PhD in Public Administration or Doctor of Philosophy in Public Administration is a 3 to 5 years spanned doctoral categorical course in India. For regular scholars, this span is around 3 years and for part-time scholars, this span ranges around 5 years.
The minimum eligibility criteria for taking PhD Public Administration is having an allied arts PG degree. The PhD aspirants should have a minimum of 55% in the PG degree from any recognizable Indian institution with good academic experience if required.
Master degree holders can get admission to PhD in Public Administration courses after appearing in any national or institute level entrance exams, counselling or interviews as deemed valid by the affiliated university.
Some institutions prefer to relax the minimum eligibility criteria after taking academic performances and experiences of the PhD aspirants into consideration. NET and GATE are the common national level entrances for this doctoral degree in Public Administration.
Top colleges offering doctoral degree in Public Administration across the country are given below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College/University Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees (in INR)||Average Salary Offered (in INR)|
|3||Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi||Entrance-based||8,000||8 LPA|
|5||Presidency College, Chennai||Merit-based||22,000||7 LPA|
|19||Savitribai Phule Pune University-[SPPU], Pune||Entrance-based||20,000||6.5 LPA|
|55||Banasthali Vidyapith University, Jaipur||Entrance-based||1,45,000||5 LPA|
|76||Maharshi Dayanand University- [MDU], Rohtak||Entrance-based||9,000||6 LPA|
The total average fee charged by colleges or universities for PhD in Public Administration ranges from INR 10,000 to 2 Lakhs depending upon the college and university.
Maximum salary earned after doing the PhD in Public Administration is around INR 8 Lakhs Per Annum and the minimum package offered will be around 4 Lakhs Per Annum.
Top recruiting areas in which PhD in Public Administration degree holders find employment include Indian Civil Services, Education Institutions, Public Works, Tribal Administration, Revenue department, Corporate Management, etc.
PhD in Public Administration Admission Process
The top most awarded degree of PhD in Public Administration admits candidates on the merit-based or entrance-based or entrance-based with interview depending upon the regulations mandated by the affiliated University.
- Merit-based admission method admits PhD aspirants into the Public Administration program on the basis of the PG CGPA or Percentage and score of 10+2 examination/10th examination.
- Prior work experience may be required for admission relaxations.
- A personal interview may also be required.
- Entrance-based admission method admits PhD aspirants into the Public Administration program on the basis of entrance score and minimum eligibility criteria towards the PhD admission.
- The entrance exams are conducted at the national or Institution level depending upon the opted PhD offering institution.
- Prior work experience might be needed for admission relaxations.
- A personal interview may also be required
PhD in Public Administration Eligibility
- Candidates who wish to get admitted into PhD Public Administration degree should have secured a least of 55 percentage in PG/UG from any recognized Indian institution.
- Central universities and other popular arts universities/institutions might prefer around 80% as the minimum eligible marks in PG and UG degrees.
- Prior experience might impart you a relaxation in the admission criteria in some institutions.
- Interview is conducted for the students who have qualified the entrance exam.
PhD in Public Administration Entrance Exams
There are several entrance exams which are conducted in order to shortlist candidates for admission into PhD in Public Administration. Some of the most popular exams are listed below.
- PET 2020: PET stands for PhD Entrance Test. This Entrance is annually administered by Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU), situated at Aurangabad.
- GATE 2020: GATE stands for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. GATE is administered by one of the IITs every year serving as the exam conducting body in turns towards the admission of PG and PhD aspirants.
- IGNOU PET 2020: IGNOU PET stands for Indira Gandhi National Open University PhD Entrance Test. This is conducted nationally by Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- UGC NET 2020: UGC NET or University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test is exclusively conducted by UGC towards admission into various disciplined courses. Qualification of this exam exempts out many institution level entrances conducted across India.
- SET 2020: SET stands for Symbiosis Entrance Test. SET is created and administered by Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communication situated in Pune for admitting interdisciplinary candidates into various UG, PG, and PhD degrees.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|PET 2020||3rd week of May to 4th week of 2020||Tentatively in August 2020||Online|
|GATE 2020||3rd September to 5th October of 2019||February 1, February 2, February 8, and February 9, 2020||Online|
|IGNOU PET 2020||Last extended till 30th June of 2020||Not yet released||Online/Offline|
|UGC NET 2020||16th March to 16th April of 2020||June 15 to June 20, 2020||Online|
|SET 2020||From 22th January to May 20th of 2020 and Reopened from 11th June to 30th June of 2020||19th July of 2020||Online|
How to prepare for a PhD in Public Administration entrance exam?
Initial step for figuring out the strategic plan for cracking any entrance exam is to know the exam syllabus. The common sections included in the entrance exams admitting PhD in Public Administration candidates are shown below.
One can refer to the points given below to excel in any entrance exam:
- Make a proper and strategic plan that suits your daily hours of study.
- Master the English language and communication section by going through syllabus for ICSE or CBSE to be aware of the tough questions.
- Numerical part should be studied along with some shortcuts for easing complex multiplication operations in the exam.
- Reasoning parts have many sub-sections in it. Be aware of all of them.
- History and important political happenings across the country should be well versed. This could come as static GK in some entrances.
- Keep track of all the important dates regarding the entrance exams.
How to get admitted to a good PhD in Public Administration college?
- Know the top ranked institution all over India on the basis of any ranking agency that you prefer. NIRF is the most common ranking agency.
- Check whether the institutions offer merit or entrance based admission.
- If merit is accepted, choose the institution based on your PG percentage.
- If the admission is entrance based then perform well in the respective entrance exam. Be aware of the syllabus and the exam pattern.
- Allocate separate time for mocks
- Once done with the exam, start preparing for the personal interview round.
PhD in Public Administration: What is it About?
- The PhD in Public Administration course is all about administration. The candidates who wish to gain expertise in public administration and its related fields can pursue this course.
- The course imparts necessary skills to the scholars required for proper administration of people, towards the betterment of the society.
- This doctoral program is designed to include subjects like Research Methodology and Computer Applications, Public Systems Governance, Public Policy: Theoretical Perspectives, and Public Administration: Theoretical Perspectives in addition with some practical knowledge.
- The course imparts theoretical as well as practical knowledge about the subject. It is well known for providing day to day exposure to the students.
- Critical thinking, decision making and stress handling are the key attributes of this course.
PhD in Public Administration Course Highlights
|Course Name||PhD Public Administration|
|Course Level||Doctoral Degree|
|Full-Form||Doctorate of Philosophy|
|Duration||1 to 3 years for regular Ph.D. scholars. Up to 5 years for the part time scholars.|
|Examination type||Year wise course|
|Eligibility||Allied Post Graduation with around 55 % from any recognizable Indian institution as made valid by the admitting university|
|Admission Process||Merit-based and Entrance-based (Institute and national level entrances)|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 2 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 4 to 8 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||APCO Worldwide Limited, Cognizant, IBM, GCS, Gail India, Logica Pvt. Ltd., Ramboll-IMI Soft Private Limited, etc.|
|Top Recruiting arenas||Education institutions, Public Works, Corporate Management, Tribal Administration, Revenue department, Indian Civil Services, etc.|
|Job Positions||Social Worker, Corporate Manager, Teacher, Professor, Customs Inspector, Revenue Inspector, Consultant, Administrative Officer, etc.|
Why study PhD in Public Administration?
Some underlying reasons for one to choose PhD in Public Administration include:
- One who aspires to administer could choose this doctoral course so that they can use their skills for helping and guiding other people.
- having a doctoral degree increases the chances of getting paid more than INR 6 Lakhs Per Annum depending upon the exposure you have.
- During and post this doctoral degree, one has a wide opportunity to perform collaborative research with international researchers across the globe.
- Many master degree holders in many of the allied disciplines can take up this doctoral degree in Public Administration. For instance, one who has a master in Political Science can take up a PhD in Public Administration.
- Pursuing doctoral level degrees makes one eligible to work as a Professor in any government and non-government college or university.
PhD in Public Administration Course Comparison
PhD in Public Administration vs PhD in Social Work
PhD in Public Administration and PhD in Social Work are two different courses with different career prospects. Some of the key differences between the two courses are mentioned below.
|Parameters||PhD in Public Administration||PhD in Social Work|
|Overview||This doctoral level degree is all about inculcating administrative skills in an individual. Scholars learn the very basics of administration and the rules and regulations guarding it.||This doctoral degree prepares one to engage in social work. The course imparts necessary skills and knowledge about the basics of being a social activist.|
|Examination Type||Semester wise||Semester wise|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 to 2 Lakhs||INR 15,000 to 2 Lakhs|
|Duration||Minimum 3 years for regular scholars||Minimum 3 years for regular scholars|
|Eligibility||Allied Post Graduates with around 55 % from any recognized Indian institution.||PostGraduates with at least 50% aggregate from any recognized institution in India.|
|Admission Process||Merit and entrance-based||Merit and entrance-based|
|Top Recruiting areas||Education institutions, Public Works, Corporate Management, Tribal Administration, Revenue department, Indian Civil Services, etc.||NGOs, Education Institution, Governmental Child welfare, Women welfare, and Human rights departments, etc.|
|Job Roles||Social Worker, Corporate Manager, Teacher, Professor, Customs Inspector, Revenue Inspector, Consultant, Administrative Officer, etc.||CSR Representative, Community Mobilizer, Health Educator, Journalist, School and Career Counselor, Social Worker, Counselor, etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 4 to 8 LPA||INR 3 to 6 LPA|
PhD in Public Administration Top Colleges
Over 200 institutions offer PhD in Public Administration across the country. Some of the top colleges offering this course are mentioned below:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College/University Name||City||Average Annual Fees (in INR)||Average Salary Offered (in INR)|
|3||Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Varanasi||8,000||8 LPA|
|19||Savitribai Phule Pune University-[SPPU]||Pune||20,000||6.5 LPA|
|55||Banasthali Vidyapith University||Jaipur||1.45 Lakhs||5 LPA|
|76||Maharshi Dayanand University- [MDU]||Rohtak||9,000||6 LPA|
|101-150||Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU)||Aurangabad||10,000||4 LPA|
|101-150||Annamalai University||Chidambaram||25,000||6 LPA|
|101-150||Anna Adarsh College for Women||Chennai||35,000||4 LPA|
PhD in Public Administration College Comparison
Comparison pertaining to the top most colleges offering PhD under the aegis of Public Administration in India are given below.
|Parameters||Banaras Hindu University (BHU)||Presidency College||Savitribai Phule Pune University-[SPPU]|
|Overview||BHU or Banaras Hindu University is one of the top universities in India. It is a government central university offering Science, Arts, and Management categorical courses.||Presidency college is located in chennai. It is a private autonomous college offering Arts, Commerce, and Computer categorical courses.||Savitribai Phule Pune University is a governmental state university offering Education, Arts, Commerce, and Management categorical courses.|
|Eligibility||Allied Master degree with at least 55%||Allied Master degree with at least 55%||Allied Master degree with at least 50%|
|Average Fees in INR||8,368||50,000||20,000|
|Average Package Offered in INR||10 LPA||7 LPA||6.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiting companies||DHL, Intel, Reliance, IBM, Amazon, etc.||Deloitte, TCS, KPMG, EY, Infosys, etc.||DRDO, ISRO, Trilogy, Novartis, Keysight Technologies, etc.|
PhD in Public Administration Syllabus
The syllabus for PhD in Public Administration course is mentioned below.
|Course I - Research Methodology and Computer Applications||Course II - Public Systems Governance|
|Scientific Approach to Research||Introduction|
|Methods of Data Collection||Institutional Framework for Fighting Corruption|
|Analysis of Data and use of Computers||Regulatory Governance|
|Report Writing||Emerging Trends|
|Course III - Public Policy: Theoretical Perspectives||Course IV - Public Administration: Theoretical Perspectives|
|Models of Public Policy||Approaches|
|Approaches to Public Policy Analysis||Modern Approaches|
|Constraints on Public Policy||Contemporary Debates|
|Policy Implementation and Evaluation||Emerging Trends|
|Course V – Field Work||-|
PhD in Public Administration Books
Some of the books which one may be required to read while pursuing the course are given below:
|Name of the book||Author|
|Computer Applications in the Social Sciences||Jr. Ronal E. Anderson and Brent Edward E|
|Research Methodology- Concepts and Cases||Neena Sondhi and Chawla Deepak|
|Public Administration Research Methods- Tools for Evaluation and Evidence based practices||Gerber Eller|
|Statistical Methods||Gupta S P|
|Public Management and Governance Second Edition||Elke Löffler, eds., Bovaird, and Tony|
|Public Administration and Public Affairs||Nicholas and Henry|
|The State of Public Administration: Issues, Challenges and Opportunity||Donald Menzel|
PhD in Public Administration Job Prospects and Career Options
Post the completion of the course, the scholars get placed where there is a need for sound knowledge and skills pertaining to administration. Around 11 Lakhs Per Annum could be drawn after PhD in Public Administration.
Some of the job profiles available to such professionals are tabulated below along with their description.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary in INR|
|Management Consultant||He/she is consulted for improving any company in areas of Management, Productivity, and brand image||11 LPA|
|Social Worker||They are responsible for aiding people around them. They raise voices against any injustice prevailing in the society. They organize formal meetings and listen to people regarding their problems.||4 LPA|
|Professor||A professor is responsible towards education and training methods adopted for imparting valuable knowledge to the students.||10 LPA|
|Corporate Manager||He takes care of the various managerial activities in an organization like sales, production, administration, overhaul, etc.||6 LPA|
|Administrative Officer||He takes care of all the administration related activities in an organization that put forth an equilibrium and smoothness in the functioning of that organization.||4 LPA|
PhD in Public Administration Scope
- A PhD in Public administration comes with various jobs and career opportunities. Students preparing for Indian civil services show keen interest in pursuing this course. One primary reason being the ability of the course to teach them skills and expertise in administration related roles.
- Post the completion of the course one can choose to be a professor in any government or private college or university. One can even work as a corporate manager or administrative officer in any government run industry.
- After much expertise and skills in basic managerial roles in the organization, PhD in Public Administration professionals have chances to play executive roles in the organization.
- The growing interest of students in this particular course forecasts an ever increasing scope for this course in the near future.
PhD in Public Administration: FAQs
Ques. What does PhD in Public Administration stand for?
Ans. PhD in Public Administration means Doctorate of Philosophy in Public Administration.
Ques. Which are some of the top institutes offering PhD in Public Administration?
Ans. Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Presidency college, Banasthali vidyapith are some of the top institutes offering PhD in Public Administration.
Ques. Are there any entrance exams being conducted for admission into PhD in Public Administration?
Ans. UGC NET, SET, PET, GATE, IGNOU PET, etc. are some of the popular entrance exams conducted for admission into PhD in Public Administration.
Ques. Any Integrated programs available with PhD in Public Administration?
Ans. MPhil. + PhD in Public Administration and PhD in Public Administration and Political Science.
Ques. Are the dates for admission into Phd in Public Administration degree program being postponed due to COVID!9 pandemic?
Ans. Yes, all the admission related processes have been postponed for the time being. But it will resume shortly.
Ques. What are some of the common subjects taught under PhD in Public Administration?
Ans. Research Methodology and Computer Applications, Public Systems Governance, Public Policy: Theoretical Perspectives, and Public Administration: Theoretical Perspectives, etc
Ques. Which institutes offer good placement opportunities for PhD in Public Administration degree program?
Ans. Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Annammlai university, Presidency college are some of the institutes which have good placement records for the course.
Ques. What are some of the top government institutions offering PhD in Public Administration?
Ans. Savitribai Phule Pune University-[SPPU], Annamalai University, and Maharshi Dayanand University- [MDU] are some of the top government institutes offering PhD in Public Administration course.
Ques. What are some of the top private institutions offering PhD in Public Administration?
Ans. Presidency College and Banasthali Vidyapith University are two of the top private institutions offering PhD in Public Administration course.