What is MTTM?
Master of Tourism and Travel Management is a 2-year postgraduate program in the field of Travel and Tourism. The aim of this program is to build in eligible students a solid foundation in all facets of the tourism and the hospitality industry.
This program basically equips students with the necessary skills which are required to be successful in the travel and tourism industry.
The course curriculum of MTTM includes Geography of Tourism, Indian Cultural Heritage, Tourism Industry, Travel Trade Management and numerous others.
In order to be eligible to apply to this course, candidates are required to hold a Bachelor’s degree in Tourism Service or B.A in Tourism or B.Sc. in Hospitality and Hotel Administration or Bachelor in Hotel Management.
Admission to this program will be done based on candidate’s performance in the qualifying examination i.e. Bachelor’s degree exams. However, there are some colleges which admit students based on their performance in the entrance exams.
Some of the top colleges providing this degree have been tabulated in the table given below.
|NIRF Overall Ranking 2020||Name of the College/ University||Admission Process||Average annual fees||Average placement package|
|10||BHU, Varanasi||Entrance-Based||INR 60,000||INR 7,15,000|
|16||JMI, New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 40,535||INR 5,00,000|
|31||Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||Merit-Based||INR 2,07,030||INR 5,85,000|
|49||MGU, Kottayam||Merit-Based||INR 27,070||INR 6,10,000|
|63||Amity University, Noida||Merit-Based||INR 1,50,000||INR 4,75,000|
The average annual program fee in India ranges between INR 13,000 and 2,55,000, depending on the institute offering the course.
The average annual starting salary offered to MTTM degree holders in India ranges between INR 2,00,000 and 8,00,000 depending on candidate’s expertise in the field.
Check Out: Top MTTM Colleges in India
Common job profiles offered to MTTM postgraduates can be a Tourism Marketing Manager, Public Relations and Security, Operations Manager, Travel Agent etc.
Some of the top recruiting areas include Airlines, Hotels, Tourism, Travel Industries etc.
If the candidates wish to go for further studies, they can pursue PhD Tourism Management and MPhil in Tourism Management. Check Out: MPhil/PhD Tourism Management Colleges
MTTM Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are provided in the table given below:
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Bachelor degree in Hotel Management (BHM) or Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management (BTTM) with minimum aggregate of 50% and above or earning a B.Sc. in Hospitality and Administration (BHM) or BA in Tourism along with holding a Diploma in Tourism|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 13,000 to INR 2,55,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Airlines, Hotels, Tourism, Travel Industries etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Tourism Marketing Manager, Public Relations and Security, Operations Manager, Travel Agent etc.|
What is MTTM Admission Process?
The admission process followed for admission of students for MTTM course are mentioned below:
- Most of the colleges and universities follow merit-based admissions and offer admission on the basis of candidate’s performance in the Bachelor’s degree examination.
- Some colleges or universities select students depending on their marks in the entrance exam.
- The minimum marks required in the qualifying examination is 50%.
|Top MTTM Colleges in Uttar Pradesh||Top MTTM Colleges in Delhi||Top MTTM Colleges in Kerala|
|Top MTTM Colleges in Karnataka||Top MTTM Colleges in Assam||Top MTTM Colleges in Haryana|
Merit Based Admission
Most of the colleges offer admission to this course on the basis of marks scored in the qualifying examination. The stepwise admission process is discussed below.
- Step 1: Students have to fill the application form through an online process according to their eligibility.
- Step 2: Cut-off list will be released on the official website of the college.
- Step 3: Students will be called for a counselling round.
- Step 4: Shortlisted candidates will be offered admission to the course.
Entrance Based Admission
Some colleges and universities offer admission to MTTM programs on the basis of entrance exams conducted by the admission authorities.
The stepwise procedure to apply for entrance-based admission are as follows:
- Step 1: Students have to register on the official website.
- Step 2: After examination, a cut-off list will be provided on the website. Seats will be allotted to candidates on the basis of their score in the entrance exam.
- Step 3: Some colleges conduct personal interviews and written tests for final selection.
- Step 4: After a student is found eligible, admission will be offered to the student.
MTTM Eligibility Criteria
Students seeking admission to MTTM course are required to follow the minimum eligibility criteria given below:
- Candidates must have completed their Bachelor degree in Hotel Management (BHM) or Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management (BTTM) with a minimum aggregate of 50% and above for General Category and 45% for candidates of SC/ST.
- Applicants who have completed B.Sc. in Hospitality and Administration (BHM) or BA in Tourism along with holding a Diploma in Tourism are also eligible to apply to this program.
- Students having Diploma in Tourism along with Bachelor’s degree will be required to pass additional four subjects while pursuing the program.
MTTM Entrance Exams
Some of the top colleges and universities which offer this Master’s degree program conduct an entrance test for admission to this program.
With entrance examinations, colleges/ universities will be able to check knowledge and ability of the student on the basis of which selection to a particular course takes place.
How to prepare for MTTM entrance exams?
We have listed a few points below to help the aspirants cracking the entrance exams.
- Candidates should know the basics of the topics covered in the field of Travel and Tourism Industry to score well in the entrance exam.
- They should be well versed with the entire syllabus studied during the Bachelor’s degree.
- Based on the previous year’s paper, prepare a study plan which will allow you to cover the syllabus as well as revise it efficiently.
- Practice as many sample papers and model tests as possible. These will certainly offer an advantage because the students can assess the question pattern and their time management skills.
- Note down all the important topics from the previous year papers and devote adequate time to each important topic.
How to get admission to a good MTTM College?
- You can get admission in a good college if you had a sound academic record in your undergraduate degree and also on the basis of your performance in various national or state level entrance tests. The greater the score, the better will be the chances of getting admission in the top MTTM colleges in India.
- Look out for the eligibility, cut-offs, selection criteria, admission process, application procedure, and other updates to benefit you for better preparation.
- Candidates are advised to start their preparation for MTTM entrance exams as early as possible so they have enough time for their preparation.
- Practice as many papers and questions as you can in order to enhance your time management skills.
MTTM Syllabus and Course Description
The detailed semester-wise syllabus of MTTM program is provided in the table given below:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Geography of Tourism||E-Tourism|
|Ethical, business & legal environment of tourism||Methodology of Research|
|Travel trade management||Tourism Analysis for policy decision maker|
|Tourism Industry: Principles, Policies & Practices||Managerial Accounting for Tourism|
|Indian cultural heritage||Sustainable Tourism|
|Managing behavioural processes in the organization||Destination Marketing|
|Softcore: Communication Skills||Softcore: Personality Development|
|__||Study Tour and VIVA-VOCE|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Foreign Language Study||Foreign Language Study|
|International Tourism & Ticketing||Public Relations|
|Travel Agency & Tour Operations||Transport Management|
|Indian Heritage||Event Management|
|Human Resource Management||Viva-Voce|
MTTM Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering MTTM program are provided in the table given below:
|NIRF Overall Ranking 2020||Name of the College/ University||Admission Procedure||Average Semester Fees||Average Placement Package|
|10||BHU, Varanasi||BHU PET||INR 60,000||INR 7,15,000|
|16||JMI, New Delhi||Entrance-Based||INR 40,535||INR 5,00,000|
|31||Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||Entrance-Based||INR 2,07,030||INR 5,85,000|
|49||MGU, Kottayam||Entrance-Based||INR 27,070||INR 6,10,000|
|63||Amity University, Noida||Entrance-Based||INR 1,50,000||INR 4,75,000|
|65||Tezpur University, Tezpur||Entrance-Based||INR 39,186||INR 6,25,000|
|74||North Eastern Hill University, Shillong||Entrance/ Merit-Based||INR 4,820||INR 4,37,000|
|101-150||MDU, Rohtak||Entrance/ Merit-Based||INR 54,810||INR 3,70,000|
|151-200||Christ University, Bangalore||Entrance-Based||INR 1,70,000||INR 6,85,000|
|151-200||Amity University, Jaipur||Entrance-Based||INR 90,000||INR 5,28,000|
MTTM College Comparison
The basic difference between the top universities/ institutes offering MTTM course for the convenience of students is provided in the table given below:
|Name of the College||BHU, Varanasi||JMI, New Delhi|
|Overview||Banaras Hindu University is one of the premier universities in India. This deemed university offers a large number of courses at the undergraduate, postgraduate and the research level.||Jamia Milia Islamia is a central university which was established in 1920. This university has a large number of departments teaching Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Doctoral, Diploma, Certificate and Postgraduate programs in the fields of Arts, Science, Commerce, Engineering, Management and Pharmacy.|
|NIRF Overall Ranking 2020||10||16|
|Eligibility Criteria||Hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.||Hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.|
|Average Semester Fees||INR 60,000||INR 40,535|
|Average Salary Package||INR 7,15,000||INR 5,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Airlines, Hotels, Tourism, Travel Industries etc.||Airlines, Hotels, Tourism, Travel Industries etc.|
Why study MTTM Course?
There are a large number of benefits of pursuing an MTTM program. Some of the prominent ones are:
- The activities undertaken while pursuing this course helps in instilling good communication and interpersonal skills in the students, so as to help them meet the expectations of the soaring needs of the industry.
- After completing this course, students easily get jobs as a Tourism Marketing Manager, Public Relations and Security, Operations Manager, Travel Agent and numerous others.
- This course opens up attractive opportunities for candidates in the sector of Hospitality, Travel, Administration and Tourism.
- This program proves to the pretty beneficial for students who wish to avail for the future research study in the field.
- Handsome salary packages are offered to MTTM postgraduates with the average salary ranging between INR 2,00,000 and INR 8,00,000.
MTTM Course Comparison
Both MTTM and MA Tourism Management are similar courses and are pretty popular among students owing to huge career scope. The key points of difference between the above two courses are provided in the table below:
|Parameters||MTTM||MA Tourism Management|
|Qualification||Master of Tourism and Travel Management||Master of Arts in Tourism Management|
|Course Overview||The aim of this program is to build in eligible students a solid foundation in all facets of the tourism and the hospitality industry.||This program has bee designed to provide students a specialization in tourism-related industries which includes hotels, resorts, airlines etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 13,000 to 2,55,000||INR 3,000 to 12,000|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.||Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Top Job Areas||Airlines, Hotels, Tourism, Travel Industries etc.||Airlines, Hotels, Tourism, Travel Industries etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Tourism Marketing Manager, Public Relations and Security, Operations Manager, Travel Agent etc.||Assistant Sales Manager, Ticketing Executive, Professor & Lecturer, Accounts Assistant, Tour Management Executive, Travel Consultant etc.|
MTTM Scope and Salary
Successful postgraduates in Tourism and Travel Management can make their career in a wide range of fields such as Airlines, Hotels, Tourism, Travel Industries etc.
The trend set in getting a decent job usually depends on campus placements. Every year, large campus recruitment drives are organized by large companies collectively with an aim to hire students in bulk.
Students having a MTTM degree will be able to find work as a Operations Manager, Travel Agent, Maintenance Manager, Tourism Marketing Manager, Travel Trainer etc.
Some of the popular professional jobs available to MTTM degree holders along with the corresponding salaries are provided in the table given below:
|Job Position||Job Profile||Average Annual Salary|
|Operations Manager||The job role of an Operations Manager includes monitoring the production and provision of services and to ensure the efficient working of the industry.||INR 7,75,000|
|Travel Agent||The job of a Travel Agent is to manage the transportation, lodging, admission and planning the entire itinerary of the clients.||INR 3,20,000|
|Business Development Manager||The work of a Business Development Manager includes planning ideas to increase the sales of the business, goods and related services. He is also responsible for maintaining the relationship with the customers.||INR 6,42,000|
|Travel Trainer||The work of a Travel Trainer includes conducting training programmes for better understanding of the travel and operation ethics involved in business.||INR 5,00,000|
|Public Relations and Security Officer||The job of a Public Relations and Security Officer include management of the marketing and advertising aspects of the business.||INR 4,80,000|
Over the past years, the Master of Tourism and Travel Management course has become immensely popular among students. More and more students are pursuing this course. The course offers diverse career opportunities. This further affirms the immense popularity of the course among students. The most popular choices of education on completion of a MTTM degree are as follows.
- MPhil: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a MPhil Tourism. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a Master’s degree in Tourism.
- MBA: A large number of BA graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test.
- PhD: Candidates can also opt for a PhD in Tourism and Travel Management for better career options.
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to MTTM course are given below:
Ques. What is the full form of MTTM?
Ans. The full form of MTTM course is Master of Tourism and Travel Management.
Ques. What after MTTM program?
Ans. After pursuing MTTM program, you can opt for jobs as a Travel Trainer, Business Development Manager, Travel Agent, Travel Managers etc. or you can also opt for higher studies in the same field.
Ques. What are the admission criteria for admission to MTTM course in Indian colleges/ universities?
Ans. Admission to this course will be done either on the basis of candidate’s performance in entrance exam conducted by the admission authorities or on the basis of candidate’s performance in the qualifying examination i.e. Bachelor’s degree exams.
Ques. Where can I pursue MTTM course in India?
Ans. Some of the top universities and institutes offering MTTM course in India are provided in the table below:
Ques. Is MTTM a good career option?
Ans. Yes; MTTM is a good career option and promises students a sound career in this field. One can become a Travel Agent, Business Development Manager, Operations Manager on completion of this program.
Ques. What is the average fee to pursue MTTM program from Indian Colleges/ Universities?
Ans. The average course fee to pursue MTTM course in India ranges between INR 13,000 and INR 2,55,000.
Ques. What is the duration of MTTM course?
Ans. The duration of this course is 2 years.
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility criteria to apply to MTTM program in Indian Colleges/ Universities?
Ans. In order to be considered eligible to apply to this course, candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Tourism and Travel Management or equivalent from a recognized university.