PHD Philosophy or Doctor of Philosophy in Philosophy is a 3 Years to 6 Years course aimed to equip students with research skills and specialist knowledge in Philosophy.
The minimum eligibility to pursue PHD Philosophy is to have a Master’s Degree. in Philosophy or Literature study or anM.Phil Degree.
Students can gain admission to PHD Philosophy in India on the basis of entrance exams such as CSIR UGC NET, UGC-NET, JNUEE, etc.
The average annual tuition fee for the PHD Philosophy courses ranges from INR 50,000 to INR 5 LPA in India.
Major PHD Philosophy subjects are like development and research of several theses such as Indian Philosophical studies, Western Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, etc. It focuses on the development and research of thesis such as Indian Philosophical studies, Western Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, etc. and ensuring the safe, well-resourced project completion and thesis development from research.
Tabulated below are the top universities offering PHD Philosophy in India, as per the rankings of NIRF, 2020.
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||Entrance Based||64,050||22 LPA|
|8||Jawaharlal Nehru University||Entrance Based||1,381||16 LPA|
|12||Jadavpur University||Entrance Based||30,000||10 LPA|
|23||Indian Institute of Technology, Indore||Entrance Based||70,900||20 LPA|
|26||Indian Institute of Technology BHU||Entrance Based||46,815||14.75 LPA|
The PHD Philosophy course expands the career possibilities of candidates seeking work in the fields of Research, Education, Literature, Civil service, Politics Communications, HR, and Advertising, etc.
Qualified candidates can start their careers with jobs like Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department, Philosophical/ Literature Researcher, etc.
This course often lands graduates higher-paying jobs owing to their experience in this field and the knowledge overload. However, the average annual salary of these professionals ranges for INR 10-20 LPA.
Some of the top recruiters in this field are IIT Patna, Mathworks, Archaeological Survey of India, Nalanda University, Election Commission of India, FLAME University, CNN, BBC, Dr.Reddy's Laboratories, etc.
Apart from, making a career in the job field, PHD Philosophy can continue their research on the relevant field or can even explore the opportunities of conducting seminars in a foreign country.
PHD Philosophy Admission Process
The admission process for PHD Philosophy in India is offered on the basis of national level entrance exams such as CSIR UGC NET, UGC-NET, or college level entrance exams such as, JNU Entrance Exam, etc.
The selection process is then followed by the counseling procedure or personal interview round by the respective college on the basis of which final seat allotment is done.
Following are the steps to keep in mind while applying for PHD Philosophy Admission:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of the college and register by filling the online application. Provide the required details like name, mobile number, email ID, etc.
- Step 2: Log-in using the unique Login ID that is generated. Candidates will have to provide required details such as personal and academic like Gender, Address Subject, Marks, etc.
- Step 3: Upload the required scanned copies of the documents like mark sheet, certificates, photograph, signature, etc in the required size and format as mentioned by the college.
- Step 4: Apply for the entrance exam.
- Step 5: Candidates have to pay the application fee online or as mentioned by the college. Once the payment of the application fee is successful, the confirmation will be sent to the candidates through the mail.
- Step 6: Candidates should download and save the application form to get the admit cards for the entrance exam in the future.
- Step 7: Appear for the entrance exam.
- Step 8: After successfully giving the exam, a list of qualified candidates will be issued.
- Step 9: Qualified candidates will then have to appear for personal interview rounds to enroll themselves in the university.
PHD Philosophy Eligibility
Following are the eligibility criteria for the PHD Philosophy course-
- Candidates seeking admission in PHD Philosophy course must have a Master’s Degree in Arts, Philosophy or literature such as M.A. (Philosophy) or M.Phil Degree from a recognized university.
- A minimum of 50% aggregate or equivalent CGPA is required for admission in the course.
- Students need to clear entrances followed by a personal interview for admission.
PHD Philosophy Entrance Exams
Some of the PHD Philosophy entrance tests are:
- CSIR UGC NET 2020: This is a national level Junior Research Fellowship and Lectureship test, conducted by NTA for Ph.D. admission to various Institutes.
- UGC NET 2020: This is a Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professorship test which will be conducted after July for Ph.D. Courses admission.
- JNUEE 2020: JNUEE is conducted by the Jawaharlal Nehru University in order to shortlist students for various postgraduate degree programs.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|CSIR UGC NET 2020||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|UGC NET 2020||March 16 - June 30, 2020||To be announced||Online|
|JNUEE 2020||March 2- June 15, 2020||To be announced||Online|
How do one prepare for the PHD Philosophy entrance exams?
PHD Philosophy entrance exams are one of the most comprehensive exams, therefore following tips should be considered for better performance:
- PHD Philosophy entrance exams are the most comprehensive competitive exams for research opportunities. Candidates should analyze the time and days that they require for thorough preparation.
- Science & Mathematical concepts should be studied well. Questions will be asked about Quantitative ability, General Ability, Engineering, Statistics, etc. Candidates should manage the time according to each subject and topic.
- Candidates should solve sample question papers and take several mocks tests and model tests to know the exam pattern. This way, candidates have an idea about the exam pattern which will save a lot of time during the exam.
- Candidates should learn to effectively manage their time to answer 65 questions in about three hours, which will carry 100 marks in total. Candidates should have hands-on practice of shortcuts for mathematical questions which will save time for revision.
- Since it is a research-based subject candidates must subscribe to weekly journals to keep themselves updated about that particular field.
How to get admission in a good PHD Philosophy college?
To get admission in top PHD Philosophy colleges like IIT Kanpur, Jadavpur University, Chandigarh University, keep in mind the following things-
- Exceptional marks and performance in the Master’s Degree and in required entrance exams are required to secure a place in a top college.
- Apart from this candidate’s performance in the interview should be excellent, based on which the final selection will be done.
- Aspirants should be excellent at performing research with findings of research conducted by them.
- Be informed about the course cut-offs, eligibility, important dates, application process & fee, and deadlines to always stay updated.
- Candidates should prepare for the exam well in advance and cover all the required topics related to a general attitude, engineering, etc.
PHD Philosophy: What is it About?
Read below points to know what PHD Philosophy is all about-
- The PHD Philosophy degree is one of the highest level degrees that includes philosophical orientations to conduct in-depth research for constructing conceptualism and scale development processes.
- The program can be pursued only full time by the candidates as a Ph.D. degree from distance will not be recognized.
- The minimum duration of this course is 3 years and the maximum is 6 years for students seeking jobs in this sector.
- Ph.D. in philosophy is an advanced step that prepares students for becoming teachers of philosophies and various other independent ventures.
- The major skills required to pursue a PHD Philosophy are good research conducting skills, Good verbal and written communication skills, analytical skills, etc
- The course will provide knowledge about typical research development, statistical, data analysis, problem-solving, etc.
- The course also includes time to time evaluation and practice including readings for the course which are the primary part of the course.
PHD Philosophy: Course Highlights
Some of the major highlights of the course are as follows.
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy in Philosophy|
|Duration||3 Years to 6 Years|
|Eligibility||Masters degree + the candidates should have cleared the Entrance test conducted by the respective university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based followed by a round of Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 5 LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 10 - 20 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Research, education, literature, law, banking, the civil service, business and science, analyst, PR or politics. Communications, publishing, HR, and advertising, etc.|
|Job Positions||Senior Research and Development Manager, Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department, Philosophical/ Literature Researcher, Political Advisor, etc|
Why study PHD Philosophy?
Following are some of the benefits of pursuing a PHD Philosophy:
- Top Skills Acquired: Skills such as verbal and written communication, conducting in-depth research, problem-solving, clear and disciplined thinking and analysis, formulation of the problem, data collection, processing, and analysis are some core learning that a student will inculcate while pursuing the course
- Vast Job Opportunities: A career in this field is one of the top career choices made by the students in India. The course provides vast career scope in both public and private sectors in profiles such as Senior Research and Development Manager, Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department, Philosophical/ Literature Researcher, Political Advisor, etc.
- Top Industries: Students with a PHD Philosophy get some of the popular industries to work in such as research, education, literature, law, banking, the civil service, business and science, analyst, PR, or politics. Communications, publishing, HR, and advertising, etc.
- In-Depth Knowledge: Students will get trained in conducting research-based studies and advanced theosophical studies in the field of Philosophy. They will gain knowledge about its applications which will provide them a more detailed insight into research-oriented thesis development and also an in-depth study of the specialization fields of philosophy and their applications in day-to-day lives.
- Lucrative Salary: A PHD Philosophy graduate is entitled to receive a higher amount of salary owing to the knowledge one acquires while studying research. They are entitled to receive an average starting salary of 10 - 20 LPA which increases with seniority and experience on the field.
The table below holds a comparison between PHD Philosophy vs. M.Phil Philosophy
|Parameters||PHD Philosophy||M.Phil Philosophy|
|Course Overview||It focuses on the development and research of thesis such as Indian Philosophical studies, Western Philosophy, Modern Philosophy, etc. and ensuring the safe, well-resourced project completion and thesis development from research.||M.Phil Philosophy is a postgraduate academic research degree in Philosophy which focuses on Human Science, Philosophical Foundations, Analysis, advanced research findings, etc.|
|Duration||3 Years to 6 Years||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Master’s Degree in Arts, Literature, or Philosophy.||Master’s Degree from a recognized university/board.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance exam based followed by a round of Personal Interview||Entrance-Based.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 - 5 LPA||INR 20,000- 1 LPA|
|Top Colleges||IIT Kanpur, Jadavpur University, Chandigarh University, IIT BHU, Jawaharlal Nehru University, IIT Gandhinagar, etc.||Jadavpur University, Chandigarh University, Delhi University, Jawaharlal Nehru University, Mumbai University, University of Kolkata, etc|
|Average Salary||INR 10 - 20 LP A||INR 6 - 12 LPA|
|Job Roles||Senior Research and Development Manager,, Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department, Philosophical/ Literature Researcher, Senior Market Analyst, Data Analyst, Political Advisor, etc||Lecturer, Speaker, Teacher, Assistant Professor, Consultant, Human Services Worker, Scientist, Social Service Workers, Research Assistant, Quality Control Expert, Editor, etc|
Source: University websites and Payscale
PHD Philosophy Colleges
Some of the top colleges providing PHD Philosophy India courses are-
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees (INR)||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||Kanpur||64,050||22 LPA|
|Jawaharlal Nehru University||Delhi||1,381||16 LPA|
|Jadavpur University||Kolkata||30,000||10 LPA|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Indore||Indore||70,900||20 LPA|
|Indian Institute of Technology BHU||Varanasi||46,815||14.75 LPA|
|University of Calcutta||Kolkata||4,400||8LPA|
|Delhi University||Delhi||24,000||11.75 LPA|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Gandhinagar||48,500||6.6 LPA|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||9,285||12 LPA|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||85,000||16 LPA|
IIT Kanpur and JNU are amongst the top colleges offering PHD Philosophy. We have done an in-depth comparison of both in the table below.
|Parameters||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur||Jawaharlal Nehru University Delhi|
|College overview||The institute has been ranked 5th by NIRF and offers UG, PG, integrated, and research programs in the field of Engineering, Science, Management, and Design.||It is ranked 2nd in NIRF and has been awarded the Best University Award from the President of India. The university offers various UG, PG and research degree courses.|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree in Science, Arts or Engineering with 55% marks||Master's Degree in a related field from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 64,050||INR 1,381|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 22 LPA||INR 16 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Flipkart, Zomato, Yahoo, Microsoft, Accenture, Bharat Petroleum, Uber, Myntra, IBM, Barclays, Yes Bank, Bosch, Ford, TCS, ITC Limited, Mahindra Finance, Deloitte, KPIT, Capital One, Star labs, EXL, Early Salary, etc.||Adobe, Microsoft, Google, Oracle, IBM, NIIT, Newgen, Wipro, HCL, Sopra, Aricent, Cadence, Comverse, Amazon, Genpact, Naggaro, Oracle, Sapient, Siemens, Accenture, etc|
PHD Philosophy Syllabus
The core PHD Philosophy syllabus, which every aspirant needs to study throughout the course duration is tabulated below-
|Paper I (Research)|
|Introduction to Research Methodology|
|Data Collection and Organization|
|Principles of Thesis Preparation|
|Research tools and studies|
|Paper II (Optional)|
|Theory of knowledge|
|Advanced course in philosophy of science|
|Advanced course in logic|
|Advanced course in formal methods|
|Philosophy of statistics|
|Philosophy of the computer and information science|
|Philosophy of mathematics|
|Philosophy of language|
|Critical Reading in Philosophical Texts|
|Philosophy of language|
|Philosophy of Social Sciences|
|Paper III Elective (Indian Philosophical Studies)|
|Sankara’s Commentary on first Four Sutra|
|Ishvara Krishna- Samkhya karika|
|The Nyaya Theory of Knowledge|
|The First and Last Freedom|
|Reason and Tradition in Indian Thought|
|New Perspectives in Indian Philosophy Chapters|
|Paper IV Elective (Western Philosophical Studies)|
|Kant- Critique of Pure Reason,|
|Wittgenstein- Philosophical Investigations|
|A Treatise of Human Nature Book|
|Some Main Problems of Philosophy|
|How To Do Things With Words|
|Concept of Mind|
|‘Freedom and Resentment’ and Other Essays|
|Being and Nothingness|
|Being and Time|
|Paper V (Mandatory)|
|Comprehensive Viva Voce|
PHD Philosophy Books
Tabulated below are some of the PHD Philosophy Books books that can help aspirants to have a broader and better understanding of the course.
|Name of the book||Author|
|Educational Ideas of Tagore and Gandhi||Mani R S|
|A Guide through the subject||C. Grayling|
|Perspective on Philosophy of Science in Nursing||Carol Polifroni|
|Analytic Philosophy||P. Martinich|
|Fundamentals of Philosophy- Philosophy of Science||Alexander Bird|
|Introduction to Philosophical Logic||Anthony C.Grayling|
PHD Philosophy Jobs Prospects and Career Options
PHD Philosophy graduates have vast career options and higher-paying jobs owing to the knowledge and experience they have acquired over the years of study.
After successful completion of the PHD Philosophy course, graduates can seek employment in various industries like research, Education, Literature, Law, Civil Service, Science Analytics, Politics. Communications, Publishing, etc.
Research Scientist and Philosophy professors are the most popular PHD Philosophy jobS profiles pursued by the graduates. The job prospects are open in both the private and public sectors for the graduate of PHD Philosophy.
Some of the top recruiters are IIT Patna, Mathworks, Archaeological Survey of India, Nalanda University, Election Commission of India, FLAME University, CNN, BBC, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, etc. These top companies hire such professionals offering them an average salary of INR 10-20 LPA
Some of the major job profiles associated with the course, along with the average salary are as follows:
|Job Role||Job Responsibilities||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|Assistant Professor||They design curriculum plans for student learning, conduct class discussions to ensure student engagement, provide academic counseling, maintain student records, and assess student coursework.||15 LPA|
|Literature Researcher||Their main responsibilities include conducting literature reviews, collecting and analyzing data, and preparing materials for submission.||8 LPA|
|Human Service Worker||Social and human service assistants/workers provide client services, including support for families, in a wide variety of fields, such as psychology, rehabilitation, and social work. They assist other social workers, and they help clients find benefits or services.||6 LPA|
|Novelist/Writer||Main work is to conjure up ideas and write it in a new and interesting way making Philosophical content more readable and engaging to the audience.||9 LPA|
|Journalist/Editor||Journalists research, write, edit, proofread and file news stories, features, and articles for use on television and other electronic media such as radio and internet or within magazines, journals and newspapers.||12 LPA|
|Critic||To evaluate and rate work according to the piece of work presented in front of them. It can be Movies, books, magazines or other works.||7 LPA|
PHD Philosophy Scope
The PHD Philosophy course is respected globally as it is one of the highest forms of studies. Post obtaining a degree in the course, candidates have higher job scope and vast job opportunities.
On completion of the PHD Philosophy program, candidates can opt for a wide range of professions such as:
- With the PHD Philosophy degree, students will be able to make their careers in the field of Research, Professor, Literature, Analyst, etc. The scope in this field is continuously increasing at a fast pace and will continue to accelerate in the future also.
- There are a large number of domains both in the private as well as in the public sector where a PHD Philosophy Philosophy graduate can work.
- PHD Philosophy holders are also invited by foreign universities to conduct research and seminars.
- These professionals can also have their own online portal to share wide philosophical contents as well as can offer various philosophical sessions on interesting topics..
To conclude, PHD Philosophy offers various attractive career options and you can choose according to your skills and areas of interest.
PHD Philosophy: FAQs
Ques. What are some of the PHD Philosophy jobs?
Ans. You get vast career options and can choose from the following fields to work as Senior Research and Development Manager, Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department, Philosophical/ Literature Researcher,Political Advisor, etc
Ques. Is a PHD Philosophy worth it?
Ans. Graduates with a PHD Philosophy degree will be well-positioned to get high-paying research or analyst level jobs with an average annual salary of INR 10 - 20 LPA.
Ques. How is a PHD Philosophy?
Ans. The PHD Philosophy course provides advanced theosophical and research-oriented education and aims at providing a broad professional background in philosophy to the students. Students will be studying a variety of topics based on ongoing research activities at the Department of Philosophy.
Ques. Which top colleges in India provide a PHD Philosophy?
Ques. What Scope does a PHD Philosophy degree have?
Ans. PHD Philosophy course makes an individual familiar with the fundamentals of Philosophy. Post obtaining a degree of the course, candidates are recommended to choose from the prominent career job opportunities such as Senior Research and Development Manager, Senior Research Scientist, Assistant Professor, Head of the educational department, Philosophical/ Literature Researcher, etc.
Ques. What is the admission process to apply for a Ph.D. Philosophy program?
Ans. The admission process for the PHD Philosophy course depends on the entrance tests such as CSIR/UGC-JRF, CSIR/UGC, JEST/GATE, etc. The qualified candidates will be further selected on the basis of personal interview.
Ques. What will I get to study during my PhD Philosophy course?
Ans. You will get to study about Philosophical Statistics, Research Methodology, Theory of knowledge, Advanced course in philosophy of science, Literature Survey, Data Collection and Organization, Advanced course in logic, Principles of Thesis Preparation, etc.
Ques. What is the average fee and salary of a PHD Philosophy pass out?
Ans. The average course fee to study a full-time PHD Philosophy program is around INR 50,000 to 5 lakhs and the average annual salary can range from INR 10 to 20 LPA.
Ques. What can I do with a PHD Philosophy?
Ans. On completion of the PHD Philosophy program, candidates can opt for a wide range of professions. With the PHD Philosophy degree, students will be able to make their careers in the field of Research, Professor, Literature, Analyst, etc. The scope in this field is continuously increasing at a fast pace and will continue to accelerate in the future also. There are a large number of domains both in the private as well as in the public sector where a PHD Philosophy graduate can work.
Ques. Is a PHD Philosophy program challenging?
Ans. PHD Philosophy courses are challenging for the students to conduct intensive research and develop a well-structured thesis. However, graduates with strong motivation and determination skills can compete well to graduate in this course.