PhD International Relations is a 5 years long Doctorate level research based degree course. This course is designed for preparing students who wish to make their career as Diplomats in future. Some of the topics covered in this course include International Trade, International Relation Dynamics, Epistemology, etc.
Check out the top PhD International Relations Colleges in India.
The eligibility criterion for getting admission in this course is Postgraduate degree or MPhil degree in relevant discipline. Most of the colleges ask for a minimum 55% aggregate marks at the PG level as eligibility criteria for this course.
The admission in this programme is mostly on the basis of marks obtained in the Entrance Exam. Whereas some Colleges and Institutes also grant admission based on applicant’s score in PG level. It’s generally a full-time programme; however, students can also pursue distance education from some Institute that offers the same.
Some of the major research areas covered in this course are Advanced Theory of International Relations, Peace & Conflict Studies, Feminist International Relations, Global Security Governance, International Political Economy, International Law in Theory and Practice, among others.
Some of the top PhD. colleges in India offering this course are listed in the table below.
|Outlook India Rank (2019)||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|10||Jadavpur University||Kolkata||Entrance Test + Interview||INR 8000||INR 19,96,000|
|11||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Manipal||Entrance Test||INR 19,667||INR 5,00,000|
|55||Mahatma Gandhi University||Kottayam||Based on Written Aptitude Test (WAT)||INR 25,467||INR 1,20,000|
|66||Amity University||Noida and Jaipur||PET Entrance Test||INR 1,00,000 (may differ with places)||INR 3,00,000|
|87||Shiv Nadar University||Greater Noida||Entrance Test conducted by University + Interview||INR 1,35,000||INR 7,50,000|
The average fee of a PhD International Relations programme ranges from INR 11,000 to INR 2,40,000. However, there may be variation in the course fees as per the location as well as University type.
Go through the full list of PhD Entrance Exams in India.
After completing PhD International Relations, students can make their career in the fields of Diplomacy, News Industry, Writing, Research, Political Analysis, Blogging, Teaching and so on. Any fresher can expect a salary between INR 5,00,000 - INR 8,00,000 per annum.
The average salary provided to individuals who are working as International Relation Experts is INR 4,00,000 to INR 6,00,000 while the average salary of a Researcher is between INR 3,00,000 - 5,00,000. The opportunities are many in this field that can take the candidate to the heights of success.
PhD International Relations Admission Process
There are many Colleges and Universities that conduct their own Entrance Test for this programme. It’s important for an applicant to qualify examinations so as to become eligible for this course. Follow the below-given steps for getting admission in PhD (International relations) College/ Institute:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the College/University/Institute and register yourself.
- Step 2: Go through all the instructions and guidelines carefully before proceeding with anything.
- Step 3: Fill all the basic details properly that are required to mention in application form.
- Step 4: Apply for Entrance Exams (if that college requires).
- Step 5: Upload the required documents carefully, submit the form and keep the print out with you for future reference.
- Step 6: After the announcement of entrance exam results, the candidates will be called for a Personal Interview round. The candidates who will pass this round will be granted admission to the course.
PhD International Relations Eligibility Criteria
In order to become eligible for this course the candidate must fulfil the below-given criteria:
- The applicant must have passed PG or M. Phil exam and must have scored minimum 55% marks
- In case of Reserved Category, the candidate must have scored minimum 45% marks in order to become eligible for the course
- There are many colleges that take admissions only on the basis of the Entrance Test. The candidate needs to get a valid score to get admission in that particular college or University.
PhD International Relations Entrance Exams
There are many colleges that select students based on their performance in the Entrance Exam. Some Entrance Exams for PhD International Relations are given below that applicants can check:
- SIU PET: Symbiosis International University conducts PET for candidates who wish to get admission in PhD courses. The University conducts this exam once in an academic year.
- WAT 2020: MGU conducts Written Aptitude Test and candidates will be selected based on performance in WAT.
- Amity University PET 2020: Amity University conducts PET Entrance Test for those who want to apply for this course.
- MAHE PhD Test 2020: Manipal Academy of Higher Education conducts MET test for PhD programmes.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|UGC-NET 2020||NTA||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|SIU PET||Symbiosis International University||June 21- July 10, 2020||July 25, 2020||Online|
|MGU WAT||Mahatma Gandhi University||April 2021||Not announced yet||Online|
|Amity University PET||Amity University||July 15, 2020 (Noida Campus)||Yet not announced||Offline|
|MAHE PhD 2020||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||June 30, 2020||July 26, 2020 (All India) August 2, 2020 (Only at Manipal)||Online|
How to Prepare for PhD International Relations Entrance Exams?
In the Entrance Exam for PhD, there will be two sections of questions. The types of questions are explained below:
Types of Questions Asked
- The complete Entrance Exam is of total 100 marks with duration of 2-3 hours.
- Question paper is generally divided into simple 2 parts: One part covers objective type questions and another part subjective sort of questions that are related to the concerned subject.
- Part A (General): This paper consists of research questions mainly of Numerical Ability, Logical Reasoning, Language Proficiency, General Awareness, Data Analysis etc.
- Part B (Subject Specific): This paper includes technical sort of questions related to disciplines.
Points to Remember While Attempting the Exam
There are few points that every candidate must remember while attempting the Entrance Exam. Let’s have a look at these!
- Go through the syllabus of the complete Entrance Exam and try to complete the course syllabus on time.
- Make it a habit of practicing previous year PhD question papers. Also, check the pattern of previous year papers. This will make you feel confident since you will come to know about the strong as well as weak points.
- Also, consult those students who are already doing PhD in concerned subjects as they can provide you with proper guidance.
- Assess your weak points as well as concentrate on the same by simply doing regular revision.
- Make revision notes since it will help you in revising the most important topics just before your examination day.
- Try to keep yourself updated on current affairs as well as latest news for general awarenesses.
Read more on UGC-NET Question Pattern and Marking Scheme.
How to Get Admission in Good College?
- There are many colleges in which admission is based on the basis of marks scored in the Entrance Exam. So, obtaining a good rank in the exam can help you in getting the best college of your dreams.
- You should put your full efforts in preparing for your entrance examinations.
- If you have some specific college in your mind, then ensure to apply in that college before the deadline.
- Practice previous year PhD question papers to polish your skills and to obtain a good rank in the Entrance Exam.
- Keep yourself updated with news as well as current affairs since it will help you in clearing Entrance Examination as well as Interview Round and Group Discussion.
PhD International Relations: What is it About?
The full form of PhD is Doctorate of Philosophy, a doctorate level programme . PhD International Relations course prepares applicants to make their career in teaching or profile of researchers at Universities as well as research Institutes, positions in private, public and government sectors.
- This program is based on a combination of coursework as well as research examining theory, essentials of conducting moral qualitative research.
- Applicants will study topics related to International Communication, Peace & Conflict Resolution, International Development, Global Politics, Economic Policy and Global Environmental Policy.
- After the completion of course, the candidate will be provided with many options that they can choose from.
- They can make their career in Diplomacy Field, News Industry, Writing, Research, Foreign Relation Analysis and so on. Candidates can earn a good salary package after the completion of their course.
- Candidates can reach the next higher level easily as nowadays the scope of this programme is quite high.
- If a candidate has an interest in doing research then this course will benefit them in every way.
- Capability to understand the latest ideas is a basic skill that is required to pursue PhD. Other skills required are excellent communication, the capability to express as well as organize concepts in better way
PhD International Relations Course Highlights
Tabulated below are few major highlights regarding the course that candidates can check:
|Course Level||Doctorate Level Course|
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy|
|Eligibility||PG or M. Phil with at least 55% marks from recognized University/ Institute|
|Admission Process||Merit & Entrance Based (Depends on College)|
|Course Fee||INR 11,000 - INR 2,40,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Job Positions||Researcher, Blogger, News Editor, Professor|
|Top Job Areas||Non Profit Organizations, International Organizations, Civil Services, Education|
Why Study PhD International Relations?
These days, majority of students are opting for PhD International Relations program because of below-given reasons:
- This programme is in much demand these days and provides ample job opportunities to candidates.
- This programme is an ideal choice for those who wish to make their profession in Foreign Services and those who wish to do some research or analysis.
- After completing this course, candidates can work not only in foreign services, but also find job opportunities in multiple sectors like Journalism and media, Corporate Houses, etc.
- After completing this programme, you can apply as a Foreign Service Officer, International Relation Expert, Researcher, News Editor and Professor.
- In case, if you wish to work later on in Abroad then, no doubt, this programme will take your career to the next higher level.
- In terms of salary, packages are quite high and anyone can earn good income by doing this course.
- The average salary package ranges between INR 5,00,000 to INR 8,00,000 per annum, which may further increase with experience.
PhD International Relations vs PhD Political Relations
Both are Doctoral Degrees but the career options are different in both of them. After completing PhD, candidates generally apply as Professors, Researchers and so on. The graduates generally prefer to remain in the business world. They might teach as Guest Professors too.
The comparison table between both courses is drawn below to understand the difference between the two so that you can easily make your decision.
|Parameters||PhD International Relations||PhD Political Science|
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in International Relations||Doctor of Philosophy in Political Science|
|Overview||PhD International Relations is a Doctorate level course in the political science area with main emphasis on International relations||PhD Political Science incorporates investigation of theory as well as practice of politics of political framework. It also covers the National and Worldwide political system, government policies, public affairs etc.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit/Entrance Based (depends on colleges/Universities)||Merit/Entrance Based (depends on colleges/Universities)|
|Examination Type||Semester Wise||Semester Wise|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 11,000 - 2,40,000||INR 10,000 - INR 2,00,000|
|Top Colleges||Amity University, South Asian University, Adamas University||University of Rajasthan, Amity University, Dayalbagh Educational Institute|
|Job Roles||Researcher, Writer, News Editor, Professor||High School Teacher, Campaign Manager, College Professor|
|Job Areas||Non Profit Organizations, International Organizations, Civil Services, Education||Government Offices, Public Utilities, Banking, Communications Industry etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 4,00,000 - INR 8,00,000||INR 2,00,000 - INR 10,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Also, check the full list of top PhD Political Science Colleges in India.
PhD International Relations Top Colleges
Many renowned universities in India provide PhD International Relations courses. Tabulated below are a few colleges for doing a PhD programme that candidates can check:
|NIRF Ranking (2020)||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees|
|5||Jadavpur University||Kolkata||INR 8,000|
|14||Manipal Academy of Higher Education||Karnataka||INR 19,667|
|26||Panjab University||Chandigarh||INR 56,800|
|37||Amity University||Noida||INR 1,00,000|
|61||Sikkim University||Gangtok||INR 14,730|
|101||Central University of Kerala||Kasaragod||INR 33,310|
Source: College Websites
PhD International Relations College Comparison
Tabulated below is the table that shows a comparison among three top PhD Universities in India on the basis of parameters like Overview, Location, Rankings, Fees and Salary.
|Parameters||Amity University||Panjab University||Jadavpur University|
|Overview||Amity University is one of the most reputed private universities in India which offers Undergraduate, Post Graduate and Doctoral Degree Programmes. It has campuses in Noida, Jaipur and Kolkata.||The Punjab University is a state owned university that offers Undergraduate, Post Graduate, Diploma, Research and Certificate Programmes. It was ranked 26 among top Universities in India by NIRF 2020 ranking survey.||Jadavpur University is a state owned university located in Kolkata that offers UnderGraduate, Post Graduate, Diploma and Certificate Programmes. It is considered as one of the best Universities for research based courses in India.|
|Location||Noida and Jaipur||Chandigarh||Kolkata|
|NIRF 2020 Rank||37||26||5|
|Average Fee per Year||INR 1,00,000 (different for different area wise Universities)||INR 56,800||INR 8,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,47,000||INR 6,41,000||INR 19,96,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Country Garden, KPMG, ZNA Infra etc.||HMEL, HCL Technologies, AMtek, Bechtel, etc.||TCS, CCS Infotech, NIIT Technologies, Aspire System etc.|
Source: College Websites
PhD International Relations Distance Education
There are a few colleges or Institutes that offer PhD International Relations in Distance Mode. This is an ideal choice for those candidates who don’t have enough time as well as resources.
- The cost of doing this programme in distance mode is quite cheaper than regular one.
- The students will be provided with study materials. They will have to appear in the term end examination in person.
- The minimum duration of the course varies between 4 years to 7 years.
|College Name||City||Minimum Duration||Average Annual Fees|
|Jindal School of International Affairs||Sonipat||4 years||INR 10,000|
PhD International International Relations Through Online Mode
- Many international universities offer PhD International Relations courses through online mode.
- The admission to this course is generally merit based but some universities may ask for entrance exams.
- The average fees for this course lies between INR 10,000 to INR 1,00,000, depending on the institute.
PhD International Relations in JNU
JNU School of International Studies offers PhD International Relations degree.
- JNU offers research opportunities in around 19 Specialisations of International Relations.
- The subjects covered include American Studies, Latin American Studies, African Studies, among others.
- The duration of the course ranges between 3 to 5 years.
- The fees for this course is nominal and ranges between INR 800 to INR 2,000 per year.
- The admission is granted on the basis of JNU PhD Entrance Exam followed by a personal interview.
PhD International Relations Syllabus
In PhD International Relations, candidates might enrol in courses which address problems like Social Construction, International Trade, Epistemology, Current Societies, International Relations Dynamics, Multivariate Statistics, etc.
The comprehensive description of this programme syllabus is given below that candidates can check to get the idea about the subjects:
|Advanced Research Methods||This course describes all the research methods to be opted in this course and acts as a guide for the first time researchers.|
|Advanced Theory of International Relations||This course discusses all the latest and advanced theories of International Relations and the candidates will have to study them in great detail.|
|Peace and Conflict Studies||This course involves many case studies of various conflicts around the world, how those conflicts impacted the peace of the world and how we can avoid those conflicts in future.|
|Feminist International Relations||Females have always been an important aspect of society. This course studies international relations from a female's point of view, describes their contribution in it and their demands from the international community.|
|Global Security Governance||International Relations is an important aspect of maintaining global peace. This course deals with the various aspects of a global peace process and its deep relationships with International Diplomacy in great detail.|
|International Political Economy||This course will let you know how globalization and forieng trade has impacted the economy worldwide.|
|International Law in Theory and Practice||All the important International Laws and the process of their implementation will be discussed in this course.|
|Foreign Policy of Major Powers||This course describes the process of drafting foreign policy and how the major world powers influence the world with their tightly knit foreign policies.|
PhD International Relations Job Prospects and Career Options
There are numerous options available to pass-outs after the completion of this course. Nowadays, many students are opting for this course just because there are many companies where they can get good job options. One can select to work as News Editor, Author, Blogger, International Relation Expert, Professor and many more.
Tabulated below are some job profiles that are associated with this degree:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|News Editor, Foreign Affairs||Editing news items that are related to International Concerns as well as Foreign Affairs. These journalists must have a strong hold in all the international laws and guidelines across the world.||INR 3,68,000|
|International Relation Expert||Task of discussing International Issues in television debates writing columns in International Relations and Happening around the world, and publishing quality articles on these topics in journals and online blogging sites.||INR 3,64,000|
|Professor||Teaching the subject of International Relations to UG and PG students at Colleges and Universities of India.||INR 3,32,000|
|Foreign Service Officer||Working at the secretarial level in Indian Embassies, Foreign Councils, Passport Offices, Visa department, and The External Affairs Ministry of Government of India.||INR 8,50,000|
|Researcher||Analysis as well as Research of trends in International Relations and discovering new hidden facts, describing them in publications.||INR 3,20,000|
The graph above depicts numerous PhD International Relations job profiles along with respective pay packages
PhD International Relations Future Scope
- After doing a PhD International Relations course, there are numerous options which the pass-outs can avail in many fields. This is a common course which nowadays is in huge demand.
- Few top recruiting areas are News Channels, Colleges, Research Sector, Universities, Diplomacy and so on. In short, a career in PhD International Relations, no doubt, is filled with ample job opportunities with varied subcategories.
- International Relations bring dynamic job opportunities for candidates eager to make their career in this field.
- If any candidate wishes to work outside India then this programme can take them to the next higher level.
- After the completion of course, one can work as a Political Analyst, Diplomat and Intelligence Specialist.
- One can also do many certification courses in foreign languages, foreign cultures, etc to future sharpen their skills in International Diplomacy.
PhD International Relations FAQs
Ques. What are the eligibility criteria of PhD?
Ans. In order to become eligible for this course, the candidate must have completed a Master's degree or M. Phil from a recognized college/ Institute. Also, they must have scored a minimum 55% marks and in case of Reserved Category 45% marks.
Ques. What career options are there after the completion of PhD International Relations?
Ans. Nowadays, PhD International Relations is quite common and there are ample career opportunities for students. Some of the job profiles are Researcher, News Editor, Professor, International Relation Expert etc.
Ques. What is the admission process of a PhD course?
Ans. The admission criteria is different for all colleges. Some Colleges or Universities take candidates on the basis of Merit while some based on Entrance Examinations.
Ques. What are the colleges that offer PhD International Relations Programme?
Ans. There are many colleges that provide PhD International Relations. Some of them are Amity University, MGU, Rajasthan University, University of Madras, Panjab University etc.
Ques. Is PhD International Relations a tough course?
Ans. Yes, it's tough but not impossible. It depends on how much interest a candidate has in a particular course. If you are interested in becoming a professor or have interest in doing some research then this course is for you.
Ques. Why should one go for this course?
Ans. The reason candidates must go for this course is because it can provide you with better job opportunities, high salary packages, better career growth, and so on.
Ques. What is the job role of News Editor?
Ans. If a candidate gets the opportunity of News editor after the completion of this course then they will be responsible for editing the news items that are related to International Concerns as well as Foreign Affairs.
Ques. After the completion of the course, how’s the job scope for an average student?
Ans. There are many job opportunities for candidates. It doesn't matter whether they are a topper or an average candidate. It's important for a candidate to spend some time in finding out their interest area. One can choose either government or private job. Even can plan to begin their own startup firm.
Ques. What are some top Universities that offer this course?
Ans. There are some Universities that offer PhD. International Relations like Amity University, Panjab University, University of Madras, MGU, Karnataka University, Sikkim University and many more.
Ques. Is it important to practice last year question papers before the Entrance Exam?
Ans. Yes, it will only benefit you if you will go through the last year question papers since it will give you the idea regarding what type of questions were there and how to prepare for the exam accordingly.
Ques. What kind of questions are there in the PhD International Relations Entrance Exam?
Ans. There are two sections one covers objective sort of questions while other covers subjective questions that are related to the concerned subject.