What is PhD Arts?
A PhD Arts is a 3-year doctorate course which has been designed in a manner to have a specialization in either Humanities subjects like Psychology, History, Journalism, or Performing Arts like Music or on Visual Arts like Video, Animation and Filmmaking.
Check out the Top Colleges for PhD Arts.
Students who have received a Master’s or equivalent Degree with a minimum of 55% aggregate in the relevant field are eligible for PhD Arts course.
The admission process is by merit or by entrance exam and this may vary from college to college. The students will also have to go through a personal interview round where they will be asked questions about their research proposal.
The average fees for a PhD Arts course will be around INR 24,000 - INR 1,50,000. Many top colleges in India provide this course, some of which are listed in the table below.
|India Today Ranking 2019||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|7||Loyola College||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 10,000 - 30,000|
|8||Christ University||Bangalore||Entrance Based||INR 50,000|
|5||Madras Christian College||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 10,000 - 50,000|
|17||Women's Christian College||Chennai||Entrance Based||INR 27,830|
|24||KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce||Mumbai||Entrance Based||INR 6,000|
The subjects taught in this course will vary according to specialisation. The most common subjects include Indian History, Indian Culture and Heritage, Human Psychology and Behaviour, etc.
A student who has completed a Phd has career opportunities in Colleges as well as in sectors where they can work as Professor, Lecturer, Teachers, Therapist, Performer, etc. according to his/her specialisation.
After completing a PhD Arts course, the candidates can expect an average annual salary of around INR 3,00,000. The highest annual salary of around INR 11,00,000 can be expected.
After completing this course, some people do further research work and publish their own research papers. They can get awarded with a DLit degree for their contribution in the Arts sector.
What is the Admission Process to PhD Arts Course?
Most of the universities follow the system of an entrance exam, few of the colleges might have a round of personal interview also. Few colleges allow admission through a merit basis. The general admission process is discussed below.
- Most of the colleges take in candidates who have a good score in UGC recognized entrance exams, or National Level tests like UGC-NET, UGC-CSIR-NET, DBT (JRF), ICMR, etc.
- In the cases of merit-based admission, once the application is processed, the result is usually declared based on the marks scored in the qualifying exams.
- In the case of entrance exams, admission is based on the candidate’s performance in the entrance exam. This is calculated on completion of the entrance exam.
- In both the cases, there will be a personal interview round for final selection. In this round, the candidate will have to describe his research proposal to the panel. If the panel gets satisfied, then the candidate will be granted admission to the course.
Who is Eligible to Study PhD Arts?
- The applicant should have graduated with a master’s degree or equivalent in the relevant field from a recognized college or university.
- The applicant should have graduated with a minimum of 55% in aggregate.
- The applicant must qualify in the national or university level entrance exams to get eligible for the course.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for PhD Arts Course?
Some of the major entrance exams for admission to PhD Arts course are discussed below.
- UGC NET: It is conducted in the month of June for admission. This exam is conducted for admission to UGC recognized universities for Phd.
- IIS RET: The exam is usually conducted in the month of September. The topics are similar to the UGC NET exam so one should refer to the syllabus of UGC NET while preparing for the exam.
- Savitribai Phule Pune University Entrance exam: The exam is usually conducted in the month of August. This exam is conducted for admission to Savitribai Phule Pune University. The syllabus is usually related to arts like history of art, different theories, etc.
- Mangalayatan University Entrance exam: The exam is usually conducted in the month of December for admission to Mangalayatan University. It has questions related to arts mainly on portions that you covered in your masters.
|Exam||Conducting Body||Application Date||Date of Entrance Exam||Mode of writing|
|UGC NET||NTA||March 16 to June 30, 2020||Postponed||Online|
|IIS RET||IISU||Till June 17, 2020||July 20, 2020||Offline|
|Savitribai Phule Pune University Exam||Savitribai Phule Pune University||May 25 2020 to June 30, 2020||July 7, 2020||Offline/Online|
How to Prepare for the Entrance Exams?
The syllabus of the exams are similar to the UGC Net:
- The exams are usually online exams so practice online mock exams
- The syllabus is usually the sub-subjects that comes under the major discipline that the candidate have chosen so revise what you have studying in your masters
- Most of the exams usually have a personal interview round also so prepare for it by asking someone to conduct mock interviews on you.
Some important points to keep in mind while preparing for the entrance exams are discussed below:
- Study the syllabus provided thoroughly as well as the exam pattern.
- Make notes while studying. These can help up with last-minute quick revisions.
- Focus on your weak subjects and allocate more time to them.
- Study from the recommended books of UGC- Net as this will help in preparation for other exams also.
- If previous years question papers are available, then it is good to solve them as it will build up your confidence. While solving the previous papers, keep in mind that there are negative marks so attempt accordingly.
Check the latest Exam Pattern of UGC NET exam.
How to Get Admission in a Good PhD Arts College?
- Study at least 4 hours every day and try to complete the syllabus given.
- Keep a track of all the news updates of the colleges that you want to apply to.
- In case of any doubt with regards to admission, call the management, and get updated information.
- Keep solving past question papers and model papers.
- Strategize on how you will attempt the paper based on your strong and weak points.
- Ensure you have followed all the admission requirements correctly.
PhD Arts: What is it About?
A PhD Arts is a doctoral degree that gives the students advanced skills required to advance in the career of their choice of Arts and Humanities.
- One would be required to submit a dissertation based on the research area that one chose to do the thesis, at the end of the course.
- Students will gain an in-depth understanding of various art forms, the process, the history, etc, depending on the specialisation they choose.
- This course is perfect for those who are creative and passionate about art.
- This course covers all the areas of the chosen specialisation in complete detail. Some of the specialisations available include Visual Arts, Music, History, English Literature, Psychology, etc.
- After completing this course, the candidates can become teachers and researchers in colleges, universities and research institutions.
PhD Arts Course Highlights
The major highlights of the PhD Arts course are tabulated in the table below.
|Full-Form||Doctoral degree in Arts|
|Examination Type||Semester/Year wise|
|Eligibility||Maters or M.Phil. in the relevant subject.|
|Admission process||Entrance based|
|Course fees||From INR 15,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Art galleries, Colleges, Boutiques, Fashion Houses, Textile Industry|
|Job position||Researcher, Art Consultant, Art therapist, Sculptor|
Why should One Study PhD Arts?
- It opens many doors for you both in academics as well as in business as you would have knowledge in both fields.
- The arts field is a creativity oriented field and having a PhD will give you an edge over other competitors as it would sharpen your skills.
- It will also give you respect in society as you will be involved in the creative line of work and people would respect your ideas as you are a part of many innovative ideas.
- It is a good choice if you are passionate about art and research work.
- It also gives you a chance to do something different as most of these options are choices that are non-conventional career choices in nature.
- Since the job opportunities would be varied and different, the salary packages offered are sizably decent.
- In the future, you could also take a double PhD if you want to continue to study.
PhD Arts vs PhD Fine Arts
Sometimes many people get confused between PhD Arts and PhD Fine Arts, but these two are very different courses. Here, we have compared these two courses on the basis of Overview, Duration, Eligibility, Admission Process, etc.
|Parameters||PhD Arts||PhD Fine Arts|
|Overview||This course involves the study of the complete Arts stream and all its specialisations like History, English Literature, Political Science, etc. It also involves Visual Arts and Music.||This course involves the study of various artworks and art forms like mosaic, ceramics, different types of paintings, antique artworks, craftsmanship, stc.|
|Duration||3-5 years||3-5 years|
|Eligibility||Master degree with minimum 55% marks.||Master degree in relevant discipline|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam followed by interview||Entrance exam followed by interview|
|Top Colleges||Loyola College, Christ University, Madras Christian College.||Amity School of Fine Arts, Lucknow University, LPU.|
|Average Fees||INR 24,000 - INR 1,50,000||INR 10,000 - INR 2,75,000|
|Job Roles||Professor, Lecturer, Teachers, Therapist, Performer, etc. according to his/her specialisation.||Painters, Designers, Interior Decorator, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 - INR 11,00,000||INR 3,00,000 - INR 10,00,000|
Source: College Websites
PhD Arts Specializations
There are various PhD Arts specializations that are provided to help candidates to specialize in the area of their choice. Some of these specializations are:
PhD Visual Art: PhD Visual Arts course aims to equip students to create pieces that mainly utilize the visual environment.
|Average Fees||INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
PhD Psychology: PhD Psychology course includes advanced level research on human behaviour and psychological disorders.
|Average Fees||INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000 to INR 10,00,000|
PhD History: PhD History course includes a detailed study of all forms of history, ancient, contemporary and modern. It focuses on both Indian History and World History.
|Average Fees||INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
PhD English Literature: PhD English Literature course involves the study of English Literature, major writer, and history of some major literature works.
|Average Fees||INR 10,000 to INR 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to INR 6,00,000|
Top Colleges for PhD Arts
These are the few top colleges in India that offer this program.
|India Today Ranking 2019||College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees|
|7||Loyola College||Chennai||INR 10,000 - 30,000|
|8||Christ University||Bangalore||INR 50,000|
|5||Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 10,000 - INR 50,000|
|12||Mithibai College of Arts||Mumbai||INR 5,000 to INR 50,000|
|17||Women's Christian College||Chennai||INR 27,830|
|24||KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce||Mumbai||INR 6,000|
|25||St. Xavier’s College||Ahmedabad||NA|
|30||Kishinchand Chellaram College||Mumbai||NA|
|38||Ramnarain Ruia Autonomous College||Mumbai||NA|
|51||Maharani Lakshmi Ammanni College for Women||Bangalore||INR 10,000 to INR 30,000|
Source: College Websites
College Comparison for PhD Arts
A comparison between the best colleges offering PhD Arts in India
|Parameters||Christ University||Women's Christian College||KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce|
|Overview||It is a deemed university located in Bangalore. It was started in 1969 as an autonomous college. It has five campuses, three in Bangalore, one in Ghaziabad and one in Pune. It offers UG, PG and PhD level courses in Science, Engineering, Arts, Commerce and other streams.||Women's Christian College is a Catholic college in Chennai especially for women. It offers UG, PG and PhD courses in Science, Arts and Commerce streams.||This college comes under the bracket of KJ Somaiya group of institutions. It is especially dedicated to Arts and Commerce subjects. It offers many courses in these two streams across undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level.|
|India Today 2019 Rank||8||17||24|
|Eligibility||Master Degree with minimum 60% marks||Master degree with minimum 55% marks||Master degree with minimum 55% marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Fees||INR 50,000||INR 27,830||INR 6,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6,85,000||INR 2,40,000||INR 2,75,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Deloitte, KPMG, Ernst and Young, Accenture, etc.||Accenture, Amazon, Axis Bank, Capgemini, etc.||Wipro, HDFC, Kotak, etc.|
Source: College Websites
What are the Subjects Taught in PhD Arts course?
Though the actual syllabus depends on the specialisation, here we have given a combined syllabus of all the major specialisations and the most important subjects covered in them.
|Year I||Year II|
|Indian History: Ancient, Medieval and Modern||History of Photography|
|Indian Culture and its Heritage||Socio-economic Aspects of Medieval India|
|Research Methodology||Prose Fiction|
|Data Collection and Survey Methods||Women's Literature|
|Colonial Literature||Literature in the Twentieth Century|
|Political Philosophy||Indian Administration|
|Political History||Psychological Process|
|Development of Human Behaviour||Psychological Methods|
|History of Indian Music|
|The World History|
|Advanced Research on Psychological Disorders|
|International Economics: Theories and Policies|
|The Art of Thesis Writing|
|Research Idea and Viva - Voce|
Which are the Important Books for PhD Arts?
The following books are very important for the PhD Arts candidates which will help them to carry on their research work properly.
|Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists||Sharon Louden|
|Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity||David Lynch|
|Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking||David Bayles & Ted Orland|
|Creative Block||Danielle Krysa|
What are the Jobs Available for PhD Arts Candidates?
Students who have completed PhD Arts will get jobs in Colleges as well as in both Public and Private sectors. They can work in the Advertising companies, Boutiques, Art Studios, Theatres, Fashion Houses, Animation and Textile Industry.
Some of the important job profiles for such candidates are given in the table below.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Art Therapist||A person who works in improving the mental health of adults and children by using different forms of art.||INR 2,80,000|
|Gallery Manager||A person who is in charge of organizing exhibits and the selling of art pieces.||INR 3,00,000|
|Researcher||A person who researches a particular field about a particular topic and tries to find solutions on the same.||INR 4,00,000|
|Journalist||The candidate tries to find out the latest updates on all the happenings around the world and reveal them either in print media or in Electronics media.||INR 3,50,000 to INR 7,00,000|
|Writer||The candidate writes something new. It can either be fictional or non fictional literature work. They can also work as academic writers and write study materials and books.||INR 3,50,000 to 5,00,000|
|Historian||The person who studies every aspects of history in great detail and try to present it in a new aspect in his own publications.||INR 3,50,000 to INR 6,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes After PhD Arts?
The degree helps you to work closely with the fine art of your choice. It provides you with an opportunity to do something creative and innovative as well as offer you respect in society. It helps you to do something unconventional and remain different from the rest.
- You can work as an Art Therapist, Gallery Manager, Designer, etc.
- You can set up your boutique showcasing your masterpieces of creativity as well as by encouraging new talent by holding art exhibitions.
- You can work independently as an artist like being a sculptor, painter, film actor, etc, and contribute to society creatively and innovatively.
- You can work in Universities as an Arts Professor or Assistant researcher by being impressionable on young minds.
PhD in Arts has various and wide career options which therefore makes it easier for you to choose based on the area of preference. You can also go for higher studies.
PhD Arts FAQs
Ques. Is there an entrance exam for PhD in Arts?
Ans. Yes, you will have to write an entrance exam to be enrolled in a PhD in Arts.
Ques. Which exams should I apply to get admission for this course?
Ans. You can write the UGC NET, CET, etc. and most of the colleges have their own exams also, but you will have to check if you are eligible to write them.
Ques. What are the average annual fees that would be required to complete the degree?
Ans. The average fees would range between INR 24,000 to INR 1,50,000.
Ques. What is the duration of the course?
Ans. The duration of the course is 2-3 years, but some colleges offer a maximum time period of 6 years to complete the course.
Ques. What are the career options after doing a PhD in Visual Arts?
Ans. Photojournalist, Screenwriter, Film director, Actor, Graphic designer, Art therapist, etc.
Ques. Is studying this course a good choice?
Ans. Yes, especially if you are passionate about art and want to make your mark in the field of arts. Plus it opens doors for you both in academics as well as in Business.
Ques. How expensive is this course?
Ans. No, the course is not that expensive as the average annual fees range between INR 20,000 to 2 lakhs.
Ques. Why don't people choose a career in performing arts?
Ans. Mainly due to the misconception that the salary is low.
Ques. What is the average salary that can be expected?
Ans. An average salary of around 2-5 lakhs can be expected.