PhD in Bioinformatics is a semester-based doctorate course in Bioinformatics. The course may have a duration of 3 to 5 years. This course offers research opportunities to the students in the field of Computational Biology and Bioinformatics.
At the end of the course, the students will have to submit their research papers on various topics related to Bioinformatics. Check the full list of Bioinformatics colleges in India.
To be eligible for the PhD in Bioinformatics course, you need to have a postgraduate degree in Biotechnology/Bioinformatics. Some colleges also consider candidates with a bachelor’s degree in Biotechnology or Bioinformatics who have enormous research experience.
Most of the reputed colleges demand for a minimum 50% marks in the bachelor's/Master's level to be eligible for this course.
For securing admission to the course, the candidates will have to appear for an entrance test followed by a personal interview. The candidates who perform well in the interview will be able to take admission to the college. Some of the most popular PhD entrance exams in India are UGC-NET, UGC-CSIR-NET, etc.
Bioinformatics is taught in several top colleges in India. Here we have enlisted some of the colleges/ universities offering a PhD in Bioinformatics.
|NIRF 2020 Rank||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fee||Average Salary|
|32||Amity University, Noida||Entrance test||INR 1,00,000||INR 4.5 LPA|
|43||International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad||Entrance test||INR 1,50,000||INR 21 LPA|
|65||Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal||Entrance test||INR 38,600||INR 6 LPA|
|80||Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, Coimbatore||Entrance test||INR 76,000||INR 4 LPA|
|84||Chandigarh University, Chandigarh||Entrance test||INR 85,000||INR 5.96 LPA|
The average tuition fee charged for the PhD in Bioinformatics course is INR 40,000 to INR 3,00,000, depending on the institute.
Some of the important research areas covered under this course include Biostatistics, Genomics, Protein Database, Scientific Writing, etc.
The PhD in Bioinformatics students have diverse career options. The candidates are mostly hired for the post of Bioinformatics Trainee, Professor, Technology Manager, etc. The PhD in Bioinformatics students may seek jobs in the government sectors as well. The average salary offered to the candidates is INR 3 lakh to INR 15 lakh per annum.
After completing this course, candidates may go for further research and then earn a DSc degree in the relevant field.
PhD in Bioinformatics Admission Process
- The admission is done either based on the marks acquired by the candidates in the entrance exam or on their performance in their master degree course.
- In some cases, a personal interview may also take place.
- Some of the most common entrance tests for the PhD in Bioinformatics students are GATE, BINC (Bioinformatics National Certification Examination) and NET UGC.
- The application forms for entrance to the PhD courses are released in the month of May or June.
- The shortlisted candidates are either called for admission or they have to sit for the entrance test.
- All details related to the admission process can be found on the official website of the respective universities.
Read about the admission process of IIIT Hyderabad in detail.
- Step 1: Fill the application form: Once you have finalised the colleges, you will have to fill up the application form. The application forms will have to be submitted before the deadline.
- Step 2: Admission to the college: The candidates will be shortlisted based on their performance in their master's degree course. The marks requirement may vary from college to college.
- Step 1: Fill the application form: The first step of the admission process is filling up the application form. Once you have successfully submitted the application form, you may proceed with the further steps of the admission process.
- Step 2: Appear for the entrance test: Most of the universities accept students based on the marks scored by them in the entrance test. The cut-off for the entrance test is determined by the college authorities.
- Step 3: Appear for an interview (optional): Some colleges also conduct a personal interview. The candidates will be shortlisted based on their performance in the interview.
- Step 4: Admission to the college: The final stage of the admission process is getting admitted to the college. For that, they need to submit all the required documents and pay the admission charges.
PhD in Bioinformatics Eligibility
There are a few eligibility criteria that the students must fulfill if they wish to be a part of this course. Here, we have listed some of the most important eligibility criteria:
- The candidate must complete his masters in Science, Mathematics, Biotechnology or Bioinformatics from a recognized university.
- The candidates must have at least 50% marks in their post-graduation and graduation. The SC/ ST/ OBC/ PwD candidates may get certain relaxation.
- If the college conducts an admission test, the candidates must also clear the entrance test and perform well in the personal interview.
PhD in Bioinformatics Entrance Exams
- There are a number of top institutes in India which conduct an entrance test followed by an interview for admission to the various PhD courses.
- The dates of the entrance test are released after the candidates have submitted their application forms.
- The exam dates for the present year have, however, been postponed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- The latest updates regarding the dates of the entrance tests are yet to be released.
Here we have mentioned some of the most common entrance tests for the PhD Bioinformatics course:
- UGC NET Exam 2020: The UGC National Eligibility Test (NET) is conducted in various parts of the country for admission to the various PhD institutes. The examination is held in online mode and the total duration of the test is 3 hours.
- GATE 2020: GATE or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering is the admission test for graduate engineering candidates. The examination is conducted for the MTech and PhD candidates.
- UGC CSIR NET 2020: Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – National Eligibility Test is the entrance examination for the post of Junior Research Fellowship post. The test is conducted twice every year in pen and paper mode.
- BINC 2020: Bioinformatics National Certification Examination is the examination conducted by the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India for admission to the various Bioinformatics-related courses in the country. The test is held in two parts.
- DTU PhD Entrance Test 2020: The Delhi Technical University Entrance Exam is held every year for the applicants who wish to pursue a PhD in various fields. The examination may be followed by a round of interviews.
|Entrance Test||Conducting Body||Mode of Examination||Total Time||Date of Application||Date of Examination|
|UGC NET 2020||NTA||Online||3 hours||April 2020||June 15-20, 2020|
|GATE 2021||IIT Council||Online||3 hours||September 2020 (Tentatively)||February 2021 (Tentatively)|
|UGC CSIR NET 2020||NTA||Offline||3 hours||March 16 - June 30, 2020||After July 2020. (Postponed due to COVID-19)|
|DTU PhD Entrance Test 2020||DTU||Offline||3 hours||June 24 - July 20, 2020||August 12 and 13, 2020|
How to prepare for the PhD in Bioinformatics entrance exam?
In order to secure a really good score in your PhD in Bioinformatics entrance test, you need to be really well-prepared. So, here are a few preparation tips for you which will help you to ace your examination:
- Get to know everything you can about the format of the examination and the question paper. If it is a subjective test, then you need to read through the chapters properly. However, if the exam is MCQ-based, concentrate on the minute details.
- Study the syllabus properly. Make sure that you do not leave out any important chapters. Try to complete the entire syllabus at least one month before the date of the examination.
- Give more importance to the sections from where questions are frequently asked in the examination. Revise those sections properly before the day of the examination.
- Prepare a definite strategy and abide by it. Planning and scheduling are extremely important for securing a good rank in the examination.
- Practice different types of questions from sample papers and previous years’ question papers. Here are a few links to the previous year’s question papers and the sample papers that might help you out in your preparations.
- Always take notes while you study. This will ensure that you do not forget any important point. You can just go through your notes before your examination and you will feel confident about yourself.
- Also, always try to maintain a positive attitude. Be enthusiastic and don’t overstress yourself. This will increase your confidence and will also boost up your concentration level.
How to get admission in a good college?
There are several things that you need to keep in mind if you wish to get admitted to a really good college. These are a few important tips that you must keep in mind if you wish to be a part of a really good college:
- Having a higher GPA or a very good percentage in your post-graduation will help you to get admitted to a college of your choice.
- Be well-prepared for the entrance test. This will ensure that you are able to clear the cut-off and proceed with the further stages of the admission process.
- If your university conducts an interview, you must present yourself in the best possible way. Be prepared with the questions that you might face during the interview.
- The application form should be filled up carefully. There should be no mistake. Also, submit the application form within the deadline.
- Keep an eye on the official website of the University for regular updates regarding the admission process.
- Get to know what people have got to say about your college. Check the placement scenario. Read through the reviews and ratings. This will help you to know the quality of education offered by your college.
Read more on Top PhD colleges in India.
PhD in Bioinformatics: What is it About?
Bioinformatics is a very popular discipline in the field of science and technology. Let us know what the course is about.
- Bioinformatics deals with the proper storage of biological data so that the data can be retrieved as and when required. Such data include nucleic acids, protein sequences, genetic information, etc.
- Bioinformatics is basically a field of science that includes mathematics, computer science, statistics, and engineering for a proper understanding of biological information. The subject plays a crucial role in biomedical research.
- The course will help students to know about different biological data and ways to organize it systematically. The students will also get to develop their own bioinformatics tools for carrying out various operations.
- In order to pursue a PhD in Bioinformatics, the candidates need to have excellent knowledge of computers and technology. They must also possess good analytical and communication skills.
PhD in Bioinformatics Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the PhD in Bioinformatics course has been provided in the table given below.
|Full-form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Bioinformatics|
|Eligibility||Postgraduate degree in Maths, Science, Biotechnology or Bioinformatics|
|Admission Process||Direct Admission or on the basis of Entrance test.|
|Course Fee||INR 40,000 to INR 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA - INR 15 LPA|
|Job Positions||Professor, Bioinformatics Trainee, Medical Coder, Associate Research Scientists, Bioinformatics Analyst, Clinical Bioinformatician, Applications Scientist, Software Development Scientists, Domain Expert and many more.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges & Universities, Medical Research Centres, Agriculture Sector, Pharmaceutical Industry, Research Centres, etc.|
|Top Companies||Wipro, Reliance, Ocimumbio, Jubilant Biosys, Tata Consultancy Services, IBM Life Sciences, Accelrys, BioMed Informatics|
Why Study a PhD in Bioinformatics?
A PhD in Bioinformatics course provides numerous options to the students to build their career and become successful in life. Here we have brought before you a few reasons regarding why you should pursue a PhD in Bioinformatics course:
- After completing the course, the candidates will be able to pursue research in various fields. The course gives the students a strong understanding of the functions of various other departments like Marketing and Business Development.
- The PhD in Bioinformatics students will be exposed to various career opportunities. They may work at various government and private sector health organizations, educational institutes, cancer research centres, etc.
- The students may work as research scientists at various research labs. They may discover new techniques for managing and retrieving data.
- The students, after successfully completing their PhD in Bioinformatics may earn a salary of 3 LPA -15 LPA. Your salary depends on your expertise and also your job position. Your salary will increase gradually.
PhD in Bioinformatics vs PhD in Biotechnology
There are quite a few courses that have a similarity in the course curriculum with the PhD in Bioinformatics course. Here we have compared the PhD in Bioinformatics and PhD in Biotechnology course.
|Parameters||PhD in Bioinformatics||PhD in Biotechnology|
|Qualification||Doctor of Philosophy in Bioinformatics||Doctor of Philosophy in Biotechnology|
|Course Overview||PhD in Bioinformatics deals with the various techniques involved in storing and retrieving biological information like Genetic Interactions, Protein Sequence, etc.||PhD in Biotechnology includes a number of information topics like stem cell generation, pharmacology, forensics, cancer research, immunology, food science, etc.|
|Eligibility||Post-graduation in Maths, Science, Biotech or Bioinformatics||Post-graduation in Biotechnology|
|Admission Process||Direct admission or Entrance test||Direct admission or Entrance test.|
|Average Fee||INR 40,000 to INR 3,00,000||INR 50,000 to 4,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 LPA to INR 15 LPA||INR 4 LPA to INR 20 LPA|
|Colleges||Amity University, Noida, International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad, Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal, Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, Coimbatore||Mount Carmel College, Bangalore, Shiv Nadar University, Greater Noida, St. Xaviers College, Kolkata, Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad|
|Recruitment sectors||Colleges and Universities, Agriculture Sector, Medical Research Centres, Pharmaceutical Industry, Research Centres, etc.||Drug Manufacturing Companies, Blood Services, Public Health Entities, Industrial Laboratories, Research Departments, Environmental Pollution Control, Educational Institutes, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Bioinformatics Trainee, Associate Research Scientists, Researchers, Professors, etc.||Biomedical scientist, Analytical chemist, Healthcare scientist, Clinical research associate, Clinical biotechnologist, Scientific laboratory technician, etc.|
Also, check the full list of top Biotechnology Colleges in India.
Source: College Websites
PhD in Bioinformatics Top Colleges
PhD in Bioinformatics is taught at a number of top institutes in India. Here, we have mentioned some of the most sought-after PhD in Bioinformatics Colleges of India:
|NIRF 2020 Rank||College Name||City||Average First-Year Fee||Average Salary|
|32||Amity University||Noida||INR 1,00,000||INR 4.5 LPA|
|43||International Institute of Information Technology||Hyderabad||INR 1,50,000||INR 21 LPA|
|65||Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology||Bhopal||INR 38,600||INR 6 LPA|
|80||Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences||Coimbatore||INR 76,000||INR 4 LPA|
|84||Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 85,000||INR 5.96 LPA|
|87||Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 95,200||INR 3-5 LPA|
|103||International Institute of Information Technology||Allahabad||INR 71,700||INR 15.5 LPA|
|115||Jaypee University of Information Technology||Solan||INR 50,000||INR 3.25 LPA|
|201||VELS Institute of Science, Technology & Advanced Studies||Chennai||INR 50,000||INR 5 LPA|
Source: College Websites
Out of all the top PhD in bioinformatics institutes, here we have drawn a comparison between the 3 top colleges based on various factors.
|College Name||Amity University, Noida||International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad||Chandigarh University, University|
|Overview||Amity University is one of the most popular private universities in India. It was established in 1986. The institute is known for its excellent infrastructure and a wide variety of course options.||IIIT, Hyderabad is an autonomous institute established in 1998. The college offers 2 bachelor degree courses, 4 master degree courses and a number of PhD courses in various specializations.||Chandigarh University is a private university which has a total of 16 departments. It is one of the best universities in the country in terms of placement.|
|Average Fees (1st year)||INR 1,00,000||INR 1,50,000||INR 85,000|
|Eligibility||Minimum of 55% marks in Masters||Minimum of 50% marks in Masters||Minimum of 55% marks in Masters|
|Admission Process||Entrance test and interview||Entrance test and interview||Entrance test and interview|
|Average CTC||INR 4.5 LPA||INR 21 LPA||INR 5.96 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Company||Amazon, Flipkart, Samsung, Google, Microsoft, Accenture.||Adobe, Uber, Amazon, Nvidia, Google||Zomato, Amazon, Microsoft, Cognizant, Flipkart.|
Source: College Websites
PhD in Bioinformatics Syllabus
The syllabus for PhD in Bioinformatics is mostly the same for most universities. Given below are few of the important topics and subtopics covered in the course duration.
|Basic Concepts of Computer||Concept of Computer Hardware, Software, and Computer Languages|
|Biostatistics||Probability distribution, Measure of Central Tendency and Dispersion, Binomial Distribution, Poisson Distribution, and Normal Distribution.|
|Quantitative Techniques||Regression and Correlation, Level of Significance, Use of Computers in Quantitative analysis|
|Scientific Writing||Definition and Kind of scientific documents, submission of manuscripts, oral and poster presentation of a research paper, ordering reprints|
|Techniques in Molecular Biology||Identification of DNA, RNA, and Plasmids|
|Research Techniques||Cell extraction techniques, Ultrafiltration, Paper Chromatography, etc|
|Genomics||Genes, Human Genome Project, Polymerase, Enzymes, Nuclease, etc.|
|Protein Databases||Protein sequence databases, different formats of databases, composite databases, etc.|
Important Books for PhD in Bioinformatics course
Books are the most crucial part of any important course. If you wish to know a subject well, you must know which are the best books for that subject. Here are some of the most important books for the PhD in Bioinformatics candidates:
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Statistical Methods in Bioinformatics||Warren J. Ewens and Gregory R. Grant|
|Practical Bioinformatics||Michael Agostino|
|The R Book||Michael J. Cawley|
|Bioinformatics and Computational Biology in Drug Discovery and Development||William T. Loging|
PhD in Bioinformatics Job Prospects and Career Options
- The career prospects for the PhD in Bioinformatics course has gradually been increasing because of the latest use of technology in the management of biological data.
- The candidates may work in various sectors like educational institutes, hospitals, biomedical organizations, research institutions, etc.
- They may also conduct research activities in Bioinformatics.
- The candidates can work in both governments as well as private hospitals.
- They can also teach at government and private schools.
Some of the most common job profiles for the PhD in Bioinformatics students are discussed below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Bioinformatics Software Developers||They work on various bioinformatics software development projects.||INR 9,00,000|
|Associate Research Scientists||They conduct research activities in various fields related to Bioinformatics.||INR 15,00,000|
|Professors||They teach at various government and private institutes. Their subject depends on their area of expertise.||INR 2,50,000|
|Medical Coders||They work in clinics and hospitals. They obtain accurate healthcare reimbursement claims.||INR 2,36,801|
|Bioinformatics Trainees||They develop mathematical models for understanding trends in biological data.||INR 1,08,000|
|Clinical Bioinformaticians||They develop new methods and techniques for storing, retrieving and analysing of biological data.||INR 2,00,000|
Salary Trends Graph
Here, we have shown the salary trends of the job profiles for the PhD in Bioinformatics candidates:
PhD in Bioinformatics Future Scope
The PhD in Bioinformatics students have a very prosperous future. The students have a lot of career options to choose from.
- PhD in Bioinformatics students may teach in private or government schools and colleges. They may also become a part of the government and private hospitals.
- The candidates pursue research in various fields related to bioinformatics. They may work at research labs in India or abroad.
- Some of the most common job profiles for PhD in Bioinformatics students are research scientist, professor, Bioinformatics Trainees, Clinical Bioinformaticians, Medical Coders, etc.
- If the candidates wish to go for further study, then they can go for a DSc degree in relevant disciplines. But, to be eligible for DSc, the candidates will have to do further research even after completing their PhD.
Check the full list of top DSc Colleges in India.
Ques. Are there any lucrative career paths related to the field of bioinformatics?
Ans. Yes, there are loads of career paths available for you. You may opt for an academic career. You can become a part of healthcare organizations, research institutes, pharmaceutical industries, and so on.
Ques. How many years will it take to complete my PhD in Bioinformatics?
Ans. It takes around 3-5 years to complete your PhD in Bioinformatics course.
Ques. Is it possible to study bioinformatics after graduating in computer science?
Ans. Yes, it is quite possible for the candidates to go for a Bioinformatics course after completing their graduation in Computer Science.
Ques. Is an entrance test necessary for admission to the PhD in Bioinformatics course?
Ans. Few universities conduct an entrance test followed by an interview. Some of the common entrance tests include UGC NET, GATE, UGC CSIR NET, etc.
Ques. What are some best PhD colleges in India for Bioinformatics??
Ans. Some of the top colleges/ universities are:
- Amity University, Noida
- International Institute of Information Technology, Hyderabad
- Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
- Karunya Institute of Technology and Sciences, Coimbatore
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for a PhD in Bioinformatics course?
Ans. The candidates need to have a postgraduate degree in Maths, Science, Bioinformatics or BioTech.
Ques. What are the popular job profiles for the PhD in Bioinformatics students?
Ans. Common job profiles are Professors, Medical Coders, Bioinformatics Trainees, Clinical Bioinformaticians and many more.
Ques. What is the average tuition fee for the PhD in Bioinformatics students?
Ans. The average tuition fee is between INR 40,000 to INR 3,00,000.
Ques. Does AIIMS provide a PhD program in Bioinformatics?
Ans. Yes, AIIMS does provide a PhD course in Bioinformatics. However, you need to sit for an entrance test.
Ques. What should be the expected annual salary of a PhD in Bioinformatics candidates?
Ans. Your expected salary should be around 3 LPA to 15 LPA
Ques. Has the dates for the admission process to the PhD in Bioinformatics course been postponed?
Ans. Yes, all admission dates have been postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.