PhD or Doctor of Philosophy in English Literature is a doctorate level course spread over a span of minimum 3 years and maximum 5 years. This course is ideal for students who are interested in studying literature written in English language.
The course includes studying literature from different time periods, exploring the language, its history and a scope to add something of your own to the language.
The candidates who have completed their master’s degree in English language with minimum 55% of marks are eligible to apply for this course.
Admission to PhD English Literature programme is generally entrance based followed by personal interview. However, some colleges may accept admission on merit basis also.
Some of the top colleges/ universities which offer PHD in English Literature are given below:
|NIRF Rankings 2020||Name of Institute||Admission Process||Average Fees (INR)|
|4||IIT Kanpur||Entrance based||INR 26,000|
|5||Presidency College, Chennai||Entrance based||INR 13,000|
|6||Loyola College, Chennai||Entrance based||INR 6000|
|19||Andhra University||Entrance based||INR 15,000|
|-||English and Foreign Language University, Hyderabad||Entrance based||INR 9,000|
The average fee charged by colleges or universities for this course varies from INR 30,000 to 1.3 Lakhs. The fee is subject to vary as per the type of the institution.
The average starting salary that a PhD English Literature degree holder can earn ranges between INR 4.5 to 6 Lakhs. The salary offered is directly proportional to the experience earned in the field. The salary increases with an increase in the experience in the field.
PhD English Literature professionals find jobs as a English Professor, English Teacher, Editor, Journalist, Critic Writer, Technical Writer, Public Relation Officer, Translator, etc. Some top recruiting areas for such professionals are Media Houses, Education Institutions, Publishing Houses, Translation Houses, etc.
PhD English Literature Admission Process
The admission to PhD in English Literature course is generally on the basis of entrance test which is followed by a personal interview round conducted at the university or the college. However, some colleges or universities may offer admission on a merit basis.
Some colleges also ask for M.Phil as a requirement for PhD admissions. In such cases, selected candidates will be required to appear for only a personal interview round.
Merit Based admission process
- Candidates need to apply at the official website of the college/university they want to take admission in.
- They need to fill the application form and submit the required documents.
- After successful registration, colleges release their merit list of selected candidates.
- In case of some colleges or universities, selected candidates may be required to go through a personal interview round.
- Selection in this case is done on the basis of performance in the personal interview round.
Entrance Based admission process
- It is advisable for candidates to visit the official website of the college or university they want to apply in to check whether they meet the eligibility criteria and what entrance test is required for admission.
- Then, candidates must register themselves for the entrance test on the official website of the conducting body.
- Those candidates who clear the cut off of entrance examination are then called for a personal interview round.
- Final selection is made on the basis of performance in the Personal Interview round.
|IIT Kanpur Admission||Presidency College Chennai Admission|
|Loyola College Admission||Andhra University Admission|
PhD English Literature Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who wish to apply for a PhD English Literature programme must meet the eligibility criteria mentioned below. The general eligibility criteria is:
- Candidates must have completed their Master’s degree in English language with minimum 55% marks from a recognised University.
- There may be a relaxation of 5% marks for reserved category students.
- Candidates need to have valid marks in the entrance examination as required by the college or university.
- In some colleges, M.Phil is a prerequisite for PhD English Literature admission. In Such cases, selected candidates will be required to appear only for a personal interview round.
- The eligibility criteria may vary from college to college.
PhD English Literature Entrance Exams
The widely accepted entrance exam for PhD English Literature admissions is the UGC NET exam. However, some universities or colleges may conduct their own entrance examinations for PHD admissions at their own level.
- UGC NET: National Eligibility Test (NET) is conducted by University Grants Commission of India (UGC). There are two sections in this examination consisting of 50 and 100 multiple choice questions respectively. The total duration of the exam is 180 minutes. It is conducted twice a year, once in June and once in December.
- GATE: GATE examination is jointly conducted by IISC and 7 IITs. A valid score in GATE is considered as a basis by IITs for PHD Admissions. It is a 180 minute examination that consists of MCQs and NAT.
- JNUEE: It is a national level entrance examination conducted by NTA for M.Phil/ PhD admissions.
- DUET: It is conducted by NTA for admission in PHD courses in Delhi University. It is a 2 hour examination.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date (Tentative)||Mode of Exam|
|UGC NET Exam 2020||March 16, 2020- June 30, 2020.||In the month of July||Online|
|GATE 2020||August 31, 2019- October 5, 2019||In the month of February||Online|
|JNUEE||March 2, 2020- June 30, 2020||In the month of July(Postponed)||Online|
|DUET 2020||June 20,2020- July 4, 2020||In the month of July(Postponed)||Online|
How to prepare for the entrance exams?
- The exam for PhD English Literature consists of syllabus of English only except for GATE. GATE consists of questions from the science section.
- Important areas of study are – romantic period, Victorian period, Modern period, Contemporary period, Modern British Literature, Indian writing in English, History of Indian language and all those topics that you have studied during graduation and post graduation.
- Divide the syllabus into your strong and weak areas.
- Prepare flowcharts, use different color pens to memorize stuff.
- Practice previous year question papers and revise.
How to get admission in a good college?
Given below are some tips to secure admission in a good PhD English Literature College.
- The first thing to keep in mind is to secure good marks in master’s degree.
- Next, candidates should be fully aware about the entrance examinations, their application procedure, important dates, syllabus, exam pattern etc.
- Prepare well for entrance examinations by practising and revising concepts. Also prepare by attempting previous year examination papers and mock tests.
- Be updated about current affairs and prepare well for the personal interview round.
PhD English Literature: What is it About?
- PhD English Literature is a doctorate Level course. The course involves a high intellect and interest in English subject. The course involves the study of English language and literature from all the parts of the world, their origin, their analysis etc.
- The students have to go study about different areas of literature – british literature, roman literature, American literature etc.
- The students are required to attend classes and conduct research under professors.
- The students have to appear for examinations and present a thesis on their research work towards the end of the course.
- Students get to learn about different aspects of English language, their usage and a chance to add something of their own to the language.
PhD English Literature: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Doctorate Level|
|Full Form||Doctor of Philosophy in English Literature|
|Examination Type||Semester/Annual as per college norms.|
|Eligibility||Masters degree in English Language with minimum 55% marks|
|Admission Process||Merit based or entrance based|
|Course Fees (INR)||INR 10,000 to INR 1,30,000|
|Average Salary (INR)||INR 4.5 to 6 Lakhs|
|Recruiting Companies||Media Houses, Education Institutions, Publishing Houses, Translation Houses, etc.|
|Job Positions||English Professor, English Teacher, Editor, Journalist, Critic Writer, Technical Writer, Public Relation Officer, Translator|
Why study PhD English Literature?
- PhD English Literature is a desirable course for those who are interested in studying about the rich history of the language and want to learn about different types of English literature.
- The course also helps you in developing various skills- research skills, analytical skills, verbal and written communication skills.
- There are a number of job opportunities available for candidates in both government and private sectors such as in media houses, print agencies, educational institutions etc.
- Candidates can work as Professors in colleges, editor in various companies, content creators, write their own books or novels etc.
PhD English Literature vs PhD English
Also check Top PhD English colleges in India
PhD English Literature and PhD English are two similar looking courses. But their prospects are different. PhD English Literature deals with the literature written in english language while PhD English deals with the language itself. A detailed comparison between these two courses based on various parameters is given below.
|Parameters||PhD English Literature||PhD English|
|Course Duration||2 to 5 years||2 to 5 years|
|Overview||It is a doctorate level course and deals with research in English literature from all around the world. The main objective of the course includes researching about the literature written in English language||It is a doctorate level course which deals with English language, its grammar and other aspects. It includes performing extensive research about English, it’s origin and how it has evolved over the past years.|
|Eligibility||The candidates who have completed their master’s degree in English language with minimum 55% of marks are eligible to apply for this course.||The candidates who have completed their master’s degree in English language with minimum 55% of marks are eligible to apply for this course.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by Personal Interview||Entrance exam followed by Personal Interview|
|Examination Type||Semester/Annual as per college norms||Semester or yearly|
|Average Fees (INR)||INR 10000- 1.3 Lakhs||INR 50,000 - 3 Lakhs|
|Average Salary (INR)||INR 4.5 to 6 Lakhs||INR 4 to 8 Lakhs|
|Top Colleges||Presidency College, Mewar University, English and Foreign Language University||Lady Shri Ram College, Hindu College, Ramjas College, Gargi College|
|Job Roles||Critic, Journalist, Teacher, Writer, Translator||Senior Research and Development Manager, Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department,|
|Top recruiting areas||Media Houses, Education Institutes, Publishing Houses||Advertising Industry, Translation Agencies, Communication Industry|
PhD English Literature Top Colleges
Given below are details of some top colleges and universities offering PhD English Literature.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||Location||Average Fees (INR)|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology||Bombay||INR 26,000|
|5||Presidency College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 10,000|
|6||Loyola College, Chennai||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 6,000|
|19||Andhra University||Andhra Pradesh||INR 15,000|
|-||Delhi University||Delhi||INR 9000|
|-||Mewar University||Chittorgarh, Rajasthan||INR 60,000|
|-||English and Foreign Language University||Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh||INR 9000|
|-||Islamic University of Science and Technology||Pulwama, Jammu and Kashmir||INR 10,000|
|-||Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam||Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh||INR 42,000|
PhD English Literature College Comparison
Sometimes selecting between two colleges can be a daunting task. Hence to ease the process, a comparison between two of the top colleges offering PhD English Literature is given below.
|Parameters||English and Foreign Language University||Mewar University|
|Overview||EFLU was founded in 1958 as the Central Institute of English. It has 7 schools and 26 departments.The University is specially set up to conduct research and training in teaching education,literature, linguistics etc.||It is an Autonomous, private and self financed University built to develop a centre of learning and research at par with international standards. The University offers all types of courses- engineering, management, polytechnic, arts etc.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance based followed by personal interview||Entrance based followed by personal interview|
|Average Fees (INR)||INR 9,000||INR 60,000|
|Average salary offered||INR 6 to 7 Lakhs||INR 4 to 5 Lakhs|
PhD English Literature Distance Education
Several colleges and universities offer the option of distance learning and part-time PhD option for PhD English Literature courses. These options are suitable for those candidates who are either working professionals or are pursuing some other course of study.
- The eligibility for these courses are also similar- candidates are required to have a minimum of 55% marks in master degree in English language.
- Admission to these courses may be merit based or entrance based as per college or university norms.
- Some of the colleges offering PhD English Literature in distance mode or as part time courses are Kerala University, Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam,Mewar University, Amity University, etc.
PhD English Literature Syllabus
Since PhD English Literature consists of theory, research work and writing theories, so there is no predefined syllabus. Some of the areas of interest around which the course may revolve are mentioned below in the table:
|S.No.||Subject of Study|
|4.||Literary Criticism and Theory|
|6.||Literature in the twentieth Century|
|8.||Colonial and Post-Colonial Literature|
|10.||Lesbians, Gay and Bisexual Literature|
PhD English Literature Books
Some of the books which can be read by PhD English Literature students are given below in the table.
|Name of the book||Author|
|Mansfield Park||Jane Austen|
|Several Poems||Anne Bradstreet|
|Little Women||Louisa May Alcott|
|Shadow Lines||Amitav Ghosh|
|Midnight’s Children||Salman Rushdie|
PhD English Literature Job Prospects and Career Options
- After completion of a PhD English Literature, candidates usually look for a job in educational institutions.
- However, there are several job roles available for candidates which they can pursue after completing their PhD.
- Job opportunities are available in numerous media houses, publishing houses, Translation houses, data centres, etc. Jobs in these workplaces are available in both government and private sectors.
Some of the job roles offered to PhD English Literature students are given below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary (INR)|
|Professor||They teach students studying at UG or PG level and ensure that they learn the language properly. They can teach English or Drama to students. Many of the teachers conduct research alongside teaching the students.||INR 6 Lakhs|
|Editor||Editors may work in print houses, media houses or publishing houses. Their task is to go check the content written by junior writers and edit and modify it according to the needs.||INR 5.53 Lakhs|
|Journalist/ Correspondents||These people work with news or media agencies. Their task is to collect, write, present or distribute the news in a creative way.||INR 4.79 Lakhs|
|Reporter||A reporter usually works with news channels. He is the person who visits different locations and does reporting.||INR 5 Lakhs|
|Critic||Critics are those people who present an assessment of various art forms. There are movie critics, literature critics, fashion critics, food critics etc.||INR 4 Lakhs|
Given below is a graph representing various job roles offered to PHD in English Literature students and the average salary offered to them:
PhD English Literature Future Scope
- There are a lot of career opportunities available for candidates who wish to pursue PhD English Literature.
- Job opportunities are available for candidates in both government and private sectors They can work in media houses, publishing houses, educational institutions, print agencies etc.
- Job roles offered are of Editors, Journalists, critic writers, professor, school teachers, public relation officers etc. The starting salary offered to PhD English Literature lies between the range of INR 4.5 to 6 Lakhs.
- Candidates can also write their own books, novels or stories or can write for museums or arts galleries. They can also work as lexicographers which means they will have an opportunity to write, compile or edit a dictionary.
- They also have an option to work in the public sector in English speaking countries because they have excellent spoken and written communication skills and because of their ability to research and analyze.
PhD English Literature: FAQs
Ques. What does PhD stand for in PhD English Literature?
Ans: PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy in PhD English Literature.
Ques. How long does it take to get a PhD English Literature?
Ans: It takes 3 to 5 years to complete PhD English Literature.
Ques. Does a PhD English Literature lead to an increase in Salary as an editor?
Ans: Yes, if you hold a PhD English Literature degree, it will definitely give you a higher salary than what you will be earning with a master's degree in English language.
Ques. What are the areas of study in PhD English Literature?
Ans: The areas of study of PhD English Literature are- American literature, colonial and post colonial literature, African-American Literature, Eighteenth century literature etc.
Ques. Do PhD English Literature students get a stipend?
Ans: Yes, generally the students studying PhD English Literature get stipend. The amount of stipend however, depends upon the institute or university they are pursuing it from.
Ques. What is the scope of PhD English Literature?
Ans: As a PhD English Literature professional you can work as Professor in colleges or universities. Moreover, you can also work as an editor, critic, writer, literary agent, journalist etc.
Ques. What is the difference between M.Phil in English Literature and PhD English Literature?
Ans: In M.Phil in English Literature, candidates will be required to interpret and critically analyze and already completed research work while in PhD English Literature, candidates have to conduct their own research work and present a thesis on the same. Both of the courses have their own implications and it is upto your interest which of them you want to pursue.
Ques. Can I do a direct PhD English Literature after completing my MA?
Ans: To pursue PhD English Literature, you have to appear for the entrance examination after completing your MA. Entrance examination will be further followed by a personal interview, if selected.
Ques. Can I work as a Journalist after completing a PhD English Literature?
Ans: Yes, you can find a number of jobs as a Journalist after completing your PhD English Literature in various news and media agencies.
Ques. What minimum marks are required to pursue PhD English Literature?
Ans: Candidates aspiring to do PhD English Literature should have a minimum of 55% marks MA in English.