MPhil Psychology or Master of Philosophy in Psychology is a postgraduate course. The duration of MPhil Psychology is mostly 1-2 academic years, but it may vary as per the rules and regulations of different institutions. It is a job-oriented course where students are encouraged to engage in research and participate in internships and other activities.
Check the full list of Top Psychology Colleges in India.
Candidates must have a minimum qualification of master’s degree or an equivalent degree in the stream of arts or science by a recognized university to be eligible for MPhil Psychology They should score an average of 55% in their master’s degree.
Admission to MPhil Psychology course is based on the performance of students in an entrance exam conducted by colleges or universities. The most common entrance exam is the RAT (Research Aptitude Test). Along with entrance exam scores, the marks obtained by the candidates in the Postgraduate level will also be taken into account.
The average fee for this course ranges between INR 2,000 to INR 2,00,000. The tabulation below is the list of Top MPhil Psychology colleges in India.
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||Name of College||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|9||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||Entrance Based||INR 3,000||INR 6,50,000|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi||Entrance Based||INR 1,100||INR 4,80,000|
|13||Bharathiar University||Coimbatore||Entrance Based||INR 9,400||INR 4,20,000|
|22||University of Madras||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 5,060||INR 3,21,805|
|54||Calicut University||Calicut||Entrance Based||INR 6,575||INR 4,20,000|
MPhil Psychology includes topics such as Social Influences, Human Behaviour and Mental Development, Child Development, Dream Interpretation, Diagnosis of Mental Health, Addictions and Personality Disorders. The case studies are also included in the course which provides knowledge, skills and hands-on experience needed to understand the topic properly.
Professionals with MPhil Psychology have high demand in areas like Private Practices, Hospitals, Schools, Market Research Companies, Defense Forces, Consulting Firms, etc. Some of the professionals work independently as Scientists, Physicians, Managers, Policymakers.
The average salary of MPhil Psychology for these graduates ranges between INR 2,00,000 to INR 15,00,000 per annum, increasing with expertise in this field.
The students willing to study further can opt for PhD Psychology after completing their MPhil in Psychology.
MPhil Psychology Admission Process
The admission process generally varies from college to college. Most of the institutes offer admission to students based on their performance in a relevant entrance test. College Application forms for admission are available both offline and online.
There are a few institutes which conduct their own entrance tests for offering admission. Below are some of the universities that conduct MPhil Entrance Exams in India.
- Delhi University
- Jamia Millia Islamia
- Lovely Professional University
The stepwise admission process is discussed below.
- Step 1: Application: The admission application form can be collected from the college or you can apply online by going through the respective university’s official website.
- Step 2: Entrance Exam: The admission into the MPhil psychology course depends upon the merit of the entrance test. The candidates will have to qualify in the entrance exam to be eligible for this course.
- Step 3: Personal Interview and Document Verification: The candidates who have successfully qualified the entrance exam will be called for Personal Interview and Document Verification.
- Step 4: Enrollment: The candidates found eligible will be granted admission to the course.
MPhil Psychology Eligibility
- The minimum eligibility requirement is passing a Master's degree in Science, Arts, etc.
- Students ought to score a minimum of 55% marks in the subject chosen for the MPhil course or a relevant subject at the postgraduate level to be considered eligible for the course.
- A written test may be conducted to assess the candidate’s knowledge. Candidates who are qualified in the written test will be eligible to appear in an interview.
MPhil Psychology Entrance Exams
Universities like the University of Delhi, Lovely Professional University, Jamia Millia Islamia University conduct their own entrance tests for the selection of students.
Listed below are some of the popular MPhil Psychology entrance exams:
- LPUNEST Entrance Exam: LPUNEST is the entrance examination of Lovely Professional University. The exam is conducted for admission into multiple programs, including a Master of Philosophy in Psychology programs.
- JMI Entrance Exam: Jamia Millia Islamia University conducts its entrance exam for admission into the MPhil Psychology program annually.
- DU Entrance Exam: The University of Delhi also conducts entrance exams for admission into MPhil Psychology programs.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|LPUNEST||Lovely Professional University||February 06 – May 19, 2020 (Extended till July 31, 2020)||Till July 31, 2020||Online|
|JMI Entrance Exam||Jamia Millia Islamia||February 21 – June 30, 2020||Aug 2020||Online|
|DU Entrance Exam||Delhi University||June 03 – June 17, 2020||To be Announced||Online|
How to Prepare for an MPhil Psychology Entrance Exams?
The syllabus for MPhil Psychology entrance exams will vary from college to college. Preparation of MPhil Psychology relies on universities/institutions. They follow the different patterns and the distribution of numbers is also different but the syllabus is the same.
Some points that are useful while preparing for MPhil Psychology entrance exams are:
- It is very important to understand the syllabus to do the effort in the right direction.
- The candidates must be thorough with all the important topics of the subjects up to the PG level.
- Make sure that your notes must be according to last year's entrance. You may use last year's question paper to understand the syllabus.
- Practice through MCQs is also very important along with the Theory clarification for MPhil Psychology Entrance Examination.
- Try to solve analytical questions within a limited period of time, as you will have to solve these questions very quickly in the entrance exam.
- Any psychology course books from the previous year also constitute a good study material for these exams.
How to Get Admission in a Good MPhil Psychology College?
To get admission in top MPhil Psychology colleges, the following points must be kept in mind.
- The performance in the qualifying exams is the basic selection procedure followed by a personal interview in which the panel will judge your interests and skills.
- Try to score as much as you can in the entrance exam. Try to attempt at least 70% of the total question paper correctly.
- The candidate should start working on a personal interview round after checking that they are eligible to apply for the MPhil Psychology program.
- The candidates should have a proper understanding of the topic so that they can impress the interview panel during the PI round.
- Be ready with all the important application and registration dates to avoid last-minute chaos and delay.
MPhil Psychology: What Is It About?
- MPhil Psychology is a research-based course that deals with all mind related science and behaviour. This study helps our society in recognizing and analyzing different people.
- The course includes theory classes on a regular basis along with some psychometric training which is aided with audio-visual equipment.
- MPhil Psychology program surrounds a huge range of studies including comprehension, emotions, attention, perception, intelligence, personality, relationships, behaviour, and even the subconscious.
- Regular seminars, journal club meetings, and case discussions are important parts of this course. Several institutes do conduct guest lectures based on clinical psychological topics among others.
- Skill training programs with sophisticated research facilities are provided to have a better understanding.
- In theory, candidates learn about the psychological foundation of behaviour and psychopathology, Psychiatry, Biological Foundations of Behavior, Behavioral medicine, psychotherapy, and many more.
MPhil Psychology: Course Highlights
Some of the most important aspects of MPhil Psychology course are tabulated in the table below.
|Full-Form||Master of Philosophy (Psychology)|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree with 55% from a recognized institute|
|Admission process||Merit-based/ Entrance Examination|
|Average Course Fee||INR 2,000 – 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 – 15,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||Spectrum healthcare resources, Children’s national, Bay Cove Human Services, Pulse Recruitment, BetaTech Inc., etc.|
|Job Profiles||Child psychologist, Psychologist, Psychology consultant, Health educator, Rehabilitation specialist|
|Areas of Employment||Youth guidance centres, Defense forces, Media / TV Channels, Rehabilitation centres, Welfare organizations, Hospitals, Community mental health care, Colleges or universities, etc.|
Why Study MPhil Psychology?
- This degree course enables the students to go for various psychology and teaching related jobs.
- They can be employed in the National Health Service local councils, and multinational organizations are all major employers of psychology graduates.
- It gives a good basis to the applicants for higher degree programs in respective subjects such as PhD etc.
- There are various high profile MPhil Psychology job opportunities on completion of a master's degree in Psychology both in India and abroad.
- They can select their career path in areas such as Youth guidance centres, Defense forces, Media / TV Channels, Rehabilitation centres, Welfare organizations, Hospitals, Community mental health care, Colleges or universities, etc.
- MPhil Psychology consists of basic topics such as social influences, history, and human development but also it can provide specific knowledge in recognized areas, such as child development, dream interpretation, diagnosis, addictions, and personality disorders.
MPhil Psychology vs MPhil Clinical Psychology
MPhil Psychology is a degree emphasizing the science of behaviour and mental processes. MPhil Clinical Psychology degree deals with candidates to have skills like communication, information technology, handling of data and statistics, problem-solving, and the ability to work in teams. Both these postgraduate degrees have the following differences between them:
|Parameters||MPhil Psychology||MPhil Clinical Psychology|
|Full-Form||Master of Philosophy in Psychology||Master of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology|
|Overview||This course deals with all the topics and sub-branches of Psychology which includes Clinical Psychology along with the other topics like Addiction, Behavioural Science, etc.||This is a specialized course concentrating only in one sub-branch of Philosophy, the Clinical Psychology. It includes topics like Mental Illness, Behavioural Disorders, Phobias, Depression, etc.|
|Duration||1-2 years||1-2 years|
|Eligibility||Master’s in any stream with a minimum of 55% from a recognized institute||MA/ M.Sc. in psychology from a recognized institute|
|Admission Process||Merit-based / Entrance Exam||Merit-based / Entrance Exam|
|Average Fees||INR 2,000 - 2,00,000||INR 2,000 – 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 – 15,00,000||INR 2,00,000 – 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||Spectrum healthcare resources, Children’s national, Bay Cove Human Services, Pulse Recruitment, BetaTech Inc., etc.||Grow India, Homecare India, Clearway Advisors, Pulse Community Healthcare, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Child psychologist, Psychologist, Psychology consultant, Health educator, Rehabilitation specialist, etc.||Clinical Psychology Teacher, Clinical psychologist, Clinical Manager, Clinical Data Analyst, Psychologist, Counselling officer, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Youth guidance centres, Defense forces, Media / TV Channels, Rehabilitation centres, Welfare organizations, Hospitals, Community mental health care, Colleges or universities, etc.||Social Services, Prisons, Government Hospitals, Psychiatric Centers, Clinics and Health Centers, Research Institutes & Medical Colleges, Community Mental Health Centers, etc.|
Source: College Websites
Also, check the full list of top MPhil Clinical Psychology Colleges in India.
MPhil Psychology Top Colleges
Almost all the top Universities in India offer an MPhil in Psychology. The tabulation below shows the best MPhil Psychology colleges and universities that offer the course:
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||Name of College||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|9||Savitribai Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 3,000||INR 6,50,000|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi||INR 8,300||INR 4,80,000|
|13||Bharathiar University||Coimbatore||INR 9,400||INR 4,30,000|
|22||University of Madras||Chennai||INR 5,060||INR 3,21,805|
|54||Calicut University||Calicut||INR 6,575||INR 4,20,000|
|65||Mumbai University||Mumbai||INR 10,943||INR 3,20,000|
|76||Maharshi Dayanand University||Rohtak||INR 3,948||INR 4,96,200|
|99||Kurukshetra University||Kurukshetra||INR 21,697||INR 3,50,000|
|101-150||Annamalai University||Chidambaram||INR 22,100||INR 8,53,600|
|150-200||Christ University||Bangalore||INR 60,000||INR 6,85,000|
Source: College Websites and NIRF Database
MPhil Psychology College Comparison
The tabulation below shows the comparison made among the three top MPhil Psychology colleges in India.
|Parameter||Jamia Millia Islamia||Bharathiar University||IIT Hyderabad|
|Overview||Jamia Millia Islamia is a central university in New Delhi, established in 1920 provides several disciplines, MPhil Psychology is one of the programs offered by this university.||Bharathiar University is a state university in Coimbatore, established in 1982. One of the largest and most popular institutes, MPhil Psychology is one of the degrees that attracts many candidates each year.||IIT Hyderabad is a public technical and research university, established in 2008, it has students from around the country. Their M.Phil Psychology program is highly ranked among other bachelors of education programs.|
|Ranking||NIRF Rank: 10||NIRF Rank: 13||NIRF Rank: 17|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 8,300||INR 9,400||INR 35,200|
|Average Placement Offered||INR 4,80,000||INR 4,30,000||INR 9,00,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Accenture, Byju's, Hindustan Times Digital, TCS, Adobe Systems, Indian Navy, HSBC Technology, among others.||Infosys Technologies Ltd, ITC, BPL Telecom, Oracle Corporation, Citicorp, Reliance Infocomm, Spencers, Coffee Day, Deltagram, Jet Airways, etc.||Goldman Sachs, Jaguar Land Rover, Microsoft, Eaton, BNY Mellon, Bajaj Auto & TSMC, etc.|
Source: College Websites
MPhil Psychology Syllabus
MPhil Psychology Syllabus is almost the same in all the colleges. The table below shows common subjects that are included in the structured MPhil Psychology syllabus and subjects included in it:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Statistics||Research methodology B|
|Research methodology A||Psychological testing B|
|Philosophy of research||Psychological foundations of behaviour B|
|Qualitative research methods||Understanding psychological problems B|
|Psychological testing A||Psychiatry B|
|Psychological foundations of behaviour A||-|
|Understanding psychological problems A||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Biological foundation of mental health||Community mental health|
|Psychotherapy and counselling||Biological foundations of mental health|
|Behavioural medicine||Research dissertation|
MPhil Psychology Books
Tabulated below are some of the MPhil Psychology books that can help students to have a broader and better understanding of the course. The books mentioned below will also help the students in cracking various MPhil Psychology exams.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Social Psychology||Baron Robert|
|Statistical Methods||S. P. Gupta|
|Research Methodology Methods and Techniques||C. R. Kothari|
|Statistics (Theory and Practice)||B. N. Gupta|
MPhil Psychology Job Prospects and Career Options
- These candidates can get a job in universities, private industries, clinics, hospitals, etc.
- They also have an option in government agencies working for social welfare. They can assist the doctors of Psychology that are Psychologists.
- They can work in Health care centres, rehabilitation centres, Child/ Youth Guidance Centers, Research establishment centres, and many more.
- If their interest and financial conditions allow, they can start their own consultancy firm.
- Because of the increasing demand in the field of mental health centres, all the health care centres, hospitals, social health services, and schools will lead to the growth of employment in the psychology sector.
- Aspirants who have successfully completed their training in psychology can make their mark and pursue a career as a psychologist in diverse fields.
The following table shows some of the major areas where you can find employment after pursuing MPhil Psychology degree:
|Job profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Rehabilitation Specialist||They are responsible for creating, developing, and coordinating the needs of the people with their services. They are also responsible for helping people to find ways to live as actively and independently in their life as possible. These specialists help in mental retardation, physical injuries, disabilities, or mental health problems.||INR 4,00,000|
|Psychology Consultant||They are totally focused on enhancing their companies or organizations based on their research applications of psychology principles. They create reports based on research data; they evaluate data and access other workers, and organize new testing and training developments. They work with management to solve the major issues that occur in their workplace through reorganization.||INR 8,00,000|
|Psychologist||They are in charge of fostering personal health and positive mental health for the people. They undergo some research that helps them to understand behaviour and mental health disorders. Psychologists also nurture good mental health, safety, and understanding through experimentation and counselling.||INR 4,15,000|
|Health Educator||Health educators are involved in developing and implementing health strategies to improve the health of individuals. They also collect information and discuss health concerns with individuals or communities. Health Educators collect and analyze data to learn about their audience and improve programs and services. They also evaluate the effectiveness of educational materials.||INR 3,50,000|
|Child Psychologist||These professionals are responsible for understanding the emotions, behaviour, and feelings of the child to deal with their problems. There are a few main problems are psychological, depression, and personal from turbulent past experiences. They are uniquely equipped to deal with these problems of substance abuse and emotional development.||INR 3,60,000|
Some of the popular employment areas for MPhil Psychology postgraduates are:
- Youth Guidance Centers
- Welfare Organizations
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Community Mental Health Centers
- Defence Forces
- Correctional Programs
- Media and TV Channels
MPhil Psychology Future Scope
The MPhil Psychology Post-graduation has vast applications in all walks of life like work, family, relationships, sports, industries, and organizational spaces. After completion of the course of MPhil Psychology, candidates get a lot of understanding of the human mind and behaviour.
- This imparted knowledge will help them to enter into professional areas including but not limited to forensic psychology, counselling psychology, clinical psychology, and organizational/industrial psychology.
- One can go for Counseling Psychologists who helps clients deal with personal and interpersonal problems that they face in daily life
- Thus, there are a lot of opportunities open for students after they complete this course. Some of the major profiles are Psychology Consultant, Associate Professor, Rehabilitation Specialist, Community Relations Officer, Health Educator, etc.
- The students willing to study further can opt for a PhD course in Psychology after completing their MPhil in Psychology.
- The students will be able to conduct more advanced level research in the field of Psychology during the PhD course.
Check the full list of Top PhD Psychology Colleges in India.
MPhil Psychology FAQs
Ques. Is there any entrance exam for MPhil Psychology?
Ans. Admission and Selection in the MPhil Psychology courses occur through either Merit or Entrance Exams. There are a few colleges that conduct entrance tests, followed by a Personal Interview.
Ques. How much is the salary after the M.Phil Psychology course?
Ans. The average starting salary ranges from INR 2,00,000 - 15,00,000 depending on the skill and expertise of the candidates.
Ques. Which are the top colleges for M.Phil Psychology?
Ans. The top institutes and colleges for MPhil Psychology are Presidency College Chennai, Bharathiar University Coimbatore, University of Madras Chennai, IIT Hyderabad, Utkal University Bhubaneswar, among others.
Ques. Which job profiles are available for the MPhil Psychology graduates?
Ans. Students of MPhil Psychology can work as Child Psychologists, Psychologist, Psychology Consultant, Health Educator, Rehabilitation Specialist, etc.
Ques. What is the scope after the M.Phil Psychology degree?
Ans. Students can choose for higher education like they can pursue higher education like PhD Or there are a lot of opportunities open for students after they complete this course. Some of the major profiles are Psychologist, Psychology consultant, Health educator, Rehabilitation specialist, etc.
Ques. What are the areas of employment after the M.Phil Psychology degree?
Ans. After this degree, there are diverse fields where students can get into Youth guidance centres, Defense forces, Media / TV Channels, Rehabilitation centres, Welfare organizations, Hospitals, Community mental health care, Colleges or universities, etc.