||Chennai||45,220|
|Indian Institute of Technology - IIT Dhanbad||Dhanbad||49,900|
|Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology||Allahabad||82,000|
|PSG College of Technology||Coimbatore||47,480|
|Indian Institute of Technology -IIT Hyderabad||Hyderabad||24,650|
|Malaviya National Institute of Technology||Jaipur||90,000|
|Kongu Engineering College||Erode||55,000|
|Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University||Coimbatore||1,40,500|
|Indian Institute of Information Technology Design and Manufacturing||Jabalpur||50,500|
M.Tech Design Engineering: Eligibility
Applicants wishing to pursue M.Tech Design Engineering must fulfil the below requirements:
- Minimum 60% marks with PCM stream (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics) at Higher & Senior Secondary level (10th & 12th).
- A Pass with Minimum 60% in B.E./B.Tech in the relevant area of specialization or equivalent qualification.
|Top Design Engineering Colleges in Tamil Nadu||Top Design Engineering Colleges in Maharashtra||Top Design Engineering Colleges in Telangana||Top Design Engineering Colleges in Andhra Pradesh|
M.Tech Design Engineering: Admission Process
Admission into M. Tech programs is conducted on the basis of marks obtained in GATE exam. GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is an all India examination that primarily tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering and Technology. Counseling is done and on the basis of marks obtained, allotment of colleges takes place according to student's preference.
M.Tech Design Engineering: Syllabus and Course Description
A semester wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Advanced Mathematics||Engineering Design Lab I|
|Theory of Elasticity||Personality Development & Self Awareness|
|Finite Element Method||Mechanical Behaviour of Engineering Materials|
|Mechanical Vibrations||Elective I|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Mechanical Analysis and Design
|Elective II||Elective IV|
|Engineering Design Lab II||Project|
|Mechanism Analysis and Synthesis||-|
M.Tech Design Engineering: Who should opt?
In order to become a top-notch engineer, the student must possess the following skills:
- STEM Skills: STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics. Engineering is a series of mathematical and logistical problems, therefore Knowledge of these four subjects is a prerequisite.
- Ability to Work as a Team: Nobody completes an engineering project by oneself. A single project requires mind and expertise of individual professionals in order to achieve satisfying results. The experience of working cohesively in a team is then built upon throughout their working life.
- Strong Analytical Skills: Engineering is a profession saturated with problem-solving. Hence every task needs an analytical approach. The solution has to be found so that it fulfills all requirements with as little risk as possible. Experimentation and testing begin before work so budget is kept in check.
- Attention to Detail: There is no doubt that engineering projects are extremely complex. There are humongous details that have to be addressed in the planning and construction processes. The learners of this course need to possess a high level of attention to detail to ensure error-free results.
- Excellent Communication Skills: This is a field in which a lot of technical languages is used. When talking to clients and people unaware of technical language, running a conversation gets pretty hectic. Clear communication then becomes vital, also while working with other teams and personnel.
- Willingness to Learn: If you are passionate about what you do then you always keep updated of industry changes and developments. Learning new techniques helps the students to perform their job to the best of their abilities.
- Management and Leadership Skills: These include the knowledge about when to step in or back off; how to best make use of a team member’s strengths; how to align and discipline someone and so on. To become a top engineer, leadership is a required trait.
M.Tech Design Engineering: Career Prospects
There is abundant scope for Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Engineering Design. The field has an increasing potential for the growing demand of qualified professionals.
The postgraduates of M.Tech Design Engineering work in the above and related fields:
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems
- Designing of machine components
- Designing of the machine tool
- Designing of subsystems for Automotive Engineering
The completion of the course opens doors ample job opportunities for postgraduates in all kinds of Mechanical Engineering related industries, automotive industries, and research and development. It also enables the student to become an entrepreneur.
Some of the popular avenues open to postgraduates of M.Tech in Design Engineering are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary in INR|
|Mechanical Engineer||They design power-producing machines such as electric generators, internal combustion engines, steam and gas turbines and others. They also design power-using machines, such as refrigeration and air-conditioning systems. Mechanical engineers generally work in professional office settings and have their own staff.||10-12 lacs|
|Service Engineer||Their job is to serve the various machinery used in large industries. Service engineer is also known as field service engineers or maintenance engineers. They analyze and service equipment machinery that is worn out.||2-3 lacs|
|Instructional Designer||The job of an Instructional designer is to identify the skills, knowledge, information and attitude gaps of a targeted audience and create, select or suggest learning experiences that bridge this gap. The form solutions based on instructional theory and best practices from the field.||5-6 lacs|