Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management or PGDBM is a 2- year professional postgraduate level diploma course in Business Management. It covers topics like Organizational Behaviour, Marketing Management, Business Economics, etc.
The basic eligibility for PGDBM is a Bachelor's degree of minimum 3 years duration in any discipline from a recognized college/university. The candidates should have at least 50% aggregate marks at the graduation level to be eligible for the course.
Key Highlights for PGDBM
The admission to this course is usually on the basis of entrance exam scores. Some of the popular entrance exams for this course are CAT, XAT, GMAT, CMAT, MAT, among others. Even after the entrance exams, some colleges also arrange a written test followed by a personal interview for the final shortlisting of candidates.
PGDBM can be pursued on full time, part-time, or executive modes. Some of the top colleges according to NIRF Management Ranking 2020 which offer a PGDBM course are given in the table below:
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||Location||Average Annual fee (INR)||Average Placement package (INR)|
|5||Vinod Gupta School of Management (IIT Kharagpur)||Kharagpur||4,00,000||16,99,000|
|9||Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur||11,50,000||15,42,000|
|22||Symbiosis Institute of Business Management||Pune||6,75,500||16,23,000|
|24||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai||48,200||17,79,000|
|76 - 100||Shoolini University||Solan||1,50,000||10,00,000|
The average annual fees to study a full-time PGDBM program ranges between INR 50,000 - 20,00,000.
PG Diploma in Business Management is also provided in distance learning mode by colleges such as Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning, MIT School of Distance Education, Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, etc. The average annual fees for a distance PGDM program ranges from INR 50,000 - 2,00,000.
|Alert: The dates of many PGDBM entrance exams and the admission dates of many colleges have been shifted due to the COVID-19 crisis. The registrations for MAT 2020 have been cancelled with immediate effect.|
After completing this course, the candidate will find job opportunities in the field of Business Development, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Human Resource, etc.
A PGDBM graduate is generally offered positions like Business Development Manager, Financial Analyst, Business Administrator, Finance Manager, Accounting Head, Product Manager, etc. The average salary offered to the candidate pursuing the PGDBM program ranges from INR 3 LPA to 15 LPA.
If the candidates wish to pursue higher education, they can go for a PhD in Management in relevant specializations. Since it is a diploma course, the candidates can also go for master degrees like MBA if they feel relevant in future.
PGDBM Admission Process
- The admission process for the PGDBM program depends on the national level entrance tests such as MAT, CAT, CMAT, GMAT, XAT, etc.
- The qualified candidates will be further selected on the basis of group discussion and PI/WAT.
- Some of the institutes also provide direct admission to the students either on merit basis or on management quota basis for PGDBM program.
The admission process is discussed below in a stepwise manner:
Step 1- Online Registration:
- Register on Online Application Portal of the college by filling the required details. After registering, students have to generate the log-in credentials.
- Log-in with the User ID and Password. Fill the online application form and provide personal and academic details like Gender, Address Subject, Marks, etc.
- Upload the scanned copies of all the required documents like certificates, mark sheet, photograph, signature, etc.
- The scanned copies must be in the required size and format as mentioned by the conducting body.
- After the successful payment of the application fee, save and take a print of the form for future use.
Step 2 - Entrance Exams :
- Admit cards will be issued to the eligible students by the exam conducting authority on their official website itself.
- The candidates will have to appear for the exam on the allocated date and time.
Step 3 - Result and Cutoffs : The cut-offs will be announced by the conducting bodies or the colleges and candidates will be notified about the results whether they have qualified the exam or not. Check the latest CAT cutoff.
Step 4 - Written Test, Group Discussions and Personal Interview: The qualified candidates will have to appear for group discussion and personal interview or WAT rounds as per the guidelines given by respective colleges.
Step 5 - Seat Allotment: Finally the seats will be allotted to the shortlisted candidates. The communication will go to the students who have been shortlisted.
Following are the eligibility criteria for the PGDBM program-
- Candidates seeking admission in PGDBM must have Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with minimum 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University/Institute.
- The minimum marks for admission in the program may vary from college to college.
- There is no minimum age to apply for this program.
PGDBM Entrance Exams
Some of the PGDBM exams are:
- XAT 2020: This is a national level test, conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur on behalf of Xavier Association of Management Institutes for admission in over 700 B-schools.
- CAT 2020: Common Admission Test or CAT is conducted in the 3rd week of November for graduate management program admission to over 1200 B-schools.
- MAT 2020: Management Aptitude Test is a national level exam conducted by the All India Management Association (AIMA) for admission to various management colleges.
- CMAT 2020: Common Management Admission Test is a national level entrance exam conducted by NTA accepted by 1000+ institutes across the country.
- GMAT 2020: It is conducted by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC) for management programs globally and is accepted by top business schools.
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date*||Exam Mode|
|XAT 2020||3rd week of August 2020||1st week of January 2021||Online|
|CAT 2020||August 4, 2020||November (to be decided)||Online|
|MAT 2020||June 24, 2020||July 4, 2020||Online|
|CMAT 2020||November 2020||January 2021||Online|
|GMAT 2020||All year||Multiple dates||Online|
How to prepare for PGDBM Entrance Exams?
PG Diploma in Business Management entrance exams are one of the most comprehensive exams, therefore following tips should be considered to perform better:
- To cover all the topics, the preparation should start well in advance. Questions included will test a candidate's analytical skills, data interpretation skills, verbal skills, general knowledge, etc.
- Analytical & Mathematical concepts should be studied well. Questions will be asked about Verbal ability, Data interpretation and Quantitative ability, decision making, logical reasoning, and general knowledge. Candidates should prepare for the exam with accurate guidance, the right preparation sources, and dedication.
- Candidates should conduct practice sessions with sample question papers, mocks & quizzes, and model tests to know the exam pattern well in advance. This way, candidates can analyze the errors and improve upon it by formulating the strategy to attempt the entrance exam more effectively.
- Candidates should learn to effectively manage their time to answer about 180-200 questions in about two hours, which means about a minute should be given to answer each question. Candidates should know the tips and tricks and shortcuts for mathematical questions. This will save time for revision.
- Make a habit of going through the latest news, read the newspaper daily to enhance your general knowledge skills. General knowledge and current affairs questions are often asked in entrance exams and sometimes in personal interviews and group discussion rounds too. Topics related to History, geography, basic science, and entertainment are also included in the paper.
How to get admission in a good PGDBM college?
To get admission in top PGDBM colleges, keep in mind the following things-
- Make sure your Bachelor’s Degree marks and your performance in required entrance exams are exceptional to secure a place in a top college. Better the performance, the higher are the chances of admission into a top PGDBM college.
- Practical Experience in the related field would be a plus.
- Candidates should prepare for the exam with accurate guidance, the right preparation sources, and dedication. Analytical & Mathematical concepts should be studied well.
- Candidates should also be mentally prepared for the PI round and Written test because you can get rejected there as well.
PGDBM: What is it About?
Read below points to know what PGDBM is all about-
- PG Diploma in Business Management program successfully prepares candidates with advanced knowledge, skills, and competencies in the key functional areas of management and also opens career scopes for them in many areas.
- It teaches graduates the business framework and the functionality of various business models.
- The program course equips you with strategic thinking tactics to improve organizational core competencies and manage any business at a fundamental level and optimize its value and functioning.
- PGDBM program covers the topics of marketing, information technology, economic framework, business laws, organizational behavior, business strategies, etc.
- After completion of a postgraduate diploma in business management program, candidates can seek jobs in Business Development, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Human Resource, etc
- The students can also choose to pursue a Ph.D. to master any management specializations.
PGDBM Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate Diploma|
|Full-Form||Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based & Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 20,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3 - 15 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||AB InBev, Accenture, Bain & Company, Boston Consulting Group, BYJUs, Capgemini, Cognizant, Coca-cola, CISCO, Deloitte, Dell, Edelweiss Tokio, EY, Google, Flipkart, Goldman Sachs, HCL, HDFC, IBM, Infosys, JP Morgan, L&T, McKinsey, PWC, Wipro, etc.|
|Job Positions||Business Development Manager, Financial analyst, Business Administrator, Finance Manager, Accounting Head, Product Manager, Marketing Manager, Management Consultant, Sales Manager, Marketing Strategist, Business adviser, Data analyst, etc.|
Why Study PGDBM?
Many students choose to study PGDBM because of the following reasons-
- Networking & Entrepreneurship :
PGDBM graduates are trained with having a knack for the current market scenario, good business sense, excellent analytical skills, and most importantly, powerful networking aptitude. This program helps develop graduates with a solid business network to venture out a new business and become successful entrepreneurs.
- Corporate Career :
Graduates who have earned a PGDBM degree can take up any job profiles such as Business Development Manager, Financial analyst, Business Administrator, Finance Manager, Accounting Head, Product Manager, etc.
- Top Skill Acquired :
This course will teach them about marketing, information technology, economic framework, business laws, organizational behavior, business strategies, Financial Derivatives. Along with these, this course will also impart important management skills like Risk Management, Trade & Marketing Management, Financial Management, Economic & Management Decisions, etc.
- Lucrative Job Opportunities :
PGDBM graduates are favored by multinational companies during recruitment. The course provides vast career scope in profiles Business Development, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Human Resource, etc. Some of the top recruiters are Bain & Company, Boston Consulting Group, BYJUs, Capgemini, Cognizant, Deloitte, Edelweiss Tokio, EY, Google, Goldman Sachs, HCL, HDFC, IBM, Infosys, JP Morgan, L&T, McKinsey, PWC, Wipro, etc.
PGDBM vs MBA
Both courses have different subjects and study areas. We have discussed the in-depth comparison of PGDBM and MBA below.
|Parameters||Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management||Masters of Business Administration|
|Overview||PGDBM is a diploma degree that focuses on the understanding of marketing, information technology, economics, business laws, organizational behavior, business framework, business thinking models, etc.||It is a full-time degree program that focuses on various business and management skills such as marketing, finance, human resource, international business, etc.|
|Course Content||It comprises subjects like organizational behavior, marketing management, business economics, HRM, etc.||It comprises subjects like accounting, business ethics, business law, entrepreneurship, marketing, supply-chain management, business strategy, etc|
|Domain||Business Management||Human Resource, Finance, Marketing, International Business, etc.|
|Degree Type||Post-Graduate Diploma||Post-Graduate|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 - 5 LPA||INR 2 - 30 LPA|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university/board.||Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university/board.|
|Admission Process||Admissions are both Entrance and Merit-Based.||Admission to this course is both entrance and merit-based.|
|Top Colleges||XLRI, NMIMS, Vinod Gupta School of Management, MSU Baroda, SIBM, etc||IIMs, XLRI, NMIMS, SIBM, etc.|
|Job Opportunities||Business Development Manager, Financial analyst, Business Administrator, Finance Manager, Accounting Head, Product Manager, Marketing Manager, Management Consultant, Sales Manager, Marketing Strategist, Business adviser, Data analyst, etc.||Account Manager, Business Analyst, Business Development Manager, HR Manager, Brand Manager, Equity Research Analyst, Management Consultant, Marketing Manager, Project Manager, etc|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3 - 8 LPA||INR 4 - 20 LPA|
Source: College Websites
PGDBM Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges in India providing PG Diploma in Business Management according to the NIRF Ranking are-
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees in INR||Average Annual Salary (INR)|
|5||Vinod Gupta School of Management||Kharagpur||4,00,000||16,99,000|
|9||Xavier Labour Relations Institute||Jamshedpur||11,50,000||15,42,000|
|22||Symbiosis International University||Pune||6,75,500||16,23,000|
|24||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies||Mumbai||48,200||17,79,000|
|76-100||University of Jammu||Jammu||25,000||5,00,000|
|-||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda||Vadodara||23,100||4,60,000|
Source: College Websites
PGDBM College Comparison
The table drawn below shows the comparison made among the three top colleges that offer PG Diploma in Business Management.
|Parameters||XLRI Jamshedpur||Vinod Gupta School of Management Kharagpur|
|Overview||The institute has been accredited by AICTE, NBA and offers various management programs such as PGDM (BM), PGDM (HRM).||It is a premier B-school accredited by AICTE and offers PG and doctoral level programs.|
|Ranking||NIRF 2020 - 9||NIRF 2020 - 5|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline.||Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 11,50,000||4,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 15.42 LPA||INR 16.99 LPA|
|Top companies visited||Boston Consulting Group, Accenture Strategy, Capgemini ELITE, Hindustan Unilever, Microsoft, Amazon, P&G, Aditya Birla Group, ITC, Avendus Capital, Standard Chartered.||Bloomberg, Ford, IBM, JP Morgan Chase, Facebook, Amazon, Ernst & Young, PwC, McKinsey & Co, HSBC, Deloitte, etc.|
Source: College Websites
PGDBM Distance Education
A large number of students prefer to opt for distance education for the PGDBM program. NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education provides a distance PGDBM program. The average PGDBM distance education fees are INR 43,000.
- The PGDBM course duration from distance is 2 years.
- In order to pursue a PGDBM from a distance one needs to have a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university/college.
- Admission is offered to students on the basis of merit or entrance depending upon the college’s selection criteria.
|University||Location||Average Annual Fees (INR)|
|NMIMS Global Access School for Continuing Education||Mumbai||43,000|
|MIT School of Distance Education||Pune||63,000|
|Symbiosis Center for Distance Learning||Pune||55,000|
Some of the core and major PG Diploma in Business Management, which every aspirant needs to study throughout the course duration are tabulated below semester wise-
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Management Theory and Practice||Business Communications|
|Organizational Behaviour||Essentials of HRM|
|Marketing Management||Business Law|
|Business Economics||Strategic Management|
|Financial Accounting and Analysis||Operational Management|
|Information System for Managers||Decision Science|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Organizational Theory Structure and Design||Corporate Finance|
|Cost and Management Accounting||Sales Management|
|Consumer Behaviour||Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Management|
|Digital MArketing||Business: Ethics, Governance & Risk|
|International Business||Research Methodology|
PGDBM Job Prospects and Career Options
After successful completion of the PGDBM program, graduates have vast career options. They can seek employment in Multinational organizations within the departments such as IT, Finance, Marketing, Education, Management Consulting, Travel & Tourism, Hospitality, FMCG, BFS, Business Development, Accounting, Economics, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Human Resource, etc.
Some of the top recruiters are :
- Bain & Company
- Boston Consulting Group
- Edelweiss Tokio
- Goldman Sachs
Some of the major job profiles associated with the PGDBM, along with the average salary are as follows:
|Job Role||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Business Development Manager||The business development manager is responsible for growing business by identifying new sales leads, pitching products or services to new clients, maintaining a good working relationship with the customer, communicating new product developments to prospective clients, and overseeing the development of marketing of the business.||INR 6.2 LPA|
|Marketing Manager||The marketing manager is responsible for managing the promotion and positioning of a brand or the products and services in an organization. Marketing managers focus on attracting more customers to buy from the company and to raise brand awareness through the creation of various marketing campaigns and strategies.||INR 7.4 LPA|
|Finance Manager||Financial managers are responsible for the financial health of an organization and focus on preparing financial reports, capital raising, direct investment activities, portfolio management, distribution of dividend, hedging and looking after fluctuations in foreign currency and product cycles, and develop strategies and plans for the long-term financial goals of their organization.||INR 9.98 LPA|
|Business Analyst||Business Analyst is responsible for defining business requirements by creating a detailed business analysis, outlining problems, opportunities and solutions for business, Budgeting, and forecasting, Planning, and monitoring, Variance analysis, Pricing, Reporting, etc.||INR 6.5 LPA|
|Product Manager||They are responsible for product planning and execution during the Product Life Cycle stage, defining the product vision, gathering and prioritizing product and requirements, engineering, sales, marketing, and customer satisfaction.||INR 20.51 LA|
PGDBM Future Scope
- After graduating from PG Diploma in Business Management, there are vast opportunities for qualified candidates and they can start their own business, work in a multinational company, go abroad, and can join an international organization, etc.
- Since it is a diploma course, a candidate can go for a masters course like MBA even after completing PGDBM.
- Candidates can also go for PhD in Management. It is a globally recognized doctorate degree that students can choose to opt for higher career prospects. PGDBM graduates can choose to specialize in a particular area for better career options.
- The candidates can also start their own consulting firms, business firms, etc and turn into Entrepreneurs.
Ques. What can I do after a PG Diploma in Business Management?
Ans. You get vast career options and can choose from the following fields to work in business, consulting, management, banking, accounting, finance, recruitment, human resources, markets, business policy, information technology, etc.
Ques. Is a PGDBM degree worth it?
Ans. Graduates with PGDBM degree will be well-positioned to pursue high-paying executive or managerial level jobs like Business Development Manager, Financial analyst, Business Administrator, Finance Manager, Product Manager, Marketing Manager, Management Consultant, Sales Manager, Data analyst, etc.
Ques. How is a PGDBM degree?
Ans. With a PGDBM degree, students are prepared for management, trade, or general business career equips students with skills, competencies, and advanced knowledge of the key functional areas of management.
Ques. Which top colleges in India provide a PGDBM program?
Ans. Xavier Labour Relations Institute, Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Vinod Gupta School of Management, Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Symbiosis International University, etc
Ques. What Scope does the PGDBM program have?
Ans. After graduating from PGDBM, there are vast opportunities for qualified candidates and they can start their own business, work in a multinational company, go abroad, and can join an international organization, etc.
Ques. Which is a better PGDBM or MBA?
Ans. PGDBM is a diploma degree that focuses on the understanding of marketing, information technology, economics, business laws, organizational behavior, business framework, business thinking models, etc. Whereas MBA is a full-time degree program that focuses on various business and management skills such as marketing, finance, human resource, international business, etc.
Ques. What roles can I apply for after completing my PGDBM?
Ans. Top job profiles, candidates can work in our Business Development Manager, Financial analyst, Business Administrator, Finance Manager, Product Manager, Marketing Manager, Management Consultant, Sales Manager, Data analyst, etc.
Ques. What is the admission process to apply for a PD Diploma in Business Management program?
Ans. The admission process for the PGDBM program depends on the national level entrance tests such as XAT, CMAT, CAT, GMAT, MAT, etc. The qualified candidates will be further selected on the basis of group discussion and PI/WAT. Some of the institutes also provide direct admission to the students either on a merit basis or on a management quota basis for PGDBM.
Ques. What will I get to study during the PGDBM program?
Ans. You will get to study organizational behavior, marketing management, business economics, financial accounting and analysis, HRM, Information systems, business communications, business laws, etc.