M.Tech. in Electrical Power Engineering is a 2-year Postgraduate course in the domain of Electrical engineering with specialization in Power Engineering. The program is offered to students who have completed their bachelor’s level education in the respective or related domain of engineering. A minimum of 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level is the least which almost all the institutes desire from applying candidates as an eligibility criterion.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Bharat Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Narayana Engineering College
- AMC Engineering College
- Amity School of Engineering and Technology
- ARM College of Engineering and Technology
The fee for the course varies between INR 56,000 to 2.5 Lacs in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
The course is designed to accustom the modern engineering needs of power electronics and academic needs of a master’s level engineering curriculum. This is done to equip students
Admissions to M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering course are done on the basis of Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection method while providing a due weightage to merit that is the percentage of marks obtained at Under Graduate (UG) level by the aspiring candidate.
Majority of the colleges and universities offer admissions to the course through entrance test mechanism rely on the score of National level common entrance exams like GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering), while some of them opt for a separate entrance exam of their own (Like BITSAT HD or LPUNEST). in a holistic and comprehensive manner about the knowledge of the subject and the industry/practical level skills that will enable them to take on the day to day challenges with precision and ease.
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering postgraduates have a wide range of job opportunities. One can choose to work in the area/with firms such as Research and Development Center, Design and manufacturing firms, Discoms, Power supplier, Energy generation etc. After completion of post graduation, one may pursue further studies (like M.Phil and Ph.D.) in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average remuneration ranges between INR 17,000 and 22,000 a month for a fresh pass out.
Top Colleges for Master of Technology [M.Tech] (Electrical Power Engineering)
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 50% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based (Weightage for Merit is provided)|
|Course Fee||Between INR 56,000 to 2.5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 17,000 to 22,000|
|Top Recruiting area||Research and Development Center, Design and manufacturing firms, Discoms, Power supplier, Energy generation etc.|
|Job Position||Transmission engineer, Supply manager, Discom in charge, Power engineer, Design engineer, Researcher etc.|
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: What is it about?
Power Engineering as a sub-specialization under the ambit of electrical engineering aims at studying generation, transmission, distribution, and utilization of electric power and electrical apparatus connected to such system. Thus, in a major sense, it focuses on generation and flow of power through electrical circuits in alternating form and varying phase.
It is a well-known fact that electrical power is a backbone of various day to day activities at household and commercial level. Hence maintaining of proper flow in supply cycle becomes crucial for ensuring that the cycle of progress in our society moves smoothly without a hiccup. Engineering is a field of application of acquired knowledge aims at making life simpler for humans. Electrical engineering does the same in the context of electrical generation and flow.
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering course taps the academic requirements as well as the needs of the industry by transforming postgraduate students of technology into an efficient and effective workforce that is capable of industry specific demands. The course aims to achieve this through its course design and structure that access conceptual clarity through theoretical exams and hands-on efficiency through practical assessment.
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: Top Institutes
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering is offered as a master’s level course in engineering course by many reputed colleges/universities to candidates who have passed their UG or equivalent examination in Electronics and Communication Engineering/Electrical and electronics engineering/Electronics and Instrumentation stream from a recognized state or central university.
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Fee Per annum basis|
|Bharat Institute of Engineering and Technology||Rangareddi||INR 57,390|
|Narayana Engineering College||Nellore||INR 63,000|
|Acharya Institute of Technology||Bangalore||INR 64,500|
|Adarsh College of Engineering||Angul||INR 67,390|
|Al-Ameen Engineering College||Palakkad||INR 76,800|
|AMC Engineering College||Bangalore||INR 2,11,750|
|Amity School of Engineering and Technology||Noida||INR 99,600|
|Aryabhatta College of Engineering and Research Center||Ajmer||INR 70, 200|
|AF University||Faridabad||INR 15,700|
|ARM College of Engineering and Technology||Kanchipuram||INR 12,500|
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the B.E/B.Tech or equivalent examination in Electronics and Communication Engineering/Electrical and electronics engineering/Electronics and Instrumentation with at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the Subject/Subjects at B.E/B.Tech level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (like work experience of certain years).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like GATE). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common for most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: Admission Process
Admissions to the course mostly involve a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various universities and colleges in the country).
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.Tech courses (like BITS HD) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like GATE. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After counseling cum admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into four semesters spread over a span of two years. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their Master’s. The syllabus covers all the aspects related to the specialization so, as to provide a holistic understanding of the subject to the master’s level students.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Power system modeling||Power System Dynamics and Control|
|Renewable Energy system||Advanced Power Systems|
|Advanced Power Electronics||Elective-3|
|Powers system lab-1||Power system lab-2/Mini Project|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Project management and intellectual property rights||Project stage-2|
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have a background in engineering at bachelor’s level that is those who have done Electronics and Communication Engineering/Electrical and electronics engineering/Electronics and Instrumentation/Computer Science/IT engineering.
- Those who have a career in Engineering service in mind.
- Those who are aiming at technical and application based jobs.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering: Career Prospects
M.Tech in Electrical Power Engineering postgraduate has plenty of options to choose from in terms of his/her career. One can choose to work as Transmission engineer, Supply manager, Discom in charge, Power engineer, Design engineer, Researcher etc.
To provide you a complete view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where engineering postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Transmission Engineer||Transmission engineer is involved in the task of ensuring smooth flow of electrical power from the source to destination as a part of the transmission channel.||INR 2.95-3.20 Lacs|
|Discom In charge||The job involves supervision and management of a power distribution firm or unit.||INR 3.28-3.75 Lacs|
|Power engineer||The job involves working on distributions circuits and machinery along with periodic maintenance check of them.||INR 2.42 -2.63 Lacs|
|Supply engineer||Supply engineer is involved in ensuring the optimum level of voltage and current in a transmission cycle so, as to avoid any glitch in the process of distribution of power.||INR 2.27-2.55 Lacs|
|Technical consultant||Technical consultants are involved in the design, planning, and simulation of product, network, and devices.||INR 2.22-3.15 Lacs|